user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-04 18:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
your reading comprehension is terrible.

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
you say your whms run out of mp because they're curing 4 or 5 people.

Nope, never mentioned the tier cures being used and I do not run a LS so they are not my WHMs.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-04 18:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

i never mentioned cure tiers either. i also never mentioned your ls, that was how you chose to take it.

and the way the game is now is that you can duo almost anything with a dd with no shadows and a whm mule.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-04 19:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
I guess can I see what you mean by him/her being arrogant with that statement as if the members are his/her personal slaves or something, that gives bad light indeed.

IDK, I still don't know that person though lol.

Maybe I'm just too used to Thorny, but I didn't even read it that way. D:

That and the other stuff that's supposedly dickish/arrogant.
 Sylph.Gredival
Server: Sylph
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-02-05 06:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:

I acknowledged the higher damage cap idea, but well, i thought epeen was a thing of the past.

The key element to balance fSTR is the number of hits/ftp. 2H weapons sit at 1-4 hits, and dagger bread and butter has 5-6. So the same concept can be applied: even tho we cap fSTR sooner we have more oportunities to use its bonus.

Keep in mind the benefits of higher fSTR effect are multiplicative not only additive. We may get to utilize the bonus more because we swing more, but the reason that higher DMG cap exists is because the fSTR bonus gets multiplied by pDIF and fTP. Throw in the fact that 2H have a better pDIF formula, this is the part where you see how the 2H damage formulas are imbalanced.

I acknowledged that higher damage WS doesn't necessarily translate to superior overall DPS. I was just pointing out that it is something that 2Hs benefit from, especially in Abyssea even if it's not enough to overcome bonuses from crits.

I was discussing the damage formulas in and out of an Abyssea context so that OP and any other non-mathy people hopefully have a better understanding of how our damage functions, in and out of Abyssea, and how our damage relates to other jobs, in and out of Abyssea.

Remember that knowing is half the battle. Go Joe.
By Rieekil 2011-02-05 08:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Sylph.Gredival said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Rieekil said:
thnx alot for the help guys well for start i got Loki's body and i'll try to get the other gears again i lvled thf for solo so 99% of time i'll be daulboxing rdm and thf and that's about it wont be even using it in events :3

so anyone can confirm the daggers thingy ? and explain to me which is the best type of dagger for thf :o and why

by tiers, or w/e he described it to you as, i'm sure he meant different levels of usefulness, or situations. Nothing more

If OP's friend really meant "weapon rank" that refers to a specific way that your weapon interacts with your fSTR caps.

(Weapon Damage/9) rounded down gives you your weapon rank. Your floored fSTR is -(Weapon Rank). Your fSTR ceiling is (Weapon Rank)+8.

Take Mandau (90), DMG 49. This is a weapon rank of 5 (49/9=5.4444, rounded down). This means that your fSTR floor penalty is a -5 and your fSTR ceiling bonus is 13 (8+5). Given that it takes 4~6 STR for a fSTR tier, to guarantee that you cap your fSTR with Mandau you need to melee in 80STR over the monster's VIT.

This is part of the reason why the superior 2H damage formulas are so imbalanced. With a weapon like Ukonvasara you have a weapon rank of 14 which makes your fSTR cap at 22. That higher cap means more STR can be translated into actual damage which generally means radically higher damage caps. Also because other jobs equip STR for their WS they increase their fSTR bonus when they put on WS gear. We don't get to do that when we put on DEX gear. This imbalance translates even in Abyssea where fSTR is effectively capped. Outside of Abyssea capping a 22 fSTR bonus would be ridiculous but inside all that STR from cruor buffs actually goes to fSTR bonus. But we don't get the same benefit as Thieves because we cap fSTR very fast and anything leftover is overkill that doesn't help us at all.

Back on the subject of daggers, higher damage daggers, like Harpes, have better weapon ranks because ranks are based solely off straight damage. Also it is worth noting that weapon rank is based off flat base damage. If something has base damage 1 and a latent effect of DMG+300, the weapon rank is still based off 1 base damage. This used to be a big factor in why Blau didn't perform as expected in the main hand.

This doesn't make Harpes necessarily the best dagger. Weapon Rank is merely one factor that can make a dagger superior damage-wise.

