Forum » FFXI » General » Petition for a new tank job
Petition for a new tank job
First Page 2 3 4
 Unicorn.Ducea
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
By Unicorn.Ducea 2010-02-26 15:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I just thought maybe if enough people voice that we need a new tank job introduced it could happen by the time xiv comes out. I think it would make partying much easier, people would play tank jobs again, pre end game
[+]
 Ramuh.Herrmann
Server: Ramuh
user: Herrmann
By Ramuh.Herrmann 2010-02-26 15:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem isn't that there are no tank jobs. Its the way people play. People think all the way to 75 that without a PLD or NIN they cannot function. The best parties i've ever had were against VT's without any tanks.

As for endgame, it has been shown that pld, nin, rdm, and even other jobs can function as a tank. I've had WAR's tank in dynamis and kite kirin, and practically anyone with shadows and enough hate behind them can tank.

There's nothing wrong with the jobs in the game, its how people use them.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-26 15:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

With the game the way it is at the moment, you won't see another job added. Best you can hope for is they give something to another job that makes it a bit better at tanking. WAR MNK SAM were all meant to be somewhat of tanking jobs. If they added a few tweaks, abilities or gear they still could be tanking jobs.
 Asura.Kiowa
Server: Asura
user: Kiowa
By Asura.Kiowa 2010-02-26 15:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

VIKING
VIKING
VIKING
QUIT *** AROUND
tired of se adding nothing but leather and lace
want some metal
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-26 15:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, not for pre-endgame. But for endgame, definitely.

A lot of players only see PLD and NIN as viable tanks in EXP parties, but there are more capable tanks, just have to "think outside the norm".

For example: When properly geared...
*A Samurai can tank very well. They hit hard, have high Parry, have Seigan+Third Eye (20 second recast with merits, if lucky it'd be up most of the time.), and have access to really good Enmity+ gear (Arhats +1, Myochin Sune-ate, Eris' Earrings +1, Namioyogi, etc.)

*A Monk can tank pretty well. They hit hard and fast, have Guard and Counter, have Max HP Boost, and have access to really good Enmity+ gear (Arhats +1, Eris' Earrings +1, etc.) and Counter+ gear (Cross-counters, Avenger Earrings, Aikido Koshita, etc.)
[+]
 Garuda.Glaciont
Server: Garuda
user: glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2010-02-26 15:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG can tank >O lol

it so could
 Remora.Ampelius
Server: Remora
user: Ampelius
By Remora.Ampelius 2010-02-26 15:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

just because other jobs could tank if your party is "thinking outside the norm" is no excuse for having too few normal tank jobs.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-26 15:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:

A lot of players only see PLD and NIN as viable tanks in EXP parties, but there are more capable tanks, just have to "think outside the norm".

*A Samurai can tank very well. They hit hard, have high Parry, have Seigan Third Eye (20 second recast with merits, if lucky it'd be up most of the time.), and have access to really good Enmity gear (Arhats 1, Myochin Sune-ate, Eris' Earrings 1, Namioyogi, etc.)

*A Monk can tank pretty well. They hit hard and fast, have Guard and Counter, have Max HP Boost, and have access to really good Enmity gear (Arhats 1, Eris' Earrings 1, etc.) and Counter gear (Cross-counters, Avenger Earrings, Aikido Koshita, etc.)

Only problem with both your examples is they'd be giving up some of their attacking power which ends up hurting their ability holding hate vs other DDs that use their full DDing gear. They'd have to have something like Provoke, Flash or cures to generate enough hate. Boost I believe generates SOME hate but not enough to actually warrant it to be useful.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-02-26 15:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Viking would be a pretty sweet class, although I always thought of BST as the viking-ish class with the axes and the helm with horns and all. I also think that historically speaking, Viking would be more of a DD class. Nonetheless, I would definitely level Viking.
[+]
 Fenrir.Vacian
Server: Fenrir
user: Vacian
By Fenrir.Vacian 2010-02-26 15:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kiowa said:
VIKING
VIKING
VIKING
QUIT *** AROUND
tired of se adding nothing but leather and lace
want some metal

\mm/

viking yes please
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-02-26 15:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Come on. They even have Chocobo Knights in Wings of the Goddess, make 'em a playable job!

A little something I worked on a while ago: FFXIclopedia Chocobo Knight
[+]
 Hades.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Hades
user: tidis
By Hades.Tidis 2010-02-26 16:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:

*A Samurai can tank very well. They hit hard, have high Parry, have Seigan Third Eye (20 second recast with merits, if lucky it'd be up most of the time.), and have access to really good Enmity gear (Arhats 1, Myochin Sune-ate, Eris' Earrings 1, Namioyogi, etc.)

*A Monk can tank pretty well. They hit hard and fast, have Guard and Counter, have Max HP Boost, and have access to really good Enmity gear (Arhats 1, Eris' Earrings 1, etc.) and Counter gear (Cross-counters, Avenger Earrings, Aikido Koshita, etc.)

Only problem with both your examples is they'd be giving up some of their attacking power which ends up hurting their ability holding hate vs other DDs that use their full DDing gear. They'd have to have something like Provoke, Flash or cures to generate enough hate. Boost I believe generates SOME hate but not enough to actually warrant it to be useful.
But at the end of it all, even if that SAM has to sacrifice a bit of attacking power to tank, if they can do it successfully then logically isn't the pt killing quicker?

