Common Courtesy
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 09:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It is racism, because he's specifying that it's only a specific country that are acting in the inappropriate manner implied. Call it "segregationist" if you want, but that's racism.

It's the exact same way the whole Japanese culture looks down on English players and presumes everyone of them are loudmouth, arrogant people with lacks of skill and gameplay.

Smurfo said:
people of country of a majority Caucasian population that thinks they are better than NA's which is the case in some situations.

So because it's true, it's not racist, or something? I think I'm missing the point here; you seem to think it's not racism, yet you just said the exact same thing yourself?

It's people like you that made the Japanese hate us in the first place.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-05 09:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If courtesy is getting obliterated all because SE is changing its rules on how farming is and experience points are concerned, then I believe we have an issue here, obviously speaking. ( Yes I know we have an issue, i'm just saying...)

I do not have the universal cure ( Wish I did ) to this mean bru-ha-ish behavior.. but cmon folks, let's all "try to live in Harmony."

Pls watch this link.. 1970's.. and yes I'm old skool but it prooves media works.. watch and give me your thoughts..
and no, I don't have enought coke for all of ya... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU

(little note: Racists?? Look at this video.. see all the nations here??)

I just think that alot of the younger kids have lost the old adage.. Peace, love, harmony, repect, and care due diligence!!

No i'm not a hippy either!!!
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-05 09:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, just wanting to clarify, since it seems to be a bit vague. Majority Caucasian population... other than NA that'd technically be the UK? As Shayala said I wasn;t aware that the British had a penchant for discourtesy? If anything I though were were rather unrepresented with regards to our proportion of the FFXI population.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-01-05 09:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

lol@cocacola ad.

nothing like good ol'fashioned large scale commercial advertising advocating racial harmony. at least you know they're doing it for the right reasons.../rolleyes
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-05 09:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Jimmyjazz said:
lol@cocacola ad. nothing like good ol'fashioned large scale commercial advertising advocating racial harmony. at least you know they're doing it for the right reasons.../rolleyes

just get these ppl playing FFXI, would it be such a good idea to get a bunch of 60- 70 year olds to spread the love and joy now??? rofl
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-01-05 10:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
It is racism, because he's specifying that it's only a specific country that are acting in the inappropriate manner implied. Call it "segregationist" if you want, but that's racism.

then i'm racist....because i make fun of americans?

but seriously, we (as in the world) should get up every day and dance. dance like Tommy Seebach. this alone would end all wars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFGzGfym-7Y
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-05 10:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Mithano said:
I suspect age has a lot to do with it. I started my own endgame linkshell recently, with only two real rules. Have to read ls forums, and have to be over 18. You'd be amazed at the drama that I was able to cut out by doing that. I've already had a handful of situations that easily could have gone bad, but instead, people just went "Ok, no worries, we'll do better next time!" Yes, there are people under 18 that are fine, and people over 18 that aren't, but you'd be amazed how much that line separates.

So, how do you know this or that person is a certain age? just by asking them?
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-05 10:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Onepenny said:
My server is invaded by players from a certain country (not going to say the country, cause it would sound bad doing it, not everyone is the same, we know) and most of them are dumb arrogant... (this is me silencing myself) that dont respect anyone.
That's racism you know. Same way Japanese players always go "JP ONRY!".

are you kinding me???

didnt you read???

"(not going to say the country, cause it would sound bad doing it, not everyone is the same, we know)"

I think its clear i'm saying that not everyone from a country (any country) is the same... every country has very diferent kinds of ppl... hell i'm portuguese and in my server portuguese ppl dont get along very well... so am i racist against my country for saying this

the only thing im saying (and ill keep not saying the country) is that ppl from several countries and even their own country admit they are like that

we all have good and bad in us... or, if u like, we all have things that are compantible or not compatible to someone else

guess we can see that clearly, here i am doing a thread about common courtesy cause im full of ideals and end up beeing tagged as racist.
and i was just writing today how i was uninvited from a pt cause i answered in autotranslate and i think ppl tought i was jap

-btw kinda off topic but ill put here, if u want to have a pt with you and full of japs you just need to get one... then ask him to talk to the players you need

i once got a no from 3 jap players just to have them (in the end) in my pt invited by the jap that said yes ^^

@Apelila

I think one thing I havent seen ppl talk about is, how many ppl acctually buy accounts. Cause i think thats one of the big "WTF whatever" problems.

Not only ppl getting pl to HL but much more ppl 75 that have litle to none experience playing the game

edited: just to separete sentences a bit
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-01-05 11:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
My server is invaded by players from a certain country (not going to say the country, cause it would sound bad doing it, not everyone is the same, we know) and most of them are dumb arrogant... (this is me silencing myself) that dont respect anyone.

