Ambuscade Volume 1 - October 2018
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2018-10-15 16:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I know the threshold on D was closer to 44k than 50k it happened a few times. We do blm>boss>adds run/blu tanking with foil and abilities for hate reset. We tried sleeping adds before but leaving them on tank is usually easier all around since our geo couldnt land sleep without frazzle and it seems immune to brd sleep.

We also found using 2 buffed RUN/sam with unda as DD spamming reso or dimidatition with either epeo or lionheart made for smoother fights because we were 98% immune to amnesia which kept hitting us on blu-sam-dnc-thf dds for 30-40sec with baramnesia on.

Its taking 12-16min on D without an idris geo or aeonic brd could prob get it down to 10m with both.
run(tank) runx2dd geo brd whm setup atm
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2018-10-15 16:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There are two AoE's you need to pay attention for. Croc which is 30 feet and Galumph which is like 15 feet. Galumph can hit hard as hell but it's reduced range means the healer is fine, Croc with it's ridiculous range hits everyone and usually catch's healers by surprise.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-15 16:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of, windower update probably pushed the proper tp move names
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2018-10-16 17:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Can confirm 40k is the real threshold in VD for lvl up, NOT 50k.
[+]
By Aleous 2018-10-16 21:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If your desperate and unable to find the preferable party setup for this month was able to Safely do D Intense with Pld(Tank), Cor, Cor, War(DD), Brd, Whm. 20+ min fight but we were never in any danger from any tp moves. Cor's rolled Samurai, Chaos, Gallant, and Magus. Never dripped below yellow HP from any tp move.
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2018-10-17 15:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure why he didn't post it in this thread, but Ejin made a video for clearing Ambuscade this month. Abusing Soul Voice and resetting the BRD with party rotating Wild Card at the moogles or MMM works quite well. Though I feel the DPS check is pretty high for VD to cause it to be locked in Edict and you have to be careful not to SC at start causing a level up. Also feels like you need a very solid tank (full phalanx for 0 damage hits, good enmity control for frequent resets) or have adds slept so they don't build enough TP to hit you with their AoEs which can mess up your party pretty bad. For D though this setup makes it easy even if your damage isn't quite there for VD.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By likard 2018-10-17 15:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like there is something else going on for VD. I went with a party where we did shadows to mitigate the super aoe damage with wilt and valation/valiance and still got spikes of 2.8k damage to whole party for insta wipe. My geo was sitting in -35% dt and got hit for 2.7k more than once.

This video no one uses shadows to mitigate and the super aoe never hurts. I know as the geo I 100% had wilt up 100% of the time. (I assume wilt >> barrier due to percentiles-71 % of boss attack being bigger than +86% of player defense) . Were the bards/whm just spamming slow and paralyze to keep the boss dispelling rather than using super move? I know rune can't 100% mitigate the galumph move either.

Is there something else going on to mitigate the super aoe that I am missing?
 Bismarck.Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2018-10-17 16:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

likard said: »
I know as the geo I 100% had wilt up 100% of the time. (I assume wilt >> barrier due to percentiles-71 % of boss attack being bigger than +86% of player defense)

From what I've heard debuffs on NMs can be reduced in potency down to as little as 25% effectiveness. Would include GEO debuff bubbles.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2018-10-17 16:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

^

Yeah, I have been Indi-Barrier + Geo-fury because of the potency reduction. Seemed to be more effective with the debuff bubble penalty this month?
By likard 2018-10-17 16:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried Barrier and Wilt and from my small sample size of 3 failed runs and 1 win, wilt yielded the lower damage (more 900 hits vs 2800). I do remember word that geo spells had reduced effect on Dynamis mobs and bosses. I suppose it all depends on when the -penalty is applied then. I can't actually find a refernce for anything except dynamis for -potency.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-17 17:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres really no info to find. It's just that geo is so broken instead of fixing the problem they pick and choose which mobs/battles are -50% and which ones are immune (frog).
By Staleyx 2018-10-17 17:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I would spam elegy on brd mule while tanking to keep it erasing itself instead of jumping.
By Afania 2018-10-17 21:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like there is something else going on for VD. I went with a party where we did shadows to mitigate the super aoe damage with wilt and valation/valiance and still got spikes of 2.8k damage to whole party for insta wipe. My geo was sitting in -35% dt and got hit for 2.7k more than once.

