DRK Suggestions:we're In Ur Game Balancin Ur Dudes

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK Suggestions:we're in ur game balancin ur dudes
DRK Suggestions:we're in ur game balancin ur dudes
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bismarck.Selzak
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-01-07 16:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm making this thread to hopefully convince more people to contact SE with suggestions for DRK. If they get a lot of e-mails regarding this one issue in a short period of time, it should at least grab their attention.

Below is what I wrote to them concerning the job. You can discuss, like, hate, be indifferent, or whatever. Please do try to keep it constructive though, and give ideas of your own. Most importantly, send those suggestions forward to SE! I know most of you probably think it's a waste of time, but I think enough feedback would definitely make them think about the job.

Here's the link to contact SE:
http://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=20&la=1

Here are my suggestions:
Quote:
I suspect that this is a popular issue at the moment, and with good reason. Currently, the Dark Knight job is in desperate need of something to set it apart and define its role.

I believe the overall expectation of the job from the community is a melee damage dealer whose specialty (what it does better than any other job) is spike damage while also holding a few unique magic tricks up its sleeve. As it stands now, however, Dark Knights have fallen far behind in damage (especially spike damage) and its casting abilities are on the verge of being obsolete.

To fix this problem properly and maintain the utmost integrity with respect to the job's position in both game mechanics and lore, I would like to propose a few routes that the job could take to fall into its own niche and reestablish balance among jobs. I will do this not with the intention of having specific abilities and traits added, but simply by extending to you certain possible paths that would match the feelings and expectations associated with the job. Ideas from these paths may be extensively altered, combined, and picked apart but I believe the game's balance would benefit greatly by defining the Dark Knight along the following lines:

PATH 1: TERROR
In terms of lore, Dark Knight is a job that is expected to impose fear. In terms of game mechanics, the Dark Knight's most demanded specialty is the ability to Stun enemies. While this is a legitimate and proper role, the only method available to Dark Knight to accomplish this role is the spell, Stun. Not only is this spell not unique to Dark Knight, it is also available from sub jobs. In addition, Dark Knight does not excel at stunning, a stun from a Dark Knight is no better than any other stun. Weapon Bash, with its 5:00 recast is not noteworthy in this scheme.
What I propose, as an individual who has been a FFXI subscriber for the better part of 7 years, is that this becomes the primary role of the Dark Knight. To do this, it is important to remember that a particular role must be filled throughout the duration of a task and abilities and spells should be carefully examined with regard to recast timers. A job ability (Fear), could be used on a target to occasionally inflict the Terror status upon it. This ability could be a 3:00 recast with a 1:00 duration, and the chance of the target being Terrorized could be based on any number of appropriate dynamics. Again, though, it is important to realize that this would be a staple ability of the job, and should be effective enough to give Dark Knights a unique and demanded role in most situations. Perhaps the effectiveness of this ability could be checked against the player's attack, or the amount of overall damage being done to an enemy within a given time. A Dark Knight might use this ability in preparation for a round of elemental spells by the group's mages, and provide an effective and moderately long-lasting halt on the monster's activity to maintain control of the fight.
This route would also benefit from any spell or combination of spells that deal with stopping the monster in its tracks. The single spell, Stun, is not quite enough.

PATH 2: BIG NUMBERS
Most people play Dark Knight expecting to deal large amounts of damage. In contrast to jobs like Monk, which deal huge amounts of damage over time, Dark Knights have been supposed to put out huge amounts of spike damage. There are a few nuances, of which I'm sure the development team is already aware of, that are keeping Dark Knights from realizing this role and I won't go into those. What I will address, however, is what seems to be the most overlooked and blatantly broken ability in the game; Souleater. This is obviously the Dark Knight's defining ability, but it is plainly impractical to utilize within the game's mechanics. Perhaps an ability like the one proposed above (Fear) might allow the player to use Souleater while keeping the monster Terrorized throughout the majority of its allotted activity. Another thing to consider would be a simple job trait (again, working on the lore of an imposing and feared Dark Knight) that reduces the enemies desire (or enmity) towards the Dark Knight either overall, or when the player inflicts large amounts of damage. Maybe this trait could activate when the Dark Knight deals a large amount of damage in a short amount of time, and cause the enemy to lose all enmity on the Dark Knight.

