Religious beliefs
First Page 2 3
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-02-06 09:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Such beliefs, by definition, are lies because they involve being convinced of something that we know we aren't certain of. With the help of peer pressure and other means, we begin to reject the doubts (which are the very basis of intelligence) and we start being believers. Our primitive mind is lazy. Instead of doubting and bettering its knowledge, it often goes into "lazy" mode and decides that even unproven theories are "facts" and do not need further questioning.

Religions are based on the ridiculous assumption that a preselected set of beliefs could possibly be based on facts (even if that's mathematically impossible). A series of doctrines that people decide are unquestionable and aren't willing or sometimes even allowed to doubt. Without beliefs, there would be no religions and so, religions are based on lies. There could be a God (or Gods), however. Creationism has nothing to do with it, it's a theory that has yet to be proven.

We have to be grateful that we live in an era and society in which many of our smartest and courageous ancestors gave their lives so that one day we would be given the possibility of speaking freely against about religions, sexism and racism (without being automatically killed). We also have to make sure not to lose that right by always using it to protest when we see our family members and friends being abused. No right is granted. After religions finally disappear from this planet, other, bigger threats to critical thinking will still be.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ranu
Server: Bismarck
user: Ranu
By Bismarck.Ranu 2010-02-07 09:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I rated you up for effort, but I have to say something about your post:
Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Such beliefs, by definition, are lies because they involve being convinced of something that we know we aren't certain of.

Not entirely. Uncertainty isn't a flat out lie, it just means it has yet to be proven or disproven. Please don't get that mixed up.
Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Religions are based on the ridiculous assumption that a preselected set of beliefs could possibly be based on facts (even if that's mathematically impossible). A series of doctrines that people decide are unquestionable and aren't willing or sometimes even allowed to doubt. Without beliefs, there would be no religions and so, religions are based on lies. There could be a God (or Gods), however. Creationism has nothing to do with it, it's a theory that has yet to be proven.

Religion(s) started out innocently, please don't get that twisted.

Ancient peoples created many religions, to try and understand the world around them. The idea that a god or gods were the driving force behind the natural world around them, helped them get the ball rolling on what we consider today as science. It just so happens, like in all arenas, that once someone gets that power over others, they use it towards evil intents. Which is why religion is viewed as immoral and evil to those of us who know better, in today's world.

Again, religion(s) started out innocently. It's the people that came afterwords that have turned it into such an evil entity(ies). You cannot blame the infant for what it will do when it is an adult, that is absurd.

Creationism should not be lumped together with the religions that cae before. As Creationism is just an assault on our modern scientific understanding of the natural universe, nothing more. And it should not be taken seriously, beyond it's brainwashing capabilities.

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
No right is granted.

Very, very true. And sadly, it is religion that has made sure that this statement will always ring true, until religion is wiped from existence.

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
After religions finally disappear from this planet, other, bigger threats to critical thinking will still be.

You cannot know that for sure, nor can anyone else. Still the fact remains, that religion is the biggest enemy of human advance and thinking, nothing else in history has had such a negative impact on humanity or the natural world as religion has.

And I, for one, know for a fact that without religion? This world will be a much better place, and the world will get along much better, and we will all understand each other in better detail. There is no bigger barrier in this world then religious thought, and there is no greater handicap.

Until religion is wiped from existence, humanity and nature are going to continue to suffer. Ignorance, intolerance, greed, coveting, hatred, bigotry, sexism, slavery, and so many more all have roots and long standings in religion and take shelter under the mantle of religion, as sad as that would make our ancient ancestors, whom I can bet had no idea what kind of monster they were creating.

This world will know no universal peace, until every single religion/cult is wiped from existence. Even if another ugly monster rears it's ugly head to take it's place, the world will still be better off.

