Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-02-26 17:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
sam mnk are not tanks <.<

A tank needs not only to mitigate damage but also generate hate. mnk and sam can mitigate damage very well, but they cant generate hate, especially not without sacrificing their defenses.

How on earth have you done salvage and don't know what sam and mnk are capable of?
Do you take nin or pld into salvage?
/confused
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 17:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ducea said:
in my original post i believe i was talking about exp parties pre 75. also bouncing hate, managing to survive and xp and tanking in place of nothing else. is not tanking. its a waste of time. im asking for 1 more true tank job. the only problem you ever have building a decent party is finding a tank who can keep hate. sometimes a good mage. no other problems
A PLD is worth maybe half a DD, a DD-tank can be worth half a tank along with their DD functions. non-tank SAM + PLD = 1.5 DD and 1 tank. SAM + SAM in a cotanking function = 2 DD and 1 tank, maybe 1.8 and 1 depending on loss of DoT to defensive abilities. Further, the increased DPS means less chance for the mob to use TP moves, which reduces damage taken even further. Less damage taken means the healer is at less risk of taking hate and can also Haste you with the excess MP if they weren't doing so previously for whatever reason. That means even faster kills for even less damage taken and even more EXP/hr.

Considering how easy it is for a DD to rip hate off a "dedicated tank", this ***should be obvious.

Also, if you're going to call bouncing hate something other than tanking I'm going to have to refer you to my previous post. If you can resolve the paradox in a logical manner, I'm all ears.
[+]
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2010-02-26 17:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
For example: When properly geared...
*A Samurai can tank very well. They hit hard, have high Parry, have Seigan Third Eye (20 second recast with merits, if lucky it'd be up most of the time.), and have access to really good Enmity gear (Arhats 1, Myochin Sune-ate, Eris' Earrings 1, Namioyogi, etc.)

Sadly, this isn't quite right. Seigan halves Third Eye recast. It also halves the effect of the merit reductions. Yeah, it's a pile of bullcrap and SE should consider fixing it, but that's the way it is right now.

Even so, a SAM with capped parry and a strong evasion build can do really well with 25 second recast on it.
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-26 17:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Aramina said:
Sadly, this isn't quite right. Seigan halves Third Eye recast. It also halves the effect of the merit reductions. Yeah, it's a pile of bullcrap and SE should consider fixing it, but that's the way it is right now.

Even so, a SAM with capped parry and a strong evasion build can do really well with 25 second recast on it.
Ah, yeah that's pretty lame. Though 25 second recast is still pretty good.

Unicorn.Ducea said:
in my original post i believe i was talking about exp parties pre 75. also bouncing hate, managing to survive and xp and tanking in place of nothing else. is not tanking. its a waste of time. im asking for 1 more true tank job. the only problem you ever have building a decent party is finding a tank who can keep hate. sometimes a good mage. no other problems. so why should we have to put up with trying to make something "work" when its not built for that purpose. we shouldnt have to struggle to play the game. thanks again SE. my guess is xiv will be ruined/dead within 2 years. im not hoping for that either before you flame away. i will be playing
Thing is, it's the players that make the jobs good tanks, not SE. They take what they get, adapt, innovate, and make it shine. NIN is a prime example. Players made it into a tank that was > PLD, SAM, and WAR at the time. The same can be done with SAM and MNK so long as they're dedicated enough to gear themselves for it.
 Seraph.Chasuro
Server: Seraph
user: Chasuro
By Seraph.Chasuro 2010-02-26 18:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jessie said:
Come on. They even have Chocobo Knights in Wings of the Goddess, make 'em a playable job!

A little something I worked on a while ago: FFXIclopedia Chocobo Knight

I want to be a choco knight!!!!
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-26 18:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So I gather only like 4 people so far are for this petition?
 Odin.Ahligieri
Server: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2010-02-26 18:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's just petition to have the Viking job added. Tank or DD, I'd level it either way.

VIKINGS!
 Seraph.Chasuro
Server: Seraph
user: Chasuro
By Seraph.Chasuro 2010-02-26 18:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

lol,Viking FTW!

I think what you are asking for isn't going to happen, sorry. FFXIV is next. They will look to phase out XI.

I have to agree with Hermann. Learn how to use your jobs. Experiment with other pt setups. Some of my most entertaining party experiences didn't include a formal tank. 3 DD's /nin work well. Ever do a thf pt? It's fun! SMN burn ftw.

