Asura.Outlawbruce
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-02-04 18:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Oderic2 said: »
Will SE fix RNG in the year 2020? :X

As in, bow and crossbow. I just want to use acid bolts in group content. Is that so much to ask?

If you're using gastra. That's all I ever use is abrasion bolts for tping. There isn't much use in using anything else cause white damage sucks for gastra.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-02-05 23:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick little test on some apex mobs.

Chaos roll, sams, herculean etude, sinewy etude, min IV, V, honor march, victory march, blade madr, sword madr.

I didn't have a geo. Also I noticed my savage blade set wasn't right from quick glances at equipviewer. I'll have to check it later. I don't have a savage blade cape. (Again something I'm gonna check later. Probably using my coronach cape)

Cor averaged 26-35k
Rng kc,tp bonus bow, arrow 37k-48k. Only a couple times it spiked into the 50's.

Also because of the KC it left the Cor far behind in frequency. My tp set didn't have any dual wield in it. So rng's savage blade spamming is a little bit ridiculous, especially with proper gear and if there's a geo tagging along. I'm sure someone will come forward with proper numbers and such. That was just a super quick test. Didn't have time to jack with fixing sets or making a cape.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-02-06 00:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

which apex mobs? because you probably don't need two madrigals.
[+]
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-02-06 06:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
which apex mobs? because you probably don't need two madrigals.

Jagil, crabs

I didnt, It was just what i already had set in macros. Didnt really have time to change things around. I'll do some more playing with it later. Also will show sets of both jobs.
By Butcherb0y 2020-02-06 09:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Question. Back in 75 days when I played rng, the job got nerf with distance=dmg and distance=racc. Was this ever change back or still around for rangers?
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-02-06 09:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Butcherb0y said: »
Question. Back in 75 days when I played rng, the job got nerf with distance=dmg and distance=racc. Was this ever change back or still around for rangers?

Jesus that was so long ago. I remember the day it happened. You're looking at a whole different game now. Theres only 2 weapons where you'd really even care about white damage. And as far as RACC. Well I've never known a ranger to worry about ranged acc in today's game. Pretty sure ranger has the highest acc in the game or within the top 3.

Ranger now is more about the big WSs. That's how it competes with other jobs. I'm sure theres others here who can explain ranger today a lot better than I can.
By Butcherb0y 2020-02-06 09:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yes it was long ago. Short story on why I lvled mnk as well. Just hit 75 rnger, then the next day got the nerf hammer on that distance thing.

It was during sky farming was in a grp with a mnk, sadly with that nerf on my rng his monk was outdoing me in dmg, well fck time to lvl up mnk then lol.

Well the reason why I ask is how viable is it to use the Orpheus sash for WS on rng?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-06 10:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

On RNG it's not that big a deal, xbows and guns both have sweet spots that are fairly close to the mobs. For cor specifically, Orpheus is going to be bis most of the time outside of double dark weather. RNG the question is a little more muddled because typically they are standing at range, but if they're in melee range, it will win in the same type of senarios as cor.

If you're at range (> 15'), you may or may not see better numbers with sveltesse gouriz +1 or Skrymir cord +1 or eschan stone
By Butcherb0y 2020-02-06 10:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok awesome. Once my mnk is done which is not, my next job will be RNG. Just really imagining of using KC and O Sash at max close rng then Gastra WS.
By SimonSes 2020-02-06 10:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried Savage KC RNG yesterday on Dynamis Sandoria wave 1-2 (and one feather from wave 3). I had no accuracy issues with sublime sushi. TP generation was very high and when attack was capped (frequently it wasnt, because I was frequently killing trash mobs outside of geo bubbles) Savage was doing 45-58k on green statue mobs (so +25% physical damage bonus). 50k+ was very frequent because of high TP overflow.

I also had no acc issues on wave 2 boss and wave 3 trash (I had little issue on NIN NM, but didnt't have on WHM NM), but that doesnt tell much because I had SV songs up.

I was also a little gimped by full timing +2 neck (I was farming RP on it. Managed to get from rank 1 to 15). This is definitely a very competitive build.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-02-06 10:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Butcherb0y said: »
Ok awesome. Once my mnk is done which is not, my next job will be RNG. Just really imagining of using KC and O Sash at max close rng then Gastra WS.

