Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-07 15:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
Izey said:
(General statement) You don't need to disprove something that wasn't.... logically believable in the first place.
Aye, you'd drive yourself mad trying to physically disprove religion. How can one find evidence against that which is entirely borne of faith. The best you can do is go on your own and take the opposite yet equally powerful spectrum of faith: doubt.
Actually no you don't have to go the opposite. You just have to be consistent. Either believe in things because they can be proven which is the normal method or believe in something because it can't be disproven.

Religion does neither. It says normally I will go about actually wanting evidence of soemthing being true unless it has to do my religion then I'll believe whatever I want even if it can be disproven just cause. Religion is the practice of hypocracy and inconsistency. You don't see religious people going around saying accepting this do you?

Yet you technically can't prove it isn't true either.

This of course makes it much easier to live in a dream world and being controlled by those controlling the religion as only what they say can be right and true.
[+]
By Izey 2010-02-07 15:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
Izey said:
(General statement) You don't need to disprove something that wasn't.... logically believable in the first place.

Aye, you'd drive yourself mad trying to physically disprove religion. How can one find evidence against that which is entirely borne of faith. The best you can do is go on your own and take the opposite yet equally powerful spectrum of faith: doubt.

^ This ;p
By Izey 2010-02-07 15:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how its allways the same people ever posting stuff XD!

HI GUYS HOWS THE WEEKEND!? ^.^V
 Midgardsormr.Serbzook
Server: Midgardsormr
user: niktod
By Midgardsormr.Serbzook 2010-02-07 15:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Religions are based on the ridiculous assumption that a preselected set of beliefs could possibly be based on facts (even if that's mathematically impossible).

need to see some equations plz, but you get a 9/10 for the effort.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-02-07 15:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Who says God can't be proven?

To the mind, subjective evidence is just as important as objective evidence.

If you see a painting that you consider "beautiful", it wouldn't matter what anyone else told you, or explained to you etc, that painting would still be beautiful to you. In your mind it would be 100% proven fact.

Those who truly have faith in God, do so not because of some objective evidence has been shown to them, but because they believe they have subjectively experienced God. It will never matter how many people QQ and crow about how the painting is not beautiful, for those who believe they have experienced beauty in that painting, it is both true and irreversible.

So for anyone who thinks they can use objective evidence to disprove someone's subjective experience go right ahead.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-07 15:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It has nothing to do with proving/disproving a subjective experience but with reality. Just because you consider that painting beautiful doesn't make it so. It is what it is and no subjective experience can dispute that. Some might even experience that there is no painting. Doesn't make them right either.

It isn't a question of wether people actually really believe they have experience god so much as if he actually exist. And in the end subjective experiences prove nothing.
 Midgardsormr.Serbzook
user: niktod
By Midgardsormr.Serbzook 2010-02-07 15:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
It has nothing to do with proving/disproving a subjective experience but with reality. Just because you consider that painting beautiful doesn't make it so. It is what it is and no subjective experience can dispute that. Some might even experience that there is no painting. Doesn't make them right either.

It isn't a question of wether people actually really believe they have experience god so much as if he actually exist. And in the end subjective experiences prove nothing.

Nah it comes down to in the vast majority of cases atheists not being at peace with themselves and looking for a titi to suck on. Im sure there might be a few rare ones, but i have yet to see an OP promoting god's exitence.

And atheist plz... how many times did you use the term "omg"
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-02-07 15:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Serbzook said:

You're behind the times! It's "Oh my George" now so decreed by the church of Seinfeld!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-07 15:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm sure that's it. Yeah know when my mom says she sees things that other people can't they just called her crazy and diagnosed here with some mental conditions.

When religous people do it it's normal and there must be something wrong with you if you don't. Make up your mind. Everything that is and invisible and can't be proven is real or only things that can be seen or proven are.

And seriously who doesn't like to such on titties?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-02-07 15:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

The problem you have here, is that you are coming into the discussion with 2 very large assumptions.
1. You assume that what you perceive to be reality is in fact real.
2. You assume that what you perceive to be reality is the same reality that is perceived by everyone else.

You cannot objectively prove either of these. You must accept your subjective experience of reality as fact before objectivity can even be considered.

I have a lamp. When turned on, I perceive it to be very bright. You however, do not perceive it to be very bright at all. So which is it? Now, we can look at an objective scale that measures the brightness of the lamp and we can see exactly where it falls on the brightness scale, we can even assign it a numerical value of brightness. We'll say that that this lamp is 70 bright.

