First Page 2 3 4
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-22 12:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I'm curious on what jobs are actually worth having the Hecatomb Harness? What would it be for, as in weaponskill only?
 Siren.Bungie
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-02-22 12:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to TP in it!

anything that can use it is good, but for most jobs i think there are better choices just not everyone has the option of having those better choices. and heca is WS only gear.
 Pandemonium.Vrytreya
Server: Pandemonium
user: VZX
By Pandemonium.Vrytreya 2009-02-22 12:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It's generally good for single hit and critical based WS. For multi-hit, if that job can wear Ares, then full Ares is probably better.
 Siren.Delirium
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-02-22 20:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bungie said:
I like to TP in it!

lol dude i <3 your posts
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-02-22 20:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bungie said:
anything that can use it is good

*cough* bard.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-23 00:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, honestly the only heca piece i see as a huge bonus to have on WS would be the cap. That being said it's the only piece of it i own or desire.

For war, i don't see it as very important honestly, and i refuse to ever join another SKY ls to get this one last drop well M head for pld (M sucks aegisjalmr rocks) too is about all i need lol... 12 str 10 acc is nice and all but haub(+1) is also really nice giving attack as well as str and acc and thats just AH war gears... some of them fancy ra/ex ***would smoke this thing imo.

I guess it also depends on what job you are referring to though, it is much nicer for thf than some of the others i believe, though i'm no professional thf, mines like 30ish lol.

Whatever you do, do not TP in this thing, i actually had one war in a party TP in 2 pieces of heca set, and when confronted he said "it makes me hit harder, and the slow+ is balanced out by my haste+" Needless to say we kicked this dude really really fast, then he became irate and cursed at us and stuff and called US noobs. lol
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-23 03:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfo said:
Whatever you do, do not TP in this thing

Okay, okay, I know I'm totally going to get flamed for saying this, lots of people nowadays are very narrow-minded in FFXI, but hear me out for a second.

Imagine, if you will, a simple WAR or DRK in a party (GA WAR, none of that Ridill/Joyeuse crap). They hit pretty hard with their normal melee swings, yes? In fact, their melee swings end up being the bulk of their damage over time, 60-80% of their total damage. Boosting the damage of their melee attacks only increases their damage over time. Sure, Haste and Accuracy can do that too, but for the purposes of normal melee attacks, there's nothing that boosts their damage more than a bit of STR and Attack. That means you're boosting the majority of your damage, rather than people who gear for WS, which only boosts around 30% of your DoT, while simultaneously lowering the damage output of your melee swings.

Every job, with the exception of SAM, gets more damage out of TPing than actually using that TP. This is the reason that a GA WAR will beat a Ridill WAR every time, provided they both have adequate gear.

That being said, I do not condone the use of gear with SLOW on it for TPing. That's stupid. It might work for THF, and make you hit more like a Dual-Axe WAR, but I don't know, and I don't care enough to try. I'm saying that STR will do more than Haste for your melee attacks and essentially your total damage.

Go ahead. Go parse it. The reason everyone thinks otherwise is because everyone nowadays follows the BG fad when lots of their info is false.

To answer your question, Alyria, for any job that can use Hecatomb, you can't go wrong macroing it in for a WS. There's better stuff, sure, but there's a LOT of worse stuff too.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-23 03:39:43
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

To be simple and directly answer the OP: Heca Harness is best suited to multi-hit weapon skills considering the significant accuracy and STR boost. So to be particular, THF & DRG I would say benefit from this the most (ie: Penta Thrust, Skewer, Drakesbane, Dancing Edge, Evisceration). However, it's a great WS body piece for any job that can use it to assure your WS lands accurately and ushers past mob defenses via STR increase.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-02-23 06:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Smurfo said:

Okay, okay, I know I'm totally going to get flamed for saying this, lots of people nowadays are very narrow-minded in FFXI, but hear me out for a second.