I'm anti-religious, if you couldn't tell by now. :P But I still won't blame the birth of religion, for what has transpired since. Sorry, but true.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-02-07 09:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
After religions finally disappear from this planet, other, bigger threats to critical thinking will still be.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but proving Religion as false would be the worst thing to ever happen. Not that it will ever happen...
[+]
 Shiva.Dinarii
Server: Shiva
user: Dinarii
By Shiva.Dinarii 2010-02-07 09:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are funny. opinion or not. Saying that following faith or believing in something that cannot be seen/heard/touched/etc. Is not a "Lazy" endeavor. Being actually able to believe in that while trying to rationalize it borders on the line of hysteria and insanity. The mind isnt in lazy mode when thinking of religion. It's in SSJ mode trying to wrap itself around the thought of such an idea.

im not religious myself but calling religion the source of all evil etc. is just stupid. bc even if there were no religion. it wouldnt help mankind. it would be worse off. bc the only thing some ppl have in this life is their faith. Take that away from said person. they have nothing to lose. good luck containing that.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyhira
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Kyhira 2010-02-07 09:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

waiting for "MY God do exist! /wrist"
[+]
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-02-07 10:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Such beliefs, by definition, are lies because they involve being convinced of something that we know we aren't certain of. With the help of peer pressure and other means, we begin to reject the doubts (which are the very basis of intelligence) and we start being believers. Our primitive mind is lazy. Instead of doubting and bettering its knowledge, it often goes into "lazy" mode and decides that even unproven theories are "facts" and do not need further questioning.

We have to be grateful that we live in an era and society in which many of our smartest and courageous ancestors gave their lives so that one day we would be given the possibility of speaking freely against about religions, sexism and racism (without being automatically killed). We also have to make sure not to lose that right by always using it to protest when we see our family members and friends being abused. No right is granted. After religions finally disappear from this planet, other, bigger threats to critical thinking will still be.

90% Agreed
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By semimmortal 2010-02-07 10:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Willing to bet it's the bonanza's fault for this thread.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-02-07 11:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Such beliefs, by definition, are lies because they involve being convinced of something that we know we aren't certain of. With the help of peer pressure and other means, we begin to reject the doubts (which are the very basis of intelligence) and we start being believers. Our primitive mind is lazy. Instead of doubting and bettering its knowledge, it often goes into "lazy" mode and decides that even unproven theories are "facts" and do not need further questioning. Religions are based on the ridiculous assumption that a preselected set of beliefs could possibly be based on facts (even if that's mathematically impossible). A series of doctrines that people decide are unquestionable and aren't willing or sometimes even allowed to doubt. Without beliefs, there would be no religions and so, religions are based on lies. There could be a God (or Gods), however. Creationism has nothing to do with it, it's a theory that has yet to be proven. We have to be grateful that we live in an era and society in which many of our smartest and courageous ancestors gave their lives so that one day we would be given the possibility of speaking freely against about religions, sexism and racism (without being automatically killed). We also have to make sure not to lose that right by always using it to protest when we see our family members and friends being abused. No right is granted. After religions finally disappear from this planet, other, bigger threats to critical thinking will still be.

This just sounds alot like most religious people I've met. "I'm right, your wrong, and you have a malfunctioning brain if you disagree with me."

[+]
By Kalamity 2010-02-07 12:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of people that are attacking religion are confusing religion with Christianity, and things committed by people of a religion for doctrine of a religion. There have been terrible things orchestrated in the name of Christianity such as: genocide, war, and bigotry, but a lot of good has come from it too. Most Christian religions are based around a doctrine of kindness and a non-violence, although whether its members actually do it is a whole different story. One of the greatest fighters against racism and intolerance wasn't a scientist, but a clergymen by the name of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scientific discoveries have been made as well with religion being the main factor, just to name one off the top of my head would be Marconi and the invention of the radio. He stumbled onto it trying to figure out a way to record the voice of Jesus.

Its not like religion brings only bad things. humanitarian aid is vastly funded by religious contributions or religious organizations. If one was to use "rational" thinking then there would be no aid sent. It doesn't help the person sending it, Darwinism should prevail, if the person cannot fend for itself then its better for the gene pool to let that person die.

Furthermore science and religion are not in competition, there are plenty of people who work in the scientific community, that are religious. Science does not deal in absolute truth. Science doesn't provide guidelines for how one should live, or why we exist. Nothing in science is a fact or fully proven, it is simply the best rationale for naturally occurring phenomenon. That is why the scientific community stopped using the word Law to describe theories. If new data comes along everything the scientific community thinks it knows could change.