PATH 3: WORTHWHILE MELEE
It seems very wrong that the Dark Knight job can not be considered a serious melee threat. That jobs like Ninja or even Dancer can be considered more capable of melee damage is extremely unfair to Dark Knights and entirely unbalanced. There are so many opportunities to fix this that it seems like a waste of time to offer suggestions, but one problem that is very apparent most players is the inadequacy of the Last Resort ability. This ability should be at least on par with the Warrior ability Berserk, and offer Dark Knight's a longer buff than what it currently allows. The downtime on Last Resort (recast - duration) should be *much* shorter, and a duration of 1:30 or 2:00 seems a lot more reasonable than what it currently is.

These are simply ideas extended to you in an attempt to aid the process of moving the Dark Knight job into an effective and unique role within the game. These ideas come from the community's understanding of the game and the roles of various jobs within it. My hope is that this might provide direction, or simply spark other ideas that would allow Dark Knights to fill one of these roles.

e: For clarity, I am not proposing an ability that would keep the mob Terrorized for a minute. As a whole, I'm not even strictly proposing abilities or spells at all. The idea is to define DRK's role.
[+]
By Taisaijin 2011-01-08 15:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

A secondary Stun spell such as Stun II or the ability to simply cast Terror in spell form (even if it's duration is minute) would be great boon if only to have something to fall back on while stun is down.

Having a job trait that terrorizes a foe while Souleater is active is a great idea so long as it isn't too aggressive. Causing the creature to be petrified with fright upon hate shifting to the soul devouring Dark Knight during Souleater.

I agree that Dark Knight's role as a spike damage dealer has tarnished with time, the tools and weapon skills at Dark Knight's disposal, withholding Empyrean Weapons, have not aged well. Although I'm not personally able to come up with a competent suggestion to remedy this.

Magic... This is a tough subject in regards to balancing Dark Knight's melee/arcane split. Occult Acumen is useful but the time it takes to cast a single Tier 3 elemental spell does not balance the TP return even when employing Store TP gear and subbing Samurai. A broader variety of Dark Magic Skill based enfeebles and nukes would be an exciting addition to Dark Knight.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-01-08 15:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

should give drk's the ability to cast dark magic while meleeing
extended last resort duration
tier 2 absorb spells that don't decay
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-08 15:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Did DRK ever have unique spells in other FF games? I don't really understand your complaint that DRK needs to be upgraded. Dreads spikes and Drain II are already unique DRK spells and very powerful ones at that especially considering DRK is also very powerful physically. I'm sure there are further additions to these spells coming our way with the future updates too.

Now where are you getting the idea that DRK is not considered a melee threat? I've rarely seen a good DRK being consistently outdamaged by other jobs regardless of the situation.

Anyway, you can't expect SE to bolster the attack power of DRK AND provide more unique spells. DRK is a very delicately balanced job and a slight change could ruin the DD power or make it too much. Adding more unique spells will not make DRK more powerful, chances are it will simply downgrade DRK from primary DD to casting new unique DRK enfeebles in PT situations. You can't have both.

As far as I can see DRK is still very much a unique job and a very powerful one at that with an already unique blend of abilities. Where you get this notion that it needs to be significantly bolstered to fit in I don't know, maybe your not playing the job to it's full capacity.
[+]
 Siren.Stunx
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2011-01-08 15:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

very good read
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Ravager
Server: Shiva
user: Ravager
By Shiva.Ravager 2011-01-08 16:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Make Insurgency crit, problem solved.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-01-08 16:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You want to be able to terrorize a mob for 1 minute, every 3 minutes.

Are you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE?
Letters like this are the reason SE ignores any ideas the playerbase sends them.
[+]
By Taisaijin 2011-01-08 16:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:

Letters like this are the reason SE ignores any ideas the playerbase sends them.

minute, small, miniscule, short~

I'm sorry, I worded that poorly.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-08 16:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Oddly, I agree. This is just kind of stupid QQ and no real viable solution, nor an accurate description of the Dark Knight job as it really is.

Outside of Abyssea, it's not nearly as weak, still coming in Under Warrior, Samurai and Monk, but actually Topping Ninja, as Ninja looses a staggering 73% of their combat DPS without Razed Ruins and Gnarled Horn Atmas (Atmas in general).

