Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2024-03-11 13:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Zehira said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
I want to live in a world where SE cares about FFXI

SE actually cares about FFXI which is why we are going to see new FFXI in FFXIV's Dawntrail... but the community? Not so much. SE could just dump it into the toilet bowl and flush then make a new FFXI for gen z.

Ideally, SE would take us, fold FFXI into a funnel, and pour us and our monthly subscriptions into FFXIV....but after this long I would hope they've figured out that isn't happening en masse, long-term. Perhaps Dawntrail will be more FFXI love as this game collects dust in a last-ditch effort not to convert us to 14, but to snag a few who are leaving SE online products completely after the way they are treating XI.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-11 14:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you UnityNPC powder dump in West Adoulin, you need to change Nunaarl's ID from

17826178 to 17826179 and it'll work again
(Line 35 in npcs.lua)
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-03-11 14:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As I play, love, and admire the incredible effort SE put in to FFVII Rebirth... it leaves me thinking. If SE showed FFXI even the smallest amount of love, we'd all be way better off.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-03-11 14:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Except they already made all the new art for the cosmetic weapon. I'm no artist, but I'm pretty sure what they've already created with the base Esoteric Athame is the majority of the effort.

I agree it's weird there's no +1, but the model was probably made years ago; Same with the "new" MT cosmetics.

Recolors and texture swaps might be on-demand intern work, but for the token monthly LP cosmetics I'm sure they just pick something from the pile of unused/unpublished models in their asset pool.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-11 14:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
If you UnityNPC powder dump in West Adoulin, you need to change Nunaarl's ID from

(Line 35 in npcs.lua)

Why dump powders in the city with the worst sale prices?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-11 15:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

Dont make me tap the sign again.

Meeble said: »
I agree it's weird there's no +1, but the model was probably made years ago; Same with the "new" MT cosmetics.

Recolors and texture swaps might be on-demand intern work, but for the token monthly LP cosmetics I'm sure they just pick something from the pile of unused/unpublished models in their asset pool.
My original point stands though. They still took the effort to give it a name, base stats, link it to an ID. Is it that much more effort to give a +1 with some random stat?
By Meeble 2024-03-11 15:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My original point stands though. They still took the effort to give it a name, base stats, link it to an ID. Is it that much more effort to give a +1 with some random stat?

Depends on how janky their software tools are. I know we joke about it being easy intern work, but they're also in the process of getting rid of all the interns.

Server virtualization hasn't happened yet, and there's still more glowy weapons to make master trials for. I'm sure anyone left on the XI team has a full plate, either the +1 didn't get done in time or they just didn't bother. If it shows up(or doesn't) for the recap month I guess we'll find out.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-03-11 16:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

Dont make me tap the sign again.

Meeble said: »

Tap the sign again, please.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-11 16:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Of the 4 options, adoulin has the highest sell value. When you have zero fame.
By zigzagzig 2024-03-11 17:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

S.E do Care, and soon will void Lua and W4 use.

Enjoy ^^;
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-11 17:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Investing 13k gil and using a tradebot to quickly cap fame in Bastok/Sandy for better NPC sell values is a stupid waste of time and resources but running a mule to Adoulin for the best zero-fame NPC sell values is the best use of time and resources.

Asura.Vyre said: »
Tap the sign again, please.

Eiryl once against showing that he is the dumbest person here.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-11 17:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Raising fame 200 times a day is entirely too much effort. But warping to adoulin is effortless.

Even if it were built into the bot I still wouldn't do it. Adding more failure points is a no-no. It's already turds when one gets invisible menued on sparks, add 3 more warps and 100 trades, that's gonna be a no from me.

Prize powders are 97g with zero/neutral fame, 100g in adoulin and 100g with max fame in sandoria if you do sheep.
You get 102 if you max tenshodo fame. And that's multiple warps/zones, a quest and another hard pass. Absolutely not worth.

If your characters are permanent, and you aren't squeezing the extra gil, you're doing it wrong. Mine are not. So I do not.
By Meeble 2024-03-11 20:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You're doing part of each one by hand? That's...

Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-11 20:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Failure points are where the game can crash. And that account won't get logged back in until I notice.

