First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-13 16:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I do but it's just puzzling to me which is why I posed the question. Coming from heavy FPS background you don't come across this really at all it's just about getting the win.

To put it simply see below in terms of gear only there are 2 different type of people.

Category 1(me): Get the best gear
Category 2: To create as much distance as possible between themselves and other people with exclusive gear

That's what puzzles me, what drives these people to fit in category 2? Do they realize that they are even part of cat 2 and do they understand why?
The problem is there are way more than just two categories and lumping everyone into those two doesn't really give you an accurate measure of player motivations, especially if you assume that everyone is gear-driven in some fashion and that those who are complaining here are only concerned with how their gear stacks up next to everyone else.

For instance, myself:

Achiever is by far my lowest score. I am so not driven to obtain pixels that it's not even funny. It's a means to an end and I treat it as such, getting only the gear I need to efficiently accomplish a given objective and then completing said objective. Any further gear I acquire is usually a by-product of either accomplishing my goals (exploring the mechanics of challenging fights and then successfully clearing them) or lack of anything else to do.

Many of the people who *** about easymode are truly upset that the game is so easy. Nothing more, nothing less.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-04-13 16:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I do but it's just puzzling to me which is why I posed the question. Coming from heavy FPS background you don't come across this really at all it's just about getting the win.

To put it simply see below in terms of gear only there are 2 different type of people.

Category 1(me): Get the best gear
Category 2: To create as much distance as possible between themselves and other people with exclusive gear

That's what puzzles me, what drives these people to fit in category 2? Do they realize that they are even part of cat 2 and do they understand why? Why is feeding their need for cat 2 so much more important than feeding their need for cat 1?

He's talking about this. I can't find the link I wanted to but w/e.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-13 16:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Well stated. Just because something becomes more accessible doesn't mean it is a bit easier.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-13 16:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
SE should add Zelda like dungeons with mazes, NMs, and ***.
A labyrinth with nms mixed with some puzzles? I think SE should make pro versions of the few instances there are in the game. Maybe make Limbus(75) into Limbus(99) and have all the mobs there Lv. 120+ that rage after 3min of being engaged.

or a Nyzul Isle tower run starting from Floor 0 to 100. You got 90 min to complete all of it, every floor has its own objective/puzzle and every 20th floor got to kill One of each sky god and the final floor is kirin with each of his pets out. and throw in some Time extensions/2hour resets and a 0.5% chance that one of the boxes has a primevil brew just for lulz.
and the drops could be like Ex.) a variation of Byakko's Haidate like...Jian Bing's Haidate and have like Dex+30 Haste+8 Lightning Resist +100
and abjurations!! i miss those =/
 Ramuh.Leif
Server: Ramuh
user: Leif912
By Ramuh.Leif 2011-04-13 16:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
SE should add Zelda like dungeons with mazes, NMs, and ***.
This could totally be the "Dungeon crawling (name TBA)" thing they mentioned on the forums.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-13 17:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Make it like the ancient cave in Lufia 2... complete with that music that is still stuck in my head years later.

For those that don't know it's a 100 lvl randomly generated dungeon. You only get 10 potions and are reset to lvl 1 with no spells and no items other than special ones you got on previous runs that you are allowed to take out. Most items can't be taken out of it. You get tons of xp so you lvl up rather quickly. If you wipe you get nothing. You find spells restore stuffs and such as you go on... alot of luck and skill.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-13 17:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Many of the people who *** about easymode are truly upset that the game is so easy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe I'm reading into what they're saying differently, it's just the impression I get from a lot of the complaints. Especially people who thrived on HNM glory days and are still holding on tight to them.

Also I knew what Night meant Niniann, I might not be intimately familiar with them but I know of them high level etc. I was just trying to specifically speak in terms of gear motivators. People who are driven by gear goals and upset about gear being more accessible to a majority of the population.

In terms of much more broader goals and personality types for gaming in general I fall much more on the side of Killer / Social and Achiever (more personal goals with achieving not as much as woot in yo face look wat i did stuff) with hardly anything in Explorer :P

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-04-13 17:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:
Sylph.Cossack said:
You need to stop saying vagina cause they will lock this thread.
Not until everyone whining locks their vaginas! OHOHOHOHO
wat
Wat

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
just wait for the crappy job adjustments/additions announcement.

I can see it now...DRK gets tactical parry and warrior gets crit attack buff that stacks with blood rage.
If only SE can see this post!
 Asura.Solara
Server: Asura
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-04-13 17:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:

Actually I am a dual citizen, not that my nationality matters anything about anything. Oh look, you are from ASSura. I knew I assumed to much from a troll.

Actually, your nationality does matter when it comes to idioms, as they typically are created within national social contexts (in this case a popular song that is decades old) and do not readily translate. For example I wouldn't say "Bob's your uncle" to an American, because most wouldn't have a clue what it meant.

Quote:

So they did, but no where did I see them say that it was OMGWTFUBERNESSGTFOGIMP whatever. I see someone's shell having fun and excited they can do it more.

They presented it in a discussion forum, and it was discussed. My comment doesn't stop their enjoyment in game. I also don't get why the original poster saying "it was OMGWTFUBERNESSGTFOGIMP" would make my comment somehow more acceptable, what exactly is your point?