To answer OP's question, imo the best dagger is a damage dagger.

Every DD job's primary goal is damage; any specialization is there for variety and complimentary bonuses. I view Thief as a Rogue/Assassin style DD -- a fighter whose deals their damage with speed and uses special attacks that utilize surprise (sneak attack, trick attack) to cripple opponents. Certain skills may augment your ability to solo (Evasion Bonus) or your appeal to groups (Treasure Hunter) but those are your bonuses not your core purpose. Your core purpose is damage. Therefore your primary weapons should be daggers that deal the most damage. That doesn't mean the dagger with the highest damage (Harpes), just the dagger that, all things considered, hurts the most.

Mandau and Twashtar would sit atop the totem pole according to my view. After that you should roll with either a DEX Kila+2 or Twilight. Right now I think Triplus is the best offhand to any of those as a mainhand.

However if you aren't going to live up to your potential as a DD and just want to dual box, you're fine with AGI Kila +2 daggers

I think Kingx Might be his friend (They seem to know eachother). Somehow i do not think he was refering to fSTR Rank.

If they were, I'll be shocked. But wonderful explanation of it :o

nah not kingx it was some thfs i was doing trials with them when i was lvl 75 i was mainhand Harpe :o and he told me about how this dagger lower my WS dmg cap and things .. i didnt really understand him but all i got from him is the spical type of daggers like relic or twilight r the best follow by the one u get from D.O. notes
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 10:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Twash>Mandau>Str kila>Perfect yataghan>Twilight is how I see it for mainhand
By Rieekil 2011-02-05 13:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:

after spending 120k D.notes i got 2 perfect yataghan " DMG+8 cirt. hit dmg +6%"
and with 2 agi kila ready ... i guess i'll work on 1 str kila +2 now :D

one more question :P

which better enh. Dual Wield or haste ?
in other word which should be better for TPing Nusku's Sash or Twilight belt/swift belt " no twilight belt yet xD " and ignore the double atk part just want to know which one win dual wield or haste
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-05 13:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Rieekil said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:

in other word which should be better for TPing Nusku's Sash or Twilight belt/swift belt " no twilight belt yet xD " and ignore the double atk part just want to know which one win dual wield or haste

I think You'd be better off with Nusku's if you're only other option is Swift belt.

But when you get Twilight it replaces Nusku's, I still use Nusku's for a pseudo-Evasion build, though i rarely need even that anymore.
By Rieekil 2011-02-05 13:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Rieekil said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:

I think You'd be better off with Nusku's if you're only other option is Swift belt.

But when you get Twilight it replaces Nusku's, I still use Nusku's for a pseudo-Evasion build, though i rarely need even that anymore.

ya sadly my only other option is swift belt XD didnt have any other gears options.... all my other melee gears is for my "lolrdm melee" loool!! so ya kinda hard to gear or play the job while it's my first melee job ... meh 1 day lvl 30~75 .. thank you abyssea for making me sound so noob r8 now lol !
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-05 13:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as you don't stay a noob I'll be okay ⌐ ⌐
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-05 13:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think KA is camped that much anymore... and yeah twilight/bullwhip are pretty easy to get
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 13:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

As a stat comparison, haste is always better than dual wield (point per point). Dual wield increases your melee DPS just like haste, but dual wield does this by lowering the effective delay of your weapons (haste does not lower the actual delay). Lower delay means less TP gain per hit, which means haste is slightly superior for DPS. You should always strive to cap your haste for TP phase at 25.x%(unless you can gain some other comparable bonus by giving up haste ex: 5/5 set bonus @ 24% haste). Assuming your haste is already capped, dual wield is a great way to push your attack speed closer to the -80% cap.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-05 13:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Not always. Depending on how much haste and dual wield you have a certain amount of dual wield can increase your attack speed more than that same amount of haste. Which is how sometimes mirke can beat rapp even at capped acc and uncapped gear haste situations

Also DW doesn't always lower tp per hit depending on rounding and such.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-02-05 13:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Mirke only beats Rapparee when you either use the acc or have capped Haste elsewhere..
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-05 14:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Mirke only beats Rapparee when you either use the acc or have capped Haste elsewhere..
Unless you are a thf with auric suppa and raiders boomerang and no external haste. Then mirke comes out slightly ahead. But I was mostly speaking about other jobs like nin and dnc
 Fenrir.Ilax
Server: Fenrir
user: FireDeath
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-02-05 15:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

For my THF i am using 6 different set:

--HP Set--

I replace Bloodbead Ring by Bomb queen ring depend what mob cast. Sometime i also replace it for Shadow ring. (Like for Sedna)

--TP Set--
or

--Utsu precast--

--Utsu midcast--

--Evasion set--

Depend if i have brd or not in PT i swap Melody Earring +1 for Parrying Earring.

