Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Optimal set for SAM? :>
Optimal set for SAM? :>
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 18:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Samurai is one of the few jobs that Could-have benefitted from the 8% haste Tiara, actually bringing them to the Haste cap finally, but anyone who actually knows where the strength of Samurai is, would, as you people have, find it to be pointless.

I haven't run the numbers though, but maybe the Body+2 allows Non-Masamune (Particularly Hiraddenotachi+2) SAM to use the Tiara, because of the Added Delay?
 Diabolos.Cloudg
Server: Diabolos
user: Krzkilla
By Diabolos.Cloudg 2011-01-01 01:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Samurai is one of the few jobs that Could-have benefitted from the 8% haste Tiara, actually bringing them to the Haste cap finally, but anyone who actually knows where the strength of Samurai is, would, as you people have, find it to be pointless.

I haven't run the numbers though, but maybe the Body+2 allows Non-Masamune (Particularly Hiraddenotachi+2) SAM to use the Tiara, because of the Added Delay?

Correct i guess, for a 450 delay Gkt.

Haste: You can cap with Zelus, dusk +1, Goading, usu boots, and those 7% haste legs.
TP: using af3+2 body, usu boots, WT, Rajas, Brutal, Hoard Ring, Goading, Tactical Mantle, Unkai Nodowa, Rose Strap

That should be 20.9 TP a Hit, allowing for almost free WS (Brutal/Rajas/Rose) and capped haste with a 5 hit.
 Asura.Hotin
Server: Asura
user: HotinTJ
By Asura.Hotin 2011-01-06 05:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Ew, Samurai has to avoid a lot of Nice new stuff to keep that true 5. No atheling mantle :(

TP phase:

Used Amano 90 because that is what i have.

With Unkai mimikazari over white tathlum, you get exactly 100tp after WS + 4 hits, your choice.

WS:
Use whatever you want for the others slots.
Can use better legs like Hachiryu or Usukane legs for Kaiten because you get STP+7 aftermath which is the same as Unkai haidate +2 STP amount.

Why goading belt you may ask? Because attack +35 DA+3% ( difference with tactical mantle) > haste +2% and negative stats on bullwhip belt for TP phase, that is if you care about outside abyssea content.
[+]
 Diabolos.Cloudg
Server: Diabolos
user: Krzkilla
By Diabolos.Cloudg 2011-01-07 06:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotin said:
Why goading belt you may ask? Because attack +35 DA+3% ( difference with tactical mantle) > haste +2% and negative stats on bullwhip belt for TP phase, that is if you care about outside abyssea content.

Is this true? >_>
I've always been told to stack haste in any place you do not need STP.
 Bismarck.Nalien
Server: Bismarck
user: juro
By Bismarck.Nalien 2011-01-07 08:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the maths yourself
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-07 15:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno why we're talking about the negative stats on Bullwhip as if they mean something ever, but Atheling + Goading can beat Tactical + Bullwhip, especially with low buffs.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Nobusagi
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nobusagi
By Carbuncle.Nobusagi 2011-02-06 11:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my TP build, still working on the +2 head and body and I sometimes use a Pole Grip depending on how my crit rate (fully merited too) is going that day. I normally run VV, RR, and Apoc in Abyssea. I usually crit stuff for 450+ on most hits I land

WS Gear for Gekkos since I'm working on my Masamune still. No Twilight Helm just yet. I was curious if I should bother switching to my Unkai Sugemino for WSing since it seems to me that the additional STR would be better than just keeping the Atheling on. Gekkos go anywhere from 1700-3800. I get yelled at for ruby light a lot. :p

Any advice on how to improve either build, besides the obvious stuff I already said I was working on, would be appreciated.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-06 11:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

get a masamune and then play your monk
[+]
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-02-06 11:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

With that GK - Sword Strap & Bullwhip Belt as you're way over 5hit.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-06 11:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
 Carbuncle.Nobusagi
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nobusagi
By Carbuncle.Nobusagi 2011-02-06 16:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:

I do play my monk. He's my blue proc machine haha.

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
With that GK - Sword Strap & Bullwhip Belt as you're way over 5hit.

Cool. I'll definitely give this a whirl next time I use my SAM. Good thing I already had a Bullwhip Belt handy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-02-06 17:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nobusagi said:
No Twilight Helm just yet.