I don't have a program to log back in crashed accounts, no way around that, that I know of. Has to be manually.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-11 21:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Start your next throwaway botmule

Or

Delay that so you can run a char to Jeuno, go thru the ACP forced CS, do the adoulin CS, pick up shields/powders in adoulin for an extra 5k gil or whatever
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-11 21:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

This unrelevant arguement is already larger than those patch notes. Let's get to page 7 the hard way
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-11 21:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It is irrelevant but nynja can't help but attempt to stir ***up cause no one gave him attention growing up. He can't help himself. And I was free enough to correct him.

But now it's Gain-Money, so he can go back to *** himself or fighting with whoever will listen. The fix for Nunaarl is there, if you need it.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
UnityNPC is broken due to update in West Adoulin; If you UnityNPC powder dump in West Adoulin, you need to change Nunaarl's ID from

(Line 35 in npcs.lua)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-12 02:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok d44k
 Shiva.Haldarn
Server: Shiva
user: Haldarn
By Shiva.Haldarn 2024-03-12 02:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

jubes said: »
700 files in a nothing update? odd
Realised that this is likely enough large-scale text changes for Vana'Bout round 2, using many different events requiring updates to the printable text in each zone in which you can find them.
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-03-12 04:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

zigzagzig said: »
S.E do Care, and soon will void Lua and W4 use.

Enjoy ^^;
That would be amazing but they need to update and change many of how the bosses reacts
By RadialArcana 2024-03-12 05:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Ideally, SE would take us, fold FFXI into a funnel, and pour us and our monthly subscriptions into FFXIV....but after this long I would hope they've figured out that isn't happening en masse, long-term. Perhaps Dawntrail will be more FFXI love as this game collects dust in a last-ditch effort not to convert us to 14, but to snag a few who are leaving SE online products completely after the way they are treating XI.

Square underfund XIV to the bare minimum they can get away with, and give XI nothing. Money from XI isn't going into XIV, or vice versa.

They don't care about how much money these games are bringing in cause they already make plenty of money from gacha and merch, and they certainly have no love or care for the games they make. Square is a cold souless corporation (same as every other public company), and they pump out products purely to push up the stock price and refuse to fund anything that might hurt the stock price (which is why you don't get more sexy Nier).

Almost all the cash the money makers create is thrown into projects that make zero profit and infact lose lots of money, but that are made to push up the stock price / prestige. 16 ate most of the profits from BD3, 7 rebirth also had an insane budget. Every second you're looking at in this games is a guy with a flamethower burning a mountain of money. 7r will never make a profit and they knew that going in. it's a loss leading project.

That game helps the stock price like no other game ever would (or at least that's the idea), XI or even XIV doing well does next to nothing in that regard. These games are work horses, nobody cares about them and they just exist to fund the projects that matter to the company for stock purposes.

Investors are like bees around a jampot, they are really stupid and know nothing about the industry. All they know is to read game industry news and big games get their money balls excited enough to invest, to get a quick RoI. Which is why there is a mad rush to sell sell after every big game comes out.

If you play a game like Unicorn Overlord you see a game made by a company that loves making games are are passionate about them, that ain't Square Enix. Square haven't been a passionate company for video game production in many many years.
[+]
By zeta 2024-03-12 06:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Square underfund XIV to the bare minimum they can get away with, and give XI nothing. Money from XI isn't going into XIV, or vice versa.

They don't care about how much money these games are bringing in cause they already make plenty of money from gacha and merch, and they certainly have no love or care for the games they make. Square is a cold souless corporation (same as every other public company), and they pump out products purely to push up the stock price and refuse to fund anything that might hurt the stock price (which is why you don't get more sexy Nier).

Almost all the cash the money makers create is thrown into projects that make zero profit and infact lose lots of money, but that are made to push up the stock price / prestige. 16 ate most of the profits from BD3, 7 rebirth also had an insane budget. Every second you're looking at in this games is a guy with a flamethower burning a mountain of money. 7r will never make a profit and they knew that going in. it's a loss leading project.

That game helps the stock price like no other game ever would (or at least that's the idea), XI or even XIV doing well does next to nothing in that regard. These games are work horses, nobody cares about them and they just exist to fund the projects that matter to the company for stock purposes.

Investors are like bees around a jampot, they are really stupid and know nothing about the industry. All they know is to read game industry news and big games get their money balls excited enough to invest, to get a quick RoI. Which is why there is a mad rush to sell sell after every big game comes out.

