First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-04-19 03:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Amael said:
Learning Japanese is no easy task. Sure if we speak romanized we can get our points across "Sumimasen, nihongo-wa wakarimasen ; ;" but when they replied "私はローマ字のように日本語を行う" you can go O.O;;; If FFXI communication was verbal and not written then maybe we can all learn it eventually, but sadly it isnt. And I Cant bring myself to learn to read japanese.

on another point, no one has post this, read it, its good to learn the other side point of view.

http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=551

LOL

Most of the jp asnwered yes to the question about having a JP only server.

It seems they feel very much the same as english speakers do.

"Square Enix is alone in being proud of this. Many Japanese would select a JP server if they could, I think."

"It’s clearly a huge failure. I still want to use a segregated server. We’re not <[ NPC ]>s here for your assistance. "

"Square Enix just did this to boost their reputation. Many Japanese see it as a failure. Actually, once the NA version went on sale, there was an explosion of Japanese player cancellations. If I could have selected a Japanese-only server from the beginning, I would have done so."

Some are for mixed servers but most feel the same way alot of people do.

It would be interesting to see how many thought the same as i did, not giving a ***really but not going out of my way to party with jp, english in their view.
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-04-19 06:29:29
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree with any forced Segregation, but I do agree with setting up a couple of segregated worlds, and allowing people from heavily populated servers to seed them. Force segregation based on POL region. Simply for those who believe that it takes anything more than auto translate to play 99% of FFXI's content.

The biggest issue is that this isn't really based on racism, like a lot of people think. Granted, it does exist, even in this day and age, but the majority of the conflict is because JP don't like the fact you can't even read any of their alphabet; not even the katakana. If you could read the katakana, you would actually know what the words are without an English to Japanese dictionary. It's frustrating when they can at least read every letter you type, even if they don't know the words, but you can't read any of their letters. For most JP, it is more difficult to form words (particularly japanese words) and structure sentences with English characters.

Spaces, excessive punctuation, and variable interpretations of phonetics between hiragana/katakana to romaji are also annoying.

Personally, I can't even stand it when English players type in "Japanese" with english characters myself, and I'm American. It's like watching MacBeth acted out by 11 year olds with Down Syndrome.
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-04-19 07:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I totally agree with Tallulah. Well put, thanks to you my response will be so short.
"w"-- no i just didnt. lol
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-04-19 07:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think they should have a Japanese server. There are still numerous JPs who enjoy playing with Americans. I havent come across any JPs whom i have had run ins or problems with and gotten along well with all of them. Some of my best parties have been all JPs. I kind of felt like a turd in a punchbowl but got along great with everyone.
Yes i agree it does seem racist to segregate. To those who have misconceptions with different cultures and take offence to everydetail you dont like, Find another game.
There are so many JPs and Americans that enjoy playing together, lets keep it real.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-19 08:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghuda said:
If all the Jp move to their own server...who is gonna save all the besieged hostages :P

It's not about forcing anyone to move to a JPonly server, but giving the a choice to do so if they wish.

http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=551

I read all this and the answers that were given.
It seems to me that japanese players, or atleast those that answers these questions take all "foreigners" as same.

They all do like this or that

Im no foreigner though, I live in my own country. and vana'diel is a virtual place as far as I know and not a city in japan. Which makes everyone and no one foreigners in a game.

I myself have played with crappy players from all over the world, that includes crappy japanese players. And I have been the only non japanese player in parties where I know they can make themselves understood in english if they wanted to, but chose not to. There's no reaon to be offended for something like that imo. If I look for exp/merit party I wanna have exp/merits and in order to do my job well there's no room for philosific discussions.

Alot of people are rude in the game, and I dispise them just as much as the japanese players do.

Like people who expect you to party with them just because they ask, even if you didnt have the party flag up. And then get pissed off because you say no. I use my /blacklist alot though, so I rarely have the same problem twice with th same person.

I find it kinda offending that just because they have had bad experience with NA/EU players, they expect all NA/EU players do have no manners, be rude and bad players.

