Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 129 130 131

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2020-03-27 08:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
Shiva.Arislan said: »
You can be knocked over by a car and killed with a small percent chance, does that mean you never leave the house?

Now put everybody in your town in the middle of the road at once. Even if only a tiny fraction get hit by vehicles, it will quickly overwhelm the health system's ability to process the injured and it will lead to (many) preventable deaths/maimings.

This virus currently has no treatment or cure, so there's no getting out of the street unless you stay home. It's really not that complicated, but apparently some people can't put 1 + 1 together.

Neither does the flu, so we should lock every person in their houses for the rest of our lives forever because of it?

There is literally no one saying we should lock everyone up for the rest of their lives. *** nobody. It's just for a couple months so that we don't overwhelm the hospitals and people die from it. It'll be relatively mild if we take those steps for now, and then everything will be fine. But idiots like you are going to cause thousands, if not millions, to die, because you can't use logic and listen to people who know better than you.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Terlet Sangria 2020-03-27 08:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of people have it and don't even know they have it, I spoke to a doctor yesterday about another matter and he stated they are not allowed to see patients unless necessary because most people have no symptoms.

The point is, we are giving away all our civil liberties to a virus that is killing far fewer people than other things we deal with as part of a normal life.

If we do that, why do we not think the future will bring in the same for those too? Why not lockdowns for the flu next year? All the same arguments will be made and if you agree with this you're a hypocrite if you don't agree to that too. As for "people dying" people die all the time, from lots of different things. Cars kill people, ban all cars next?

The death rate should not equate to the destruction of all our civil liberties like this when the threat is to low, there needs to be an end in sight for these lockdowns.

This is either incredibly ignorant or callous beyond belief. Allow me to assume it's merely the former.

The "It's not any more dangerous than the flu!" bit is, at best, a wild misrepresentation of the facts. The problem is not that the specific symptoms are that bad in most people, it's that it is an order of magnitude more infectious. Combined with the fact that people are often asymptomatic for a week (or forever! we can't test enough to know for sure!) you get a disease that very quickly spreads to absolutely everyone without some kind of shift in policy.

Which means that even a <1% fatality rate kills millions by itself, to say nothing of the cascade effects; full hospitals and overworked/sick medical staff means other people die of other things that they would have survived otherwise.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-03-27 08:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I started backreading this thread after getting summoned, and HOLY ***.

I'm locking the thread, and I'm genuinely considering extending the anti-vax policy to this lunacy about the *** INSANE "oh it's not a big deal" crowd. You people are *** psychopaths.

If you're not familiar with the anti-vax policy, you can ask Lordgrim about it when his suspension is up.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-03-27 09:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm unlocking this thread, with the following caveat:

The old anti-vax rule about "anything that deliberately flies in the face of public health/science gets you nuked, no appeal" is in play for this.

Behave yourselves accordingly.
[+]
By Vishwambhari 2020-03-27 09:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You understand that more people die every year from the FLU and have for the past forever? these exact same arguments can be made next year to lockdown due to FLU and if we allow that this to go on long-term now it will never end. We will have more old and infirm people dying next year from the Flu and we will have the same shortage of ICU beds because medical advice has changed to now intubate people before they need help breathing as a preventative care measure, unless we then make the argument that their lives don't matter this will start again when last year nobody cared about the flu.

As a premise, it's still too early to discuss SARS-CoV-2 numbers, because we simply don't have the bigger picture yet. So take this with a grain of salt.

Many people die yearly from the flu worldwide, that's correct. The estimate is about 290000 to 650000 people dying from the flu yearly (Influenza A virus in 80% of the cases) (Iuliano et al. Estimates of global seasonal influenza-associated respiratory mortality: a modelling study. Lancet. 2018;391:1285-300. 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)33293-2).
It's ok to find this scary, but what does it really mean? It means that 0.008% of world population in 2017 died from the flu (mostly in sub-saharian africa, but i digress), and that's what we call a mortality burden: it gives us no data on how this people died, how many required hospitalization or intensive care, or even how many were infected in the first place.
In order to compare SARS-CoV-2 to Seasonal Influenza (which is what you are referring to as the FLU, but it's just a tiny part of the Orthomyxoviridae family) we need at least 3 sets of data: how easily they spread (R0), how easily they get you seriously sick (need of intensive care) and how easily they kill you (mortality/lethality rate).

How easily they spread.
The estimated R0 for the seasonal flu is about 1.3 (Biggerstaff et al. 2014. Estimates Of The Reproduction Number For Seasonal, Pandemic, And Zoonotic Influenza: A Systematic Review Of The Literature.), while estimated R0 for SARS-CoV-2 ranges from 2.4 to 6.5 (Di Wung et al. 2020. The SARS-CoV-2 outbreak: what we know DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2020.03.004). This means that SARS-CoV-2 is definitely more contagious (or extremely more contagious; like I already stated, we will need to look back at the numbers when we have the bigger picture). As a reference, R0 is the number of new infections a single infected patient can create.

