Kamome
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-06 00:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I could but I'm a bit burnt out. I get tired pretty easily of having to compete for everything in this game so I have more fun doing different stuff like Salvage/Einherjar etc.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-06 00:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
I could but I'm a bit burnt out. I get tired pretty easily of having to compete for everything in this game so I have more fun doing different stuff like Salvage/Einherjar etc.

Hey I understand, that's what the game is all about. There's no point in getting any item in this game if you're not gonna have fun. I never went and got king gear because I never found it fun.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ceolwulf
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ceolwulf
By Carbuncle.Ceolwulf 2011-08-06 00:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Galith said:
But when you're done with your Kannagi 85 you've got one of the best katanas in the game.
Yes, but what do you use until you get that katana?

Lakshmi.Galith said:
Holding hate while at the hate cap is what I'm talking about. The person with the fastest weapon is the tank because the mob will bounce to the last person to hit it. Not getting hit does help hold hate but you will become better at keeping shadows up if you don't rely on random things like the mob missing you. Evasion is a good skill to have but it is inconsistent and you can get by without it.
The only other job that's going to come close to NIN attack speed at the hate cap is a THF. And it's possible to get by without EVA, but it's also possible to get by without a Kannagi, or +2 feet, or a myriad of other pieces. We're talking about what's most useful, not what we can get by with, and EVA is much more useful-- at least outside of Abyssea-- than crit damage.

Lakshmi.Galith said:
The wiki DPS number isn't damage over time
It's the only method for giving an estimation of a weapon's effectiveness. "I used both in a party" isn't very reliable.

Lakshmi.Galith said:
A good ninja's ideal gear is not a sekka and when they get their ideal weapon they most likely are not going to offhand a sekka. You will need to learn how to tank without the 20 evasion from your sekka at one point therefore i say it's like training wheels. The person above is correct in saying there are instances where evasion is the preferred method of tanking and that's mainly on something that attacks ridiculously fast.

Once again there is no fault in using a sekka, but you most likely don't need one and it might be better to just learn how to do without it in preperation for when you upgrade your weapons later.
I'm not saying their ideal gear is a Sekka: I'm saying it's a useful weapon to use. And learning how to tank without EVA isn't some intense mental challenge; it's just counting shadows. There is no reason to not get dual Sekkas unless you already have a Kannagi. Even then, there will be times that 40 EVA and 18 AGI will be extremely useful.
 Carbuncle.Ceolwulf
By Carbuncle.Ceolwulf 2011-08-06 00:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said:
You could duo kannagi in a couple RL days and the difference between having kannagi and not having kannagi is pretty massive.
You can't do a Kannagi in a couple of RL days by yourself, which is my point. Sure, if you have a handful of people who are willing to spend days farming NMs, you can totally do it, but you might as well be saying, "You can get an 85 Kannagi in a couple of hours! Just have 50 skins and 50 helms in your inventory."
 Bahamut.Deezee
Server: Bahamut
user: dexninja
By Bahamut.Deezee 2011-08-06 00:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:
Lakshmi.Galith said:
-Magian trials are a pain in the rear
It's much easier to get two Sekka +2s than one Kannagi 85.

Lakshmi.Galith said:
-Higher delay means you don't hold hate as well as if you had a low delay
I can't think of when 21 delay would make or break holding hate. If you're in Abyssea, you'll be at the hate cap anyway. If you're not in Abyssea, wouldn't you want +EVA so enmity doesn't decay quicker? (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe taking damage causes you to to lose more hate than evading)

Lakshmi.Galith said:
Lower damage over time
Wiki says DPS for Kamome is 13 while Sekka +2 is 13.73.

Lakshmi.Galith said:
That said there's nothing wrong with it, it's just like training wheels is all. Most good ninjas wouldn't need it.
Wouldn't "most good ninjas" not need the extra ACC or ATK, if "most good ninjas" don't need the extra EVA? Because, outside of Abyssea, I wouldn't say that the crit damage increase would be better than 20 EVA and 9 AGI.

