You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 97 98 99
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-03-01 15:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Malevolence+Trilling if you don't need the m.acc from the extra Malevolence. Or chatoyant, but I can't recall off the top of my head how the Iridescence worked.

This might be worth a shot... Thoughts on hard things like Halphas or Volte NMs?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-03-01 15:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

depends exactly on how much mab (including buffs) you have before factoring the dagger, but yes it can. with no other affinity the break point of them being equal is 340, you get 46 from wizard's roll. just adding up random junk gets you close. other rng will probably have augmented herc to make up the ~35 needed to break even. big reason i like trilling is not having to deal with random augs more than once for a dagger

46 wizard's roll
44 main hand malev
10 herc helm
42 carmine body
42 carmine hands
40 gyve legs
35 adhemar feet
13 neck
7 neck
10 ear1
4 tp bonus ear
10 dingir
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-03-01 15:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
Malevolence+Trilling if you don't need the m.acc from the extra Malevolence. Or chatoyant, but I can't recall off the top of my head how the Iridescence worked.

This might be worth a shot... Thoughts on hard things like Halphas or Volte NMs?
i wouldn't go out of my way to get it if you already have two strong malevolence, it can be better but it can also be a lot worse. it's situational and not a huge increase depending on the rest of your buffs and gear to begin with.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-03-08 15:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

A few Arcadian Jerkin +3 questions:

1) Was there ever testing to establish the proc rate for Arcadian Jerkin +3 occasionally turning Double Shot into Triple Shot? (and a slight tangent for our other friends in pew pew land, what about rate for COR relic hands Triple Shot > Quad shot?)

2) While it probably doesn't ever change any gearing decisions, for curiosity's sake... can relic body's Double->Triple proc effect still happen when Double Shot JA isn't active, from the Double Shots that occur from the body's Aug: Snapshot effect (1% per snapshot merit, even when DS isn't active)?

3) When relic body Double>Triple proc happens, AND you have Oshosi gear on... I assume the order of operations is to first calculate whether a multishot proc happens based based on Oshosi's Double Shot rate and not the lower Triple Shot % that helps our COR friends. And THEN the check for relic body chance to turn that Double into a Triple. But I don't recall seeing anyone confirm that for sure - anyone know?

In realistic application, I'm guessing there's not ever much argument for using Oshosi +1 body over Arcadian +3 in DS sets, but it popped into my head last night and I realized I didn't have a very evidence based background for that assumption. The thought was that maaaaybe there's some case for Oshosi +1's STP+10/DS+3% advantage making it more consistent to hit 1000+ TP from a single attack round with Double Shot proc (which would be at 90% proc rate with 5/5 Oshosi and JPs, or 84% with 4/5 and relic head). The STP would eliminate those rare times where you hit like 970+ TP on a double shot proc and can't WS (maybe using a less than optimal COR/Samurai Roll, for instance), and of course the slightly higher DS rate is also a perk.

My assumption is that any advantage probably doesn't make up for any TP overflow (and associated additional WS damage) from occasional Triple Shot procs via Arcadian body, but I don't have hard data to support that.

Personally, I'm generally an Armageddon user (thinking it might be time for me to R15 Anni though...), so I also care more about the actual white damage for when those sweet sweet AM3 crits happen. Which is why I really can't see myself giving up the double shot damage+ from relic body and Oshosi head (which is arguably lower priority than relic head for non-empy builds). But just curious about some RNG thoughts bouncing around in my brain.
[+]
 Asura.Mewwgoat
Server: Asura
user: mewgoat
By Asura.Mewwgoat 2020-03-08 17:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

hey all, a quick question, does the af legs need to stay on during the duration of sharpshot to keep the effect?
By Huehuehue 2020-03-08 20:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Mewwgoat said: »
hey all, a quick question, does the af legs need to stay on during the duration of sharpshot to keep the effect?

Nope, only need to equip while activating.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-03-09 14:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So call me crazy here; but are we getting more DPS on ranger melee than pew pew?

