Link | Quote | Reply

true strike...
 Unicorn.Riken
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Riken
By Unicorn.Riken 2010-03-01 02:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam was actually meant to be a tank....It works quite well. Seigan TE isn't reliable no, but if it drops before the timer is up, just hit that ohshi set and keep on goin. Sam/nin is for pussies also, /war and take what's comin and give it back twice as hard. I've had a harder time while lvling pld, finding dd's that can keep up with the pace of the party, dmg wise. With Voke to start, and a 5-hit, even if you have to idle in your oshi set for 20 seconds, the initial voke and 1500-2k Penta is goin to keep hate on you and only you, although this is merit, in other situations, I've backup tanked dyna as sam/war. Just full time seigan and pay attention not to get hate on the one your fighting because the 2-3 you voked along the way might wake up at the same time lol.

Edit: Only read either first or second page, not sure which. Topic is god knows where now.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-03-01 06:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now there are 3 tank jobs out, 3 healer jobs, couple DD and some in the middle.

NIN isn't supposed to be a tank job. WAR is supposed to be one. (I mean WAR/WHM = gimped paladin there :P) PLD is the best of course.
NIN relies on their copy image to tank way too much, spending lots of gil. It all adds up. (And 99% of the NIN tanks i've partied are MP wasters for me seeing as i'm a WHM the other 1% i was something other than WHM or main healer) Yeah it helps with certain mobs but WAR/NIN works much better on them than NIN/WAR.

I do want another tank job, or fix up DRK (who's good at DD jobs) to be a decent tank job like it's divine counterpart PLD. (if it is sorry, i never seen a DRK/WAR tank lol)

I wanna see Necromancer tho lol. I'd love to animate dead >.>;;
 Titan.Gennss
Server: Titan
user: gennss
By Titan.Gennss 2010-03-01 06:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam can tank, drk/nin can tank hnms almost as well as nin/drk. rdm can tank hnms. War can tank xp mobs as well as sam.

The problem is the skill required, and the willingness for groups to try these techniques. Not the lack of tanks/tank tools.

Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-03-01 06:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Gennss said:
Sam can tank, drk/nin can tank hnms almost as well as nin/drk. rdm can tank hnms. War can tank xp mobs as well as sam. The problem is the skill required, and the willingness for groups to try these techniques. Not the lack of tanks/tank tools.
true. very true.
 Remora.Ojor
Server: Remora
user: Rojo
By Remora.Ojor 2010-03-01 12:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

On SAM/DNC, I'll tank all day long in campaign... it's a foregone conclusion.

...until the times that damned counterstance starts proc'ing non-stop with the soboro and I don't feel the need to switch to the Hagun. Then I get to stare up a lot of skirts :D

win/win
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-03-01 12:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jessie said:
Come on. They even have Chocobo Knights in Wings of the Goddess, make 'em a playable job!

A little something I worked on a while ago: FFXIclopedia Chocobo Knight

Not gonna lie, I checked out your page on that and I'll have to say it really like the idea. Something new and you made it in a way where it's balanced out as if it were another real job. lol Cool stuff. ^^
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-03-01 13:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SE don't give a *** what you want, haven't you learned that lesson yet?!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-01 13:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if they did, this remains one of the more useless (and overused) petitions in FFXI history. We already have tanks that accomplish that function through basically every reasonable variation on the basic concept. Any further addition to the tank roster would be redundant.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-03-01 13:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I SAY WE GET OURSELVES A JOB LIKE A CLOWN!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-01 13:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Sup.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-03-01 13:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Sup.
[PUP IS AWESOME IMAGE]
naw, I say we use BLM, they can do magic tricks.
 Fairy.Akiba
Server: Fairy
user: Akiba
By Fairy.Akiba 2010-03-01 13:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Sup.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, Glad i opened this.. hilarious.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-03-01 13:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Sup.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-01 13:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Sup.
[PUP IS AWESOME IMAGE]
naw, I say we use BLM, they can do magic tricks.
YOU DIDN'T SAY MAGICIAN YOU SAID CLOWN

Also QFT the bold.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-03-01 13:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I call dibs on this job right here:

Oh wait wrong picture, this one:

That's right a rock, has the best defense (think about Excavation Duty Assault), plus it has resistance to most elements. Wind + Acid Rain (Water+Bio?) only affects it over time so s'all good.

But seriously yes, I wouldn't mind a better tank job. *raises hand*
 Bismarck.Aryden
Server: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-03-01 14:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
NIN relies on their copy image to tank way too much, spending lots of gil. It all adds up. (And 99% of the NIN tanks i've partied are MP wasters for me seeing as i'm a WHM the other 1% i was something other than WHM or main healer) Yeah it helps with certain mobs but WAR/NIN works much better on them than NIN/WAR.

wait what?

/baffled

@Ramuh.Kalyna

aside from birds (at 75), nin/(war,/drk,/rdm,/dnc) is going to out tank war/nin on damn near anything. If it wasnt capable, and didnt work, then no one would have ever done it, or still do it. You apparently arent understanding the concepts your speaking of.

For one, shihie arent expensive, and anyone who thinks so doesnt make money. 49k for 1,188 castings not counting NTE from AF2 hands, merits, or Yonin.

Second, as ninja main, you get 4 shadows from ni, NOT 3.

Third, higher lolevasion is still higher evasion, and if you dodge even 1 more attack than the war, youre winning.

Fourth, ninja DoT is something to be reckoned with. Mnks top ninja, but there isnt much else out there can can touch the dot of a properly geared ninja.

Now, if you are purely basing this on overcamping birds, then yeah sure, ninja can get hurt pretty fast if they dont know what they are doing, but war is going to get hurt even faster due to less shadows and lower evasion. Not to mention if they are riding defender.... their damage is gone, and if they're riding zerk they get PF'd and raped.

This is not to say that war cannot tank. It can, but dont compare a job that is now designed to tank (nin) to a job that was meant to be one, but buffed in the DD area instead. Now, given, at 75 things change quite a bit. Merits kick in, birds die so fast, the only tank you need is someone to get it off the puller.

You have to understand, war's only real way of mitigating dmg is with shadows. In endgame, defender is nearly useless, even we plds dont use /war anymore, except in dynamis. Ninja on the other hand can choose from /war, /drk, /rdm, /dnc and still mitigate more damage than a war while speeding its way up the enmity ladder faster.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hikuzo
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hikuzo 2010-03-02 15:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jessie said:
Come on. They even have Chocobo Knights in Wings of the Goddess, make 'em a playable job!

A little something I worked on a while ago: FFXIclopedia Chocobo Knight

This is AMAZING!!!!!

but with the Polearm + Shild thingy, its a Poker-Pally with a pet :P

I LOVE IT!