Also if you don't believe in it why does it bother you? I am not a very religious person, in fact i struggle with what i should believe everyday. Even though I am not very religious, I try to be a big enough person to not attack other peoples beliefs. I am friends with Atheists, Muslims, Christians, witches, and anything new that comes around. Its not going to hurt me or them one bit by being different. I'd rather be happy than right any day. The only way we are ever gonna know what is right is to die. Not like science will ever isolate God in a test tube.

Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-02-07 12:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I am God, give me your money or I'll have your reproductive organs burned off with acid.

Mogology.

Midgardsormr.Natlow
user: Natlow
By Midgardsormr.Natlow 2010-02-07 12:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If you were to actually do your homework rather than making flamboyant accusations, you'd realise that most religions are based on having good morals and showing kindness and generosity to one another. Is this such a bad thing?

Admittedly some people take things to far, to an extremist level, but you cannot blame this on the religion. The fault lies within the person. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that there are some Aethists out there who are just as extremist as some religious fanatics.

Unfortunately in more archaic times a lot of atrocities were committed in the name of religion, but the majority of people have left that behind, and joined society's move into a more civilised era.

On a final note, religion will never fade away. Lenin tried to do this in Russia, but religion is so engrained into people's minds/souls/whateveryouwanttocallit that this failed and proved that religion will always be around whether you like it or not. So you may as well resign to living with it and seeing some of the positives rather than trying to flame those who have beliefs and bring down all religion in the world on an FFXI forum.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-02-07 12:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
After all...people going into a building for a few hours every sunday kills the economy, starves children in Africa and raped my mother.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-07 12:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Ragnarok.Psyence said:
After all...people going into a building for a few hours every sunday kills the economy, starves children in Africa and raped my mother.

Don't forget those old dudes handing out various bibles on college campuses. *** got me late to class. AUGH
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-02-07 13:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Such beliefs, by definition, are lies because they involve being convinced of something that we know we aren't certain of.

Can you really ever be certain of anything without first experiencing it and seeing it for yourself? A scientist telling you information or a reporter on television or reading a book to learn things isn't really considered 'knowing' something or having proof of it. Its' someone feeding you ideas. I don't see why everyone butthurts all over everyone else for religion because honestly the anti-religious people are just as annoying as the religious ones, if not moreso.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-02-07 13:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sterling said:
honestly the anti-religious people are just as annoying as the religious ones, if not moreso.

What's ironic is they both just love to shove their beliefs in other peoples' faces lol
 Fairy.Phatdade
Server: Fairy
user: phatdade
By Fairy.Phatdade 2010-02-07 13:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's wrong to force your beliefs on others!!!!

Oh wait, I just... aww damn it!
[+]
By Dionysius 2010-02-07 13:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I have seen all these threads on here bashing religion and boo hoo QQ about how religion causes hate and the world will be better without it. Everyone who believes in religion is stupid/brainwashed.

I haven't seen many threads started by someone who is "religious" bashing those who don't believe...

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-02-07 13:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dionysius said:
Honestly I have seen all these threads on here bashing religion and boo hoo QQ about how religion causes hate and the world will be better without it. Everyone who believes in religion is stupid/brainwashed.

I haven't seen many threads started by someone who is "religious" bashing those who don't believe...

You missed the one where the atheists were being called retards because they didn't believe in dragons being around about 300 years ago or that some random canyon was Noah's Ark.

True story.
[+]
By Dionysius 2010-02-07 13:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL yes I must have missed that one...
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-07 13:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Dionysius said:

Yeah they were there.
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-02-07 14:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The "fault" of religion and most human institutions is they REPRESENT THINGS THEY ARE NOT. So, the religious soul or the politican wraps themselves in the cocoon of, "Family, Morals and Hard Work" yet proceed to think / live and speak from that Assumption yet in their hearts and private lived do often the very opposite.

The poison of the cultural/religious mind is it does not SEE THINGS FOR WHAT THEY ARE, it sees the assumption of how things are in relation to their beliefs.

Peace can only happen when beings can see clearly what is in their own hearts, without programmed judgments. Then see clearly the environment / people around them, again without artificial judgments.

Religious thought divides man from his fellow man, man from the planet, divides divides divides IN THE NAME OF GOD who by it's very nature would be ALL things to be God. The only thing that uses division and gains power from it is, power centric man.

