2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » new thf :(
new thf :(
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Rieekil 2011-02-04 01:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

first i'll say this is my "first" melee job i lvled have rdm blm smn whm sch rng .. so im kinda new to this anyway i lvled thf mainly for solo and my equips so far is this

while doing trials with thfs and friends one of them mentioned something about weapon rank ;o which is new to me anyway he said something about how r bone knife isnt that good for thfs and harpe type of daggers even with the high dmg isnt the best choice for thf i have no idea what is he talking about oh and btw that the only set i use and haste set for utsusemi casting .. thats about it

would u guys help me and tell me if am doing it wrong for some reason :P ? and what about DD set what should i use ? also is my set have way too much eva :3 ?

sry for being such noob with melee job and sry for the bad english :P
thnx
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Rieekil 2011-02-04 01:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Too much evasion gear.

really ? i even equip eva atma x2 and RR lol!!!!
lol meh i fail @ this xD
 Fenrir.Thandar
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2011-02-04 02:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Use haste gear.
Ws, stack DEX or probably attack in abyssea. It's pretty easy.
Since I'd assume you're using evic, high DEX set would be good for both inside and outside abyssea, as long as acc isn't a problem.

You shouldn't ever DD in a evasion set up, use evasion for evading.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
Server: Fenrir
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2011-02-04 02:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Those sets are good except you don't want to change daggers for evasion.
Also, twilight dagger, at least with triplus isn't that great since it reduces chance to triple attack. Use triplius and DEX, str w/e other dagger.
Also, assassin Armlets should be in there somewhere.
Make your initial th hits as high as you can ftw.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-02-04 02:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
So you tank in DD gear and cast shadows in evasion gear instead of tanking in some mix of DD and evasion gear and casting shadows in haste gear?

He should be tanking in DD gear/atma and cast shadows never, aside from a handful of the strongest NMs and Ni'ing here and there to block Tier5 spells.

Even if you ignore this, don't you people time your shadows. You can squeeze in ichi on most everything if you're properly geared and time it right. If you can't, or the mob attacks too fast, you can still time it to maximize the chance of your spell going off.

Mob swing
Start Utsusemi:Ichi cast in full evasion gear
Mob swings
Switch to haste gear
Spell goes off.

Time it accordingly.

Why the bloody hell do you ever need a hybrid set of any kind.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-04 03:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Quote:
So you tank in DD gear and cast shadows in evasion gear instead of tanking in some mix of DD and evasion gear and casting shadows in haste gear?

He should be tanking in DD gear/atma and cast shadows never, aside from a handful of the strongest NMs and Ni'ing here and there to block Tier5 spells.

Even if you ignore this, don't you people time your shadows. You can squeeze in ichi on most everything if you're properly geared and time it right. If you can't, or the mob attacks too fast, you can still time it to maximize the chance of your spell going off.

Mob swing
Start Utsusemi:Ichi cast in full evasion gear
Mob swings
Switch to haste gear
Spell goes off.

Time it accordingly.

Why the bloody hell do you ever need a hybrid set of any kind.
do you know what hate decay is?

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Katniss
user: Katniss
By Asura.Katniss 2011-02-04 03:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

is that tarkan in your avatar?
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-04 03:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
I find an idle set with PDT useless for mages standing idle, but people see things differently. This would fall into the same category.

The proper way would be to have a MDT/PDT toggle depending on the situation. But yeah.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-04 03:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
MDT/PDT sets are too much room, honestly sometimes I wonder how people have all that gear in their bag 8\

THF is easier though, I have like 65ish atm while using THF, but it'll rise to about 70-75ish when I'm finished with gear.

I wish one of the new bags let you use items from it... would of been friggin awesome indeed for 160 max slots of gear, wat?
twilight torque and 2 dark rings is atleast 15% mdt AND pdt alone
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-04 03:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
MDT/PDT sets are too much room, honestly sometimes I wonder how people have all that gear in their bag 8\

THF is easier though, I have like 65ish atm while using THF, but it'll rise to about 70-75ish when I'm finished with gear.

I wish one of the new bags let you use items from it... would of been friggin awesome indeed for 160 max slots of gear, wat?