Quote:

They posted their excitement, you posted a *** response about how they play the game. Now you just all butthurt because you were called on it.

Again, it's a discussion forum. I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't want a response, people stating their opinions on topics is pretty much the point of being here. I'm sorry that offends your fragile disposition, and has apparently sent you into PTSD white knight mode.

Quote:

I don't care if you point out someone being an obvious gimp if they are trying to be OMGWTFUBERCOOL. But you good sir where a total douche to someone without reason other then to stroke your epeen self. Go masturbate your hurt away and let them play how they want to.

I don't see where I whipped out an epeen, and I've certainly never claimed to be cool. I pointed out the obvious because it was obvious and I happened to be in the thread. I could care less about their tone or attitude, because it's irrelevant to the quality of the video I was commenting on.

From what I can make out of your rantings, your only real problem with my statement was the tone, not the content. Yet you're attacking me with assumptions in a tone far worse than anything I said prior to this post, tossing out the standard cliches (I think you're just missing the RL card at this point) and trying to hold the moral high ground.

As far as I can tell, the only one trying masturbating their hurt away is you, but with all that sand shoveled in there you're just getting more and more irritated.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-13 17:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Y U NO quote right!?! Either way whoever it was sounds rather butt hurt. And was that a sand in your vagina reference? Win
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-13 17:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Maybe I'm reading into what they're saying differently, it's just the impression I get from a lot of the complaints. Especially people who thrived on HNM glory days and are still holding on tight to them.
I think that falls under the "vocal minority" category, particularly the people who claim to miss HNM. I have nothing to substantiate that though.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-13 17:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I think that falls under the "vocal minority" category, particularly the people who claim to miss HNM. I have nothing to substantiate that though.

What made me laugh the hardest was the one complaining that SE putting XI in "easy mode" was going to make it harder to get his empy because of crowding camps? Seem a little hypocritical to anyone else?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-13 17:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

What made me laugh the hardest was the one complaining that SE putting XI in "easy mode" was going to make it harder to get his empy because of crowding camps? Seem a little hypocritical to anyone else?
Certainly not harder, but it would be more time consuming for no good reason.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-13 17:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope Angelkiss and Solara get married and have tons of babies!!

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-13 17:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it funny that ANY opposition to this is automatically "sandy vagina" "rate downs" or "you bitching." I still enjoy this game, I do. I love logging in an doing things with the people in my LS. I want to see this game change, so I have a differing opinion. Too many scrubs who want everything in this game handed to them. That isn't good for anyone. Just because I have an opinion that I feel the game should be better, doesn't mean I hate it. Nightfyre already went over the reasons as to why its bad though.
[+]
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-04-13 17:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
They're masturbating partners only.

Only because we're saving ourselves for marriage.

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Y U NO quote right!?! Either way whoever it was sounds rather butt hurt. And was that a sand in your vagina reference? Win

I did the first one correctly, I just got lazy after that. :/ I think 30% of the posts in this thread had vaginal sand references, but he was on a roll and used up all the other fun forum cliches that don't involve images.

Back to the actual thread topic, I'm pretty burnt out on Abyssea in general at this point, but I can't imagine going back to the way the game was.

HNMs with 24hr windows, camping for pops in Sky/Sea, and the horrible forced busy work fights that had no challenge and long timers (Assaults to do Salvage, lower Ein chambers for Odin, Limbus chips for A/O) never need to come back to prominence, although new boss fights with a similar style and original difficulty would be great.

Hopefully the Voidwatch system will be challenging/rewarding and there won't be silly *** blocks involved. Something like ANNMs that give access to an Ein style battlefield would be awesome.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-13 17:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I did the first one correctly, I just got lazy after that. :/ I think 30% of the posts in this thread had vaginal sand references, but he was on a roll and used up all the other fun forum cliches that don't involve images.
She... but I'll agree there probably is alot of sand in there
 Bahamut.Zoltar
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-04-13 18:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

* New Ways to Obtain Empyrean Upgrade Items

/cheer
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-04-13 18:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Only because we're saving ourselves for marriage.
<3 Yes we are lovah!
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-04-13 18:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Solara said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
She... but I'll agree there probably is alot of sand in there

Thanks for the correction. I saw the avatar, but considering the sheer number of female avatars on this site I usually assume it's a trap until there's confirmation.
 Siren.Verona
Server: Siren
user: Verona
By Siren.Verona 2011-04-13 18:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Oh, that's always how it starts.

But yeah, some of this seems kind of pointless. Getting rid of some BLU spells is fine, some of them were pretty obnoxious. Lights when resting is a great idea. But the other stuff is like... why bother? I could understand making the items drop off more mobs in that tier of zones, I mean the option for DNC body seals is Ironclad, Ironclad or 150k worth of pop items, but adding them to the weaker zones seems kind of daft. Cheapens the value of these items people have worked to get.

They need to make it so people have to focus on one or two jobs imo. Maybe I'm just sick of people abyssea burning every job just because then walking around like they're the king, but that's what I'd like to see. I'd also like to see some new zones. Want to get my explore on.

Post deleted by User.
 Diabolos.Slanderous
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Slanderous 2011-04-13 18:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'll agree there probably is alot of sand in there
How you know?