Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Hecatomb Questions
Hecatomb Questions
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Take 5 seconds to go check my Equipment History. I have used Hagun. I've used it and used it and used it some more. But when I do better damage with a rare/ex weapon, let alone two, that I already have, what's the point?
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-24 09:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Smurfo said:
Whatever you do, do not TP in this thing

Okay, okay, I know I'm totally going to get flamed for saying this, lots of people nowadays are very narrow-minded in FFXI, but hear me out for a second.

Imagine, if you will, a simple WAR or DRK in a party (GA WAR, none of that Ridill/Joyeuse crap). They hit pretty hard with their normal melee swings, yes? In fact, their melee swings end up being the bulk of their damage over time, 60-80% of their total damage. Boosting the damage of their melee attacks only increases their damage over time. Sure, Haste and Accuracy can do that too, but for the purposes of normal melee attacks, there's nothing that boosts their damage more than a bit of STR and Attack. That means you're boosting the majority of your damage, rather than people who gear for WS, which only boosts around 30% of your DoT, while simultaneously lowering the damage output of your melee swings.

Every job, with the exception of SAM, gets more damage out of TPing than actually using that TP. This is the reason that a GA WAR will beat a Ridill WAR every time, provided they both have adequate gear.

That being said, I do not condone the use of gear with SLOW on it for TPing. That's stupid. It might work for THF, and make you hit more like a Dual-Axe WAR, but I don't know, and I don't care enough to try. I'm saying that STR will do more than Haste for your melee attacks and essentially your total damage.

Go ahead. Go parse it. The reason everyone thinks otherwise is because everyone nowadays follows the BG fad when lots of their info is false.

To answer your question, Alyria, for any job that can use Hecatomb, you can't go wrong macroing it in for a WS. There's better stuff, sure, but there's a LOT of worse stuff too.

You went off on some sort of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE tangent here, even though you agree with me when i said do NOT TP in heca? TP'ing in slow%+ is completely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, why would you even remotely try to justify it? C'mon now. people TP in haste because it's faster TP, duh!

Noaratem said:
Smurfo said:
I dunno, honestly the only heca piece i see as a huge bonus to have on WS would be the cap.

Are u serious ? lol
a full heca set on thf is nice imo, for WS only of course.
expecially if you own a subligar +1 as i do, the 22 attk and DEX on it is sweet
But i do agree with ares being better depending on the job etc.

Did I not say that it's probably better for thf than alot of the jobs that can use it? For war there are simply better options. lern2reed before you quote.

Back to the other dude:

FYI no parse or anything but i was tanking a merit party last night on birds with maneater/joyeuse and haste build without even voking with a Gaxe war and 2 sams in same party last night, tell me haste build DoT sucks. I strongly disagree with the statement that a Gaxe war will beat a ridill war EVERY time. That is indeed false and you must have seen some pathetic ridill wars to have an opinion like this.

I think for most typical AH build melees 2hand might be better, but if you gear a multi-hit build right imo it still trumps Gaxe. Esp. since birds are weak to piercing i.e. joyeuse, it crits like crazy.

Anyway i'm sure some Gaxe fanboy will rip this post apart but whatever, fact is i know i do more as /nin with dual wield than gimping myself out with a slow *** Gaxe as /nin, that's the one thing that drove me away from that job, people all still expect /nin but also expect you to use a gimp 2hander weapon even though your sub isn't geared for it. Gaxe + /sam only for me.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh. I didn't even see that last post by Saiya. Alright, here goes.

enternius said:
Not parsed, but I did use a calculator to find averages

Saiya said:
claiming you have sources of information

I don't get it. I never said I had sources of information.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 09:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Using Hecatomb for TPing would be like a BLM nuking in Magic Attack minus. I just don't get what this discussion is about.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
I just don't get what this discussion is about.

I think Smurfo woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. No one was arguing with him, but he just stormed in and started bashing everyone.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-24 09:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Wooooodum said:
I just don't get what this discussion is about.

I think Smurfo woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. No one was arguing with him, but he just stormed in and started bashing everyone.

You you went off quoting me for whatever reason and making your opening statement, claiming in effect that I am narrow minded along with the majority of the ffxi community. Then you agreed with me to not TP in heca, it honestly made zero sense and was full of contradictions. Why would you take what i said, quote it, disagree with me and agree with me all in the same post?
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-24 09:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfo said:
I think for most typical melees 2hand might be better, but if you gear a multi-hit build right imo it still trumps Gaxe. Esp. since birds are weak to piercing i.e. joyeuse, it crits like crazy.

Anyway i'm sure some Gaxe fanboy will rip this post apart but whatever, fact is i know i do more as /nin with dual wield than gimping myself out with a 2hander as /nin, that's the one thing that drove me away from that job, people all still expect /nin but also expect you to use a gimp 2hander weapon even though your sub isn't geared for it.