Imagine, if you will, a simple WAR or DRK in a party (GA WAR, none of that Ridill/Joyeuse crap). They hit pretty hard with their normal melee swings, yes? In fact, their melee swings end up being the bulk of their damage over time, 60-80% of their total damage. Boosting the damage of their melee attacks only increases their damage over time. Sure, Haste and Accuracy can do that too, but for the purposes of normal melee attacks, there's nothing that boosts their damage more than a bit of STR and Attack. That means you're boosting the majority of your damage, rather than people who gear for WS, which only boosts around 30% of your DoT, while simultaneously lowering the damage output of your melee swings.

Every job, with the exception of SAM, gets more damage out of TPing than actually using that TP. This is the reason that a GA WAR will beat a Ridill WAR every time, provided they both have adequate gear.

That being said, I do not condone the use of gear with SLOW on it for TPing. That's stupid. It might work for THF, and make you hit more like a Dual-Axe WAR, but I don't know, and I don't care enough to try. I'm saying that STR will do more than Haste for your melee attacks and essentially your total damage.

Go ahead. Go parse it. The reason everyone thinks otherwise is because everyone nowadays follows the BG fad when lots of their info is false.

To answer your question, Alyria, for any job that can use Hecatomb, you can't go wrong macroing it in for a WS. There's better stuff, sure, but there's a LOT of worse stuff too.

dude full heca set may increase damage per hit but WILL lower dps vs full haste. as a thf i know this to be extremely true or i wouldnt have haste gear at all. lowering your delay increases dps far more then str/atk ever will
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-23 07:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:

Not true. 2handers as a whole tend to have higher overall WS damage than overall melee damage.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-23 07:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:

You are talking about DoT in somes phrases so i assume you understand the difference, now explain me how a 210hit melee every 20 secs is better than a 170 melee hit every 3~5 sec ? assumingf the STR boost provided will increase the damages by "40 points" its an example very basic there is no calculation.

Also, Haste increase your melee attack speed, which mean you will gain TP faster, if you are in a merit PT at colibri who care if you hit harder? the mob is supposed to die withing 30 sec to make a chain.

Artemicion said:
To be simple and directly answer the OP: Heca Harness is best suited to multi-hit weapon skills considering the significant accuracy and STR boost. So to be particular, THF & DRG I would say benefit from this the most (ie: Penta Thrust, Skewer, Drakesbane, Dancing Edge, Evisceration). However, it's a great WS body piece for any job that can use it to assure your WS lands accurately and ushers past mob defenses via STR increase.

/no not all Multi hited weapon skills.
A WAR Rampage/Raging Rush would benefit more from a Hauby or Hauberk NQ/HQ or Adaman/Armada Hauberk because thoses WS depend of a % crit. DRG get the trait accuracy bonus which allow a good use of Heca Body & its +10 accu, for DRK Great sword Heca Body is a good piece too, for Scythe i'd recommand you to use a Hauby or Hauberk NQ or (+1) or Adaman/Armada Hauberk also. If you want to use it on THF WS go ahead, i think its a very good choice.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2009-02-23 08:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

It's good for Thf, mandau or not, in situations where your accuracy is fairly low and you're using Dancing Edge or Evisceration. Just don't use it for SA/TA solo. If stacking DE or EV with SA/TA, you can and probably still should use heca bod over dragon harness if, again, your acc isn't very high.
 Cerberus.Saiya
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-23 08:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Delirium said:
Enternius said:
Smurfo said:

dude full heca set may increase damage per hit but WILL lower dps vs full haste. as a thf i know this to be extremely true or i wouldnt have haste gear at all. lowering your delay increases dps far more then str/atk ever will

Seconded. I see what you're getting dude, but the amount of damage you inflict per swing will barely change at all as a result of +12STR (Which also =+8ish attack for a 2h). And 13% slow is a MASSIVE reduction in your attack speed.

As an example, say I TP in Askar Korazin, STR+5 Att+12 (That's setting aside the Dbl Attack). Replacing that with Str+12 i've gained 7STR, and lost 4ish Attack. Seeing as attack is the most effective way to boost straight melee damage, and the fact that Askar/Haub has Str/Atk on it already, there's no way that the Heca Body would benefit overall DoT EVEN WITHOUT the Slow+13% taken into consideration.