We are semi struggling with wave 2 boss using cor cor rng rng method and pew pew...

Should we be buff/debuff for magic and shoot... or melee? Or are we taking the wrong approach?

Thanks in advance.
By Huehuehue 2020-03-09 15:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So call me crazy here; but are we getting more DPS on ranger melee than pew pew?

We are semi struggling with wave 2 boss using cor cor rng rng method and pew pew...

Should we be buff/debuff for magic and shoot... or melee? Or are we taking the wrong approach?

Thanks in advance.

Both can be viable options with proper buffs and gear sets.

Ranged obviously offers a huge amount of protection to you, using elevation you can really expand on this.

You're statement of "Getting more DPS, but semi struggling" doesn't really provide insight into your situation.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-03-09 16:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Im trying to just focus on maximizing the ranger DPS (in a vacuum) without going down a rathole of the other bumps we experienced...

Assuming I have access to full cor/geo/bard buffs... Sounds like melee ranger could pull ahead?

this seems interesting.
By Demhar 2020-03-09 19:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 364974
finished putting together this set last night and only had a chance to test it at domain invasion... with some ridiculous numbers due to nature of the buffs...

For people who want to maximize dps...
This job was never designed for close distance combat. The game is at a state now where you can get creative with different type of builds. If you constantly going to get cap buffs then by all means go have fun with savage blade. When you get tired of it, put up velocity shot, stand back and shoot away. It is more of a flexibility and stands out in some situations.
[+]
By Huehuehue 2020-03-10 07:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like melee ranger could pull ahead?

No.

Both can be viable options.

***is situational.

Both Melee TP and Ranged TP have their strengths and there are countless variables that could make one more optimal for you or for your party/alliance.

Zone, Mob, Buffs and Gearsets etc could all play a factor in to what will "pull ahead" for you.

We are semi struggling with wave 2 boss using cor cor rng rng method and pew pew....

All of the Wave 2 Bosses have been cleared many different ways including Melee, Ranged, Magical and Physical setups.

Without details of your situation and struggles, we can't really offer insight into what could work better for you.
[+]
By Demhar 2020-03-10 13:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

With the new UNITY augment systems seems like this is going to be solid option with +46MAB at R15 for Trueflight/Wildfire unless you have a good herc legs augments. I'm looking forward seeing the Perun+1 R15 update (lets hope its not pet related >..<)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-03-10 13:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

They're not better. Herc has 32 AGI, if you're super lucky 35mab and 4wsd that's 47 MAB. but with herc you also get macc. I'm not wearing something with literally 0macc endgame.

Augury: 27 agi, 46 mab, 0 macc
Herc: 32 agi, 35+ mab, 30+ macc, 4stp for overflow

Like he said though. Someone struggling with decent augs on pants then Augury is next best option
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-03-12 12:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Imperial wing hairpin with augs. Wonder how that will do with Jish now.

34 Dex, 10 crit hit rate
Vs
Adhemar bonnet
33 dex (?) 6 crit hit dmg, ratt 36
By Demhar 2020-03-12 15:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Outlawbruce said: »
Imperial wing hairpin with augs. Wonder how that will do with Jish now.

34 Dex, 10 crit hit rate
Vs
Adhemar bonnet
33 dex (?) 6 crit hit dmg, ratt 36

I'm looking into that as well. Hope this weekend I'll have time to do some tests.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-03-12 16:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless RNG is starving for Crit Rate, Adhemar’s Damage should win.

I can’t remember exactly, it’s been ages since I’ve used bow, but I don’t remember the Crit Rate being terrible.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-03-12 23:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Yandaime said: »
Unless RNG is starving for Crit Rate, Adhemar’s Damage should win.

I can’t remember exactly, it’s been ages since I’ve used bow, but I don’t remember the Crit Rate being terrible.

I believe set as is:
27 crit dmg (I wish dead aim worked on ws)
39 crit hit rate (with merits)

Imperial wing
21 crit dmg
49 crit hit rate

I went a little off memory here. So feel free to correct me.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-03-18 09:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Outlawbruce I borrowed this set from you for sake of discussion.

