What Should I Get Next? Help Me Be A Better BLM!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » What Should I Get Next? Help me be a better BLM!
What Should I Get Next? Help me be a better BLM!
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Alexander.Temaruma
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-07-15 22:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Habs said:
Leviathan.Jekyll said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Bahamut.Habs said:
im offering advice from someone that uses it over thier relic body.
That right there is enough to completely invalidate anything useful you may have said. Any BLM nuking in AF2 body should be hung, drawn, quartered, fed poison then shot. Get rid of that waste of a cloak; use Weskit Demon's Helm or something to nuke in and use a Black Cloak to idle in.
Best FYI in this whole thread.
huh i didnt say i nuked in the af2 body ,wtf you guys talking about?i said i use the ixion over the relic body for refresh,and sometimes nuke in the ixion since i have it on .not the relic body.
i do not like or use the sorcs ring.yes its mab is nice,but early on as rdm i didnt like half dead blm running about not wanting to be healed and would get 1 shotted.

as for selling the cloak...since i dont have a sorsc ring and dont want 1. hp regain isnt an option that even concerns me.as for the weskit and demons helm...how about i use the teal hat instead of the demons and teal/ixion instead of weskit/relic.and not lose 3 million i paid for the ixion and spend mayb a hunderd k on a full teal set...

Don't give advice please :(
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-07-15 22:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Temaruma said:
Bahamut.Habs said:
Leviathan.Jekyll said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Bahamut.Habs said:
That right there is enough to completely invalidate anything useful you may have said. Any BLM nuking in AF2 body should be hung, drawn, quartered, fed poison then shot. Get rid of that waste of a cloak; use Weskit Demon's Helm or something to nuke in and use a Black Cloak to idle in.
huh i didnt say i nuked in the af2 body ,wtf you guys talking about?i said i use the ixion over the relic body for refresh,and sometimes nuke in the ixion since i have it on .not the relic body.
i do not like or use the sorcs ring.yes its mab is nice,but early on as rdm i didnt like half dead blm running about not wanting to be healed and would get 1 shotted.

as for selling the cloak...since i dont have a sorsc ring and dont want 1. hp regain isnt an option that even concerns me.as for the weskit and demons helm...how about i use the teal hat instead of the demons and teal/ixion instead of weskit/relic.and not lose 3 million i paid for the ixion and spend mayb a hunderd k on a full teal set...

Don't give advice please :(

lololol. Nuke in ixion and purposely dont use sorc? I mean if it's a money issue ok on the sorc but jesus... weskit is 20k, teal is free.....

Valefor.Neokenesis
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Neokenesis 2010-07-15 23:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Habs said:
Leviathan.Jekyll said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Bahamut.Habs said:

Well I really don't the half dead blm. Should only be 76% dead w/o convert hp>mp gear. If u use zenith mitts, Macc grips, ixions mantle then a blm can get sorc. ring to proc at about 83% HP depending on race.

This is what I use to nuke full attack

Its not the best but I get high numbers, white hp, and little resist.

Gilgamesh.Funsam
Server: Gilgamesh
user: funsam
By Gilgamesh.Funsam 2010-07-15 23:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure if its been mentioned but magian trial matt+4 macc+1 staves are pretty impressive & potential of further upgrade means a lot of people will be saying goodbye to hq staves soon.
its a lot of hard work to do them, but costs nothing but patience & commitment.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-16 13:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If your BLMs are getting one shot, they should recheck their priorities as a magic damage dealer. One, they should not be grabbing hate. Two, if they are grabbing hate, they should have an insurance policy.

Here's my personal insurance policy:

ASA Legs augmented with PDT-4%/Movement Speed+8%.

Also, Phalanx with enhancing magic skill gear to hit the highest achievable number as /rdm, and a 380 stoneskin are easily attained nowadays. You must just have shitty BLMs.

I know not everybody can put in the time to get a stone gorget (not that it's very hard currently since the caps been removed), but PDT is easy.

Jelly Ring, Earth Staff, Cheviot Cape are all easy to get, as well as Black Cloak for refresh. Jelly Ring NM can be soloed. The campaign ring isn't too hard to get either. The regen neckpiece is just me personally since it doesn't mess up my sorc proc, as I use windower. Obviously if it were anyone else they probably wouldn't want it in there for that reason. Also, sorcerer's earring costs 5k.

2 cents. /
 Asura.Nevias
Server: Asura
user: Nevias
By Asura.Nevias 2010-07-17 16:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

wow, I must say that most of you really suck at giving proper blackmage advise!!, use this, don't use that etc, that's the least of his problems!. First of all you say that you solo for the most part. In your case a strong enfeebling set is your best option, keep in mind that it doesn't matter how fast you kill something as long as you can kill it. your main focus needs to be making sure your enfeebles stick. if you can grav, bind, sleep enemies easily, then you can kill just about anything even with a weak nuking set. It just takes a little longer. you also need to study the job and practice.

Important points to remember:

*fast cast is calculated before anything else, so you can start a cast with some fast cast gear and switch to your nuke/enfeeble setup after your casting starts and get both effects from one slot.