Pretty much this. On WHM though, I don't have *that* much room, so I just carry around my MDT set and swap in Terra's if I'm getting hit (normally not). Terra's staff+Twilight Torque is better than nothing (wish I had nice Dark Rings :/). What's nice about the MDT set though is I can casually saunter into a mob's AOE for whatever, get Firaga IV'd and still have white HP.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-04 03:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:

Pretty much this. On WHM though, I don't have *that* much room, so I just carry around my MDT set and swap in Terra's if I'm getting hit (normally not). Terra's staff+Twilight Torque is better than nothing (wish I had nice Dark Rings :/). What's nice about the MDT set though is I can casually saunter into a mob's AOE for whatever, get Firaga IV'd and still have white HP.
so you normally walk into a bunch of golbins, give them the bird and laugh at them when they try and kill you? pretty boss if you ask me.

side note when i play my sch i try to make up for my lacking space (i have an enormous amount of dnc gear, and all the ninjutsu tools i caan use [kuriyami *** yeah] and rng gear + arrows, on top of my sch gear, plus doing my twashtar backwards {literally}) so i use a fourth club (no antares and soon to be siriti) and use genbu shield to idle in which makes for an easy pdt cap.

p.s. if you have space mages, DONT USE ANYTHING BUT STAFF.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-02-04 03:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well allow me to charity.

What I mean is you shouldn't forfeit the most useful stat for a lesser stat for any situation.

For instance, whenever I cast shadows, I start the cast in as much fast cast gear as I possibly can, then midcast, switch to a haste > fast cast > evasion gear set where haste is maxed out. I don't consider it a hybrid set, it's simply my Utsusemi casting set. When I see the word 'hybrid', I usually think of a compromise between useful stats(haste, etc) to near useless stat (evasion), as in, giving up x amount of haste for y amount of ________. And you can imagine there's alot of that out there. Whenever I see a pink body/o-hat tanking THF, my forehead quickly gets reacquainted with my desk.

I don't know how confident you are in your WHMs, but do consider simply going full DD gear/atma. Mobs these days really aren't as bad as most people think. Getting hit for 300-400 is nothing when you have 2500hp and cure5 cures for 1100-1200(+275 to +300 cureskin), your mages have near limitless mp and hate is almost never an issue. For example, when I fight iron giants, I straight tank them on my thf with no shadows with my dual box WHM spam curing me the whole time. Those things simply don't miss. Even in instances of hate reset(hello ballistic kick), it doesn't take more than a WS and a few swings to get hate back. That's simply how much the game has changed and more people need to catch on to it.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-04 03:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Well allow me to charity.

What I mean is you shouldn't forfeit the most useful stat for a lesser stat for any situation.

For instance, whenever I cast shadows, I start the cast in as much fast cast gear as I possibly can, then midcast, switch to a haste > fast cast > evasion gear set where haste is maxed out. I don't consider it a hybrid set, it's simply my Utsusemi casting set. When I see the word 'hybrid', I usually think of a compromise between useful stats(haste, etc) to near useless stat (evasion), as in, giving up x amount of haste for y amount of ________. And you can imagine there's alot of that out there. Whenever I see a pink body/o-hat tanking THF, my forehead quickly gets reacquainted with my desk.

I don't know how confident you are in your WHMs, but do consider simply going full DD gear/atma. Mobs these days really aren't as bad as most people think. Getting hit for 300-400 is nothing when you have 2500hp and cure5 cures for 1100-1200(+275 to +300 cureskin), your mages have near limitless mp and hate is almost never an issue. For example, when I fight iron giants, I straight tank them on my thf with no shadows with my dual box WHM spam curing me the whole time. Those things simply don't miss. Even in instances of hate reset(hello ballistic kick), it doesn't take more than a WS and a few swings to get hate back. That's simply how much the game has changed and more people need to catch on to it.
i still use O hat when i tank :|

but what i mean is that it's not hard for anyone to cap hate on the mob not just the tank, so the tank will take casual amounts of dmg and the mob will be like "*** you lets play with someone else".

dmg may be minimal, and sure it's fine to take a hit every now and then (if you are constantly riding your utsusemi timers something is wrong) but dont blow it off cause you can have the mob canter off to your whm (which in most cases likes to run around with their head cut off)
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-04 03:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
so you normally walk into a bunch of golbins, give them the bird and laugh at them when they try and kill you? pretty boss if you ask me.

***yeah I do! >:3

Bismarck.Ihina said:

I'm going to have to go with situational ***is situational. It depends on yourself/your healers/the mob. Yes, Ironclads are a ***. Evasion gear is useless on them, but unless your healer/s are super amazing awesome you really shouldn't be completely ignoring shadows. Most people's healers aren't super amazing awesome.

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
i still use O hat when i tank :|

but what i mean is that it's not hard for anyone to cap hate on the mob not just the tank, so the tank will take casual amounts of dmg and the mob will be like "*** you lets play with someone else".

dmg may be minimal, and sure it's fine to take a hit every now and then (if you are constantly riding your utsusemi timers something is wrong) but dont blow it off cause you can have the mob canter off to your whm (which in most cases likes to run around with their head cut off)

You need to tell your WHMs to stand there and take it like a man. :(
First Page 2 3 4 5