Kclub is current the hot topic in this RNG forum. One of the few things recently that has truly spurned on debate and could possibly mean big changes to how RNG is played...or if nothing else, opens up new possibilities.

RNG's natural accuracy/ranged accuracy traits are really astounding compared to other jobs(Accuracy Bonus VI trait- a +73 acc/racc just for the job). Then, there are accuracy/ranged accuracy gifts from CP(another +70 acc/racc). Our main weaponry, Archery and Marksmanship are both A+ skills. And then there's Sharpshot, another +52 in racc that also breaks the accuracy cap of 95% for ranged attacks up to a staggering 99%. And we haven't even discussed gear yet.

All this adds up to rarely need ranged accuracy buffs except for a)extremely high level targets or b)physical ranged weaponskills, which by the nature of gear choices have much lower ranged accuracy in them than your standard shooting set. But even in these cases, one rarely needs to beg for a ton of racc buffs. Something as simple as Honor March and maybe one Prelude usually more than covers it.

In terms of melee accuracy, all those traits/gifts/gear options sure to help counteract our abysmally low natural skill levels in things like Sword(D) and Club(E). Dagger and Axe aren't great either, but at least a B-. And its because of all those traits and gifts, in combination with current high acc gear like Malignance set that we can function outside of our primary role as "Damage Dealers from a safe distance".

Two most common options these days for this style are either to melee and then use magical weaponskills at close range (Trueflight, Wildfire) or to melee with the intent of abusing Weaponskill Damage gear options and use Savage Blade. A good start to properly using these options and what it takes to make them viable has been happening on the past 2-3 pages, and is worth looking back at.

Best of luck joining the ranks of the Pewpew club. There's a TON of ways to play the job, and you needn't have every option available to you from day one. You can get good in 1-2 areas of DD'ing on RNG, then expand your choices as you build sets and weaponry to allow. And welcome back!
[+]
By Aerison 2020-02-06 10:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I tried Savage KC RNG yesterday on Dynamis Sandoria wave 1-2 (and one feather from wave 3). I had no accuracy issues with sublime sushi. TP generation was very high and when attack was capped (frequently it wasnt, because I was frequently killing trash mobs outside of geo bubbles) Savage was doing 45-58k on green statue mobs (so +25% physical damage bonus). 50k+ was very frequent because of high TP overflow.

I also had no acc issues on wave 2 boss and wave 3 trash (I had little issue on NIN NM, but didnt't have on WHM NM), but that doesnt tell much because I had SV songs up.

I was also a little gimped by full timing +2 neck (I was farming RP on it. Managed to get from rank 1 to 15). This is definitely a very competitive build.
Were you just using the generic TP set like on the front page or did you do some acc swaps?
By SimonSes 2020-02-06 11:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I was using the set I posted few pages ago (beside neck I mentioned).

Asura.Arico said: »
Sure, but imo the combo of Kraken and Malignanace is whats gamebraking for savage build on rng. That arrow is cherry on top.

So you just go full Malignance and offhand a kclub?

Well probably something like this:
ItemSet 370563

Big advantage of this set beside synergising extremely well with MA on KC is that it has 41%PDT and massive meva. Staying in melee range on RNG with this set is much safer than expected from such fragile job (also not intentionally, but it also has +46 Subtle blow with /nin). Also if you go for pure KC build with shield, using ranged WS, TP gain is ridiculous (frequently above 1000TP per round and sometimes you can jump to like 2000TP after WS in one attack round). With Sword in main hand the TP gain is less crazy, but still huge. Sword also boost accuracy significantly. Im super busy with mules now, because of dM campaign, but next month I will go back to making Gastra and I'm looking forward to testing it with KC :)
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-02-06 14:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odr+Olseni+cape 3 STP (clearly you have 10 DW on cape)

I plan to change mine to:
cape+supp+Reiki Yotai 14 STP. One over cap on DW. Only losing like 15 acc? I forget the sword skill amount on supp. Shouldn't be too detrimental of a loss
By SimonSes 2020-02-06 15:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Outlawbruce said: »

cape+supp+Reiki Yotai 14 STP. One over cap on DW. Only losing like 15 acc? I forget the sword skill amount on supp. Shouldn't be too detrimental of a loss