Fine if you know this or that guy is an ***, offcourse you dont wanna party with him. But if someone you have never talked with send you a tell asking if you want to party, and you dont even say "No Thanks". Isn't that rude? Would it kill them to give the nice NA/EU players a chance and just /blist ppl they know are bad or rude?

Alot of people the responded to this thread seems to be against a JPonly server. Why? They dont seem to mind. And again, it would be an option for them to move to a JPonly server. If given the option, and they move because they want to, I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you read the link above, most of the japanese ppl asked would move to a JPonly server if they could, but there was a few that is pro mixed servers as well. I higly doubt that given the oportunity every japanese player would move.

And even if they did, it would still not take away the multi culture from the game, because believe it or not, it's not just JP and NA players, even if those 2 are majority there are ppl from all over the world playing.

Still, this is just a forum, and this is just my opinion. But it seems like the ppl that are agains a JPonly server somehow is trying to "defend" the japanese players, that obviously wouldn't mind moving to a JPonly server.
[+]
 Unicorn.Callysto
Server: Unicorn
user: Callysto
By Unicorn.Callysto 2009-04-20 07:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm japanese and living in america and i started recently only partying/meriting during peak japanese play time because i'm honestly sick to death of english speaking crybabies and people who whine bout their personal lives. I don't pay damn near 20 dollars a month to hear you *** whine cry whinny bleat aad moo about your how friggin tough you have it, why your still single and lonely, or how taco bell tastes great with mt dew.

I also can't stand english speaking party snobs. If you are not pld red sam or drg they don't want you in the party. If you're not clearing at least 10k an hour xp they get a friggin attitude.

I don't ike about 50 percent of replacements...you just lose te hgroove no matter how you look a it. Those sometimes a replacement atually improves th e party.

Last but not least theres always some ennglish crybaby droning on about ot having someone power level the party.

The ones that dont magically force dc, stick around and complain more.

I have yet to experience any of this with my JP friends or even random JP parties.

It should be noted that there are some very cool and polite and all around awesome english players that I enjoy playing with.
 Garuda.Ishkur
Server: Garuda
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-04-20 08:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Callysto said:
I'm japanese and living in america and i started recently only partying/meriting during peak japanese play time because i'm honestly sick to death of english speaking crybabies and people who whine bout their personal lives. I don't pay damn near 20 dollars a month to hear you *** whine cry whinny bleat aad moo about your how friggin tough you have it, why your still single and lonely, or how taco bell tastes great with mt dew.

You are whining now :X luckilly we don't pay for FFXIAH.com
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-04-20 08:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I like having JP players around, and i enjoy playing with them, when i get the chance, I Have No Idea what they are saying most the time, and yet, i'm ok with it. if they wanted to communicate with me, they can use the Auto-translate. or if they know English, even if its "Crude"

I've had some ppl ask me to "please use the auto-translate function" and i have

I' my self have made a lot of JP friends in the past, and it was always fun playing with them, even if we Couldn't exactly understand each other. [and i really wish i knew the JP lang, so i could at least talk to them in there own lang.]

its Really just up to the individuals you encounter, some are tottal ***, others are nicer then your closest friend,

you can't take one person from an entire race, and judge that race baised on that one person (Even if that is what seems to be happening)

Have'n a "segregated" server wouldn't change that imo. you'll still run in to *** from I duno.. Russia, spain, Canada , and even your own back yard. "removing" the JP element wouldn't change a thing, -other then there being no more Jp around- even if it is optional,
 Asura.Ktjrn
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Ktjrn 2009-04-20 08:58:58
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

i agree with you totally blackmist. people should really try to be open-minded these days.

i think it's wonderful seeing ppl make friends with people from other countries, and showing a sincere interest in each other's languages. :)
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-20 09:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

JP players make Whitegate go round with their squiggly lines, JP-onry parties, and overall "Kiss my *** for not being JP" attitude. Everyone is an ***, regardless of which part of the world you were born in, and the only difference between us all is the amount of stinky ***we spew on a daily basis.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-20 09:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Blackmist said:
Have'n a "segregated" server wouldn't change that imo. you'll still run in to *** from I duno.. Russia, spain, Canada , and even your own back yard. "removing" the JP element wouldn't change a thing, -other then there being no more Jp around- even if it is optional,

Ya, given some of the people I've seen shouting the same inanities in WG day in and day out, I'm happy for something to break it all up. I haven't partied with JPs much, due to the fact that I play strictly during NA prime time for the most part, but the few times I have they've usually always been on top of their game and contributed a lot to the party as a whole...there have been exceptions, of course, but I've partied with a hell of a lot more "omg wtf r u doing?!" NA's then JP's.