ItemSet 371021

Which mobs are you guys using this sort of setup on for maximizing DPS?
 Asura.Biglovin
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2020-03-18 11:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

They're not better.I'm not wearing something with literally 0macc endgame.

This is exactly right. Anyone who does W3 or that tier content with ranger will never use a piece with 0 m.acc.
 Asura.Aerox
By Asura.Aerox 2020-03-18 12:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Biglovin said: »

This is exactly right. Anyone who does W3 or that tier content with ranger will never use a piece with 0 m.acc.

Swapped out carmine hands for Malignance for just this reason.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-03-18 13:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aerox said: »

Are malignance > herc for trueflight?
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-03-18 13:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 371021

I definitely can't take credit. Thorny and others here mentioned it. Just never heard anyone testing it. I personally use KC main hand, Nusku shield sub. Warrior and Drg sub both mentioned within the last few pages. I personally liked Drg for jumps. Because you'll steal hate. The amount of trueflights going off on a NM is ridiculous

To use this, you need a lot of buffs to make it worthwhile. I have 2 bard alts and a cor. Also had a sch and geo in the party. Got to do whatever it takes to make up for loss of two mal daggers. Our blm was casting burn to lower INT. Geo would use Geo-agi on NMs, trash mobs geo-malaise.

Honor March, Victory march, Swift Etude, quick etude, sword madrigal, blade madrigal, valor minuet IV, V (minuets to help not hit for 0). With mainly blm, cor, rng. We can kill way faster than an alliance of physical DDs.
It really does rely heavily on support. So unless you can get it and your LS doesn't care. It works amazingly.

I can't speak for wave2 bosses. We stood out of range and killed at range. Same for wave 3 mobs. I dont know how well acc holds up. All of wave 1 and 2 are a joke and accuracy isnt a issue.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-03-18 13:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 371021

I definitely can't take credit. Thorny and others here mentioned it. Just never heard anyone testing it. I personally use KC main hand, Nusku shield sub. Warrior and Drg sub both mentioned within the last few pages. I personally liked Drg for jumps. Because you'll steal hate. The amount of trueflights going off on a NM is ridiculous

To use this, you need a lot of buffs to make it worthwhile. I have 2 bard alts and a cor. Also had a sch and geo in the party. Got to do whatever it takes to make up for loss of two mal daggers. Our blm was casting burn to lower INT. Geo would use Geo-agi on NMs, trash mobs geo-malaise.

Honor March, Victory march, Swift Etude, quick etude, sword madrigal, blade madrigal, valor minuet IV, V (minuets to help not hit for 0). With mainly blm, cor, rng. We can kill way faster than an alliance of physical DDs.
It really does rely heavily on support. So unless you can get it and your LS doesn't care. It works amazingly.

I can't speak for wave2 bosses. We stood out of range and killed at range. Same for wave 3 mobs. I dont know how well acc holds up. All of wave 1 and 2 are a joke and accuracy isnt a issue.

I'm currently leaning towards wave1/2 bosses are pew pew and the fetters will be melee savage.
 Leviathan.Mcdonalds
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Mcdonalds 2020-03-18 13:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aerox said: »

Are malignance > herc for trueflight?

No.
Malignance gloves have 50macc
Carmine gloves 42mab 0 macc

So it's possible that Malignance gloves might be better in wave 3 for not getting resisted.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-03-18 15:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

This recent line of discussion brings up a HUGE point of contention for many of us who love our rangers.

"Best" is a word tossed out in this game all the time, but there is absolutely NO WAY you can use that term with any reliability!

"Best" meaning maximum damage in a zero resist situation?

"Best" meaning most reliable, stable damage across any level of resistance you face?

"Best" meaning easiest to reach good numbers without dealing with augment hell?

The word best in this game needs to be completely eliminated. Situations and environments matter, often matter more than raw damage numbers and direct "slot to slot" comparison. Sometimes its impossible to say "are XXX hands better for this weaponskill build than YYY hands".

