Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 129 130 131
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-03-27 11:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Shiva.Zerowone said: »
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/27/822407626/mystery-in-wuhan-recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive?

It’s either legit or it’s sensationalism.

If everything in print is sensationalism, your problem might be cynicism.
You're assuming I have a problem. I do not. Knowing that the media is not trustworthy just means I need to do a little more work to get the news. Unlike most people, I don't only read news from 1 side. Read it all, acknowledge the contradictions, and sort through it.
And if I see some sources being really outrageously bad (like promoting the use of fish bleach, then claiming someone else was promoting it after a person died), then I can use those sources to decide which contradiction is the wrong one.

Very wise. People tend to play team politics with their news. Not just in the right/left aspect either. For example, just because you don’t trust the government doesn’t mean anti-government news sources are correct. Just because you think the MSM is garbage doesn’t mean that fringe bloggers and YouTubers have the “truth” despite using the word constantly.

Sorting facts from opinion and straight news from sensationalism just takes work. If you trust everything from one site, chances are you just found a site that says what you want to hear and that’s good enough for most people.
[+]
 Bahamut.Minimuse
user: grumpette
By Bahamut.Minimuse 2020-03-27 11:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
I'm unlocking this thread, with the following caveat:

The old anti-vax rule about "anything that deliberately flies in the face of public health/science gets you nuked, no appeal" is in play for this.

Behave yourselves accordingly.

Thank you Rooks <3

I don't have covid-19 yet, but I am directly affected by it.

Two main drugs are used in treating the worst of the covid-19 symptoms. An antibiotic and an anti-malarial.

The anti-malarial Plaquenil is used to treat people with severe autoimmune disorders. Without this medication, most of us will die horribly and needlessly as our body's defense mechanism attacks healthy organ tissues. More than 24 million people in the United States have autoimmune disease.

Plaquenil works like a milder form of chemotherapy without the nasty side effects. Occasionally when my symptoms do get bad, I need to take chemo meds. Otherwise I am fine and don't look sick. I'm a normal gamer girl that loves playing FFXI, stringed musical instruments, foreign cinema, cosplay. Yeah, total nerd, here.

Plaquenil is now in short supply as it is used to help reduce the severity of covid-19 in conjunction with an antibiotic. Plaquenil is also being used as a prophylaxis by some medical professionals.

I only have a 2 month supply of Plaquenil left.

Lets be good to one another, ok?

Let's survive together. I want to get to the part of Odyssey where I get to upgrade my Tatenashi haramaki +1 from Tumult Curator in the next few months.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 11:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
Rooks said: »
I'm unlocking this thread, with the following caveat:

The old anti-vax rule about "anything that deliberately flies in the face of public health/science gets you nuked, no appeal" is in play for this.

Behave yourselves accordingly.

Thank you Rooks <3

I don't have covid-19 yet, but I am directly affected by it.

Two main drugs are used in treating the worst of the covid-19 symptoms. An antibiotic and an anti-malarial.

The anti-malarial Plaquenil is used to treat people with severe autoimmune disorders. Without this medication, most of us will die horribly and needlessly as our body's defense mechanism attacks healthy organ tissues. More than 24 million people in the United States have autoimmune disease.

Plaquenil works like a milder form of chemotherapy without the nasty side effects. Occasionally when my symptoms do get bad, I need to take chemo meds. Otherwise I am fine and don't look sick. I'm a normal gamer girl that loves playing FFXI, stringed musical instruments, foreign cinema, cosplay. Yeah, total nerd, here.

Plaquenil is now in short supply as it is used to help reduce the severity of covid-19 in conjunction with an antibiotic. Plaquenil is also being used as a prophylaxis by some medical professionals.

I only have a 2 month supply of Plaquenil left.

Lets be good to one another, ok?

Let's survive together. I want to get to the part of Odyssey where I get to upgrade my Tatenashi haramaki +1 from Tumult Curator in the next few months.
I really hope people take this thing seriously so it doesn't hurt people like you. Be assured that I and my family are doing our best to do our part.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 13:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that as best as we can expect of admission that you are wrong?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-03-27 13:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The guy apologized and deleted his posts when he wasn’t even told to. Give it a rest before we get off topic again.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 13:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I think Rooks cleaned them out.
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-03-27 13:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
The guy apologized and deleted his posts when he wasn’t even told to. Give it a rest before we get off topic again.

Yes, this.

Viciouss said: »
Actually I think Rooks cleaned them out.