And, like someone said earlier...I like having them around to get us the AC back and rescue our prisoners, 'cause Lord knows the NA's aren't gonna do it lol.

Anyways, if S-E did introduce segregated servers, it would suck, because I know that a lot of JP's would migrate to JP only servers; the responses to the Q&A session pretty much proves that point. I just wish the auto-translate was a little more comprehensive and easier to use, I think that would go a long way towards improving relations between JP's, NA's and EU's. I don't know how they could do it, really...I'm no programmer, but it'd be nice.

Does anyone have any examples of multi-cultural games that have translation features that are good? I'd like to read up on them, if only to see what it could be like in FFXI ^^
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 08:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

NA players are like obsessed with chatting with the auto-translator (Typing so boring!!). If Segregation of servers ever happens (which i doubt) will this practice decay? I rarely see a JP using the auto-translate function. If ever at all.

(/think) (anyone)?
 Phoenix.Miemo
user: Miemo
By Phoenix.Miemo 2009-04-21 08:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Amael said:
NA players are like obsessed with chatting with the auto-translator (Typing so boring!!). If Segregation of servers ever happens (which i doubt) will this practice decay? I rarely see a JP using the auto-translate function. If ever at all.

(/think) (anyone)?

Might be cause they have this secret "JP onry" cult. They don't want us to know what they are saying o.o!
 Seraph.Mooshie
Server: Seraph
user: Mooshie
By Seraph.Mooshie 2009-04-21 08:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Miemo said:
Amael said:

(/think) (anyone)?

Might be cause they have this secret "JP onry" cult. They don't want us to know what they are saying o.o!

That backfires though when they shout for nyzul runs between boss floors.

'Scribblescribblescribblescribble56-60scribblescribblescribble'.

Aha! yeah you're getting a /tell wether you like it or not.

*Edit* just dawned on me that 56-60 is a boss floor. Noob
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-04-21 08:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

MAGIC SQUIGGLES, AHOY!
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 08:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

私は考えていない。

:3
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-04-21 08:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

、その代りに知らない考えない。
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 08:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

{Please use the auto translate feature}
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-04-21 08:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
{Please use the auto translate feature}

{I'm sorry.} JP ONRY.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-21 08:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

インターネット翻訳素晴らしいです!
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 08:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Amael said:
Jiko said:
、その代りに知らない考えない。 {No stranger to the idea that instead.}

私は考えていない。
I think not.
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 08:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

インターネットについては、勝つ (^^)b
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-04-21 08:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Amael said:
Amael said:
Jiko said:
、その代りに知らない考えない。 {No stranger to the idea that instead.}

私は考えていない。
I think not.

wat?
[+]
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 08:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't look at me! {/point} {/translate}
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-21 08:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

内蔵のGoogleの翻訳者で、私はそれを持つことができますか?
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-04-21 08:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, I use this one. ;p
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 08:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I use it when i want to get a point across to a JP player.

Zanno said:
{The built-in Google Translator, I can do with it?}

{huh?!}
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-21 08:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Get that chicken scratch off my screen!
[+]
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 09:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Amael said:

Zanno said:
{The built-in Google Translator, I can do with it?} [Tranlation by Google]

With the translator of Google of built-in, as for me it is possible to have that? [Translation by Dictionary.com]

{huh?!}

Edit: Babelfish gave the same translation as Dictionary.com
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-21 09:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Amael said:

Zanno said:
{The built-in Google Translator, I can do with it?}

{huh?!}

haha this translotor is really odd.

I typed in: ""Integrated" translator like this one on google would be nice in game"

Translation:
"Googleでこのような"統合"の翻訳は、良いことがあるゲームにしてください。"

put in the JP translation and translate back to EN, get this:
"Google this "integration" of the translation, please have a good game."
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8