Optimal set for SAM? :>
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-09-23 17:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh well..i got my acc in mine. I miss less then if we're not using food :P Also i get jumps too. so thats free tp
you'll have to ask someone for math lol. i don't have formulas
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-23 17:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
Oh well..i got my acc in mine. I miss less then if we're not using food :P Also i get jumps too. so thats free tp
What the *** is a fully upgraded Amano whiffing on to begin with?
[+]
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-09-23 17:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Acc is actually similar if you look at it, /WAR also has a Aggressor Phase which would allow some adjustments like Strigoi ring and such
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-09-23 17:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Oh well..i got my acc in mine. I miss less then if we're not using food :P Also i get jumps too. so thats free tp you'll have to ask someone for math lol. i don't have formulas
What the *** is a fully upgraded Amano whiffing on to begin with?
no clue~ just threw that out there while trying to get my ffxiv update at starbucks
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-09-23 17:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Swapping Carbonara out for Hoard Ring makes you come up at 19.9% TP during the TP phase, which you could fix by pairing it with a White Tathlum, but then you have the issue with having enough Store TP on weapon skills themselves (without having to wear gimp/HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE/etc equipment to support it).

I stand by my original post, at least until Lv.90.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-23 17:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
Swapping Carbonara out for Hoard Ring makes you come up at 19.9% TP during the TP phase, which you could fix by pairing it with a White Tathlum, but then you have the issue with having enough Store TP on weapon skills themselves (without having to wear gimp/HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE/etc equipment to support it).

I stand by my original post, at least until Lv.90.
The set I posted supports a WS set with no STP aside from aftermath, Rose Strap, Rajas, and Brutal. I would have gone straight for the Carbonara but I know some of you guys like your RCBs and there's the occasional pizza scenario even for Amano so I decided to start with a set that got a 5hit purely from gear and subtract from there.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-09-23 17:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
The set I posted supports a WS set with no STP aside from aftermath, Rose Strap, Rajas, and Brutal. I would have gone straight for the Carbonara but I know some of you guys like your RCBs and there's the occasional pizza scenario even for Amano so I decided to start with a set that got a 5hit purely from gear and subtract from there.

That set comes up at 19.9% TP without Kaiten's Aftermath or Carbonara, so I'm kind of confused here when it comes to the matter of being able to weapon skill freely, let alone hold the build in question.

Red Curry's nice with Kaiten, but having to rely on Aftermath repeatedly is very unreliable; I'd take Carbonara any day of the week (plus, it's cheaper).
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-23 17:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I did include aftermath. Worst case you could swap to Tactical Mantle and WTath (or some mixture involving STP on WS gear) when AM goes down, I was just looking for ways to get the 5hit without gimping WS damage. Probably better to do it your way though and swap something out if AM's up.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-09-23 18:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust me, Aftermath is misunderstood for most actual situations outside of parsing mayhem, ala Einherjar.

I never ever rely on it, period, since it pretty much always wears right at the worst times (to where you'd lose the -hit build if you were to rely upon it), though it works perfectly for the build I posted.
[+]
 Caitsith.Ejin
Guide Maker
Server: Caitsith
user: Ejin
By Caitsith.Ejin 2010-10-04 06:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust me, Aftermath is misunderstood for most actual situations outside of parsing mayhem, ala Einherjar.

I never ever rely on it, period, since it pretty much always wears right at the worst times (to where you'd lose the -hit build if you were to rely upon it), though it works perfectly for the build I posted.

Care to explain what kind of stuff you're doing where it takes you more than 10 seconds to engage a mob? inb4 salv/dynamis both are so stupidly easy justifying a true 5hit over an AM 5hit is silly.

The true fact is nearly everything worth doing in this game is a "parsing mayhem" and not having an aftermath set is ridiculous. Do you know any competent DRKs that don't use a Cata aftermath set? I'm willing to bet you either: do dynamis with 20+ people, still do salvage for some unknown reason, or really don't realize how much your aftermath is up. Anyways, i'm sorry if you mean with your current 6hit set you don't rely on aftermath(which you can in order to use better WS gear) But once trying to get 5hit with 437 delay weap, kaiten aftermath becomes very important.

If you're that anal about it being true 5hit 100% of the time make a spellcast to swap in the missing 7stp if AM happens to wear.