Sword skill wont help your accuracy with Kraken CLUB tho :)
But the more important thing is that RNG cant wear Reiki Yotai :) (I know it because that was my initial idea too, before I corrected it :P)
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-02-06 16:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Outlawbruce said: »

Sword skill wont help your accuracy with Kraken CLUB tho :)
But the more important thing is that RNG cant wear Reiki Yotai :) (I know it because that was my initial idea too, before I corrected it :P)

Ah! I was gonna update my XML with it lol. Probably would have taken me awhile to realize it was switching in. Good call. Then DW cape it is lol
By Afania 2020-02-07 10:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
is it really the best option for your party or alliance
this is the important take away with all non-ilevel weapons. people worry about that 5% dps using TP bonus offhands and ***when they're probably wasting acc buffs to compensate for one member. i'd rather ditch the acc buffs, use a better offhand and use defensive buffs instead. i'll still clear the content, only easier, instead of a few minutes faster

I've been doing ambuscade/dyna wave 1/2 for years on melee cor and double acc song almost always outperform 1 attack 1 acc song.

Attack is *** easy to cap in these content and not even useful if I'm using leaden but TP speed/wsd lose with just 1 acc song is utterly obvious.

It makes more sense to advocate real DD using TP bonus/KC builds as often as possible so everyone one takes advantage of 2 acc songs.

I prefer to make my own pt so I don't buy that "hey what if your pt don't use acc buff" sort of thing. I prefer to see DD with TP bonus ready when they are invited if their jobs optimal build needs it, so I'm going to yell "tp bonus/KC is a good thing" whenever I can for the sake of better pt performance.

If I need defensive buffs, I'd sacrifice an indi bubble or entrust bubble before I touch a song slot for it, or use tank pt geo in alliance content. Bubbles are better than songs for defense most of the time anyways, and they don't hinder DPS if you put them in tank pt.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-02-07 12:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe your server is different, but i've had to tell brds to use march over acc songs in my pick up groups, even when i make the group, because of "stacking acc only" mentality everyone has. an extra 45 acc i don't need for an extra 120 attack i could need, or even a carol or scherzo in some ambuscades is a lot better than one idiot trying to use the wrong offhand given the situation. i'll also kick anyone using a kraken club in most ambuscades as well, if it's detrimental given the situation.

people don't look at the situation and think "bis" is applied everywhere
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-02-07 13:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

don't forget minne for ones with strong physical multihits

maxing dps is a math question, not (usually) the most practical way to run a group
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-02-07 13:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It was once said to me, years ago, that the way JP players design large-scale events is quite different than the way NA players do. Often, NA players are looking to maximize the DPS/parse results, so a focus on reaching an accuracy threshold then stacking attack-related buffs is the direction taken, be it physical or magical attack. We focus our GEOs on a Fury/Frailty standard setup, bards are there to cap haste and give attack...accuracy if its a MUST. And CORs are there for a predictable Chaos/Sam or Wizard/Sam setup. Survivability is achieved through hard working mages and gear.

Its a model that works for us, but does place a larger requirement on gear that can both let people survive AND provide a good base of acc/atk/STP,etc. We go with the idea that the longer a mob lives, the more chances it has to kill you...and again, that model works.

But I was always told that JP large-scale setups are often more built around survivability than an overwhelming power to destroy something. Buffs more often include options like carols/minne or defensive bubbles, and COR rolls- while still primarily used for attack purposes, also can are varied more than typical NA groups to include options like subtle blow, +def or +meva. This allows the group to MANAGE a mob better through difficult times, and fights are as a result more paced and controlled vs our zerg mentality.

NEITHER is better. There are times where either idea is useful. But the message I took from that conversation years ago was that at the end of a day, a parse is a really bad tool to judge a group by. They're invaluable for measuring improvements in gear, alterations of buffs as needed, play style...but only on an individual basis. Just because my personal parse increased by XXX dps doesn't mean the party got better. Just because a win is possible in 4 minutes with an 70% success rate doesn't make it better than a 6 minute win with a 90% success rate.