This video no one uses shadows to mitigate and the super aoe never hurts. I know as the geo I 100% had wilt up 100% of the time. (I assume wilt >> barrier due to percentiles-71 % of boss attack being bigger than +86% of player defense) . Were the bards/whm just spamming slow and paralyze to keep the boss dispelling rather than using super move? I know rune can't 100% mitigate the galumph move either.

We were dying left and right the other day in VD using same buffs as Ejiin, so we just changed 1 song to scherzo, and no more death. Some say it wouldn't work but from my experience scherzo did worked. 7ish min runs including buff time.

Shadow is meh this month since they got wiped way too often and doesn't seem to block much. So I stopped bothering with it so I don't lose dps casting them. I just swap to hybrid set anytime def- debuff is up or HP in yellow.

Since our pdif was so low this month(we were noticeably underbuffed compare with Ejiin video) I think /dnc is better for cor. We also tried to open with full break/infernal scythe on boss for surviability.
[+]
 Shiva.Larrymc
Server: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2018-10-18 05:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There is something else going on in this video:
The reason why they take no damage from AoEs is because the main boss *never* uses an AoE the entire fight. Why? Because every 5% of health that the main boss loses, it will automatically use Sovereign's Edict. Edict puts up a 15 second magic shield and activates the 1 hours of the adds - but does no AoE damage. They are killing it so fast in the video that the main boss is locked in Sovereign's Edict spam the entire fight.
The run tank is dishing out 30-38k resolutions, and the cor (savage blade) and sam are dishing out 20-38k ws as well non stop. Because Sovereign's Edict is up 100% of the time, the mob has a magic shield at all times which ensures that skillchain damage is always zero so they stay under the 40k damage threshold.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2018-10-18 06:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The video makes a whole 'lotta sense. Since there haven't been many groups forming on my current server, I've been soloing VE on DRK when bored and locking the Boss into Edict is a pretty solid strategy. Also, it's funny because a page ago I suggested the threshold for level up was less than 50K and was dismissed for saying it, but whatever. Cheers and good luck all.
 Bismarck.Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2018-10-18 12:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Just going to mention another strategy I've done with JPs that is sort of a guaranteed win on VD with mages, but it takes a long time (~20+ minutes). RUN GEO SCH BLM SMN BRD.

RUN super tanks everything with some light healing support from the GEO BLM BRD SMN and Regen V from SCH. Foil as needed to regain hate. Since it dies so slow it's not exactly spamming out Edict hate resets. Our RUN subbed WAR.

SCH buffs at start with Perpetuance'd/Accession'd Thunderstorm2 and Regen V. Solo magic bursts a focalized Ionohelix2 (10k+ damage) on the NM making sure to reapply immediately after it wears so it's up full time. Gambit/Rayke can help here. Afterwards cycle bursted Ionohelix2 on the DRK and PLD, making sure to overwrite with a 0 damage Ionohelix2 when their HP gets low so they don't die before the NM. Make sure to Dispel/Frazzle the PLD and DRK before helix'ing, even a 3000+ helix will do sizable damage on them.

GEO did Indi-Focus and Geo-Malaise. GEO helps with sticking Frazzle on the BLM and NM. Makes sure to keep the BLM silenced always.

SMN alternates Mewing Lullaby and Regal Scratch on the BLM.

BLM helps put Frazzle on NM and BLM. Bio2 Burn Shock Choke are helpful to pile on the DoT (Our's only did Bio2 Burn so I'm not certain the other two will land, though Shock should). Thunder VI and V after each mewing. Can also try helping with Dispels.