I did not. I had a brief conversation with him in PM about the matter and that was all.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 13:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

On topic, what news from the front? Nothing much different from last week here, didn't have to hit the grocery store here yet, so got nothing there. All public spaces are still locked down. I feel bad for service industry people, financially speaking going to be rough on them. I did get a notice that my credit limit has been reduced over this. But they still want their payments on time. Personally I think freezing mortgage payments/rent/credit payments would be more beneficial at this time than a one off government check. But what would I know.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 13:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
If they make body piece from Curator a top piece it will be good because it is one of the last challenges.
Probably won't know that until sometime after corona virus recovery. Would not surprise me that future content would be delayed upwards of a year from expected.
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 13:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
On topic, what news from the front? Nothing much different from last week here, didn't have to hit the grocery store here yet, so got nothing there. All public spaces are still locked down. I feel bad for service industry people, financially speaking going to be rough on them. I did get a notice that my credit limit has been reduced over this. But they still want their payments on time. Personally I think freezing mortgage payments/rent/credit payments would be more beneficial at this time than a one off government check. But what would I know.

Shelter in place is in effect until April 13th, then reevaluate. Beautiful weather, we were promised the warm weather would make it go away. It hasn't.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-03-27 13:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Minimuse for clearing up the anti-malaria drug thing. People in my area is getting into panic state and last I heard, some of them tried to take anti-malaria drug even when healthy.

One of the thing I know about drug supply is that a lot of the drugs ingredients actually come from China. You could actually buy enough ingredients from China to produce pretty much anything as long as it's not a controlled substance (In China).

China supply was hit hard since Feb but they are back in business near the end of March. My suppliers (packaging materials supplier) told me that if nothing bad happens, they should be back in full by May.

Hopefully by May we would have enough drugs from China to restock.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-03-27 13:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

we were promised the warm weather would make it go away. It hasn't.
It was promised that the warm weather was supposed to slow down the spread, not eradicate it.

oh shi
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 13:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Thanks Minimuse for clearing up the anti-malaria drug thing. People in my area is getting into panic state and last I heard, some of them tried to take anti-malaria drug even when healthy.

One of the thing I know about drug supply is that a lot of the drugs ingredients actually come from China. You could actually buy enough ingredients from China to produce pretty much anything as long as it's not a controlled substance (In China).

China supply was hit hard since Feb but they are back in business near the end of March. My suppliers (packaging materials supplier) told me that if nothing bad happens, they should be back in full by May.

Hopefully by May we would have enough drugs from China to restock.

That is a pretty bad problem for the U.S. Being that reliant on any one foreign nation for the sole supply of medications. Specifically because of situations like we are in now.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2020-03-27 14:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

but also warmer weather means more "GOTTA GET TO THE BEACH, BRUHHHHH" which then turns into "lolsocial distancing?! during MY vacation time?! YOLOSWAG"
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 14:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I would honestly like to hear others' thoughts on bills, does the 'trump bux' seem reasonable? Or should all payment requirements/interest accumulation be frozen until recovery? Personally think freezing is the lessor of 2 evils, and will be much more directly beneficial now. People would only have to worry about feeding/medicating them selves until they can get back to work, instead of worrying about rent/utilities/loans etc. The payments should be suspended along with accrued interest. Once things normalize people go back to normally scheduled payments and interest accrued. I am saying across the board freeze too, meaning business loans, landlord mortgages also. Not just individuals.

Of course I realize this would be a financial loss overall, but we won't be borrowing from our future, I think it would be much less of an impact than printing more money we don't have sort of scenario. And it would be equal across the board to all people, rich and poor.
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 14:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it's being estimated that the Phase 3 bill is coming in at 2.2T with zero offsets. So that's 2.2T going on the deficit, which is really unfathomable. And both sides are saying Phase 4 is happening, so..fiscal conservatives must be imploding. It will takes decades to pay it down.
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 14:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

They are also saying Phase 4 will have more stimulus checks, more money for States, it could be half the size of Phase 3 and still be a massive bill.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 14:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it's being estimated that the Phase 3 bill is coming in at 2.2T with zero offsets. So that's 2.2T going on the deficit, which is really unfathomable. And both sides are saying Phase 4 is happening, so..fiscal conservatives must be imploding. It will takes decades to pay it down.
Yea that's what I am saying, seems like less of a hit if flat out 'no one' gets to make money during this period instead of cashing checks for money we do not have just to make corporations still get their money on time come hell or high water.
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 14:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

People have bills to pay. Some things have been suspended but not all. Companies that are closed have to pay rent, that alone is a big check.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 14:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea that's what I am saying, seems like less of a hit if flat out 'no one' gets to make money during this period instead of cashing checks for money we do not have just to make corporations still get their money on time come hell or high water.
Maybe a mixed effort. Freeze all loans and credit payments. Freeze rent payments and the stock exchange. But also give some money to people so they can afford food, meds, and utilities. Then in the future, anytime a company engages in stock buybacks, fine the living hell out of them. Use that money to repay the debt.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 14:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

All bills suspended, including business rent is what I am saying. Business can't run atm, their landlord should have to wait. Because that business will go right back to running in the same space once the all clear has sounded. No one can work, no one gets paid period. Half measures are kind of silly, obviously some are excepted because they have favor some how.

