Kamome
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-04-06 19:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That's true to an extent but I know people that play their one job excellently, but then they level something else up and they just plain fail at it. Even if they didn't it seems impractical to make someone go from a Kannagi nin that they put all their effort into gearing and performs well just to grind Verethragna and the like for a job they never truly cared for. You're not wrong, it just seems like a lot of effort to me personally. Also, there are lots of lazy people you can't fix either.
 Cerberus.Omegacloud
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Omegacloud 2012-04-06 19:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Galbir said: »
It's not like it takes long to skill up anything except maybe parry and guard. There is no excuse for gimp skills and gimp skills should never be an excuse to not lvl a job. Call it for what it is pure lazziness.

Inb4: "But your gear will be terrible." No again gearing is easy.

That's not my main excuse. My main excuse is me running out of room to be honest, but I'm not going to play the excuse game, so moving on. My Nin is pretty up there damaging-wise, pretty much everyone in my LS can do some good numbers. I just figured that Nin gets the shaft on this overall somehow. Like I said, I haven't done this yet, so I'm just going by word of mouth for now.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-06 20:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not like it takes long to skill up anything except maybe parry and guard. There is no excuse for gimp skills and gimp skills should never be an excuse to not lvl a job. Call it for what it is pure lazziness.

Inb4: "But your gear will be terrible." No again gearing is easy.
Saying that leeching jobs, botting skills, getting help left and right and lucky with the good gear isn't lazy?
If you don't have some or all of that, you need a lot of time on your hands.
Lazyness isn't always the reason why folks are "gimp", even though, more often than not, it certainly is.

I agree with Paulu here, peeps should play what they are good at, lvl things they want to and if it benefits the group, even better.

But lvling/playing stuff because someone said "it's the way to go" and then maybe sucking at it.. sounds kinda stupid to me.
[+]
 Shiva.Galbir
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-06 20:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

One night at Castle Vahzl(s) on a Fortilace with a Dmg 1 wep will take you to the 75 cap (Over that now with the update forgot what lvl though). After that you can hit things in abyssea. just equip one regen atma and bam you're invincible. This is not "botting skills" this is putting the time in to get better and it doesn't take more than 2 days 3 max.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-04-06 20:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Grandthief said: »
But lvling/playing stuff because someone said "it's the way to go" and then maybe sucking at it.. sounds kinda stupid to me.

Not to mention if you're not having fun.

But, what I really wanted to do was get my opinion of ffxiah forum type advice. There are quite a few people who really know a lot about... pretty much anything that gets asked. And if someone asks their advice, they are going to get what they know to be the best answer.

Any kind of disagreement about X vs Y aside, there are sometimes some reasons why the person can't or won't follow the advice. If the person really hates job X and has no desire whatsoever to play it - that's okay. Or whatever situation - specific piece of gear, gearset, whatever it is. You got an "A" grade answer, (probably) but in some cases you're okay with "B." Yeah, the person answering the question might disapprove, but that's no reason for anyone to get upset. Just remember that what you asked about may be tougher/longer/impossible.

And really... how silly would it be, if I truly disliked something, to do that thing just for the approval of someone I don't even know? (Not even their approval, as they'd likely never ever see what katana I offhand, for example.)
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-06 20:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

One night at Castle Vahzl(s) on a Fortilace with a Dmg 1 wep will take you to the 75 cap (Over that now with the update forgot what lvl though). After that you can hit things in abyssea. just equip one regen atma and bam you're invincible. This is not "botting skills" this is putting the time in to get better and it doesn't take more than 2 days 3 max.
That might apply to melee skills, to some degree, but I want to see you going from like NIN to WHM or SCH and skill up in 2-3 days.

Let alone getting the good gear for it (assuming you didn't get lucky on that beforehand, of course).

Also, if you only have a couple of hours on your hands per day, your theory goes out of the window.
 Shiva.Galbir
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-06 21:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is we are talking about going from nin to a better DD which means melee skills are the only thing that matter. Look at the context of the thread...

I suppose you could argue people going from Nin to Sch that would take more work I will admit.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-06 21:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter though, it still needs more effort than implied by you.

Not to mention the capability/will to play the new job more efficiently than the old one.

In this particular case we have a geared and (what it sounds like) dedicated Kannagi NIN vs some other DD job without an empy(WS) and potentially without a lot of gear/skill/knowledge(/ambition) to be ready for it.

If someone feels like trying out something new, is willing to play and puts some work into a job, then that's a whole different story than telling someone to play X job because someone else said it's a good job for Y event.

And then it still depends on if the switch is worth it.
Would Hi and NIN's TP-gain be faster than gimp WAR or DRK (not even getting started with BLU, for obvious reasons)?
Will NIN's dmg-mitigation be of more value than silly DD/SAM not knowing what Seigan (or any defensive JA, for that matter) is?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that everything is possible if you only want it. But it certainly can't always be labeled "lazy" if someone doesn't want to do what other people tell them.