PLD MDT/MDB/PDT Help Plz!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD MDT/MDB/PDT help plz!
PLD MDT/MDB/PDT help plz!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-08-22 12:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see what Ochain has to do with it, but I agree that working on a good Dark Ring is at worst a marginal loss for inv+1.
 Phoenix.Gustavve
Server: Phoenix
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-08-22 12:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Also augmented blood/crimson cuisses with MDB.

Edit was beaten a few post back. I have 5 mine but I read somewhere its possible to go up to 8 mdb. Any truth to this or do you have to get it from the random? (upset refresh isn't available to augment, the subligar is fugly and no 12.5% movement)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [92 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Lynxis
Server: Bismarck
user: Lynxis
By Bismarck.Lynxis 2011-11-22 09:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Thinking of doing the MDB +10 sword to augment myself against stronger magical enemies since they destroy me pretty badly currently. Would this be worthwhile against the stronger magic casting Voidwatch mobs or would the PDT +10 sword still be better in these cases?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-11-22 09:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never done Voidwatch, but I'd think of it along the same lines I think of Aegis.

If you're going up against heavy magic spam (or something that will one-shot you from nuke/magical ws), then it'd be a worthwhile consideration, otherwise you're likely to be selling your DoT short (unless you're planning on swapping in and out of weapons at random to "adjust" to the situation) from other, more "offensive" swords.

As I said, I can't comment on Voidwatch directly because I've never done it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-11-22 09:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

If magical damage is 'destroying you pretty badly' I sincerely doubt MDB+10 is going to save you.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-22 10:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I assume this is going to be a matter of just surviving and less about keeping hate? Neither sword is going to provide decent dot but swapping out is going to hurt more depending on how much tp you waste doing it.

10 MDB is not going to provide a big enough boost to be worth the weapon slot it in my mind. In overall damage taken, I can assure you that the PDT sword is going to reduce more damage. I'd look to augmenting other parts of your magical set first if you don't have capped MDT already and fill in MDB and resist gear for notable elements in other slots.

Perhaps you can give a little more detail about what issues you have. Is it magical tp attacks or spells? Which mobs? Do you already use gear swaps? If so, what are your current sets?
 Bismarck.Lynxis
By Bismarck.Lynxis 2011-11-22 13:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, it's been more an issue of survival than holding hate. I wouldn't be swapping weapons mid fight, I'm just wondering for the sake of argument if I used MDB sword full time on magic spammy enemies, might I be better equipped to survive than I would be with just the the PDT sword? I don't have either weapon yet, I'm just wondering if it would be worthwhile to consider doing it. In general, my gear sets are quite poor. I'll post them for review when I get home this evening.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-11-22 14:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lynxis said: »
For me, it's been more an issue of survival than holding hate. I wouldn't be swapping weapons mid fight, I'm just wondering for the sake of argument if I used MDB sword full time on magic spammy enemies, might I be better equipped to survive than I would be with just the the PDT sword? I don't have either weapon yet, I'm just wondering if it would be worthwhile to consider doing it. In general, my gear sets are quite poor. I'll post them for review when I get home this evening.

Sounds like you'd be better off using that time that you had planned on making the sword spent on making gil or creating gear sets and macros.

MDT gear is going to offer a lot more protection than a +10 MDB sword. Couple of augmented Dark Rings are a free start(not to mention, you can sell the crappy augmented ones for money to buy other MDT gear). Campaign gear offers various levels of MDB. Campaign route can offer great MDB as long as you supplement that with rings, earrings, neck, and back MDT pieces. Or you could go full-on Coral and other MDT macro set to reach 50% MDT with Protect V.
 Bismarck.Lynxis
By Bismarck.Lynxis 2011-11-22 19:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I'm wearing when I hit my MDT macro and clearly I have a long way to go to improving this set. The obvious thing is to farm some dark rings which is next on my list. Looking for reasonable difficulty/time/cost suggestions.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-11-22 20:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't read the whole thing, but don't use a Lamian Kaman, use a demonry stone
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-22 20:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Is creed belt 4 MDB? It's labeled somewhat oddly but if it is, it won't beat nierenschutz until you get capped.

On the subject of capping, the creed body is variable and if you are getting your face kicked in or just suffered a hate reset then it might not be very much. It ranges from ~2.5% to about ~10%, though I don't have much info on how quickly it goes up but if you want to be safe, I'd tack on an extra 5 if you feel your hate is low.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-11-22 20:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Earrings will provide 4% extra MDT together.

