Whats A Good Ah Job?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Whats a good ah job?
Whats a good ah job?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fairy.Shiyo
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Shiyo
By Fairy.Shiyo 2010-03-03 15:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

KCLUB RANGER

WOW I posted that before your post existed for me vegetto...
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-03 15:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Great minds think alike.
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-03-03 16:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The relic marksmanship WS is also heavily DEX & AGI modified if I recall correctly.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-03-03 16:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn you got my hopes up..
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-03-03 16:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
The relic marksmanship WS is also heavily DEX & AGI modified if I recall correctly.

Coronach
Modifiers: DEX:40% ; AGI:40%
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-03-03 16:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

40% is pretty significant. But alas, I'm sure STR goes into the matter more so than secondary mods.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-03 16:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Secondary mods do the exact same thing as primary btw. Not saying it's better than str, just saying no reason to specifically mention secondary mod, when it's no diff from primary.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-03-03 16:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I am unfamiliar to the function and calculation of all this stuff, I just know that STR tends to win due to it being measured directly against mob VIT while secondary mods do not.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-03 16:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not really it. If it were Fstr1 for example, 40% mod would easily beat str in a 1 to 1 ratio, but since since it's fstr 2, counts for more (takes 2 str to raise base DMG by 1, where as w/ melee weapons it takes 4 str to raise DMG by 1)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-03 16:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
I am unfamiliar to the function and calculation of all this stuff, I just know that STR tends to win due to it being measured directly against mob VIT while secondary mods do not.
That's sort of it. STR is essentially a 25% mod for melee (50% for ranged) that isn't reduced via alpha.
By Neojuggernaut 2010-03-03 16:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

/point Black Mage

Main: HQ Staves :Q_____
Sub: Elemental Grips
Ammo: Phantom Tathlum
Head: Demon Helm +1, lolElite Beret
Neck: Elemental Torque
Ears: does Novio Count? >.> Morion Ear+1 x2 :P
Body: Genie Weskit...saw a +6 INT augment...haaawt
Hands: Hmmm...someone help me
Rings: x2 Snow Ring
Back: Ixion Cape or Prism Cape :P
Waist: Witch Sash or Peni Rope
Legs: Mahatma or Jet Serawels
Footsies: RSE depending on race so...sorry if you're taru ;;

If I saw a dude wear most of that, two thoughts would run in my mind >.>...but imo respectable :P
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-03 16:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Chomp chomp 0.83 chomp chomp 25/0.83 = 30 chomp chomp 50/0.83 = 60 chomp chomp (chomp) chomp.

Replace chomp with real sentences because I'm tired as hell and can't be bothered typing much :( the info is in there though.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-03 16:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Hands: Vicious Mufflers/Wizard's Gloves as appropriate. SOL on Dark Magic hands (since AF2 is the only option), use Genie Gages for hMP, uh... MC Bracelets for Enfeebling? >_>;

EDIT: I don't think Novio counts, but Moldavite or better yet the Helenus'/Cassandra's Earring set would.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-03-03 16:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, quote button isn't working, but either way it looks like I have alot of reading to do to catch up on how weapon skills are calculated and what stats are most effective for each one D:
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-03 16:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Strictly speaking on per-point damage increase,

Melee: if mod value > 30%, then mod > str
Ranged: if mod value > 60%, then mod > str (does not occur)

EDIT: To clarify, STR on Melee is worth ~30% and STR on Ranged is worth ~60% purely from fSTR(2) contributions. If there is a STR mod on the weaponskill itself then this is also calculated (they don't simply add, but you can do so as an approximated basis for comparison).

Then you have to note side benefits like Attack from STR (significant with high numbers of STR), Accuracy from DEX and also Critical Hit Rate on certain WS.

STR contribution from fSTR(2) can also cap particularly if you're using a low DMG weapon.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-03-03 16:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically ranged weapons seem to gobble up the benefits of STR significantly more than melee weapons do. Also lower dmg weapons since it takes less STR to meet the dmg ratio? Something like that?