@ the OP:
Artemicion said:
So to be particular, THF & DRG I would say benefit from this the most (ie: Penta Thrust, Skewer, Drakesbane, Dancing Edge, Evisceration). However, it's a great WS body piece for any job that can use it to assure your WS lands accurately and ushers past mob defenses via STR increase.
THF and DRG primarily would benefit. Ir ecently got the N.Body, and was a bit deflated to realise it doesn't have as many applications as I'd hoped. Gogo Polearm WAR on Colibris^^ And looking forward to trying my THF on birds as well, if I ever get a chance to go THF to a meripo, lol.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-23 08:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm lots of interesting things I sure didn't know. I asked those questions since I have a NBody sitting in my mh and I have only war 75 that can wear it atm and wasnt sure to uncurse it or not. I use a hauberk atm for tping then Kirin Osode to WS cause that's all I have atm. I wish I did have Ares body 1/3 for it but anyways, from what I see, its good for thf and drg mostly. I just hate the slow + factor on it.
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-23 08:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

In my opinion, unless you're using Steel Cyclone, you shouldn't WS in your Osode. For me it's currently a toss-up for Raging Rush between my Haubergeon or my H.Harness. Most people i've asked say that the Dex,Acc & Attack combo from Haub will do me better than the Str/Acc from Harness, and i've started to WS in my Haub again.

If your WAR is 75 and you use it to merit, level polearm^^ Then you have a perfectly viable excuse to use Heca Harness for Penta Thrust; that's what I plan on doing. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results, even to the point where you might consider meritting Polearm solely for use Vs Piercing Weak mobs.

But as indicated above, WS'ing in the Heca Harness is never really 'wrong' because it's a damn good WS piece. STR being the base modifier for almost all kinds of damage, and Acc making that damage connect... nothing bad there, nice n' simple^^
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-02-23 08:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Hecatomb Harness might be good for DRG ws, or maybe for THFs. I'd still use Haubergeon/Hauberk/Adaman Hauberk on jobs who can use those items.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-23 08:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So the heca only for polearm as war? my polearm skill is super low
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-23 08:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelvinclein said:
I think Hecatomb Harness might be good for DRG ws, or maybe for THFs. I'd still use Haubergeon/Hauberk/Adaman Hauberk on jobs who can use those items.
Haha, surely Adaberk goes without saying? =p.

Yeah Alyria, it's not a nice realisation, I feel you, but you'll probably be better off with Haub for WS. But yeah, my Polearm was super low, that's why you need to skill it up XD. As I say though, you CAN use Heca for WAR GAxe WS, it's not bad at all =).
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-23 09:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but King's Justice is heavily STR mod'd and cannot crit like RR, so I think that heca harness is a viable option for KJ.
Currently on WAR I use.
RR-Haub+1
SC-Ososde
KJ-Nbody

On Drk i've been using it on Insurgency as well purley for visual reasons.
I use haub+1 on guilli.

To the OP, for sure I'd use harness on
War - KJ and SC if you don't own an osode
Drk - Spinning Slash (if /thf or if you don't need another stp body to keep 6hit while /sam)
Brd - Not a debate on melee brd dumb or not, this is one of the best ws bodies a brd can get.
Pld - /sam GS body (same as above)
Thf - Best Mercy Stroke body there is
Drg - I'd say this is very much an option for drg. Other choices would be askar, aurum, and zahak's mail.
Bst - Cleary hauby+1 is the best for Rampage, but heca may be an option for Mistral Axe / Decimation / Primal Rend (not too sure about how this ws works though)
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-23 09:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but King's Justice is heavily STR mod'd and cannot crit like RR, so I think that heca harness is a viable option for KJ.
Currently on WAR I use.
RR-Haub+1
SC-Ososde
KJ-Nbody

On Drk i've been using it on Insurgency as well purley for visual reasons.
I use haub+1 on guilli.