Where did this come from? Completely irrelevant to the thread, but you managed to make it sound insulting/derisive just the same. At what point was the merits of 2H vs Dual-Wield under dicussion? Seems you're just spoiling for a fight, as usual.

And besides, for a 2h GA Raging Rush build, what would you take over Heca Subligar, Bearing in mind the Att+ as well? And Heca feet? What foot piece for WAR WS trumps STR+6 DEX+3?
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-24 09:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
blah blah blah

How is it that me posting my opinions = me itching for a fight/argument?

The guy was quoted saying that a Gaxe will beat a ridill every time, did you miss that part? I was simply stating my opinion of dual wield vs 2hand. anyway, i gotta go to work now, it's nice to know that somehow i ruined your day.
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-24 09:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:

enternius said:

Saiya said:

You did. You said "This is what JPs do, they've moved on from the Haste/Hagun fad". You claimed you knew this because you are Japanese, and you know how your people act. This is a claim to a source of information^^. So i asked for you to use that source to provide suitable proof, seems fair?

And if you've calculated averages manually, fair enough, you've proven it to yourself. But you can't really try to push your argument and expect people to be receptive when you've been so inadequate in terms of proof =/ (sorry to keep overusing the word).

And Smurfo, you flatter yourself to think you ruined my day. But your attitude sure is annoying, and doesn't encourage anyone to be objective when they read it. You should work on that.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-24 09:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
Enternius said:

enternius said:

Saiya said:

You did. You said "This is what JPs do, they've moved on from the Haste/Hagun fad". You claimed you knew this because you are Japanese, and you know how your people act. This is a claim to a source of information^^. So i asked for you to use that source to provide suitable proof, seems fair?

And if you've calculated averages manually, fair enough, you've proven it to yourself. But you can't really try to push your argument and expect people to be receptive when you've been so inadequate in terms of proof =/ (sorry to keep overusing the word).

And Smurfo, you took it all far too personally. His post only incolved you circumstancially at best, and you;re dramatising it. We're in the meat of something here, wait your turn ^^.

lol wait my turn? you quoted me, i responded, stfu with this nonsense, you quote me I have every right to explain myself.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 09:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 Smurfo He'll argue his point with the same vigor as I will, although he is wrong alot :D
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
you've proven it to yourself. But you can't really try to push your argument and expect people to be receptive when you've been so inadequate in terms of proof =/

I don't expect anyone to believe me. These are just my findings, and in the face of an overwhelmingly large group of people in support of Haste/ACC for TPing, the smaller people are always going to lose. Besides...We've already seen first-hand how people respond to a foreign concept (/sea all Frobeus).
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 09:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:

And besides, for a 2h GA Raging Rush build, what would you take over Heca Subligar, Bearing in mind the Att+ as well? And Heca feet? What foot piece for WAR WS trumps STR+6 DEX+3?

RR leg gears Heca+1/Heca/Are's/Byakko are all decent
For feets, Are's is good as well with maybe some adjustments to other gear to make up for the stat swaps.
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-24 09:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not blind refusal of a new idea =/. It's asking for the backup behind your arguments, which is perfectly reasonable.

If you don't expect people to believe you, then why did you continue to argue the case after your initial two cents? And you stepped on quite a few toes racially and professionally in your initial posts; if your agenda is so passive then you gotta be a bit more tactful ^^. Playing the underdog card and nothing else doesn't carry much weight, and that isn't because we're not receptive to new ideas.

Edit*
@Frobeus - In my mind Ares isn't as obtainable as Heca Feet, but the point is well taken. But if I were to WS on RR in all heca except body, no one could say it was gimp, right?^^Wearing 4 pieces of Heca could indeed be considered a 'sgnificant boost' =p (in fact I just need head and feet and that's what i'll be doing. Legs i'm using Byakko's till I can get something better than both the Subligar & Haidate.)
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 09:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Using Hecatomb for TPing would be like a BLM nuking in Magic Attack minus. I just don't get what this discussion is about.

I think we're past the tp'ing in heca discussion, and just talking about STR/attack with no haste (not -haste) vs full haste. I'm seeing good points on both sides, but no parses to confirm either, so I'm blindly following the haste fad/hagun fad.