I've adopted a mentality of first planning a setup that comes the closest to a guaranteed win, and then adding in more risk and power at the expense of safety to improve efficiency. You might not parse that AMAZEBALLZ dps, but the WHMs don't get burnt out as fast, the support isn't constantly "catching up", and there's less risk of having to hold something while recovery. Not to mention such an approach might be necessary just to win with various setups vs insisting on that perfect setup when it just doesn't make sense.
[+]
By Afania 2020-02-08 01:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe your server is different, but i've had to tell brds to use march over acc songs in my pick up groups, even when i make the group, because of "stacking acc only" mentality everyone has. an extra 45 acc i don't need for an extra

Sword madrigal is WAY more than 45

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Sword_Madrigal

It can get as high as 95 which is VERY significant.

Even without the none ilv offhand my WS set has close to 1000 acc because high wsd DM augments rarely comes with acc. Yes SB has +100 acc on 1st hit but whenever 2nd miss the ws avg and TP return drop is still noticeable.

Minne is not as good as Wilt. If I use Wilt then minne is no longer necessary.

I'd sacrifice an indi bubble or entrust for Wilt then keep that 95 acc, personally. That way I can ws in 63% instead of 50% or something.

I mean, I use defensive buffs all the time too, that doesn't mean I want to sacrifice DPS for it. Especially in ffxi faster kill speed=safer run.
By Afania 2020-02-08 02:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
It was once said to me, years ago, that the way JP players design large-scale events is quite different than the way NA players do. Often, NA players are looking to maximize the DPS/parse results, so a focus on reaching an accuracy threshold then stacking attack-related buffs is the direction taken, be it physical or magical attack. We focus our GEOs on a Fury/Frailty standard setup, bards are there to cap haste and give attack...accuracy if its a MUST. And CORs are there for a predictable Chaos/Sam or Wizard/Sam setup. Survivability is achieved through hard working mages and gear.

Its a model that works for us, but does place a larger requirement on gear that can both let people survive AND provide a good base of acc/atk/STP,etc. We go with the idea that the longer a mob lives, the more chances it has to kill you...and again, that model works.

But I was always told that JP large-scale setups are often more built around survivability than an overwhelming power to destroy something. Buffs more often include options like carols/minne or defensive bubbles, and COR rolls- while still primarily used for attack purposes, also can are varied more than typical NA groups to include options like subtle blow, +def or +meva. This allows the group to MANAGE a mob better through difficult times, and fights are as a result more paced and controlled vs our zerg mentality.

NEITHER is better. There are times where either idea is useful. But the message I took from that conversation years ago was that at the end of a day, a parse is a really bad tool to judge a group by. They're invaluable for measuring improvements in gear, alterations of buffs as needed, play style...but only on an individual basis. Just because my personal parse increased by XXX dps doesn't mean the party got better. Just because a win is possible in 4 minutes with an 70% success rate doesn't make it better than a 6 minute win with a 90% success rate.

I've adopted a mentality of first planning a setup that comes the closest to a guaranteed win, and then adding in more risk and power at the expense of safety to improve efficiency. You might not parse that AMAZEBALLZ dps, but the WHMs don't get burnt out as fast, the support isn't constantly "catching up", and there's less risk of having to hold something while recovery. Not to mention such an approach might be necessary just to win with various setups vs insisting on that perfect setup when it just doesn't make sense.

So many people missing the point here.

I came from JP community since I was in Jp endgame group for years, and I use defensive bubbles in most of my ambu runs too. So it's not like I completely ditched defense for offense.

My point is that using acc song brings more benefits than other songs most of the time. It's easy to cap attack in ambuscade, which makes attack songs worthless. Geo bubbles are generally more powerful than brd songs for defense, so sacrifice 95 acc for defense songs makes no sense too.

It makes no sense to use fury/frailty 2 March 1 madrigal 1 min because your attack will be way over the cap with this setup.

It also makes no sense to use fury/frailty entrust fury 2 March 1 madrigal 1 minne because it's worse than Wilt/frailty 2 March 2 madrigal.

And any setup without 2 madrigal makes blu dnc thf melee rng nin less competitive v.s war drk Sam because all these 1h DD get a much stronger with a none ilv offhand.

So it makes more sense to use a set up that's mathematically superior AND allows more jobs to take the DD slot.