To the OP, for sure I'd use harness on
War - KJ and SC if you don't own an osode
Drk - Spinning Slash (if /thf or if you don't need another stp body to keep 6hit while /sam)
Brd - Not a debate on melee brd dumb or not, this is one of the best ws bodies a brd can get.
Pld - /sam GS body (same as above)
Thf - Best Mercy Stroke body there is
Drg - I'd say this is very much an option for drg. Other choices would be askar, aurum, and zahak's mail.
Bst - Cleary hauby+1 is the best for Rampage, but heca may be an option for Mistral Axe / Decimation / Primal Rend (not too sure about how this ws works though)

Considering KJ's 50% STR Mod vs RR's 35%, i'm not sure that the difference would be that apparent. As has already been indicated, Att+ is the first stop to increase DMG, be it DoT or WS. Because WAR WSs don't receive the same broken attack benefits that Y/G/K does for SAM, the +10 attack of the Hauby cannot be ruled out in my opinion. Also, even though KJ isn't a crit-based WS, it CAN still crit, so Dex isn't superfluous?

I guess it's personal choice whether you believe the trade-off of the Att+ and extra Dex is worth the ephemeral benefits of an extra 15% mod for the +7 STR you gain. I'm not hot on the FFXI damage calculations, but I suppose this is delving in to the question: "In most cases, is it even worth using KJ?". I should try using KJ while swapping out my B.Haidate for Warrior's Cuisses, my Heca Gloves for Pallas, Haub for Heca Body and my Amemet+1 for Smilo+1(Though again losing the attack is =/). Be nice to see if KJ can not be such a disappointment if one really sees how far the STR mod takes it.^^
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-02-23 09:44:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecilharvey said:
You are talking about DoT in somes phrases so i assume you understand the difference, now explain me how a 210hit melee every 20 secs is better than a 170 melee hit every 3~5 sec ? assumingf the STR boost provided will increase the damages by "40 points" its an example very basic there is no calculation.

This. This. This. It's been beaten to death. WS only! Accept it or quit FFXI.
 Gilgamesh.Noaratem
user: Metaraon
By Gilgamesh.Noaratem 2009-02-23 10:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfo said:
I dunno, honestly the only heca piece i see as a huge bonus to have on WS would be the cap.

Are u serious ? lol
a full heca set on thf is nice imo, for WS only of course.
expecially if you own a subligar +1 as i do, the 22 attk and DEX on it is sweet
But i do agree with ares being better depending on the job etc.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-23 10:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
Also, even though KJ isn't a crit-based WS, it CAN still crit, so Dex isn't superfluous?

WS cannot crit if they are not crit-based in description unless you force it with Mighty Strikes or Sneak Attack, or Trick Attack with THF 60+.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-23 11:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecilharvey said:

Wooooodum said:
You are an idiot.

(BTW... I myself use as much haste as I can get and only switch in atk/str for WS's on any piece that I can use Haste instead. I do not condone or agree with using an atk/str piece over a Haste +3% or more. I'm simply displaying Cecilharvey's numbers in an ACCURATE comparison to illustrate the fact that he's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and can not do simple math.)

And now to explain just how dense you REALLY are. Generally I would just ignore your posts because they're filled with rather moronic statements... But I can't ignore this one.

Let's try comparing APPLES to APPLES here instead of whatever you're trying to compare. Of course if you have an increase of 40 damage and an increase of 400+% in attack delay the lower damage will win. You'd see 680 dmg in 20 seconds compared to 210 dmg in 20 seconds.
But.. Let's say for arguments purpose that you have one person with capped haste gear of 25% and another without any haste gear. We'll keep your 210 dmg and 170 dmg numbers for the argument (I don't know whether the difference of 40 damage would be close to actual averages you'd see between a full atk/str build and a full haste build) and assume these are numbers averaged out over time. We'll also use a delay of 492 (the largest delay I remember seeing used in combat.) because the haste will have the greatest impact here.
Now then, the person in full haste will attack once every 6.56 seconds and the person w/o haste will attack once every 8.2 seconds. We'll use a 33-second window for attacks because that balances out to approximately 5 hits for full haste and 4 hits for no haste. The person in full haste would see 850 damage and the person with no haste gear would see 840 damage. Gee... That's pretty close... Who ever would have guessed that they'd be so close from the previous post's skewed view of reality?