Also, as someone else mentioned, I was under the impression that STR and attack had a cap, so once you have over a certain amount it starts to do less and less, while the haste cap for gear is 25%, which is as high as any job can get in gear anyway... Honestly, I just pulled all those numbers and facts out of my arse, but isn't there an attack cap for melee hits which makes haste even more useful than just getting tp faster? But hey, my attack is 361 in my tp build, so what do I know :D

edit: ten posts were made since I started writing this... I'm slowga O_O
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I continued to argue my case because people were arguing with me. And I'm not one to pass up a good argument, but now this bores me. Let's just agree that different people will get different uses out of different gear.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

@Blazza, there is a soft cap to Attack/STR, but that's really only prevalent on Too Weak mobs. You notice that melee weapons rarely hit higher than 300 on most mobs LV1-50 or so. Ranged Attacks have a much more leniant cap, as I've hit 800 with a ranged attack on a LV10 mob (And 6k with a Slug Shot, on THF.) But it takes a lot of STR to cap vs. VT/IT mobs. A lot more than any player could reasonably obtain.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 09:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
@Blazza, there is a soft cap to Attack/STR, but that's really only prevalent on Too Weak mobs. You notice that melee weapons rarely hit higher than 300 on most mobs LV1-50 or so. Ranged Attacks have a much more leniant cap, as I've hit 800 with a ranged attack on a LV10 mob (And 6k with a Slug Shot, on THF.) But it takes a lot of STR to cap vs. VT/IT mobs. A lot more than any player could reasonably obtain.

I'd like to see someone with a damn good STR build have a play with some of the things we've discussed with double elegy, STR food, sch fire weather thingy (it adds STR with new group 2 merits) and anything else that can add STR that I'm unaware of.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 09:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Saiya said:
you've proven it to yourself. But you can't really try to push your argument and expect people to be receptive when you've been so inadequate in terms of proof =/

I don't expect anyone to believe me. These are just my findings, and in the face of an overwhelmingly large group of people in support of Haste/ACC for TPing, the smaller people are always going to lose. Besides...We've already seen first-hand how people respond to a foreign concept (/sea all Frobeus).

Again wrong. In fact, if you can provide any proof what-so-ever people in ffxi will generally jump on the idea and begin to test it for themselves. It only took one guy on BG to show the math on Y/G/K that Osode is actually better than Haub for everyone to accept the idea.

The problem here is, its not a foreign idea. In fact its a very old idea, for 2~3 years ago that has been proven to be false hundreds of times over. I have one goal when it comes to my Sam, to be the very best Sam that I can be. I'm very serious when I say, if you can show a better way to do things, with the numbers to back it up, I'd change the way I gear and play Sam in a heartbeat.
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-24 10:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
I'm very serious when I say, if you can show a better way to do things, with the numbers to back it up, I'd change the way I gear and play Sam in a heartbeat.
This!^^
And this applies to any job for me, not just SAM.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay. How's this?

For starters, don't let people like Frobeus or me influence the way you play jobs. Play them how you want, it's guaranteed to be 2.65x as fun. -Uses numbers to make it sound more factual-
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 10:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Okay. How's this?

For starters, don't let people like Frobeus or me influence the way you play jobs. Play them how you want, it's guaranteed to be 2.65x as fun. -Uses numbers to make it sound more factual-

Not really, for myself at least, I have fun knowing that I am doing something very very well. I also have fun learning from others who share an intrest similar to mine.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-24 10:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

wow...well 3 pages for 2 questions lol O.o

I think I'll stick to saving my 500k, wear a hauberk and use my Osode still lol at least til I can have playtime to actually do assaults and salvage.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Jeez, do you have to disagree with everything I say?

Hagun is good! (Heh.)
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 10:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:

Edit*
@Frobeus - In my mind Ares isn't as obtainable as Heca Feet, but the point is well taken. But if I were to WS on RR in all heca except body, no one could say it was gimp, right?^^Wearing 4 pieces of Heca could indeed be considered a 'sgnificant boost' =p (in fact I just need head and feet and that's what i'll be doing. Legs i'm using Byakko's till I can get something better than both the Subligar & Haidate.)

4/5 Heca - body would be considered top of the line gear for a RR build. You may be able to tweak here and there, but no, it would not be considered gimp.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 10:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Jeez, do you have to disagree with everything I say?

Hagun is good! (Heh.)

What can I say, its so much fun!
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah. You have a point there.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 10:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
wow...well 3 pages for 2 questions lol O.o

I think I'll stick to saving my 500k, wear a hauberk and use my Osode still lol at least til I can have playtime to actually do assaults and salvage.

Save your 500k till you really do need that N body, or uncurse it for pretty factor.
Use Haub for tp and RR and osode for SC and maybe KJ.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 10:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

One day, i swear im gonna find someone who hates hagun and through my endless rantings on an internet forum they will see the light! Then, all my trolling will so be worth it.
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-24 10:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Admittedly, the Heca Harness is VERY pretty^^.

I have Polearm on WAR, and THF75 also, so I get sue out of it ^O^