/confuses self.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-03 16:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

fSTR has a cap which is determined by the base damage of the weapon, so the higher the base damage, the higher the cap and so the higher the point at which you will lose this 30/60% contribution from STR, if that makes sense. I'm tired as hell so my explanation skills likely leave a lot to be desired.

Then it simply becomes a game of "is x > y?", aside from the other considerations mentioned above.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-03-03 16:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I see, so the higher the DMG, the higher the cap and maintained benefit of STR. Going over would just go to waste, hence why 2 handers tend to stack it heavy more so than one handers.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-03 16:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much! THF is the main example I always think about when considering this since Hecatomb gear has a LOT of STR on it and Dagger fSTR cap is very low: another reason why DEX>STR on DE. You'll probably hit the fSTR cap or damn close to just with the relevant pieces of Hecatomb on.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-03-03 16:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bard is my favorite job, and I do feel it's a decent AH-only job *if backed-up with magic merits*.

+49 is needed to get March2 to 11% haste. capped merits is +32 skill, the other 17 is easily gained from the following items:

choral cuffs (+5)
chanter's staff (+4)
nereid ring x2 (+6)
singing earring (+3)

With capped magic merits, a bard's gear doesn't need to be stellar to stick songs. In fact, I personally cast all my debuffs w/ walahra and sha'ir gages. I'm kicking mysel for missing the Sheikh Gages that were up a few weeks ago. They'll be up again.
By Neojuggernaut 2010-03-03 18:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Non AH user friendly jobs >.> :
PALADIN!!! Well, to an extent, I think paladin can acquire some very excellent accessory pieces from the AH, but for visible gear, paladin kind of gets the shaft.

Good AH Stuffs: Macua+1, Koenig/Kaiser/Terror Shields, Lamia Kaman/+1, Rosenbogen, Harmonia's Torque (Enm onry), Hades Earrings (White or Blue Box), Cassie Earring, Buckler Earring, Merman Earrings, Hercules Ring, Merman Rings, Lamia Mantle/+1, Gigant Mantle, Trance/Warwolf Belts

Notice...no head/body/hand/leg/feet suggestions but this is subject to my opinion :P
 Hades.Amnesia
Server: Hades
user: Wishkah
By Hades.Amnesia 2010-03-03 18:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

My money would be on BLM if your not intending on doing end game as you can reach high levels of Elemental skill & INT already (Presuming you include rare/ex such as Wizard's Gloves)

This is achievable for about 5m on my server, and I have included Moldavite Earring as that's easy to obtain >.>

Elemental skill is 303 if you have 8/8 merits into it and that's w/o AF hands or Elemental torque & about 110 INT if using cream puff, which is more than enough for your non end game needs bar a rare situation.

If money is no object then...

I'd be happy with this anyway!

This is just my opinion of course, completely bias as I only play 2 jobs and SAM definitely isn't the best AH job.
 Lakshmi.Thacaptain
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Thacaptain 2010-03-03 20:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't post here often but I have an AH THF. I do know there are lots of end game gears that are nice for it but I don't have any end game shells. I have an EVA, SA, TA, and haste TP gear set. All of which I have got from either camping a NM or buying from AH. I'll give an example of one of the sets (if I can remember everything correctly)

EVA set
dagger: azoth/blau
xbow: lion xbow/acid/sleep/bloody bolts
head: emperor hairpin (can be bought or camped) (or Ohat)
neck: evasion torque
earrings: velocity/dodge earrings
body: scorpion harness
hands: war gloves
rings: garilous/ecphoria ring (skogs fru NM)
back: amemet +1
belt: scouters belt
legs: jaridah (pants)
feet: dancers' feet

you can also buy a decent haste set
dusk gloves/feet, headlong belt, bravo subligar.
walahra turban isn't nesicarily end game gear but can be done and same with rapparee harness. you could also look for help with swift belt or camp KA for velocity belt