I think it is rediculous to be hearing about businesses going out of business or filing for bankruptcy because of mandated lockdowns. It seems more reasonable to me that expected payments like that be stopped until that workforce, who will be ready to get rolling, be able to expect their job will be there.

I don't know, bankrupting on business loans seems much worse than delaying them. Because if you don't force those companies to shutdown because things beyond their power prevent production, that is a total net loss if they never open back up and continue to make their payments. No payment < late payment.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-03-27 14:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I would honestly like to hear others' thoughts on bills, does the 'trump bux' seem reasonable? Or should all payment requirements/interest accumulation be frozen until recovery? Personally think freezing is the lessor of 2 evils, and will be much more directly beneficial now. People would only have to worry about feeding/medicating them selves until they can get back to work, instead of worrying about rent/utilities/loans etc.
It's actually more dangerous to "freeze" the economy than it is to have a stimulus.

The reason being that freezing payment requirements for most everything effects everyone, including those who are benefiting from the freeze in payment requirements at first. Most people do not see it that way because they only look at the short-term effects of what this policy does.

Let me put it to you in a way that's easy to understand:

1) Government freezes all payment requirements, as suggested above.
2) Companies who are paid for services rendered stop receiving income because of the mandated requirements, which in turn causes their obligations from being fulfilled (aka payroll stops because of no money, utilities stop, rent stops, even though the mandate also requires them from from making payments too).
3) While it was suggested that people use their money for food/medications, since the flow of cash goes from "everyone" to "specific industries, such as pharmaceuticals, medical services, and food services," then eventually (and a lot quicker than you would think) only those services would have the cash on hand, as the mandate also prevents them from using the income/money received from paying their bills that is part of the mandate (aka utilities, rent, payroll, etc.)
4) After this crisis is over with (and it will be over with), then you will have a lot of bills owed but a major portion of the nation's cash will be in the hands of the specific industries noted above.
5) Because of #4, it will crash the economic recovery because you cannot pay debt with debt, and those people outside of the receiving end will not receive money for services owed to them for a long time, there will be ramifications the size of the Great Depression for years to come.

It is better for the government to artificially stimulate the economy by the influx of cash than it is to mandate "freezing" payment requirements, because the mandate will also "freeze" payroll requirements too. Companies who do not receive income cannot pay their employees, and how do you expect those companies to stay in business if they cannot pay their employees?

This is literally the lessor of two evils. Even the influx of debt-ridden cash from the government is a bad idea, but it is the best the government can do right now. At least, give it to the people than it is to give it to specific corporations.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-27 14:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This is America;
Quote:
A 17-year-old boy in Los Angeles County who became the first teen believed to have died from complications with covid-19 in the U.S. was denied treatment at an urgent care clinic because he didn’t have health insurance
Quote:
The teen’s death has been removed from the official U.S. death toll, according to Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer
Quote:
There have also been allegations from health care workers in the U.S. that some covid-19 deaths aren’t being properly counted
https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of-covid-19-was-denied-treatment-because-1842520539
Quote:
number one in confirmed cases now despite inadequate testing
Sick of winning?
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-27 14:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
.... because you cannot pay debt with debt...
But isn't that exactly what happens with stimulus payments? Just stretching the debt much further along and down the road.

Everything you wrote does make sense, in an unfortunate sort of way, it's sort of a shame that debt has become so prevalent in business culture that it would cause that sort destruction.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-03-27 15:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

But isn't that exactly what happens with stimulus payments? Just stretching the debt much further along and down the road.
Yes, and that is a problem in of itself. But that is another topic that, well, for another time. I do agree that this stimulus is bad for this country, but in this case, the federal government is given two options: bad and worse. I rather they choose the bad option than the worse option.

it's sort of a shame that debt has become so prevalent in business culture that it would cause that sort destruction.
Debt in business is actually different than debt in government, and it all boils down to how each entity operates.

Companies live and thrive on profit, while government live and thrive on, well, governance. Government is a non-profit seeking entity, so debt is considered much worse with them than a company sees debt, because companies are expected to pay off the debt with future income, and nearly all do.

People really need to separate out both entities. Business is business, and governments are governments.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 129 130 131