SE has given you a vast amount of resources to work with. Someone could have easily said the same thing you are saying years ago, while another was discovering how to tank using a ninja. Get my point?
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-26 18:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

OH SNAP a new tank would be awesum and all. It would be the best thing evar and it would make ninjers into real DDs and debu....oh wait ff14 is just around the corner

I don't think they will add anything after they finish WOTG content.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-02-26 18:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Remora.Laphine said:
sam mnk are not tanks <.<

A tank needs not only to mitigate damage but also generate hate. mnk and sam can mitigate damage very well, but they cant generate hate, especially not without sacrificing their defenses.

How on earth have you done salvage and don't know what sam and mnk are capable of?
Do you take nin or pld into salvage?
/confused

ill just quote this and take it as a reply to everyone else.

I didnt say mnk and sam cant tank now, did i? i said they are not tanks... completely different. Mnk for one wont tank a goddamn thing if a sam is at salvage. Mnk can mitigate damage very well but cant hold the damage a sam does. Can you really say mnk is your tank when clearly the one with hate is the sam?

When i say x job is not a tank, i say it because x job has no hate generating abilities. Thats why pld nin rdm are taken as tanks anyway.

Can dds tank? yes they can, this is a melee burn age cmon. Are they tanks? nope, they are dds. And simply put, dds can only tank stuff that are squish and easily disposed off, which is a condition for melee burn success.
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-26 18:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

For once I'd like to see blood tanking feasible in game.
[+]
 Phoenix.Jovant
Server: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2010-02-26 19:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

*** a new job... SE needs to fix the jobs that are already out >.>; lets balance current jobs before wanting a new one please <.<
[+]
 Ramuh.Ragni
user: Ragni
By Ramuh.Ragni 2010-02-26 19:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:

I didnt say mnk and sam cant tank now, did i? i said they are not tanks... completely different. Mnk for one wont tank a goddamn thing if a sam is at salvage. Mnk can mitigate damage very well but cant hold the damage a sam does. Can you really say mnk is your tank when clearly the one with hate is the sam?

Oh man ur so wrong lol. Good mnk will always do more dmg and have hate agains good SAM, and mnk is good tank ;) For example they tank good Salvage boss ;)
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2010-02-26 19:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Ragni said:
Remora.Laphine said:

Oh man ur so wrong lol. Good mnk will always do more dmg and have hate agains good SAM, and mnk is good tank ;) For example they tank good Salvage boss ;)

sorry but, no?

mechanics on this game. Hasso simply made every other dds just too weak comparatively.
[+]
 Fairy.Aben
Server: Fairy
user: Aben
By Fairy.Aben 2010-02-26 19:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu and rdm can be great endgame tanks. they require the same exact support as pld and nin and have their own damage mitigation.

Damage-
Rdm: Fast Cast, Stoneskin, Phalanx etc
Blu: Cocoon, Zephyr Mantle, weaker stoneskins
Job Traits: Fast Cast I, Counter, Mag Def Bonus, others

Hate-
Rdm: Sleeps, Blind, Bind, Barspells, Dispel
Blu: Exuviation, Actinic Burst, Temporal Shift, Jettatura, dispels, sleeps, triumphant roar

On blu I can go ichi > ni > ichi > zephyr mantle > repeat
and maintain shadows even if /nin spells aren't up. I have my own stun and flash to use when needed, and terror sometimes gets lucky enough to give me some air. It takes some effort but it can definitely pay off. Diamondhide on your fellow tank(s) is also a nice bonus to help them out.

We have other options for tanks, you just have to be bold enough to try :P
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-02-26 19:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
Ramuh.Ragni said:
Remora.Laphine said:

sorry but, no?

mechanics on this game. Hasso simply made every other dds just too weak comparatively.

Have you ever done anything in this game?
 Ramuh.Ragni
user: Ragni
By Ramuh.Ragni 2010-02-26 19:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:

sorry but, no?

Lol ur totaly wrong. I think u never saw good mnk. MNK have highest dps in this game and will always beat SAM with hate on big things + they have subtle blow which helps especially on Salvage. Yeah SAM can good tank on Salvage too but they lose hate fast when fightining along with MNK on same mob ;)
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-26 19:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Jovant said:
*** a new job... SE needs to fix the jobs that are already out >.>; lets balance current jobs before wanting a new one please <.<

This

This

This

wait

wait

yes

This

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 19:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
Ramuh.Ragni said:
Remora.Laphine said:

sorry but, no?