Ok yea so what? Why does Twilight helm matter for an already Capped ACC WS, when you have a higher STR and attack helm already?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-06 17:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering your acc is essentially capped in 99% of the game situations when you use Gekko or Fudo, why wouldn't you?

and I love how you included the acc from dex on Twilight but neglected to add the attack from the 2 str.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-02-06 17:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ilu Tiger <3

Seriously tho, Newer does not = Better

People drive me insane, the first hit of EVERY weaponskill has 95% ACC whether you choose to belive it or not.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-06 17:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

As for sam, I don't use sam in abyssea, but if I'm capping on mnk, which only gets .5 acc per dex rather than .75, I don't really see my sam ever coming close to having a problem with accuracy.

Also, as previously stated, there's the acc bonus for the first hit of every ws. Now it's not guaranteed 95%, but it's a *** lot of acc. Only situation i can really think of where it isn't going to be 95% is if you lv sync to 75 vs nidhogg and ws w/ blind up from his wing move.

As for the latter question

Only fstr caps, WSC (ws mod) has no cap at all, so if you came to a cap at acc, attack, and fstr, str is still going to win because it still adds dmg because of it being a ws mod.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-06 17:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The acc boost was enough for when I did my blind potion test having melee acc of 50%, I'd still have 95% hitrate on ws.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-02-06 17:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
People drive me insane, the first hit of EVERY weaponskill has 95% ACC whether you choose to belive it or not.
You really believe that? Every ws has 95% acc on it's first hit? I wish 950 of 1000 of my gekkos were that magical lol but honestly my GK isn't capped anymore, maybe just recapping those couple lvls again will help enough *hopefully* -_-

There have been many tests proving that its true(using blind pots on very evasive mobs), I am sure Ironguy and many others will back me up with it, if you are denying it then you are just being ignorant. Its a HUGE accuracy bonus for every first hit of a Weaponskill.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-06 17:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

99% of the time it is. Very very few situations where it's not. The nidhogg example I gave earlier being one of them.
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2011-02-06 21:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I wasn't denying the accuracy boost of a weaponskill. Your claim of 95% for a floor was surprising though
Its not auto 95% cap on acc no. Its a big of an acc boost however to be assured you will be capping on 90%+ on mobs in the game outside of thf/nin NM types(can still be capped against them aswell though), flash, or some mob with rediculous amount of evasion.

Acc is still important on your double attack/triple attack procs on your ws, however with cruor buffs any small lacking % on your acc that you might have will be covered with the 50+ dex(37-52acc ie 18-26% hitrate inc) that you get.
 Valefor.Ryukuro
Server: Valefor
user: Ryukuro
By Valefor.Ryukuro 2011-02-28 18:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Had a quick read through and didn't see any sets posted with Hira +2 (450 delay) so was wondering if you guys could help me out let me know whats needed to maintain 5 hit through TP and WS phase.

Here is current TP set:

and current WS set:

I haven't really used SAM much lately cause it hadn't been used since abyssea...but have gotten few pieces for it here n there and this is what i got so far.. Would what I have be enough? Or would i need to ditch Ace's Mufflers and/or get AF3+2 body or White Tathlum or Belenos Mantle? Been a while since I played with SAM x-hit builds. cheers guys.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-28 18:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure Light Belt doesn't work for Fudo.
 Valefor.Ryukuro
By Valefor.Ryukuro 2011-02-28 18:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:

Wasn't what I was asking lol.

Unless person who edited wiki is a dumbass, which would make me a dumbass for believeing wiki.....

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Light_Belt says so it does right there.

Anyhow, was after 5 hit advice thanks ^^
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-02-28 18:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Dusk Gloves, Hoard Ring and White Tathlum put you @20.1 so you might have to eat Carbonara depending if you use VV atma. Possibly Carbonara & Tactical outside Abyssea, but haven't looked.

Edit: Definitely Atheling Mantle for WS.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-28 18:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ryukuro said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

Wasn't what I was asking lol

Maybe it should be lol

ps: hi

and, if you're even too lazy to merely use that calculator and put the appropriate gear in accordingly, tah-***-dah

mind you though, i've also got another atma combination, that being rr/griffonclaw/apoc, which tbh i prefer over vv/rr/sq these days for what i do, but both are workable
 Valefor.Ryukuro
By Valefor.Ryukuro 2011-02-28 18:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
Dusk Gloves, Hoard Ring and White Tathlum put you @20.1 so you might have to eat Carbonara depending if you use VV atma. Possibly Carbonara & Tactical outside Abyssea, but haven't looked.

Edit: Definitely Atheling Mantle for WS.

Soooooo +33 STP will put me at 20.1?

What about WS phase? without VV would fail right..?