This is helpful because we can tell another person who isn't present that we have seen a lamp with a brightness of 70, and that person (using subjective experiences in their past) will now have an accurate mental representation of the brightness of the lamp. However, this still doesn't answer the question of "is it bright?"

Every individual's reality is completely founded in the subjective. You may not care for subjective proof since it is only proof to oneself and not universally shared, but that does not change the fact that it is proof none the less. The existence of God doesn't have to be objectively shown to be able to be subjectively proven to each individual.

This is the difference between say religion Jesus, and Raptor Jesus. I do not know of any instances where anyone has claimed to have had a subjective experience with Raptor Jesus.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-02-07 15:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah I'm sure that's it. Yeah know when my mom says she sees things that other people can't they just called her crazy and diagnosed here with some mental conditions.

When religous people do it it's normal and there must be something wrong with you if you don't. Make up your mind. Everything that is and invisible and can't be proven is real or only things that can be seen or proven are.

And seriously who doesn't like to such on titties?

Rarely does anything in anyone's reality deal in such absolutes. To claim otherwise is simply being dishonest.

People love to claim things as black and white, when actually its all just varying shades of gray.
 Valefor.Eirinne
Server: Valefor
user: Eirinne
By Valefor.Eirinne 2010-02-07 15:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:

You're behind the times! It's "Oh my George" now so decreed by the church of Seinfeld!

lmfao.
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-07 15:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a figure of speech used for many given circumstances of surprise or silliness. Very poor argument made for yourself.
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-02-07 15:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Alot of reading and barely any pictures im out of here too tired for this today i hate sundays.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-07 15:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Frobeus said:
The problem you have here, is that you are coming into the discussion with 2 very large assumptions.
1. You assume that what you perceive to be reality is in fact real.
2. You assume that what you perceive to be reality is the same reality that is perceived by everyone else.

You cannot objectively prove either of these. You must accept your subjective experience of reality as fact before objectivity can even be considered.

I have a lamp. When turned on, I perceive it to be very bright. You however, do not perceive it to be very bright at all. So which is it? Now, we can look at an objective scale that measures the brightness of the lamp and we can see exactly where it falls on the brightness scale, we can even assign it a numerical value of brightness. We'll say that that this lamp is 70 bright.

This is helpful because we can tell another person who isn't present that we have seen a lamp with a brightness of 70, and that person (using subjective experiences in their past) will now have an accurate mental representation of the brightness of the lamp. However, this still doesn't answer the question of "is it bright?"

Every individual's reality is completely founded in the subjective. You may not care for subjective proof since it is only proof to oneself and not universally shared, but that does not change the fact that it is proof none the less. The existence of God doesn't have to be objectively shown to be able to be subjectively proven to each individual.

This is the difference between say religion Jesus, and Raptor Jesus. I do not know of any instances where anyone has claimed to have had a subjective experience with Raptor Jesus.

The same could be said for any religious person. By this argument nothing in fact can be proven because no one can view anything objectively. At which point we get into the why are you picking and chosing what to believe and disbelieve when you are using the argument that anything can be anything?

Also
SamHarris said:
"atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-02-07 15:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

Nah it comes down to in the vast majority of cases atheists not being at peace with themselves and looking for a titi to suck on. Im sure there might be a few rare ones, but i have yet to see an OP promoting god's exitence.

LOL! Atheists not being at "peace" with themselves? Nonsense. I know a number of both hard-core Christians and moderate atheists, and they're all just people trying to get by in life. None of them has a monopoly on morality, or "inner peace", or anything in particular. In fact, all the most bible-thumping Christians I know are on anti-depressants, which to me, is proof that apparently, Jesus is NOT enough. 8P

As for the term "OMG"...I use it as "oh my gosh", which I say IRL, too...but you're free to think whatever you want, of course. 8)
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-07 16:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Might sound silly, but if you guys did the missions for San d'Oria, they explain quite well that it's foolish to physically impose beliefs and take severe actions with dire consequences for something that should only exist in your heart and nowhere else.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-07 16:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
Might sound silly, but if you guys did the missions for San d'Oria, they explain quite well that it's foolish to physically impose beliefs and take severe actions with dire consequences for something that should only exist in your heart and nowhere else.
I hate sandy!!! Windy rules! And well lastok is just always last

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-02-07 16:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:

People pay attention to the cut-scenes in FFXI? Surely you jest, etc.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-07 16:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Machiaveli said:
Alot of reading and barely any pictures im out of here too tired for this today i hate sundays.
Sorry mach here ya go.

Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-07 17:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
Asura.Artemicion said:

People pay attention to the cut-scenes in FFXI? Surely you jest, etc.