Anyways, i'm lucky enough to actually have most of this gear already. I can say from experience that for the events i do i'm able to keep aftermath up 99% of the time. I'd call it optimal Aftermath set with the current gear available with the exception of vulcan's earring over bushi for WS.

TP-Aftermath Up

Kaiten

Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-10-04 06:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Ejin said:

Care to explain what kind of stuff you're doing where it takes you more than 10 seconds to engage a mob? inb4 salv/dynamis both are so stupidly easy justifying a true 5hit over an AM 5hit is silly.

The true fact is nearly everything worth doing in this game is a "parsing mayhem" and not having an aftermath set is ridiculous. Do you know any competent DRKs that don't use a Cata aftermath set? I'm willing to bet you either: do dynamis with 20+ people, still do salvage for some unknown reason, or really don't realize how much your aftermath is up. Anyways, i'm sorry if you mean with your current 6hit set you don't rely on aftermath(which you can in order to use better WS gear) But once trying to get 5hit with 437 delay weap, kaiten aftermath becomes very important.

If you're that anal about it being true 5hit 100% of the time make a spellcast to swap in the missing 7stp if AM happens to wear.

Anyways, i'm lucky enough to actually have most of this gear already. I can say from experience that for the events i do i'm able to keep aftermath up 99% of the time. I'd call it optimal Aftermath set with the current gear available with the exception of vulcan's earring over bushi.

TP-Aftermath Up

Kaiten

I want to see your Yoichi build in action :X

Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-10-04 17:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Little bit late, but anyways,

Caitsith.Ejin said:
Do you know any competent DRKs that don't use a Cata aftermath set?

Two totally different aftermaths, but this sentence aside, you're just contradicting yourself.

You're saying you pretty much spam Kaiten everywhere, meanwhile (prime example) even in Abyssea, I've noticed Gekko beats it in consistency quite often, even more-so on harder targets.

That aside, your "Aftermath" build is still not even an ideal aftermath build if you wanted to get technical: If you used Carbonara, you could put in Thew Bomblet and Ace's Sabatons over the tathlum and sune-ate while Aftermath is up, and still hold the five-hit just fine.

Ecphoria Ring, White Tathlum and Usukane Sune-ate without Aftermath up of course, which then allows you to Gekko freely whenever you like (with Usukane Haramaki in-place of Askar Korazin on Gekko).

In short, I suppose I stand corrected about making use of Kaiten's Aftermath, meanwhile it can pretty much easily be supported via Spellcast, but I figured out a little more than just that for you too, as you can see. =)
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ittoryu
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Ittoryu 2010-10-04 17:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

undeniably the best tp set, with all that str, you will be dealing a lot of damage. This set also has a 7 hit build so that you won't be wsing that fast.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-10-04 17:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot a second Vulcan's Earring with that. :(
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-04 18:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:

undeniably the best tp set, with all that str, you will be dealing a lot of damage. This set also has a 7 hit build so that you won't be wsing that fast.

Just a suggestion bro, I would swap out that axe grip for a sword strap.

That would bring you up to an 8hit build so that you can ws less, and deal more damage through more melee hits.

Also, don't merit StoreTP. It would break your 8hit build and bring you down to a 7hit build;we don't want that. Meriting Warding circle will be far more beneficial.

[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ittoryu
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Ittoryu 2010-10-04 18:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:

That would bring you up to an 8hit build so that you can ws less, and deal more damage through more melee hits.

Also, don't merit StoreTP. It would break your 8hit build and bring you down to a 7hit build;we don't want that. Meriting Warding circle will be far more beneficial.

good ideas!
 Caitsith.Ejin
Guide Maker
user: Ejin
By Caitsith.Ejin 2010-10-04 18:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You're saying you pretty much spam Kaiten everywhere, meanwhile (prime example) even in Abyssea, I've noticed Gekko beats it in consistency quite often, even more-so on harder targets.

Yes, that was exactly my point. Nothing in the game anymore requires the use of gekko over kaiten, even without cor/2nd bard buffs(if you do happen to have these it only widens the gap for kaiten).