What Dark Knight needs, is what just about every Job has already gotten, or, better yet, a Real niche to fill.

SE essentially gave DRK's role to NIN, an attacker that brings Enfeebles to the front line.

As I suggested previously, a Two-stance sustainable JA that is similar to what we've seen with Samurai, Ninja, Warrior and Monk, though Unique to Dark Knight's niche

If you care what it was I suggested:
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-01-08 16:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Taisaijin said:
Bismarck.Altar said:

I was referring to the OP:
Bismarck.Selzak said:
This ability could be a 3:00 recast with a 1:00 duration

A secondary stun wouldn't be a bad idea. But being able to immobilize a mob 33% of the time is stupid. Take 3 Drks to everything and anything. Win the Game.

The amount of QQ in op is insane. Besides the general stupidity of it all. What's next?

Plds are known in game lore for being able to take many hits from foes. They need a Job Trait that grants 90% PDT. And maybe add a job ability with a 3 minute timer and 1 minute duration that makes an enemy focus solely on the Paladin. I think that would give the Paladin Job an effective and unique role in the game.
[+]
 Fenrir.Ruebyy
Server: Fenrir
user: Ruebyy
By Fenrir.Ruebyy 2011-01-08 17:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:

Taisaijin said:
Bismarck.Altar said:

I was referring to the OP:
Bismarck.Selzak said:
This ability could be a 3:00 recast with a 1:00 duration

A secondary stun wouldn't be a bad idea. But being able to immobilize a mob 33% of the time is stupid. Take 3 Drks to everything and anything. Win the Game.

The amount of QQ in op is insane. Besides the general stupidity of it all. What's next?

Plds are known in game lore for being able to take many hits from foes. They need a Job Trait that grants 90% PDT. And maybe add a job ability with a 3 minute timer and 1 minute duration that makes an enemy focus solely on the Paladin. I think that would give the Paladin Job an effective and unique role in the game.

sentinel?
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-01-08 17:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ruebyy said:
sentinel?

I lol'd
 Bismarck.Selzak
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-01-09 14:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:

The one minute duration would be a time period through which the mob might be terrorized by some secondary condition, like damage dealt within a certain period of time. For example, the situation I played out where a DRK uses the ability before mages go through a couple of rounds of nukes. This might cause two terrorize procs that would last something like 5 seconds each.

EX:
DRK uses Fear on mob.
Mob is inflicted with Fear. (Will last one minute)
-If certain conditions are met, the Fear effect may cause Terror.

Also, as I mentioned several times in the letter, this was never meant as "You should do all of this for DRK." They are separate ideas as to how DRK could be made to fit a more defined role within the game.

I don't care about DRK in previous games, FFXI is obviously a different story. Each job should offer something significant that no other job can, and I don't think DRK really accomplishes that right now.
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-01-09 14:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Selzak said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
You want to be able to terrorize a mob for 1 minute, every 3 minutes. ... Are you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE? Letters like this are the reason SE ignores any ideas the playerbase sends them.
The one minute duration would be a time period through which the mob might be terrorized by some secondary condition, like damage dealt within a certain period of time. For example, the situation I played out where a DRK uses the ability before mages go through a couple of rounds of nukes. This might cause two terrorize procs that would last something like 5 seconds each.

Also, as I mentioned several times in the letter, this was never meant as "You should do all of this for DRK." They are separate ideas as to how DRK could be made to fit a more defined role within the game. I don't care about DRK in previous games, FFXI is obviously a different story. Each job should offer something significant that no other job can, and I don't think DRK really accomplishes that right now.

Didn't you see vanafest? They are trying to merge what each job is able to do (make it so that you don't need to have "that one job" in order to do something). Also giving the playerbase a way to "stop" a monsters actions from ja alone is broken in any event. It would make the job too powerful and make the game too easy.
 Alexander.Viciouss
Server: Alexander
user: Viciouss
By Alexander.Viciouss 2011-01-09 14:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just ask for a critical hit ws....
 Bismarck.Selzak
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-01-09 14:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:

Oddly, I agree. This is just kind of stupid QQ and no real viable solution, nor an accurate description of the Dark Knight job as it really is.
I really don't get that. If you think my ideas wouldn't work then that's fine, but to say I'm whining and/or stupid is a little simple on both of your parts.