Galith got OWNED
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2011-08-06 00:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:
Phoenix.Dramatica said:
You could duo kannagi in a couple RL days and the difference between having kannagi and not having kannagi is pretty massive.
You can't do a Kannagi in a couple of RL days by yourself, which is my point. Sure, if you have a handful of people who are willing to spend days farming NMs, you can totally do it, but you might as well be saying, "You can get an 85 Kannagi in a couple of hours! Just have 50 skins and 50 helms in your inventory."
Couple of days, a week, or two weeks, what does it matter? You could easily solo the briareus stage, and it wouldn't be extremely hard to have a person or two help you with the sobek stage in exchange for +2 items if you are antisocial and have no friends(or a mule). I think anyone who gives a damn about ninja should have or be working on Kannagi. It should be a staple required item, just like hagun was considered at 75 for sam.
 Carbuncle.Ceolwulf
By Carbuncle.Ceolwulf 2011-08-06 00:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said:
Couple of days, a week, or two weeks, what does it matter?
Your previous comment was about how Sekka +2 wasn't much easier to get than Kannagi.

Phoenix.Dramatica said:
I think anyone who gives a damn about ninja should have or be working on Kannagi. It should be a staple required item, just like hagun was considered at 75 for sam.
I agree with you. However, while you are working towards that Kannagi-- since most people don't have a dedicated group of people willing to help them like that-- you can spend a day or so getting your Sekka +2s. I'm not saying they're a replacement for Kannagi; I'm just saying they're incredibly useful.
 Lakshmi.Galith
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-06 00:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:
Lakshmi.Galith said:
But when you're done with your Kannagi 85 you've got one of the best katanas in the game.
Yes, but what do you use until you get that katana?

I'd probably use an Oirandori and Kamome

As for your other points I'm really not trying to disagree with you. The Sekka is a useful weapon and if that works best for you, and you don't mind going through all the trials to get it, then more power to you. I just encourage every ninja that asks me for advice to attempt to get by without relying on evasion.

Using your weapon slots for defensive purposes is a lot more limiting and I tend to use it as a last resort. I would rather macro in certain gear than rely on a weapon that I think lowers my damage. Attrition is a serious consideration in some fights and focusing on evasion can often times be a detriment as you prolong it beyond what the party can support.

About the attack speed issue, it's not so much that a dark knight attacks fast it is the amount of time between when the dark knight hits and you hit. The longer the time between his hit and your hit the more likely it is that he will take the next attack. In all honesty I hope they raise the hate cap because it is quite a pain having everyone at max hate all the time.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone remember I'm just answering why ppl would go with a Kamome and ori over a Sekka. Inside vs outside abyssea does give a bit more weight towards a sekka but I would personally still go with a faster and/or more damaging weapon.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2011-08-06 00:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I will agree that having a single eva sekka is a worthwhile time investment, but two is just wasted time that could be put towards making kannagi. Easier meaning taking less time, since difficulty in ffxi is pretty much moot. (Having a second person will make kannagi doable within two days if you are dedicated)
edit: not counting the lotto NM/VNM time sink obviously, which slipped my mind a little bit. Within a week with 2 characters, you should have no trouble at all finishing an 85 kannagi from the first lotto trial.
 Phoenix.Arhat
user: lithical
By Phoenix.Arhat 2011-08-06 00:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really that fast if you have a friend to heal you :/ Solo it definitely won't be as fast because subbing DNC severely gimps your ability to proc red. I did duo mine incredbly fast, almost the entire first two stages were done duo. I did a large portion of the 90 duo too (yeah brewing two at a time does suck but meh, Apademak seems really generous with doubles as far as I've seen) because some people find holding KIs very boring xD
 Lakshmi.Galith
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-06 00:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Deezee said:
Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:
Lakshmi.Galith said:
-Magian trials are a pain in the rear
It's much easier to get two Sekka +2s than one Kannagi 85.

Lakshmi.Galith said:
-Higher delay means you don't hold hate as well as if you had a low delay
I can't think of when 21 delay would make or break holding hate. If you're in Abyssea, you'll be at the hate cap anyway. If you're not in Abyssea, wouldn't you want +EVA so enmity doesn't decay quicker? (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe taking damage causes you to to lose more hate than evading)

Lakshmi.Galith said:
Lower damage over time
Wiki says DPS for Kamome is 13 while Sekka +2 is 13.73.