I think the word 'invade' is the one that I find quite offensive in your post,especially as it is becoming increasingly obvious that you seem to be referring to British players.
I know the UK has a bad image due to football hooligans and the Brits abroad thing,but please don't think we are all like that.Those people are the dregs of society and are also the minority.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-05 11:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

no, im not talking about british players, and it does not mater the country... ppl should just try to respect others (and sorry if i didnt do that in any of this posts)

i have a few english players in my FL and the ones i knew in-game are quite nice (btw in real life i deal with british ppl all the time and, like any other country, i like most of them and dislike a few)

-i said "invaded" as in "alot of new players got in recently" the same i say about farming at jap prime time, its invaded by jap players... nothing offensive (i hope) just saying there are so many and there is nothing you can do about it

anyway, i'm sorry if i offended anyone with that word, really didnt think on how offensive it could be for some ppl...

but i guess so would be my 1st post, as related to WoW players. maybe its impossible not to offend someone somehow ;)
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-01-05 13:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
maybe its impossible not to offend someone somehow ;)

QFT
 Carbuncle.Bombard
user: bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2009-01-05 13:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone's E-butt hurts. If it bothers you that much, don't play the F'in game, or change who you play with.

As Onepenny stated, anyone can find offense in something if they try hard enough. Grow up. Tired of whiners who can't cope with RL gotta whine all up on the internet like people care, while they let their RL problems fester. Good call.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 13:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bombard is a tough guy <3

Took to page 3 for the "Real life" card to be played :)
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-05 15:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Because of my time-zone (-5) and the fact I like to play at night, I often start a party with English people and by the time I feel like going to sleep, I end up being surrounded by Japanese, sometimes (if I'm lucky) with just one english member left other than myself, who's barely managing to stay awake! XD I don't think they feel annoyed that I am leading the PT and I've never seen one leave out of despise for being in a Japanese-only party with an English speaking leader. I think most cultures have their general flaws, and those lead to racial stereotypes that racist people take way to seriously. Also, because some cultures tend to hang only together and stay homogeneous due to various factors, it is only normal that people from a specific ethnicity will have the same qualities and annoyances (in a very general kind of way, unless it's a very tiny country).

Once, I recall being with 5 japanese, and one was a PLD who seriously didn't understand his job. After an hour of giving him chances, I ended up being "forced" to kick him and replace him with another tank (who was of course, also Japanese). Well I could feel they were pissed off, because Japanese tend to stand with each others. However, I did my best to explain why I was kicking him, yes... with auto-translate. ex: (front-line job) = (defense bonus) (evasion bonus) (vitality bonus) (gear) seriously the guy had NO idea what he was doing, he wasn't even voking... Well, the party stuck with me, and let the guy leave... and we lasted for a few hours more... which surprised me a lot, because I realize I was going to piss them off for being so arrogant to the proud nation of Japan... :P

I've even done some Windurst missions (rank 8-9-10 the one in Castle Oztroja being the one I remember the most, trying to get past some true-sight NMs ended up being quite stressful after one of us died and we had to raise him without being seen) with just JP players, it was challenging at times, but I had a LOT of fun doing it for this exact same reason :D

Getting non-English people to trust you means getting better at using auto-translate, and you won't have a hard time finding a party, making it work, no matter what language everyone in it speaks. Just learn to use the tools properly, and people will trust you. Quickly enough to get a working pt going.

As someone said earlier (I can't find the post anymore to quote it sorry >.<) getting ONE open-minded Japanese in your pt is usually the "secret" to building a PT with other Japanese players who would have otherwise said no.

The truth is they aren't really racist, they are just afraid that if you can't get to understand each others, it won't work.
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2009-01-05 15:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Bombard is a tough guy &lt;3

Took to page 3 for the "Real life" card to be played :)

Because it's true, lol.

oops, RL card was played on page one, so it was open game :P

Quote:
Common Courtesy doesn't exsist in FFXI there never will be it's just a bunch of angry nerds who are mad at life cause they can't get pussy so they take it out on noobs and think there king when really there probably hella fat stinky and work at mcdonalds only to fund there gil buying lol
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-05 16:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:

It's the exact same way the whole Japanese culture looks down on English players and presumes everyone of them are loudmouth, arrogant people with lacks of skill and gameplay.

Smurfo said:
people of country of a majority Caucasian population that thinks they are better than NA's which is the case in some situations.

So because it's true, it's not racist, or something? I think I'm missing the point here; you seem to think it's not racism, yet you just said the exact same thing yourself?

It's people like you that made the Japanese hate us in the first place.

Hi dipshit let me give you a quick vocabulary lesson since you obviously lack. I wouldnt normally drill someone like this but you insulted me and quite frankly you are an idiot.

race 1
n.
1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.
5. Biology
a. An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.
b. A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
6. A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.

rac·ism
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

na·tion·al·ism
n.
1. Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.

seg·re·ga·tion
n.
1. The act or process of segregating or the condition of being segregated.

As you can plainly see if you possess an IQ greater than a gnat, Race means a line of genealogy in most cases humans beings of different physical appearances i.e. slanty eyes, colored skin, white skin red hair, you name it.

Nowhere did he ever post any kind of remark that even REMOTELY described a race, any kind of racist remarks or anything of that nature. He described a country which is why i chose the term nationalist. Segregation does not = racism, you can segregate anything, a box of crayons for example it just means seperation, by people withdrawling from others that are of a different "kind" than them, they are segregating themselves.