--WS Set--

I know some might jump on my adler ring, maybe i am wrong with it, but i have feeling i am not caped on ACC, and yet i have not found anyone that could parse me on this.

**also note i am not saying these set are the best one, just listing what i am using day long to fight nm.**

All comment are welcome and please explain me why i should use something else. I know some piece of gear i have are very crap. like the feet i use in my WS set, i should really get something better, For earring is again my obsession about Acc :(

For my HP set, well i got no luck find anything else then that lol-moogle belt ><
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 16:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You should replace that addler ring with a rajas. And in the 5/5 AF3+2 set, you need a tiercel necklace for the extra haste.
 Sylph.Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-02-05 17:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ilax said:

I know some might jump on my adler ring, maybe i am wrong with it, but i have feeling i am not caped on ACC, and yet i have not found anyone that could parse me on this.

Can you just download kParser and check yourself? Anything around 95% accuracy means you're capped. I'm fairly sure you should be capped on almost anything assuming you are using Razed Ruins. Anything hard enough such that you aren't capped would require accuracy food anyway. If you want to have an accuracy ring option I'd invest in a Toreador or a Sniper+1 rather than sacrifice the 12 attack.

Lithe Boots are actually fine for Evisceration (I'm assuming this is an Evis set given that you are using Thunder over Flame). I'd personally use Nifty for Evisceration still. Assuming you use AoA and/or Alpha and Omega there is a good chance that the Double Attack from Atheling won't matter because one triple will cap your hit frequency. I'd take 5 DEX over 11 attack in that situation. If you want double attack I think it should be in the ear slot with Brutal replacing Kemas. I'd also replace Kemas with Delta or Pixie because I do believe you should be at capped acc.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 17:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Using your current sets, and razed ruins, you will have over capped acc on every mob in abyssea (aside from a few special NMs that have massive evasion like flame skipper and vadleany). Addler is only hurting you.

I use lithe boots as well for evis/rudra, nothing wrong there.

also, may I ask what is the purpose of the HP+ set? Seems to me like it would be a waste of inventory space.
 Sylph.Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-02-05 17:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm guessing it's for mobs like Glavoid with intensely damaging moves like Disgorge where HP is more important that evasion.
 Fenrir.Ilax
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-02-05 18:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
may I ask what is the purpose of the HP+ set? Seems to me like it would be a waste of inventory space.
Glavoid, sedna, and all those kind of NM. Major problem with HP setup is every time i WS i loose like 2k HP making me vulnerable, but now i manage to just WS when i am already loosing lots of HP or right after NM did his TP move or AGA spell, tons of HP i think reduce enmity lost. But ya that HP gear is very situational and take tons of space i have to agree on that.

Sylph.Gredival said:
Lithe Boots are actually fine for Evisceration (I'm assuming this is an Evis set given that you are using Thunder over Flame). I'd personally use Nifty for Evisceration still. Assuming you use AoA and/or Alpha and Omega there is a good chance that the Double Attack from Atheling won't matter because one triple will cap your hit frequency. I'd take 5 DEX over 11 attack in that situation. If you want double attack I think it should be in the ear slot with Brutal replacing Kemas. I'd also replace Kemas with Delta or Pixie because I do believe you should be at capped acc.

yes is for Evis, Nifty sound like good alternative but mean more inventory, i think is fair to say both mantle are decently close enough to not worry? At the moment i really like Atheling Mantle, 1 less gear to swap and work great for TP/WS.