Politics divides the masses into two or more parties to give the masses the illusion of a choice. Religion divides the world into the righteous (those who surrender / give the church power) and the sinful (those who do NOT give their mind and strength to the church).

So I don't give a feck if various religious communities teach kindness, love and compassion. YOU DON'T NEED RELIGION TO BE COMPASSIONATE. You can feed the homeless without assaulting, er, converting them. You can teach emotional awareness and intelligence without tacking on belief into this or that.

Whatever goodness came from religion, came from people. Those people in turn surrendered their innate brilliance to the religious institution cause that was the label/image they chose to understand the universe with. Religion is not a source of Light, it is a Shadow that obstructs the Light in our hearts. It does this, in the name of the Light, of course.

hahahaha~
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-07 14:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Feifongwong said:
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
honestly the anti-religious people are just as annoying as the religious ones, if not moreso.

What's ironic is they both just love to shove their beliefs in other peoples' faces lol

Looks like you haven't met a Jehovah's witness yet. But really, whether or not its a steadfast christian or a stubborn atheist, it really comes down to the individual and how ridiculous their need to share their beliefs are.

All I have to say to this is: To each their own. Just don't go around alienating others and you'll be fine.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-02-07 14:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we gonna start this again?

Where does it matter whether a person chooses to believe something or not? It's not religion that's causing all the pain and suffering in the world, it's demented people who hide behind religion and any number of other things they can use to excuse themselves for what they do.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-02-07 14:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Jewkitten said:
The "fault" of religion and most human institutions is they REPRESENT THINGS THEY ARE NOT. So, the religious soul or the politican wraps themselves in the cocoon of, "Family, Morals and Hard Work" yet proceed to think / live and speak from that Assumption yet in their hearts and private lived do often the very opposite.

The poison of the cultural/religious mind is it does not SEE THINGS FOR WHAT THEY ARE, it sees the assumption of how things are in relation to their beliefs.

Peace can only happen when beings can see clearly what is in their own hearts, without programmed judgments. Then see clearly the environment / people around them, again without artificial judgments.

Religious thought divides man from his fellow man, man from the planet, divides divides divides IN THE NAME OF GOD who by it's very nature would be ALL things to be God. The only thing that uses division and gains power from it is, power centric man.

Politics divides the masses into two or more parties to give the masses the illusion of a choice. Religion divides the world into the righteous (those who surrender / give the church power) and the sinful (those who do NOT give their mind and strength to the church).

So I don't give a feck if various religious communities teach kindness, love and compassion. YOU DON'T NEED RELIGION TO BE COMPASSIONATE. You can feed the homeless without assaulting, er, converting them. You can teach emotional awareness and intelligence without tacking on belief into this or that.

Whatever goodness came from religion, came from people. Those people in turn surrendered their innate brilliance to the religious institution cause that was the label/image they chose to understand the universe with. Religion is not a source of Light, it is a Shadow that obstructs the Light in our hearts. It does this, in the name of the Light, of course.

hahahaha~

And the sad thing is, in all likelihood, you actually believe this non sense you just wrote/copypasta'd.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-07 14:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Frobeus said:
Unicorn.Jewkitten said:

hahahaha~

And the sad thing is, in all likelihood, you actually believe this non sense you just wrote/copypasta'd.

Well why would they post it then? I think perception is the real enemy. Knowing the difference between showing something under a different angle of light and shoving something down your throat can make all the difference.
By Izey 2010-02-07 14:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

(General statement) You don't need to disprove something that wasn't.... logically believable in the first place.
By Izey 2010-02-07 14:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:

Where does it matter whether a person chooses to believe something or not? It's not religion that's causing all the pain and suffering in the world, it's demented people who hide behind religion and any number of other things they can use to excuse themselves for what they do.

^ This +1
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-07 14:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Izey said:
(General statement) You don't need to disprove something that wasn't.... logically believable in the first place.

Aye, you'd drive yourself mad trying to physically disprove religion. How can one find evidence against that which is entirely borne of faith. The best you can do is go on your own and take the opposite yet equally powerful spectrum of faith: doubt.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-02-07 14:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:

Of course it's gonna start again, it's the inevitability of any religion thread.
First Page 2 3