*sleep unresisted will last for 30 game minutes, sleep can also be overwritten by sleep 2

*sleep 2 unresisted will last for 37 game minutes, and cannot be overwritten

keep this in mind and you can easily maximize your resting time. As long as your enfeebling magic is high enough it should be fairly reliable. Always try to use sleep 1 when possible because it costs less mp and casting time is lower. time your sleeps and overwrite them with sleep 2, when your sleep 2 is about to wear cast a bind if you need more time. then you can sleep him again and start the process all over.

your on the right track with your sets although they do need some work, this will come in time and I'm sure you have a good idea where to start. Start off with your enfeebling magic gear and merits then work on your nuke setup and other gear.
 Sylph.Ashaaman
Server: Sylph
user: Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-17 16:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nevias said:
wow, I must say that most of you really suck at giving proper blackmage advise!!, use this, don't use that etc, that's the least of his problems!. First of all you say that you solo for the most part. In your case a strong enfeebling set is your best option, keep in mind that it doesn't matter how fast you kill something as long as you can kill it. your main focus needs to be making sure your enfeebles stick. if you can grav, bind, sleep enemies easily, then you can kill just about anything even with a weak nuking set. It just takes a little longer. you also need to study the job and practice.

Important points to remember:

*fast cast is calculated before anything else, so you can start a cast with some fast cast gear and switch to your nuke/enfeeble setup after your casting starts and get both effects from one slot.

*sleep unresisted will last for 30 game minutes, sleep can also be overwritten by sleep 2

*sleep 2 unresisted will last for 37 game minutes, and cannot be overwritten

keep this in mind and you can easily maximize your resting time. As long as your enfeebling magic is high enough it should be fairly reliable. Always try to use sleep 1 when possible because it costs less mp and casting time is lower. time your sleeps and overwrite them with sleep 2, when your sleep 2 is about to wear cast a bind if you need more time. then you can sleep him again and start the process all over.

your on the right track with your sets although they do need some work, this will come in time and I'm sure you have a good idea where to start. Start off with your enfeebling magic gear and merits then work on your nuke setup and other gear.

also stick with avocate feet over the goliard feet, even tho everyone seems to think that goliard are better because they do have a slight bit more accuracy however, a higher enfeebling magic skill will lower your interuption rate which is much more important when your trying to get that ever so important sleep off.

This advice is all good and well... But if you can't damage something, enfeebling it to hell does no good either... You need a balance. Yes, enfeebling is important, and with it you can live longer, but if you don't have the damage to back it... Living longer does what?

Also, what the hell are you talking about at the end there... 3 enfeebling isn't going to help with interruptions much if any, the goli will always win. If you need 3 more skill to hope for a non-interrupt, then you're play BLM all wrong.

Disclaimer: Yes, ***does happen, but you should never have to rely on luck to solo something, if you are, plan some more first.
 Asura.Luelle
user: Luelle
By Asura.Luelle 2010-07-17 16:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

"Enfeebling Magic skill is the skill base from which Enfeebling Magic derives. It is most synonymous and most importantly relational to the resistance rate of all attack spells therein. In short, Enfeebling Magic Skill is the largest factor which determines if an Enfeebling Magic Spell is resisted or not. The skill also helps defend against spell interruptions for any spells in its category."

He wasn't talking about the rate of resists. He was talking about the fact that with a higher enfeebling skill, your sleeps are less likely to be interrupted, allowing you to get your sleeps off better in those situations where either you sleep the mob or die XD
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-17 16:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Luelle said:
"Enfeebling Magic skill is the skill base from which Enfeebling Magic derives. It is most synonymous and most importantly relational to the resistance rate of all attack spells therein. In short, Enfeebling Magic Skill is the largest factor which determines if an Enfeebling Magic Spell is resisted or not. The skill also helps defend against spell interruptions for any spells in its category."

He wasn't talking about the rate of resists. He was talking about the fact that with a higher enfeebling skill, your sleeps are less likely to be interrupted, allowing you to get your sleeps off better in those situations where either you sleep the mob or die XD

Yeah, I know what he meant, I typo'd, I meant interrupt rate.
Asura.Nevias said:
well if that's your logic that 3 enfeebling magic does nothing then I guess you may as well not use any enfeebling magic gear, oracles gloves are only 5 enfeebling skill, so I guess just toss them in the garbage cause they do you no good, enfeebling earring with only 3 skill goes for 1m+ I guess that's just cause it's hard to get and not cause it's a usefull item. the point is it all adds up.

The point of the matter is, in the other places, you can't put better pieces... Which isn't so with your feet. Sure, 3 enfeebling is good... But DEX+4 INT+4 MND+4 CHR+4 Evasion+5 MP recovered while healing +3 Magic Accuracy+2 is better.
 Asura.Luelle
user: Luelle
By Asura.Luelle 2010-07-17 16:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't think you get his reasoning for enfeebling skill over magic accuracy. Enfeebling skill will lessen the interruption rate, which is key for soloing...because well you can only depend on yourself to sleep. Magic Accuracy will help with resists solely. I'd personally want something that will help with resists and spell interruption rate down in a solo situation.
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-17 16:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, it's a toss up, I've never seen Enfeebling magic really make a difference on interrupts, but then again, that's why we have bind, gravity, and stun.