Those two words describes the situation he posed much more accurately than the ever too common label of "racist"

How our modern society has evolved "racism" from being those guys in little pointy hats into everything you say can be labeled racist is beyond me. It's poor teachers and uneducated twits like you who help to fuel it's ever evolving, all encompassing connotation.

Anyway on that note, by the new widespread but unofficial definition of racist everybody is racist to some extent at some time, I think it far greater a crime to act upon it than to misunderstand other races. Society is seriously devolving when people are just itching to fight over HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***like this.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 16:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

lol :)

On to name calling and Wikipedia and/or Dictionary.com cut and pasting? Yes, your point bubbles with integrity. Now move onto my personal life and you've as good as won the internet.

Keep it up e-thug!

/panic

Anyone wondering if there is any common courtesy, it's people like Smurfo there who're making it bad for the rest of us. People who, rather than elaborate on their points and potentially change the views of others through concise and articulate conversation, resort to insults, patronisation and intimidation (though in this example, none of the latter from Smurfo).

Feel free to educate me to the point you're making, as I previously said, perhaps I misread something? But alas, it's easier for you to be rude and put themselves onto a metaphorical pedestal than to actually embrace their peers in discussion.

That is actually the integral point of this discussion. It's our human nature to attempt to better ourselves over our peers, whoever they might be and wherever they come from. Smurfo's post more than summarised that point; an unprovoked string of rubbish and gibberish in an attempt to belittle his peer (me) and make themselves look better in the process.

Try a little harder Smurfo. Nobody made this personal except you now, and everyone reading your previous post will see that for themselves. I'm not going to insult you back or lower myself to your level, however, so go pick a fight with somebody else.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-05 16:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Words evolve. sometimes they're overused and they lose or change meaning... dictionaries can help, but eventually, it's the meaning people as a whole give to words that really determine their meaning (the dictionary is there to indicate the meaning chosen by a majority of people, rather than dictate what meaning we should give to it).

It sucks when people fight over the meaning of the word racism rather than the actual issue of racism indeed... lol
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-05 16:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

No, i'm done. I rest my case, you may not be above smack talking on the internet but i would rather not, i have other hobbies... and I'm going to take a nap, work was tiring today.

You insulted me so of course i had to own you. At least you lose with style rather than continuing to retort with more nonsensical gibberish when you were clearly wrong.

Have a nice day.

Yah i guess you couldnt just have left that post unedited, winner. You did insult me first so whatever you're trying to accomplish all this talk of me slandering you it's only making you look hypocritical, grow up some. You can't insult people and then cry when they fire back. Now bye.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 16:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

My point in casing, this was never about "winning", it was about educating one another on each other's points of view. Clearly, though, assuming you would make the attempt to convince others of your opinion was too much to ask of you. Enjoy your victory, I'll delivery box you a bottle of bubbly to crack open. You've earnt it!

Edit: This wasn't a fight, it was a discussion. I see pages and pages of people discussing the point of common courtesy, and to a lesser extent, racism. Then Smurfo steps in and claims his victory, and thus it evolves into dissent.
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2009-01-05 16:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleeding hearts are usually very stubborn Smurfo, you're just ramming your head into the wall thinking you're going to get your point across. Welcome to Generation Next. May God have mercy on all of us realists' souls. Gotta love Holier than thou mentalities :D

btw, you can't educate those whom wish not to be educated.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-05 16:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You're so full of yourself, this one simple line completely contradicts any point you're trying to make and it's your own words, not mine so eat them:

"It's people like you that made the Japanese hate us in the first place."

I was never rude at all until you attacked me personally.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 16:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you denying that though? That's not necessarily a personal attack; moreover, it's an observation based on the comments you'd made in a previous post. I agree, it's a pretty steep assumption, but you're yet to deny or argue against that statement.

Anyways, weren't you taking a nap?
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2009-01-05 16:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ffxi does need better PvP for times like this lol.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 16:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I complete agree xD

No way to vent frustration on other players asides from arguing with them ;;
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-05 17:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The bitter irony is in your bleeding heart statement, not only was it a direct attack on me but it proved you to be a hypocrite :

"It's people like you that made the Japanese hate us in the first place."

This by your prior definitions makes you racist, i can break it down for you because i'm familiar with your connotation of it as you self-defined it in a previous post.

You are presuming that ALL japanese players hate english players, by your own view on it previously this IS a racist statement as you are generalizing an entire nation's population's views and we all know that nation = race and race = racism!!

Hi, welcome to the "racists" club, you are not any different.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 17:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess my bottle of bubbly didn't get through to you. I sent it to "Smurfo", but I guess the Moogles can't send across servers yet.

I'm so sorry Smurfo ;;

(I do like your wordplay by the way, it's pretty neat. You should write a novel or something!)
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-05 17:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, I've been down this road before, and I dealt with this differently...

Take this elsewhere, allright? This is no the place for this. Take it to private messages plz!

Thanks guys! and try to get along.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.