Lore Cuffs+1 or Coral Gauntlets +1 for 2%.

Dark rings are your first best bet for reducing damage, as you can get 12% simply from those slots and it's free aside from the time you need to invest.

And finally Askar Feet offer 2% damage taken.

All this will net you 20% MDT more than you have now. You already have 8%, so you don't really need perfect Dark Rings. Or you could strive for perfect Dark Rings and just get cheap MDB gear in other slots.

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-11-22 20:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'd say the order to do things is:

1. Farm for Dark Rings.
2. While you have tags, do a few Nyzul Isle 20's for a free feet alternative.
3. Keep an eye on Merman's Earrings over the next couple weeks and buy them as you can afford.
4. If you have the money, or if the AH is providing, find some MDT hands. If not, you can just settle for Medb's Gauntlets
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
user: xMitosisx
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2011-11-22 21:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I'm aiming for on WAR. All these pieces can be used by PLD. Being PLD, you probably have this earring, so replace the Static with another Merman's earring and switch the waist with a Creed Baudrier for PLD. Capped MDT with shellra5, shadow ring for the occasional 0dmg, and elemental resistance from the iron ram set bonus.

Opinions?

EDIT:
Augmented Blood legs may be better for PLD? I don't play PLD so I wouldn't really know. My break is about over and I didn't have time to look through all the options for PLD.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2011-11-22 21:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
the hands in the post above yours would be better for that warrior shell V build Mitosis. And pld has a MDB +6 legs 91+ now yeah

Personally I would go with volunteer's ring over shadow ring in that setup but mathematically I can't support that claim
I saw those hands when I was making the set, I'm just unsure if the 1 extra MDB makes up for the ele resist lost from the Iron ram set. Guess I'll have to get a pair and test it out.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2011-11-22 21:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I would rely on MDB, not rely on ele resists. on anything that truly matters, it will have enough Magic acc to molest your magic evasion thoroughly
Sounds like pretty sound logic to me. Though I'd still sport the shadow ring. I'd like the chance of having 0dmg occasionally, over a little less dmg. If it works out better one way or the other mathematically, I don't know, this is just preference.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Peacekeeper
Server: Siren
By Siren.Peacekeeper 2011-11-24 02:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis said: »
the hands in the post above yours would be better for that warrior shell V build Mitosis. And pld has a MDB +6 legs 91+ now yeah

Personally I would go with volunteer's ring over shadow ring in that setup but mathematically I can't support that claim
I saw those hands when I was making the set, I'm just unsure if the 1 extra MDB makes up for the ele resist lost from the Iron ram set. Guess I'll have to get a pair and test it out.

Unless your resistance looks something like this:

You're not doing much in reducing magic damage based on elemental resistance.
(SS includes atma, whm, and brd buffs)

As you can see it takes a lot of sacrifice to reach high enough resistance, and for only one element. Resist sets are for specific situations, and aren't very inventory friendly at all.
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-24 10:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for reference, Orthrus is not one of those specific situations.
 Siren.Peacekeeper
Server: Siren
By Siren.Peacekeeper 2011-11-24 10:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Orthrus is not a reason to build a set, no (I built it for Tiamat years back). I only post the SS to show 1, how high resist sets generally need to be to be effective. 2, the amount of otherwise shitty gear you have to carry around. 3, the affects of a high elemental resist set.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-11-24 11:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin Accuracy TP

Paladin Capped Accuracy TP

Paladin Chant du Cygne

Paladin Flash

Paladin Provoke

Paladin Cure Cheat / Weakened HP build.

Paladin MDT set w/ Aegis

Paladin MDT set w/ Ochain

Paladin PDT set

Paladin Shield skill Turtle

Blood Cuisses are augmented with Magic Evasion +7 Fast Cast +3 working on getting Magic Evasion & MDB
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-11-24 11:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Egoists Tathlum seems an odd choice for both of your TP sets
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-24 11:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-11-24 12:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Nekonarf, Why do you have twilight gear in an mdt set?

Also for benefit of other people you might want to state all your augments like the moonshade.

And as previously asked why do you have hp ammo in tp build?
 Bismarck.Aerison
user: Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2011-11-24 12:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
@ Nekonarf, Why do you have twilight gear in an mdt set?

Also for benefit of other people you might want to state all your augments like the moonshade.

And as previously asked why do you have hp ammo in tp build?

INT
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-11-24 12:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I gathered but I still wouldnt stack int even with an aegis. Besides that build still looks under cap MDT to me.
[+]