BRD did Hmarch, Vmarch for everyone. Minne x2 for the tank. Ballad x2 for the mages. Though I don't think MP was that huge an issue, maybe an etude instead of a ballad would have been better. BRD can Requiem, Elegy, Nocturne the Regent and keep it dispelled with Magic Finale.

Overnuking can cause Regent to do a dangerous AoE move so take care if you do more than the 2 Thunders. After Regent is dead you can just finish off the DRK and PLD with a couple MB'd nukes and the SMN should make short work of the BLM with Volt Strikes.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-10-19 23:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Having issues with this months. Setting up pick ups ain't easy as there's a lot to do, and I like to do it with my dad who only has WAR available. Some suggest not to use a tank and bring a blu instead for sleep. I've got drk cor (savage) and rdm available. What's a good setup for spamming N or D?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-19 23:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You can do normal with literally anything, so long as the whm isn't hot garbage.
Take melee rdm so you can sleep and carry dps.
 Ragnarok.Lockfort
Server: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Lockfort 2018-10-20 00:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Use 3k full break and weapon break on boss when focusing on him.

I prefer having at least scherzo or geo barrier to prevent one shots on d and vd. If you can’t get either brd or geo, it’d be more prudent to just spam n.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-10-20 00:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Having issues with this months. Setting up pick ups ain't easy as there's a lot to do, and I like to do it with my dad who only has WAR available. Some suggest not to use a tank and bring a blu instead for sleep. I've got drk cor (savage) and rdm available. What's a good setup for spamming N or D?

There are no rigid job/weapon requirements this month. You just need:

1) Enough damage to not time out,
2) Enough defense to not get one-shot by Croctastrophy/Galumph,
3) Some way to deal with the hate reset on adds,
4) A WHM, any WHM.

Any DD job will work for this fight. You actually don't want to do more than 25-40k damage on any single WS (+SCD), so that actually discourages the usual suspects, and opens up the fight to jobs that can provide more than just DPS: BLUs, DNCs, NINs, melee CORs, RDM/NINs, etc. Empy Aftermath is also really nice to have this month. Steady damage is the name of the game... you want enough DPS to keep it locked into using Edict as much as possible, but not so much that you cause it to level up.

For defense, whether you use GEO (Barrier, Wilt), RUN (Flabra Valiance), BRD (Earth Carols, Minnes), Barstonra, COR (Gallant's Roll), Full break/Armor Break, Demoralizing Roar/Cocoon, or Aisha: Ichi, or some combo of the above, it doesn't matter. You just need some form(s) of defense/earth elemental+ up so AOE doesn't wreck everybody.

For the adds, you can either do the simplest thing and just bring a RUN and let them save Foil or JA's to snap adds back after edict. Or you can ask your GEO, RDM, BLU, etc to keep the adds slept, which renders the hate reset moot. Either way will work on D and below. VD requires a bit more macc.

And last but not least: I don't care what people are saying, Yagrush is completely optional. Even a meva set is optional for WHM. A run of the mill WHM using regular -DT set, Afflatus Misery, Esuna and Cura can do the fight just as well as a Yag WHM. I've done this fight w/ and w/o Yag -- it's virtually the same experience.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Staleyx 2018-10-21 18:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Try VD instead and just worry about resetting soulvoice so you have it for each fight. This is what Ive been doing with main group. Pugs different story though. Use scherzo only

Post deleted by User.
By geigei 2018-10-22 03:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Did only VD, pug, ls, mixed, the more defensive you go the worst, like others said, need enough dmg to force edict spam.

SV and bolster every fight, reset takes no time at all depending on cor's luck or 5min including jeuno trip.
WAR and DRK need to watch their reso, easy to spike over 40k, BLU and COR savage's are safe, my highest was 37k.
By Staleyx 2018-10-22 05:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If everyone doesn't suck but dust and has mmm reset its easy.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.