FFXI has a damn good story to it, unlike other MMOs out there that's just slathered with shiny toys to cover up its lack of substance.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-02-07 17:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

elaborating on previous comments, Dasva is right, just because you say something is something that doesnt meant it is. Therefore, the only evidence got exists is from what people say, so the same rule applies; Just because they say he exists, doesn't make it true.
 Fairy.Maruraba
Server: Fairy
user: Maruraba
By Fairy.Maruraba 2010-02-07 17:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay, another religious debate thread! And this one has Kitty Khrist!

To those wondering why a lot of these threads here on FFXIAH are started by the nonreligious and not by the religious, I could offer some plausible explanations:
-Atheists and Agnostics are generally in the minority in much of the western world and we feel the need to discuss and bond with others over our frustrations with a world which otherwise disregards or alienates us.
-A lot of gamers are nerds, nerds are often well-read and educated, and nonreligious people occur in greater numbers statistically among the educated (according to some surveys, at least). There might just be more of us on the forum than believers.
-We are angry, embittered individuals who feel the need to attack others who we view as stupid for their outmoded superstitious beliefs. (Gotta be fair.)
-We care deeply about human rights and morality in the context of this world, not the next, and feel the need to discuss it because it is important to us.

I would say that it's a combination of all of those things, generally, including, yes, a few of us who are just plain angry and not a little bit intolerant.

Personally, I see the problem not as religious belief, but that it is often paired with irrational belief. I recently tried to get some discussion started with the old "Atheists are not Suicide Bombers" thread, but it looks like that one is about dead and buried. Since I feel it is important to discuss why religion combined with irrationality is a potent and deadly combination, I'll link the same article I brought up in that thread for those who are interested.
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?757
(Note: The article is older and I don't link it to bash Republicans, but rather some of the actions they and others in positions of power have taken based on religious motivation.)

Edit: If you don't want to read the whole thing, here's a good excerpt.
Quote:
In his book The Carbon Wars, Greenpeace activist Jeremy Leggett tells how he stumbled upon this otherworldly agenda. During the Kyoto climate change negotiations, Leggett candidly asked Ford Motor Company executive John Schiller how opponents of the pact could believe there is no problem with “a world of a billion cars intent on burning all the oil and gas available on the planet?” The executive asserted first that scientists get it wrong when they say fossil fuels have been sequestered underground for eons. The Earth, he said, is just 10,000, not 4.5 billion years old, the age widely accepted by scientists.

Then Schiller confidently declared, “You know, the more I look, the more it is just as it says in the Bible.” The Book of Daniel, he told Leggett, predicts that increased earthly devastation will mark the “End Time” and return of Christ. Paradoxically, Leggett notes, many fundamentalists see dying coral reefs, melting ice caps and other environmental destruction not as an urgent call to action, but as God’s will. Within the religious right worldview, the wreck of the Earth can be seen as Good News!

Some true believers, interpreting biblical prophecy, are sure they will be saved from the horrific destruction brought by ecosystem collapse. They’ll be raptured: rescued from Earth by God, who will then rain down seven ghastly years of misery on unbelieving humanity. Jesus’ return will mark the Millennium, when the Lord restores the Earth to its green pristine condition, and the faithful enjoy a thousand years of peace and prosperity.
[+]
 Kujata.Alize
Server: Kujata
user: Mila
By Kujata.Alize 2010-02-07 18:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to make the opposing side look wrong, you do not attack their weaknesses. Anyone can do that, as evident in various forums.

To make yourself look credible and not just some angst-up forum troll...you attack their strengths.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-02-07 18:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Pandemonium.Machiaveli said:
Sorry mach here ya go.

All right ! Now this thread is way more appealing to me!

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-02-07 18:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Maruraba said:
-We are angry, embittered individuals who feel the need to attack others who we view as stupid for their outmoded superstitious beliefs. (Gotta be fair.)

I agreed with your other points, but not this one. One of the things that drives the religious people in my life crazy is the fact that I'm NOT an angry, embittered person. I'm actually a fairly cheerful, upbeat, optimistic person. I'm kind to animals, I help little old ladies put their groceries in their car, I donate to charities I feel are worthwhile, and I definitely lean towards atheism. I think it would be easier for them if I WERE angry and embittered, because then they could just blame my atheism, instead of having to consider the fact that according to their beliefs, a kind and generous person will be burning in hell for all eternity. 8)

Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-02-07 18:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Bartimaeus said:
Needs moar Vigor-Jesus, Machi. ;-;

I'm afraid Jesus didnt have that powerfull neck muscles as Vigor did Bart :(!