For earring i agree with you, assuming i am cap on accuracy, i really need download that parser and check myself about it, in scenario i am cap then there no point for Kemas. (I wish i had Pixie too, when i was doing HNM i was stacking all my point for Hct. Subligar +1 and that never happened resulting in major waste of my time, i ended up to sell back the cursed-1 and turned the page on it by buying tumbler)

For feet, don't Rager Ledelsens would be better?

Atma i am using (for NM) is Gnarles Horn, RR and Apocalypse, i did try to drop down Gnarles Horn then NM just strip all my shadow in no time.

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-05 19:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used both and I'd put atheling decently higher. Now maybe for rudra's nifty might work out better... people tend to under estimate the power of att on ws.

And yes ragers are pretty good as are Alcd. Leggings +1. Also I'd use Cuchulain's Belt or Anguinus Belt over the ws belt and love torque over gorget.

Also yeah I'd almost never give up GH. If I'm tanking I'd almost rather give up RR. The update on agi is just too nice to pass is up not to mention the the evasion and occasional counter from a defensive standpoint. And the crit hit rate makes it not useless DD wise.
 Fenrir.Ilax
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-02-05 19:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, is why i love GH too, many time the counter saved my utsu-casting. I have Anguinus Belt, it is a very nice belt, but after testing it, Shadow belt won the DMG overall, i just can't explain why, but it did win.

*edit: i am working for Atma of the Savior, is the only one that will replace GH. sad for the counter attack but i don't think i will worry about it.
 Sylph.Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-02-05 19:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ilax said:
i was stacking all my point for Hct. Subligar +1 and that never happened resulting in major waste of my time, i ended up to sell back the cursed-1 and turned the page on it by buying tumbler)

For feet, don't Rager Ledelsens would be better?

Atma i am using (for NM) is Gnarles Horn, RR and Apocalypse, i did try to drop down Gnarles Horn then NM just strip all my shadow in no time.

Two sides to every coin. I spent 15M crafting my -1. After Abyssea tanked the Angel Skins I routinely see the -1's in bazaars for 200k...

I wouldn't give up 6 DEX for 12 attack (again, discounting the 10 accuracy because I am assuming cap). Consider it this way. Would you wear Spiked Gauntlets over Hecatomb Mittens for WS? Most say no, and that's roughly the same trade-off 1 WASC : 2 attack

GH is fine if you're tanking but in a situation where DD can share hate I personally think AO is better for DPS. Same goes for Savior.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-05 19:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I really can't see how shadow belt could win unless you are capping Cratio.

+.1 ftp is adding like 1.6% dmg to eviscertaion. To put it in perspective 7-8 dex would add just as much in abyssea. Att is harder to compare but 20 att should beat the crap out of that barring capped Cratio
 Fenrir.Ilax
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-02-05 19:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Gredival said:
Two sides to every coin. I spent 15M crafting my -1. After Abyssea tanked the Angel Skins I routinely see the -1's in bazaars for 200k...

I got lucky for that part, i got able to sell it back for 12m. But what i was pointing is how much time i lost doing HNM 12~16h/day for so long and for nothing, not even got a dumb drop like pixie earring.

Quote:
I really can't see how shadow belt could win unless you are capping Cratio.

+.1 ftp is adding like 1.6% dmg to eviscertaion. To put it in perspective 7-8 dex would add just as much in abyssea. Att is harder to compare but 20 att should beat the crap out of that barring capped Cratio

Idk Dasva, i did 20 WS with shadow belt and 20 with Anguinus Belt, and shadow ended to win every time by 400+ dmg. I was sad too because that Anguinus Belt was not easy to get.

The 20 WS got done on Colibri / Colibri NM in Abyssea - Misareaux, maybe the extra dmg from piercing give better result on shadow belt, idk. I gonna do more test tonight with other mob/nm and see.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-05 20:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadow belt shouldn't be beating an empty slot by 400 dmg unless you are seriously hurting on acc.

I mean assuming you connect 6 hits and you would've without belt shadow only gives you 1.666% more dmg than an empty slot. For that to give you an increase of on average 400 dmg that would mean your ws would be doing 24k dmg without it... so I think you need more testing lol.

Also peircing bonus is just straight +% dmg at the end. It can't favor any other factor over another. I'm guessing things just happened to get lucky with misses or triple attack/crit procs etc or finishing the mob off.