If you play a game like Unicorn Overlord you see a game made by a company that loves making games are are passionate about them, that ain't Square Enix. Square haven't been a passionate company for video game production in many many years.

Well I didnt want to start my day off depressed but here I am lol..
[+]
By Zehira 2024-03-12 06:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

zeta said: »

I wouldn't listen to FFXI "fanboys." This FFXIAH has a lot of bias. First, they fanboy-attacked XIV and now HorizonXI. SE online products are meant for you to enjoy without "hey hey are you listening!? Please read my long *** post!" attitudes.

But yeah, even if you want a really good coop game to play with your friends, stay away from SE online products.
[+]
By Seun 2024-03-12 06:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

zeta said: »

Real FFXI players go to sleep praying for nightmares and wake up looking forward to pain and suffering.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-12 07:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
These games are work horses, nobody cares about them and they just exist to fund the projects that matter to the company for stock purposes.
FUJITO CARES!

I actually think he might. It's nuts. And he's probably the only one.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-03-12 08:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Investing in FFXI would make no financial sense whatsoever, it is sad but true. There isn't some massive dormant flock of players who are all of a sudden going to return if major new content is added or client updates are made, at least not enough to cover the cost, all of that assuming it's even feasible to begin with and there aren't technical limitations. Even the most diehard 11 fan here with the best case for pitching more investment couldn't convince someone it makes financial sense.

Explain things like Odyssey and Sortie to the average gamer, old or young, they'll look at you like you belong in an insane asylum. They don't want that ***, games like this aren't made anymore for a reason. Most gamers today have short attention spans, something comes out, they play it for 100 hours or so, then move on. They have to monetize around that. There are dedicated players who dump 1000s of hours into games like this, BG3, Skyrim, etc over the years, but they are the minority. Like most old MMOs, there is a dedicated, small fanbase that keeps the game going, but it is not going to connect with audiences unless it looks and feels nothing like it currently does.

Meanwhile, titles like FF7:R are reworked to connect with old and new audiences, because the story resonates with older gamers who played the first ones and the gameplay resonates with newer ones who didn't experience the first. I told a coworker a few years back I still played 11 and their response was "grindiest game ever" and acted like I was nuts, I'm convinced that aside from the social aspects, that's what most people remember about it. They may have fond memories of it, but the number of players willing to join again and put that level of effort in again is tiny.

Enjoy what is there, or don't and move on, plenty of people have. Don't expect more, because outside of what a small team can do, there isn't anything coming because it would make no sense to invest in it, especially considering trying to work on a 20 year old platform. They aren't going to do anything about Windower and Lua either, because you can't just wave a wand and "void" it without major work. What we got is what we got, the sooner people accept that, the better off you'll be. I may wish it was different, but I'd also be lying if I was the one making the decision and said I'd do anything differently.
[+]
By kishr 2024-03-12 08:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

agree, won't farm 50-100 same mob for a repeat quest over and over again with horrible rng in a 2002 graphics game.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-12 08:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Agree with 95% of what Iamaman said, except I do think that there is an audience of people who would come back to the game with new content and/or advertising. The problem, as he describes, is with the AMOUNT of people who would come back. There are at best a few hundred people across all servers who would subscribe long-term to FFXI, giving SE a few thousand bucks. It wouldn't even cover the costs, let alone make them any money, and yet people wonder why they don't "show love" for FFXI by fixing all their gripes and adding new content.

One other thing I low key agree with others on too is they should shift from doing little BS like lockstyle daggers and instead spend several months' effort on creating something larger, like a new battlefield or whatever. Though I'm not sure those things are interchangeable.
By Nariont 2024-03-12 09:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

that and minor job tweaks(lowering timers, changing values, not adding anything new) would at least throw a tinge of excitement into the updates and shouldnt take much time/effort on dev part
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-03-12 09:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
unless it looks and feels nothing like it currently does.
This is why I'm not particularly interested in any kind of a remake or whatever for most of my favourite games. I love it already for what it is. From my perspective, any changes made would be (at best) neutral for me.

What would appeal to the broadest possible audience isn't going to appeal to my unusual niches. I didn't sink thousands of hours into replaying Final Fantasy Tactics with the thought "Y'know, this game is great, but I'd like it even more if it had cutting-edge graphics and 800 actions-per-minute gameplay."
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7