You severely underrate the natural DPS of a well-geared MNK.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-02-26 19:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the Salvage boss really. If you're going up against SSR boss for example, you're going to see hate bounce between Brainjacks. For the most part though, MNK > SAM. MNK runs away with hate straight away with Hundred Fists buffed with SVed double minuet and then just maintains that hate throughout. SAM can still put up great numbers but the MNK should be holding hate with very little problems.
 Phoenix.Jovant
Server: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2010-02-26 19:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:

wtf! u sir... are an idiot.

do u actually do salvage? if u do clearly u wouldnt have said this comment period.
im a *** taru mnk and NONE of the sam's can take ***off of me in salavge but then again none of the sam tp on bosses just run in and WS, then again even when we do sub boss like frogs ectect they still cant take off me. now maybe its because im full usu? idk, but even before when i wasnt full usu sams wasnt tanking ***. and this is just salavge...

i can solo tank VT-IT Aw'euvhi in sea been doing it for a looong time now for HQ euvhi organ. capped guard + 4 merits (277) pop'n chakras at 332 (i think going from top of my head) +400 over time (5/5 Invigorate) + pentance 3/5... i can tank as a taru mnk VERY effeciently (i wish i had dring to maximize my damage- ; ;) this is coming from a taru! i know there are mnk elvaan/galkas or even hume out there with my gear setup have the potential to do MUCH better then me. because of my race it holds me back alot. if i was another race i can pop 400+ charkas and my DD output would be much more greater.
 Fairy.Xerxes
user: Xerxes
By Fairy.Xerxes 2010-02-26 19:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Viking tank w/ A-/A Great Hammer skill. Gooooo.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 19:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Xerxes said:
Your avatar is awesome.
 Fairy.Xerxes
user: Xerxes
By Fairy.Xerxes 2010-02-26 20:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fairy.Xerxes said:
Your avatar is awesome.

Yeah it looks like someone stole the Jolly Green Giant's veggies; he's pissed.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-02-26 20:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jessie said:
Come on. They even have Chocobo Knights in Wings of the Goddess, make 'em a playable job! A little something I worked on a while ago: FFXIclopedia Chocobo Knight

Basically a Warden from LOTRO right there.
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2010-02-26 20:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Jovant said:
Remora.Laphine said:

wtf! u sir... are an idiot.

do u actually do salvage? if u do clearly u wouldnt have said this comment period.
im a *** taru mnk and NONE of the sam's can take ***off of me in salavge but then again none of the sam tp on bosses just run in and WS, then again even when we do sub boss like frogs ectect they still cant take off me. now maybe its because im full usu? idk, but even before when i wasnt full usu sams wasnt tanking ***. and this is just salavge...

yes i must be an idiot. But who is the best dd in this game for squishy things? Sorry its not mnk, and i think we can all agree its a polearm sam. On my ls no mnk could take hate off the sams. We dont have bb mnks, but sorry hasso its still better than BB. A polearm sam (which is what a sam should be wielding in salvage) will crush a mnk so bad ddwise that will make him go cry back to his mommy. So a mnk cant tank on that condition the sam will, and thats the way my ls does it.
[+]
By Sabishii 2010-02-26 20:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Caitsith.Jessie said:
Come on. They even have Chocobo Knights in Wings of the Goddess, make 'em a playable job! A little something I worked on a while ago: FFXIclopedia Chocobo Knight

Basically a Warden from LOTRO right there.

Chocobo Knight? Useful for anything except going into anything resembling a dungeon or an event where Chocobo can't even go into? SWEET! (not really)

Just balance the jobs we already have, like others have already said. Maybe change the system so that VIT and DEF actually mean a damn to high level players. Maybe give shield users a similar deal to what two-handed weapon users have: like how STR and DEX give additional ATK/ACC, have shield wielders gain additional DEF according to their VIT and maybe adjust the way def and VIT affect damage against players. Wouldn't that make blood tanking more effective? Couldn't SE do that?
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-02-26 21:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Shambo said:
I want black people to be in the next game.

Late on this, but if memory serves, they are adding people that looked black. I can't find the pics right now because I'm at work, but I'm sure they're around.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-02-26 21:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Fenrir.Shambo said:
Late on this, but if memory serves, they are adding people that looked black. I can't find the pics right now because I'm at work, but I'm sure they're around.

Stefanos, as usual, is right.

He also has a kick *** avatar.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2010-02-26 21:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Hades.Stefanos said:
Fenrir.Shambo said:

Stefanos, as usual, is right.

He also has a kick *** avatar.