How often they get serious.
In 2018-2019 italian’s biggest authority in public health (ISS) registered for the whole year 812 serious cases of seasonal flu, which required intensive care (205 of these died). The total number of influenza-like cases where 8072000 (https://www.epicentro.iss.it/ben/2019/luglio-agosto/sorveglianza-integrata-influenza-2018-19). This means only the 0.01% of those 8072000 required intensive care. As for SARS-CoV-2, the number of people currently infected in Italy is (estimated to be) 62013, of these 3612 are in intensive care right now, meaning roughly 6%. If you’re not familiar with what an intensive care unit is, 3612 people is an impressive amount. No, it’s not a regular hospital room/bed, look it up.

How easily they kill you.
It’s way too early to *** SARS-CoV-2 mortalty/lethality rate correctly. We’ll have to discuss about the case-fatality rate, which is good enough for our purpose. The case-fataliy rate is reported to be about 7.2% in Italy and 2.3% in China (Onder G, Rezza G, Brusaferro S. Case-Fatality Rate and Characteristics of Patients Dying in Relation to COVID-19 in Italy. JAMA. Published online March 23, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.4683). This is the single data that is more susceptible to bias, since it vastly depends on how many people you identify as SARS-CoV-2 positive (swab or ct scan, the latter having a better sensitivity): in Italy, at the moment, only people who show symptoms compatible with the disease are tested. Actually, not even every symptomatic person is tested (let alone a chest ct scan) unless they get hospitalized. I’m sure you could argue that, based on this, the whole data is meaningless, that we don’t know if it’s really worse than the flu. Well, no seasonal flu epidemic has challenged our hospitals like this in such a short amount of time. I’ve never seen so many bilateral pneumonias and, most importantly, I’ve never heard of undertakers having a month long queue for cremation.
For reference, the mortality rate for seasonal flu in 2017-2018 in the US was about 0.1%(https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html).
This is real, our people are dying, and for most of them, we don’t know how to help them. They die alone in an hospital bed, surrounded by people fully dressed in what looks like a space suit, who can’t even give them a smile because their face is fully covered. It is heartbreaking.
I hope you found this helpful.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 09:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No its not.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 09:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Viciouss said: »
No its not.
Pretty much is, but Daily Mail/The Sun/The Mirror/Daily Express/The Star are super trash.

Well we do hear bad things about the British press over here.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 10:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It still annoys me how far the media are going to scare people, check this news article:

"KILLER VIRUS" (technically it is but come on, that wording is ott)
"DISEASE" (technically it is but they know it's not a common term used in this context)
I'm amazed they didn't print blood splatters on the article too.

Regardless of how you see it, this kind of over the top scare mongering should not be happening when people are already scared out of their minds and thinking the are about to drop dead.
The "D" in coviD-19 literally stands for "Disease"
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 10:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No its not.
Stop being so tribal. All media lies. Their only job is to spark fear or outrage to generate clicks. The old days of a reporter investigating a story to get to the truth are over
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-03-27 10:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
No its not.
Stop being so tribal. All media lies. Their only job is to spark fear or outrage to generate clicks. The old days of a reporter investigating a story to get to the truth are over

I guess what we hear about the British press is true then.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 10:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

No its not.

I guess what we hear about the British press is true then.
Probably. But this also applies to CNN.
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
Server: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-03-27 10:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/27/822407626/mystery-in-wuhan-recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive?

It’s either legit or it’s sensationalism.

If everything in print is sensationalism, your problem might be cynicism.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-03-27 10:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/27/822407626/mystery-in-wuhan-recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive?

Really hope that isn't the case, the scenario in that story is frightening to say the least.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 11:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You're assuming I have a problem. I do not. Knowing that the media is not trustworthy just means I need to do a little more work to get the news. Unlike most people, I don't only read news from 1 side. Read it all, acknowledge the contradictions, and sort through it.
And if I see some sources being really outrageously bad (like promoting the use of fish bleach, then claiming someone else was promoting it after a person died), then I can use those sources to decide which contradiction is the wrong one.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 11:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Leosin said: »

Really hope that isn't the case, the scenario in that story is frightening to say the least.
I've seen this out of a few news sources. China started reporting this a while ago. You can't really trust much out of China, but sadly this might be true.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-03-27 11:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m leaning towards the false negative interpretation of that story. We don’t know the confidence levels of the tests they’re using.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 11:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I’m leaning towards the false negative interpretation of that story. We don’t know the confidence levels of the tests they’re using.
This is a very likely scenario as well.
 Shiva.Zerowone
Server: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-03-27 11:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You're assuming I have a problem. I do not. Knowing that the media is not trustworthy just means I need to do a little more work to get the news. Unlike most people, I don't only read news from 1 side. Read it all, acknowledge the contradictions, and sort through it.
And if I see some sources being really outrageously bad (like promoting the use of fish bleach, then claiming someone else was promoting it after a person died), then I can use those sources to decide which contradiction is the wrong one.

You’re assuming that because I posted after you my comment on cynicism was directed solely at you and not the thread/activity on this page in general.

If I wanted to directly address you I would quote you. Like I just did.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-03-27 11:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You’re assuming that because I posted after you my comment on cynicism was directed solely at you and not the thread/activity on this page in general.

If I wanted to directly address you I would quote you. Like I just did.
Fair enough
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 129 130 131