Lakshmi.Galith said:
That said there's nothing wrong with it, it's just like training wheels is all. Most good ninjas wouldn't need it.
Wouldn't "most good ninjas" not need the extra ACC or ATK, if "most good ninjas" don't need the extra EVA? Because, outside of Abyssea, I wouldn't say that the crit damage increase would be better than 20 EVA and 9 AGI.

Galith got OWNED

I gave you a +1 because it made me laugh
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-08-06 01:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:

Saying good players don't need attack.

Son, I am disappoint.
By Pooman 2011-08-06 01:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:

Word.
[+]
 Shiva.Narkash
Server: Shiva
user: Narkash
By Shiva.Narkash 2011-08-06 07:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If i don't see the charts to prove one or the other, i'll stick to my play style =P
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-06 08:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:

The only other job that's going to come close to NIN attack speed at the hate cap is a THF.
You sir, are wrong. A DNC will actually attack faster than a NIN, assuming you're using those shitty sekka.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-06 08:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no reason to own two evas sekkas. If you don't have a kannagi, mainhand a Sekka +2(evas) or Oilondri thingy and offhand a kanome. One evas sekka is fine to offhand when you need some more evasion, it's a huge evas boost in 1 slot for a very minor DPS decrease.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-08-06 09:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

it saddens me to see Kannagi NINs offhanding something tha is not Kamome.

anything else off hand is not needed, and its not as if its hard to get, can even get it of people killing sobek for skins, done sobek for too meny empy weapons and it either dont drop coz everyone has OR it hits the floor
 Fenrir.Arianna
Server: Fenrir
user: arianna
By Fenrir.Arianna 2011-08-06 09:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:

Yes, because good ninjas want to evade all attacks, and bad ninjas want to hit harder.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-08-06 09:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Use these, ok?

Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-08-06 09:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Arianna said:
Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:

Yes, because good ninjas want to evade all attacks, and bad ninjas want to hit harder.
A good ninja knows when to hit hard and when to evade.
[+]
By Zeyphr 2011-08-06 09:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Fenrir.Arianna said:
Carbuncle.Ceolwulf said:

A good ninja knows when to hit hard and when to evade.
 Fenrir.Arianna
user: arianna
By Fenrir.Arianna 2011-08-07 08:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Correct, but too many NINs think they need to wear too much eva gear.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [240 days between previous and next post]
By Kylackt 2012-04-03 10:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

ok i use a kannagi along with my 99 eva katana the arisui and im seeing a lot of crit hit this and crit hit that but what a lot of people arent looking at is why i choose an eva katana for off hand with kannagi main, Blade Hi is a 60% AGI modified WS so I honestly would prefer that extra AGI im getting from the trial katana to a bit of extra att and acc that honestly ive never seen make too much difference, Ive used a sekka/kamome set a kannagi/sekka set and a kannagi/kamome set and i prefer the kannagi/sekka set because it honestly seems to make a good bit of difference to my Hi's without affecting my damage output to the point ive ever noticed it
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-03 10:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-03 10:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

Echoing this.

@ Above Eyeballing, stop it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-03 10:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The AGI on an Arisui is going to improve Hi damage by <5% outside Abyssea. Even if we're holding the discussion to two weapons that are second-rate for DD purposes at 99 (seriously, did you not see the post dates?), Kamome will improve your average WS damage by a greater amount, improve your epeen spikes by a much greater amount, and also allow you to WS more frequently as a result of the delay difference.

But really, holy necrobump. This thread was relevant at 90 cap, but things have changed since then.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-04-03 10:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

I briefly wondered how i had not seen this awesome response used before, then I realized we're reaching the point where a lot of people might not get it right away. =(
[+]
 Cerberus.Ddbone
Server: Cerberus
user: ddbone
By Cerberus.Ddbone 2012-04-03 11:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Make a STR/DEX/AGI katana for off-hand and switch up depending on the situation?

Isn't this the winner? I stopped using Kamome off-hand due to the information posted on this board.

Should I bust out Kamome again?

How big is the increase of Kamome > STR Arisui inside Aby?
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-03 11:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Str outside and kamome inside is a good rule of thumb.