March 2024 Version Update
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-13 12:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean in the end it's for a mule who otherwise would be getting a weapon I'd never use so it is what it is. Guess there's also an argument for the infinite Seal book in that case tho since that can be directly translated into monthly income

The real answer is ill never even win a rank 2 let alone rank 1 so why bother gooning to things I'll never possess
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-03-13 12:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
but currently it is not jesus.

And I've acknowledged that. But the argument still matters, because you're not ever likely to get another win. You're comparing a toy weapon that has a small chance to become extremely useful in the future to upgrades that are so minor as to not even matter.

Plenty of people would prefer 2.5% DPS on WAR or whatever they get out of a Diamond Aspis. Some will prefer the ability to remove weakness once a day (though in the same vein as NIN, this isn't likely to ever matter to a good group doing only Sortie/Odyssey because once you die and lose your buffs/enmity/etc.. you can't typically fix it).

None of the prizes are *that* good, from what we know. But, the thing holding Yagyu back is the job itself rather than the weapon, so it has potential to be extremely good in the future, and that's enough for me.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2024-03-13 12:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm ML's gave Ninja access to amazing hate and damage mitigation from /RUN, it's actually an extremely good boss tank right now. The problem is that there is no content where such a tank could actually participate. Sortie heavily favors magic SC damage and therefor RUN's Rayke and Gambit are infinitely more useful. Odyssea gaol's mechanics make NIN/RUN simply not an option. Seg farm there really isn't a tank but a puller, and while NIN can do that fairly well, it's not going to be anywhere near a PLD or RUN without a RDM nearby and frequently just another DD would be better.

We just need new content that allows the option for NIN/RUN tanking, it doesn't have to be optimal just a valid option.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-13 12:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
just need new content

Back to the drawing board
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-03-13 12:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
just need new content

Yep, it's the core issue right now plaguing the game, lack of content diversity. We have two actual things to do, both stuck with some sort of daily timer. Technically Dyna-D and Omen are still around for anyone who wants an upgrade, but those are really old things. Got to see a buddy do NIN/RUN tanking on both and it was pretty hilarious how good Flash, Foil, Vallation and Valiance were when combined with Yonin and Ninja's own tools. The 20% accuracy floor makes Utsusemi kinda useless for big pulls, but that's where high HP / defense / MDB gear like Mpaca or Nyame came in.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-13 12:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah when you're talking about a high mlvl /RUN you basically have every hate tool that a main RUN has besides aoe Liement and 1hrs. NIN probably even has higher +Enmity than run thanks to Yonin and Fudo Masamune but don't quote me on that

That said still very hard to compete with the utility of pld and run especially on the content we have in the game as you mentioned
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-13 12:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Got to see a buddy do NIN/RUN tanking on both and it was pretty hilarious how good Flash, Foil, Vallation and Valiance were when combined with Yonin and Ninja's own tools. The 20% accuracy floor makes Utsusemi kinda useless for big pulls, but that's where high HP / defense / MDB gear like Mpaca or Nyame came in.

How does a NIN/RUN tag multiple mobs? That's the problem I've always thought about with NIN attempting to actually tank packs of mobs.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-13 12:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valiance or cast a buff on whoever slept the ***then cast foil
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-03-13 13:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah when you're talking about a high mlvl /RUN you basically have every hate tool that a main RUN has besides aoe Liement and 1hrs. NIN probably even has higher +Enmity than run thanks to Yonin and Fudo Masamune but don't quote me on that

That said still very hard to compete with the utility of pld and run especially on the content we have in the game as you mentioned
With Nagi alone, NIN can get +40 enmity in a single slot >:^)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-13 13:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
I think the problem isn't that 'Yagyu isnt that good', but that 'NIN isnt that good', really.
Exactely and, ironically, we're back to square 1.
This all started with someone saying that NIN, while not in a terribad situation, is not really "that good" and genuinely implied that Yagyu Darkblade would make NIN super good.

At that point someone else started saying that while Yagyu Darkblade is incredibly good in theory, in realistic situations doesn't really make as much of a difference as some say and that, alas, wouldn't probably be enough to solve the NIN issues that make the job "not that good", just like you said.

See? The circle is closed xD
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-13 13:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Circle closed!? Keep going another couple pages.

List every possible enemy you would use it on and then argue about it.

Everyone makes their own list. No cheating. We got pages to fill.

I went first, that blank space is my list of every single enemy in the entire game that I'd use Yagyu on.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-13 13:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Dudes in here making 70 different sets based on what songs they have, what rolls they have and at what level, what buffs are up, use react to swap sets based on enemy attacks, cant make a 71st set based on a Copy Image check.

And their best defence at that statement is to attack me personally or alter what I said, because SOME mobs behave a certain way making the potential Copy Image check useless.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-13 13:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Which Bonanza weapon is game breaking? Job changing? Which weapon absolutely usurps all other weapons of that type??

And no, im not saying the Katana does.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-13 13:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Which Bonanza weapon is game breaking? Job changing? Which weapon absolutely usurps all other weapons of that type??

Wrong question to ask, because this is FFXI not FFXIV. In order to be useful, a weapon doesn't have to total usurp every other weapon in the category, it just has to do something unique, or better, than any other item in the slot.

TBH I think most of them fit that description, with the exception of some of the really crappy ones. Obviously there aren't a ton of scenarios where a THF is going to need to absorb wind damage and it's not the highest priority on anyone's list, but it can't be argued it's not best in slot for that!