A SAM with gimped attack is still very much stronger than a PLD or NIN.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyhira
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Kyhira 2010-02-26 16:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:

Since he mentioned merits in there i assume he meant EG? So it would be right to assume they have a TH4 *** there as well, so (SA)TA maybe? just a thought, atleast for "hate issues"
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-26 16:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
True, but SAM and MNK (and NIN too) get a lot more Enmity+ from gear then PLD can, which would most likely help significantly enough for them to hold hate just as well.

Also, if the SAM was using Soboro, they'd hold hate a lot better.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-26 16:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Kyhira said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:

Since he mentioned merits in there i assume he meant EG? So it would be right to assume they have a TH4 *** there as well, so (SA)TA maybe? just a thought, atleast for "hate issues"

Actually I think he was talking about the opposite. I believe he was referring to tanking in exp parties.
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-26 16:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, EXP parties.

When I mentioned endgame I was suggesting that SE needs to add a new tank job for Endgame specifically, as we're already good enough with the current jobs as some make great tanks in EXP parties when geared for it.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-02-26 16:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

sam mnk are not tanks <.<

A tank needs not only to mitigate damage but also generate hate. mnk and sam can mitigate damage very well, but they cant generate hate, especially not without sacrificing their defenses.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 16:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD NIN WAR MNK DRK SAM DNC BLU DRG can all tank EXP parties effectively for at least a portion of the leveling process. That's nearly half of the jobs in the game. It's a mindset problem, not a lack of tanking jobs.

EDIT: SAM and MNK can't generate hate? I'd hate to see the DDs you run with. SAM MNK WAR and DRK can outpace a comparably geared PLD's ability to generate hate with ease.

EDIT2: Hell, add RDM to the list. RDM/WAR is a decent EXP tank at certain camps. Half the jobs in the game, bam.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-26 16:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
sam mnk are not tanks <.<

A tank needs not only to mitigate damage but also generate hate. mnk and sam can mitigate damage very well, but they cant generate hate, especially not without sacrificing their defenses.

SAM and MNK CAN tank. Just depends on what is being tanked. When doing Salvage, the group I go with would always use a SAM or MNK tank on everything. I tanked the boss for the assault The Price is Right as MNK. I ultimately died but I tanked it for 70% straight before doing so. They're not the best tanks but they still have to ability to do it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-26 16:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm. No one really use tanks in merit pt's. As for exp pt's, I really wouldnt wanna tank on any other job than nin or pld (pre Ni)unless I had lots of healers. Seigan third eye is nice, but imo very unreliable, sometimes absorb 1 hit sometimes 4.

@ 75 with enough support and a thf or 2 to keep hate on you almost any job can tank as /NIN imo.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 16:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Who says only one person is tanking? Bounce hate like a boss >_>;
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-26 16:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats the purpose of saying this or this job can tank, when you really mean "bounce hate of each other". imo thats not tanking.

Maybe it's just me though, but tanking in my mind is getting hate, and keeping hate from the other ppl in the party, pref w/o dying in the process.
[+]
 Fenrir.Shambo
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-02-26 16:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I want black people to be in the next game.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 16:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Whats the purpose of saying this or this job can tank, when you really mean "bounce hate of each other". imo thats not tanking.

Maybe it's just me though, but tanking in my mind is getting hate, and keeping hate from the other ppl in the party, pref w/o dying in the process.
Your point? Bouncing hate is even better damage mitigation than putting in a "proper" tank. It accomplishes the same purpose, only more effectively.

Besides, if your logic holds true what do you call two tanks bouncing hate on any endgame monster? Is that no longer tanking either?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-26 16:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK is also a great main healer. You just have to have enough of them subbing whm and cure spamming.

But I'm sorry, I guess I misread the title of this thread.

"Petition for a new tank job"

Oh guess I didnt.

[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 16:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Good lord, your fallacies amaze me. How is two PLD/NIN bouncing hate at endgame considered tanking if two SAM bouncing hate in EXP isn't? What about those same SAMs DD tanking an endgame mob? Is that not tanking?
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-26 16:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

How about it's pointless seeing as SE already announced right after they released SCH and DNC that they had no plans to add any more jobs. So the whole "new tank job" point is pretty moot.
 Garuda.Glaciont
Server: Garuda
user: glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2010-02-26 16:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Spartan? Phalanx?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 17:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ding, time's up! The answer is: it's no different at all.

Learn to cotank.
[+]
 Unicorn.Ducea
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Ducea 2010-02-26 17:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

in my original post i believe i was talking about exp parties pre 75. also bouncing hate, managing to survive and xp and tanking in place of nothing else. is not tanking. its a waste of time. im asking for 1 more true tank job. the only problem you ever have building a decent party is finding a tank who can keep hate. sometimes a good mage. no other problems. so why should we have to put up with trying to make something "work" when its not built for that purpose. we shouldnt have to struggle to play the game. thanks again SE. my guess is xiv will be ruined/dead within 2 years. im not hoping for that either before you flame away. i will be playing
[+]
First Page 2 3 4