Maybe enfeebling will help, but unless someone can show physical numbers showing that enfeebling gives a decent margin of spell interrupt, I'm still saying goliard is better.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Tempelshine 2010-07-17 17:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Enf. Earring is that much, cause you can only get mnd or int +2 (ok or +3 on much expensiver earrings, like celestrial) on ear, and Enf +3 is def. better as mnd or int +2.

MND or INT +2 against enf +3 (enf +3 better)

And to wear enf. skill +3 on feet is just stupid if you have goliard.

INT,MND +4 Macc 2 against enf +3. (INT,MND +4 Macc +2 better)

And Enf. skill lowers Spell interupt? wut! Dont think so.
Think MND is the Mod for Spell interrupt but not sure yet.
 Asura.Nevias
user: Nevias
By Asura.Nevias 2010-07-17 18:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

oh and if your wondering what I use

enfeebling set

nuke set

hmp

I do have multiple other sets as well just posting these 3 tho. and yes I do know I would be better off with an int earring on my enfeeble setup however the loq earring is there to lower my mp drop on my enfeebling set. and if your wondering my cortege cape has hmp+2 on it.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-07-17 18:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Luelle said:
I still don't think you get his reasoning for enfeebling skill over magic accuracy. Enfeebling skill will lessen the interruption rate, which is key for soloing...because well you can only depend on yourself to sleep. Magic Accuracy will help with resists solely. I'd personally want something that will help with resists and spell interruption rate down in a solo situation.

Are you high?
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-17 18:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nevias said:
just a piece of information since you clearly don't know all that much about this game. when it comes to magic, your skill directly effects you interuption rate weather it be elemental magic, enhancing magic or enfeebling magic. also skill lowers resist rate, where as magic accuracy improves your accuracy there is actually a difference between the 2. on a lower level mob yes accuracy is by far a better investment however on a higher level mob skill will always take priority. also skill will always give you accuracy so you are actually in fact getting some magic accuracy as well as lowered resist rates on your resists and a lowered spell interupt rate.

quote from wiki (not that you should believe everything on wiki)
"Enfeebling Magic Skill is the largest factor which determines if an Enfeebling Magic Spell is resisted or not. The skill also helps defend against spell interruptions for any spells in its category."

You can all question this all you want and believe what you are told like the good little sheep that you are. Just keep following the herd.

learn how to play the job and how your spells work then come back and talk ***!

My question to you, is how often do you need to rely on skill to avoid interrupts... I mean, I don't know about you, and granted I have Herald's Gaiters so I have a bit more mobility, but I have stoneskin, blink, phalanx, utsu(if /nin), aquaveil, etc up while I'm soloing. Plus the mob is usually gravity and/or bindable... So you're telling me to learn how to play the game, but you're going around casting unbuffed on mobs that apparently can't be debuffed... So, maybe you should think about what you say first.

I still stand by my goliard statement.
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-17 18:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Another, good, thread turned into the Special Olympics.
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-17 18:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to argue w/ someone who knows nothing about me. So the moral of the story is this:

Goliard are better for actually landing things.

Pigaches are better for apparently not getting interrupted.(Not my words, nor do I believe it)
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-17 19:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, +3 to any skill will have just above 0 impact on your interupt rate assuming the mob you're fighting is a higher level than you (likely). Even at 80 your /Ninjutsu skill is still low enough for level 30-40 mobs to interupt you. 3 skill at 80 vs a mob 85 or higher will have next to no impact. Goliard >
By Antisense 2010-07-17 19:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything anything remotely difficult surely can be bound, slept, or is susceptible to gravity. And consequences of level difference ("correction") don't exist anymore so concern about spell interruption is actually meaningful. Elite players always think of duration of spells in game minutes, too.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-07-17 19:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ummm if we're worried about interrupt, why not have Aquaveil up at all times? The June update been changed how it works to guarantee no interrupt. Granted it's only a set number of times, but still!

Do that and lookie there... no need to worry about needing +3 skill feet to prevent an interrupt.

I had avocat feet once, and I trashed them. Goli FTW and my enfeeb set is almost a carbon copy of Nev's only I prefer witch sash over sorc belt...
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-17 19:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nevias said:
for solo'n and xp'n on high lvl blm you CANNOT do it on low level mobs therefore the avocate will be more advantageous than the goliard will.

One, learn english please.

Two, there is no situation that Avocat's 3 skill will trump 4 stat and 2 m.acc.
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-17 19:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You could go ahead and expand on that thought? Or you could just sit back and watch people continue to prove you wrong... Where do I fail? Where is skill > INT + M.Acc? Especially since 1 skill = 1 M.Acc so you basically have 3 skill vs 2 skill and 4 int/mnd...