Since we're already way off topic, who's ready to make some bonanza weapon tier lists?!

I'll start:
S: Miracle Cheer, Onion Sword III, Diamond Aspis, Yagyu Darkblade
A: Pandit's Staff, Wizard's Rod, Kupon AW-Kupo
B: Dragon Fangs, Chocobo Knife, Mutsu-No-Kami Yoshiyuki, Premium Heart
C: Malefic Axe
D: Save the Queen III, Zanmato+2, Drastic Axe, Final Sickle
F: Ice Brand, Air Knife, Flametongue, Hebo's Spear, Brave Blade III, Exeter, Artemis's Bow+2
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-13 14:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That disrespect on the ice brand/flametongue
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-13 14:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

That disrespect on the ice brand/flametongue

Call me when you can beat Caladbolg's/Naegling's damage!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-13 14:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

They're both 1h swords but anyway Ice Brand is legitimately very cool and probably B or A tier, Flametongue would be godlike if TP bonus magians didn't exist

Honestly if we were to rank them by general effectiveness and time spent using ice brand would be S
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-13 14:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

They're both 1h swords but anyway Ice Brand is legitimately very cool and probably B or A tier, Flametongue would be godlike if TP bonus magians didn't exist

Honestly if we were to rank them by general effectiveness and time spent using ice brand would be S

Oh? What scenarios are you gonna be using these? MH or OH? Is the extra WSC better than Naegling/Crocea/Tizona? Not going to get a bonanza weapon for DD PLD and it seems to me RDM, BLU, WAR have better options already. As you said, they could be nice offhands, maybe, but unfortunately for these weapons, TP bonus magians do exist. Could be nice offhands for low accuracy situations, I guess? Wouldn't call that S-tier, but maybe I'm missing something. Seems to be the case a lot lately lol.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-13 14:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be offhand and in the case of Ice Brand it positively slaps as a nuking weapon on top of being a serviceable and pretty competitive OH for Expiacion/Savage dmg. I don't know how strong the enspell is so not including that either.

I should note that this is specifically for BLU where the extra INT is potent. Idk how it stacks up for something like a dual Wield casting rdm but I doubt it would come close to an r25/30 bunzi rod
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-03-13 15:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

just need new content

[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-13 15:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Dudes in here making 70 different sets based on what songs they have, what rolls they have and at what level, what buffs are up, use react to swap sets based on enemy attacks, cant make a 71st set based on a Copy Image check.

And their best defence at that statement is to attack me personally or alter what I said, because SOME mobs behave a certain way making the potential Copy Image check useless.

Obvious trolling is apparently not obvious to some. We are talking about the patch update notes in this thread and we're all taking it very seriously. If you felt attacked, idk man, you've got 2k+ posts to know how things work around these parts.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-13 15:59:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You made that rather clear when you edited what I wrote and replied to your edited post of mine.
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-13 16:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be offhand and in the case of Ice Brand it positively slaps as a nuking weapon on top of being a serviceable and pretty competitive OH for Expiacion/Savage dmg. I don't know how strong the enspell is so not including that either.

I should note that this is specifically for BLU where the extra INT is potent. Idk how it stacks up for something like a dual Wield casting rdm but I doubt it would come close to an r25/30 bunzi rod

For RDM, I'd imagine it's BiS OH for Sanguine Blade over Bunzi for only 1 reason, and that is its slower delay. You'd tip the frequency of 2 rounds vs 3 rounds between WS heavily in 2 rounds favor. It would also shift you to Gain Int which would make it more accurate and would make you more resistant to magic damage. You'd be more accurate in your OH as well since swords > clubs.

AND CLEARLY you main hand it against Arebati for the absorb ice and +10% INT to Empyreal Arrow. Lies. Mainhand would still be TP bonus sword. It would be for Arching Arrow if you were avoiding wall by switching bows between WSs.

Flametongue+TP bonus would be BiS for ONLY shooting Empy arrow with dual wield which is not a real scenerio. Excalibur+Flametongue would be BiS for KoTR. Mandau+FT would be BiS for Mercy Stroke, but I don't know if it would beat out Prime Dagger + TP bonus. One makes dark the other light so they are allowed to be redundant.

Neither are game changing and both would be nice to accentuate off spec tactics that generally don't occur during normal setups for current end game because of the lack of native dual wield.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-03-13 16:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

We need something to ring that SE Bell that the current life of FFXI is *** ***
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-13 16:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need "something" you know the "something" there's only one thing you can do, AND it just so happens to be the correct "something"

What you require is the cojones to do it.
By Seun 2024-03-13 17:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

The sound of that bell is drowned out by the sound of all the idiots floating multiple accounts. How the hell you expect them to understand that the game isn't popular when so many people are paying so much more than they need to trying to prove otherwise?
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-13 18:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah when some people are paying over $100 a month to play only with themselves, it's really hard to believe they would ever leave.
By Draylo 2024-03-13 20:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Your posts make no sense, they have the numbers on their side. They surely see the sub drops from people leaving due to lack of new substantive content. It has nothing to do with multi boxers, they just simply don't care. How are they idiots? You are just sounding jealous/weird.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-13 20:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Seun said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

The sound of that bell is drowned out by the sound of all the idiots floating multiple accounts. How the hell you expect them to understand that the game isn't popular when so many people are paying so much more than they need to trying to prove otherwise?
The RMT who give SE 20 grand a month are inflating the numbers a lot more than the multiboxers.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7