If you are not capping pdif without attack songs then the 1st thing you should be doing is dia2+light shot and def- ws. If you can cap attack without attack songs what's the point to use them?

Shiva.Thorny said: »
don't forget minne for ones with strong physical multihits

maxing dps is a math question, not (usually) the most practical way to run a group

That's why it's better to use Wilt for defense but keep madrigals. You CAN get max dps AND defense.

I mean, I prefer to let people come jobs that needs non ilv offhand to keep up like 1h DD and RNG. 2 madrigals or bust lol.
By SimonSes 2020-02-08 04:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally support Afania's idea that general approach should be to use 2 madrigals to let more DD job in. Also it's kinda logical to drop minuet to let DNC use centovente offhand when DNC brings -23% def down debuff, that is several times more potent than minuet.

That being said in the end its party leader call and I underatand some people will not only build party around 0-1 madrigals but also for example without Chaos roll, because they build party setup around WAR for example.
By Afania 2020-02-08 08:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally support Afania's idea that general approach should be to use 2 madrigals to let more DD job in. Also it's kinda logical to drop minuet to let DNC use centovente offhand when DNC brings -23% def down debuff, that is several times more potent than minuet.

That being said in the end its party leader call and I underatand some people will not only build party around 0-1 madrigals but also for example without Chaos roll, because they build party setup around WAR for example.

I'm not 100% convinced that dropping a chaos roll to boost WAR dps outweight the benefit of getting 2 madrigals too. Since chaos roll is extremely potent and it's still tough for DD RUN COR BRD to cap pdif. But that's another discussion.

I mean, it's entirely possible that a pt invited a brd cor run that can't DD at all and ended up buffing one single 2h DD because that's the optimal choice for that pt. But I don't think that has anything to do with the point that some others bringing up here.

People use "We need defense buff" or "BiS doesn't apply everywhere" or "whm can't keep up" when they try to argue against 2 madrigals which are irrelevant to the points that support 2 madrigals.

Ironically, if I have a full BiS pt with top tier players I wouldn't care if set up is optimized or not. Since the pt can still win easily even if they go with something ridiculous like DDx1 leech x3 geo rdm.

But if my pt has a 4 returning players including 1 50 JP SAM using escha gkt and a "whm that can't keep up" then it makes more sense to optimize pt DPS with better buff organization so entire pt kill faster with lesser geared DD, which brings less burden on whm too: the faster a pt kills the easier it is for whm to keep up.

So when people try to associate the idea of using 2 madrigals with some kind of elitist movement or epeen with parses, or brought up "NA mentality" I can't help but feel frustrated because all the points were missed. People just assumed 2 madrigals is a "setup for elitists/cool people" when in fact it's the opposite.
 Asura.Aburaage
By Asura.Aburaage 2020-02-13 15:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Man Gandiva is ridiculously good for this month's ambu, I was able to solo break the shield with AM3/Jishnu. Anni for Imps/Gandiva for boss gg
[+]
 Fenrir.Cassey
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cassey 2020-02-18 09:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

A thought for Jishnu set. I replaced my Sherida Earring + Begrudging Earring for Beyla Earring + Mummu Ring.

Sherida Earring + Begrudging Earring
DEX+5, STR+5, STP+5, Crit.Hit+5, Enmity+5
VS.
Beyla Earring + Mummu Ring
AGI+8, DEX+8, R.ACC+21, Crit.Hit+3, Enmity-8

The -13 Enmity really helps on JR spam vs the +5. And its a decent R.ACC boost on a ws set that is low on R.ACC. Also, you won't notice the -2 Crit.Hit as much.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-03-01 13:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Good Afternoon Folks!

Are dual malevolence still BiS for trueflight? This is in regards to wave 2/3 boss fights in Ddyna.

Thanks in advance.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-03-01 13:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Malevolence+Trilling if you don't need the m.acc from the extra Malevolence. Or chatoyant, but I can't recall off the top of my head how the Iridescence worked.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2020-03-01 15:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the 10% light damage actually beat out the 44 MAB on Male? Never actually considered Trilling but that's pretty interesting tbh.
First Page 2 3 ... 24 25 26 ... 97 98 99