Quote:

If you care what it was I suggested:
I actually really like the idea of introducing stances to the job and this is exactly the type of thing I made the thread for. Although I would disagree with the abilities consuming MP instead of HP and maybe some aspects of the effects. The point is to propose general ideas, though.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-01-09 14:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Rampage is extremely good for DRK.
 Bismarck.Selzak
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-01-09 14:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Bismarck.Selzak said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
You want to be able to terrorize a mob for 1 minute, every 3 minutes. ... Are you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE? Letters like this are the reason SE ignores any ideas the playerbase sends them.

Also, as I mentioned several times in the letter, this was never meant as "You should do all of this for DRK." They are separate ideas as to how DRK could be made to fit a more defined role within the game. I don't care about DRK in previous games, FFXI is obviously a different story. Each job should offer something significant that no other job can, and I don't think DRK really accomplishes that right now.

Didn't you see vanafest? They are trying to merge what each job is able to do (make it so that you don't need to have "that one job" in order to do something). Also giving the playerbase a way to "stop" a monsters actions from ja alone is broken in any event. It would make the job too powerful and make the game too easy.
Is it much more than a really advanced form of Weapon Bash or Shield Bash? The only real difference would be that you're buying more time to make use of the ability with the price of it requiring actual effort to be effective.
Although I will say that the duration on the initial effect should probably be 30 seconds instead of 1 minute. Still keep in mind that the mob would not be terrorized during all, most, or possibly even any of this time.
 Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-09 14:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

OP really believes anyone from SE will read such a wall of text? lmfao.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-01-09 14:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
There's something wrong if a DRK is using Rampage.
[+]
 Bismarck.Selzak
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-01-09 14:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
It's not that hard to read. A lot of words do not automatically make something a wall of text. The spacing was also a little different in the submission, where you see new lines before paragraphs there were also blank lines in between.
By Serj 2011-01-09 14:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Selzak said:

Sums everything up.
[+]
 Shiva.Matsuro
Server: Shiva
user: Nia
By Shiva.Matsuro 2011-01-09 14:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SE fixed Dark Knight already didn't you know?

I'll tell you what they did, but you have to be hush-hush about it...

They put this thing called a mog house in the game where you can go and change to a useful job!
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-09 14:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Selzak said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
It's not that hard to read. A lot of words do not automatically make something a wall of text. The spacing was also a little different in the submission, where you see new lines before paragraphs there were also blank lines in between.
It's not a case of it being hard to read, it's a case of them giving a *** lol. DRK has been noticeably under par since June last year, giving them 2 major patches to make simple changes that would sort it.
 Bismarck.Selzak
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-01-09 14:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
Bismarck.Selzak said:

Sums everything up.
My avatar is awesome and it is original, yours is somewhere between popular anime character and overused internet meme according to ISSAQ (International Standard Scale of Avatar Quality).
[+]
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-01-09 14:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
There's something wrong if a DRK is using Rampage.

Not when it's a DRK topic.
[+]
 Bismarck.Selzak
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-01-09 14:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Bismarck.Selzak said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
It's not a case of it being hard to read, it's a case of them giving a *** lol. DRK has been noticeably under par since June last year, giving them 2 major patches to make simple changes that would sort it.
Still doesn't make it a wall of text, but you could very well be right about that. Like I said originally though, if we join "QQ" forces they kind of have to take notice at some point. It's not hard to write, "Hey do something to DRK you *** it up." and hit send. If they get a high volume of feedback regarding the same issue, I'd say chances are pretty high that they do something.
By Serj 2011-01-09 15:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Selzak said:
Serj said:
Bismarck.Selzak said:

Sums everything up.
My avatar is awesome and it is original, yours is somewhere between popular anime character and overused internet meme according to ISSAQ (International Standard Scale of Avatar Quality).

At least I'm not going "Hurp durp".
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-09 15:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Selzak said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
Bismarck.Selzak said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
Still doesn't make it a wall of text, but you could very well be right about that. Like I said originally though, if we join "QQ" forces they kind of have to take notice at some point. It's not hard to write, "Hey do something to DRK you *** it up." and hit send. If they get a high volume of feedback regarding the same issue, I'd say chances are pretty high that they do something.
but it's so much easier and more productive to level WAR/MNK/NIN than to QQ and expect anything off SE.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6