I was hoping you'd bring up abyssea, because with Eve atma's 2 tp regain it makes the sets i listed true 5hit builds(assuming 2 tics), and it actually allows me to swap in ace's sabatons and prolly throw in thew also. But anyways, abyssea is the best example of where kaiten shines, atleast if you have the proper atmas/abyssites. With the refresh buffs your mages get and the hp buffs DD get there is never a reason to /nin.(we do Glavoid(and every other abyssea NM to date) with 2 sam/wars tanking)

[+]
 Caitsith.Konda
user: Konda
By Caitsith.Konda 2010-10-04 19:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Even without Amano, Gekko gets beat out by Rana on alot of mobs, even bosses...

There just doesnt seem to be much with enough defense anymore to warrent Gekko 100% of the time if you're properly buffed.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-04 19:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:
good ideas!
AF3 feet have more STR and less haste!

They have accuracy though, might *** with Zanshin =\
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-04 19:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
They have accuracy though, might *** with Zanshin =\

haha, nice
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-10-04 19:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:

keep sword strap with Hyogugusarinotachi +1 (STR8/ATT22)
and of course 0sTP merits for 8 hit
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
Server: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2010-10-08 14:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Any feedback on my current 5 hit Masamune builds?

http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Phoenix/Neosutra#item-sets

I figured the most likely scenarios would be:

1. Outside abyssea (no eve), with and without a corsair.

2. Inside abyssea (eve's atma) with and without a corsair.

Varying Pizza/Red Curry/Carbonara based on the above criteria.

I know I can count on different # of ticks from Eve based on my current buffs (relying on 2 ticks only, 1 during WS animation, and 1 during TP phase).

I was also thinking of looking at Eve + Would be King atma pairing instead of Eve/Stout (extra regain for less stp needed during 5 hit and TP bonus on WS), but I'm not sure if the TP bonus outweighs the +Str and +Attack from stout for Tachi: Fudo (especially if Fudo doesn't give the attack bonus that Gekko gives, which I haven't been able to test yet).
[+]
 Phoenix.Deboro
user: Deboro
By Phoenix.Deboro 2010-10-08 15:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Neo once that massumune is done you will probably be the Best sam across serves lol, specially with the Perfect gear you already have for it. Bot honestly, just always bring a Cor, would be rare to not actually have one for what your doing.
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2010-10-08 15:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hoping to finish Lantern's this weekend so I can determine any attack boost differences with Fudo and nail down ODD rate by TP.

I saw Ejin's post on BG about his friend finishing and seems consistent with my expectations. Still uncertain whether ODD procs on WS or whether his outliers in damage were just the result of DAs (the way the double damage in fudo is applied is kinda weird).

I do usually pair myself with a Cor, as 5 hit Masamune is just insane, but I like to be geared/ready for all other options. Realistically, i could probably drop a bit of TP in my setups when /war just to almost always getting at least 2 tp from being hit/AoEd during each TP phase (just leave hasso up a lot in abyssea with mages having infinite MP >.>).

As for best Sam, I'm still learning lol. Just really enjoy the job and always trying to pull out as much as I can out of it. We have several really good Sams on Phoenix.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-08 15:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:

Sam 5hit (No Cor, No Eve Atma, with Carb food)

Sam 5hit(No Cor, With Eve Atma, With Carbonara)

Sam 5hit(with Cor giving Sam's Roll)

Sam High Acc

SAM WS
ftfy
Also, Ziel Charm/Strigoi Ring =P
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2010-10-08 15:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanx lol, haven't posted much on these boards so wasn't sure how to post the links.

Wife made the flame ring, so probably going to stick with that until something better than +6 comes out.

AT > Ziel charm though. Same acc, 8 more evasion, and contributes to dDex (for whatever that matters).

We'll see what all SE outdates in the next update though..

Perhaps with another tier of STP and AF3+2 body/hands we'll all be looking at 4 hit Masamune builds..

edit: Looking at Ejin's gear as a reference, I'm also missing Unkai Back for TP/WS. I also have suppa instead of Bushi.. But not sure if I care to exchange that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-08 16:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:
With that much STP you're WSing with, would that make Bobcat belt a valid item to use, or is that necessary for your 5 hit?
 Caitsith.Konda
user: Konda
By Caitsith.Konda 2010-10-09 18:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Neo, you forgot SAM jse mantle
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2010-10-10 12:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya I may pick one of those up today, have a pop for the giant.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2010-10-12 11:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing I'm considering is dropping Usukane body for Askar body during Fudo, as Fudo doesn't seem to have the attack boost gekko does. Most of the other WS gear would remain the same and I should still be able to keep my 5 hit for each setup.