Now, Cecilharvey, stfu and gtfo. You've peddled enough of your idiocy on these forums.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-23 11:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Now, Cecilharvey, stfu and gtfo. You've peddled enough of your idiocy on these forums.

LMAO ! first of all, learn how to read well because apparently you are the only one missing the point, or you just want to be a jackass "as you are usually".

Cecilharvey said:
its an example very basic there is no calculation.

Now what you say is kinda ironic coming from someone like you. don't try to start a flaming here because there is no point to derail this thread.

QQ Moar!
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-23 11:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That is pretty damn close, which lends some merit to Enternius' post. However, then you get down to the fact that while the full haste player is only ahead by 10 damage, they're also ahead in tp meaning they can weaponskill more often too (and isn't that what haste builds are all about? really?)... in fact, if they have 25% haste, wouldn't they be able to weaponskill 25% more often?

Feel free to burn me for this next comment, as I'm blu only which goes by different rules than most melee jobs (what's +attack gear?), but basically, stick on as much haste as you can get your hands on, get as much accuracy as it takes to get to 95%, and then put attack in every other available slot, and you have your tp build.
 Gilgamesh.Noaratem
user: Metaraon
By Gilgamesh.Noaratem 2009-02-23 11:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
I myself use as much haste as I can get and only switch in atk/str for WS's on any piece that I can use Haste instead.

I agree with full haste cap and switching attk/str gear for WS etc but...

Tbest said:
switch in atk/str for WS's on any piece that I can use Haste instead.

Why would you do this, why not use full heca or ares etc for WS
Why would you use some haste during WSs lol

Kinda makes you look like the idiot
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-23 12:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecilharvey said:
Tbest said:

LMAO ! first of all, learn how to read well because apparently you are the only one missing the point, or you just want to be a jackass "as you are usually", now what you say is kinda ironic coming from someone like you. don't try to start a flaming here because there is no point to derail this thread. Also explain me how to get a capped haste gears when you use full time Hecatomb idiot....

QQ Moar!

He's got you there, the whole point was we were talking about using Heca to DoT, and about how the Str/Dex bonus for melee hits wouldn't be worth adding the ungodly amounts of Slow+%, and overall dps would suffer.

So yeah, in your eagerness to shout and whine and 'flame' you didn't bother to read what is was you were trying to talk about. You 'peddle' your '***' on these forums all the time, thusly displayed above, so reign it in, eh? We had a good thread going.
Raenryong said:
Saiya said:
Also, even though KJ isn't a crit-based WS, it CAN still crit, so Dex isn't superfluous?

WS cannot crit if they are not crit-based in description unless you force it with Mighty Strikes or Sneak Attack, or Trick Attack with THF 60+.

I asked a few people and they agree... that sucks =(. Ah well, 5Dex wouldn;t have done a great deal anyway, hopefully my point still stands^^
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-23 12:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

What? Either you mis-quoted me or quoted the wrong person.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-02-23 12:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
Cecilharvey said:
Tbest said:

LMAO ! first of all, learn how to read well because apparently you are the only one missing the point, or you just want to be a jackass "as you are usually", now what you say is kinda ironic coming from someone like you. don't try to start a flaming here because there is no point to derail this thread. Also explain me how to get a capped haste gears when you use full time Hecatomb idiot....

QQ Moar!

He's got you there, the whole point was we were talking about using Heca to DoT, and about how the Str/Dex bonus for melee hits wouldn't be worth adding the ungodly amounts of Slow+%, and overall dps would suffer.

So yeah, in your eagerness to shout and whine and 'flame' you didn't bother to read what is was you were trying to talk about. You 'peddle' your '***' on these forums all the time, thusly displayed above, so reign it in, eh? We had a good thread going

sorry im a bit sleepy

Saiya said:
What? Either you mis-quoted me or quoted the wrong person.
First Page 2 3 4