A much safer way to approach such things would be to discuss "thresholds"- how much acc/racc/macc does one need to reliably hit full damage numbers on specific content? And once you have hit that threshold, how much damage related gear can you add in to boost those numbers without losing that reliability? And then once that is answered, what mix of TYPES of damage boosting gear gives the best results? MAB over WSD? +PDL over ratk? AGI over STR?

Its the current meta of people seeking some magical gearset that is always best that ends up in limited results and limited understanding. You'll always be better off understanding WHY certain gear is considered good than just seeking some shopping list. Because if you understand the "why", then you can cater your sets to be YOUR best even if you're missing that one magical piece of gear- you can alter the set based on the gear options you have rather than just be missing something.

I find this subforum to be much more open-minded to such things and unique builds than some other job subforums full of fanboys. So let's keep it up, help out our fellow pewpew'ers, and be very clear about the scenarios posted sets are good for, and where certain sets lack that punch.
[+]
 Asura.Aerox
By Asura.Aerox 2020-03-19 11:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

My current TF set has a lot of MAB from herc aug so where i feel i'm lacking is the macc and i've yet to get good macc aug on herc. Malignance hands also have more Agl than herc which is something else to consider.

sets.precast.WS['Trueflight'] = {

head={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'"Mag.Atk.Bns."+30','"Store TP"+3','Mag. Acc.+14 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+14',}},

body="Carmine scale mail +1",
hands="Malignance gloves",
legs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Pet: Haste+1','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+28','Accuracy+19 Attack+19','Mag. Acc.+19 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+19',}},
feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'"Cure" potency +3%','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+24','Magic burst dmg.+10%','Accuracy+2 Attack+2','Mag. Acc.+18 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+18',}},
neck="Scout's Gorget +2",

waist="Eschan Stone",
left_ear="Friomisi Earring",
right_ear="Moonshade Earring",
right_ring="Dingir Ring",
left_ring="Weather. Ring",
back={ name="Belenus's Cape", augments={'AGI+20','Mag. Acc+20 /Mag. Dmg.+20','AGI+10','Weapon skill damage +10%',}},
}

I'm sure there are more improvements i can make but this does me really well on Wave 2 and 3. (ofc obi swap for that tasty aurastorm 2)
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-03-19 12:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

FYI a semi decent augment on leyline gloves can be a placeholder until you get a good aug on Herc. Malignance are a tough sell due to not having any matk. That's really rough to deal with if you're adamant on not using Carmine +1 in that slot due to no macc.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-03-19 17:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Malignance gloves: 24 AGI, 12 STP, 0MAB, 50MACC
Carmine: 12 AGI, 6 STP, 42MAB, 0MACC
Herculean: 8 AGI, ~30MAB, ~30MACC

I play too many jobs and forget a lot of information I read. So correct me if I'm wrong here. 1AGI=0.8MAB ?

Malignance gloves: 12 STP, ~13MAB, 50MACC
Carmine: 6 STP, 51MAB, 0MACC
Herculean: ~36MAB, ~30MACC

The 6 more STP from Malignance probably wouldn't be so bad for TP overflow.
Just pray for some sweet dark matter augments on herc lol
 Odin.Bluemule
Server: Odin
user: bluemule
By Odin.Bluemule 2020-03-22 22:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Just out of curiosity how much M.Acc is needed to not get badly resisted on Wave 3.

Current trueflight set has ~+180 M.Acc currently, obviously better herc augs should help, but even with Warlocks Roll, Entrust Focus, and Aurorastorm (only from sub SCH), Quick/Swift Etude, M. Stewpot, I was getting bad resists. I don't think Frazzle was being put up so I know that will help but what else can I do. I hear people talking about how good this setup is but just struggling to see how to get to that point.

Was RNG/DRG w/ K. Club and was doing between 2k to 35k trueflights and everything in between. Would /NIN be better to rock at least one malevolence?
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 97 98 99