Ambuscade Volume 1 - October 2018
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2018-10-10 17:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Boss can still use Noblesse Oblige after BLM is dead but the threshold of damage appear to be higher now, about 50k from a single attack. It has 2m HP and 50% resistance on GEO debuffs.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By sharazisspecial 2018-10-11 11:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Been trying to pup burn this...

I have two questions that hopefully someone would be kind enough to answer.

1. Does /nin block all the physical aoe damage in this fight?
2. Does killing the paladin adds first make the boss stronger and tankier?
 Asura.Chaostaru
Server: Asura
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-10-11 13:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

something weird with how the mobs eva and dt works, on cor sometimes if miss every damn shot and ws in full racc gear then other times Id hit no issues in full stp gear, damage goes from craptastic to fantastic as-well randomly. attacking from front or back didn't seem to solve the weird issue. Unless they level down or something idk.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-10-11 13:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

sharazisspecial said: »
Been trying to pup burn this...

I have two questions that hopefully someone would be kind enough to answer.

1. Does /nin block all the physical aoe damage in this fight?
2. Does killing the paladin adds first make the boss stronger and tankier?

having 3 shadows up block alot of the aoe crap from distance at least but sometimes even with 3 shadows up it gets through and does like 1500+dmg. Its strange
 Phoenix.Fruitcup
Server: Phoenix
user: Fruitcup
By Phoenix.Fruitcup 2018-10-11 14:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone tried to sleep the adds with a form of BLU sleep and which dark spell, Since I'm assuming the light sleeps don't work.
 Phoenix.Tearxx
Server: Phoenix
user: Tearxx
By Phoenix.Tearxx 2018-10-11 14:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fruitcup said: »
Has anyone tried to sleep the adds with a form of BLU sleep and which dark spell, Since I'm assuming the light sleeps don't work.

Dream Flower worked for us. On our D runs we brought an RDM though to just sleep things. Frazzle helped a ton and didn't require ES or anything.
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2018-10-11 14:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

All adds including the BLM takes reduced damage when attacked from the front. It's shield block type reduction, they don't block when stunned or if you attack from behind.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-11 14:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Papesse said: »
All adds including the BLM takes reduced damage when attacked from the front. It's shield block type reduction, they don't block when stunned or if you attack from behind.

That explains alot it even works on ranged attacks (automatons at least)

Sidenote; *** velkk
Addendum; *** rollcors
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-10-11 15:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

idk back=/=front still takes reduced damage at somepoint and eva jumps high as ***too. never thought Id miss last month ambu..
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-11 15:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chaostaru said: »
idk back=/=front still takes reduced damage at somepoint and eva jumps high as ***too. never thought Id miss last month ambu..

Lamae are the easiest month yo. Everyone that hates that one is just terribad.

This one is my most hated (I was gone for Quads) everything about this one is miserable. Straight forward no effort but its just irritating.
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2018-10-12 01:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just tried this on D with a pug, seemed to level up everytime a skillchain happened even if it wasn't very strong (Edit: nevermind it wasn't Oblige just lots of Edicts, though damage seemed to be spiking at end if I got hit by an aoe like galumph). Also tried doing 4 steps but it would end up taking 0 damage outright from darkness or light after a certain point. Feels like avoiding skillchains as if it was Maju or Onychophora might be what's needed? Bit hard to maintain skillchain and shadows anyway. Wiped at 5% to a Galumph that did 2800+ damage after a regular attack wiped shadows before could get shadows back up. Setup probably wasn't ideal either PLD RUN THF BLU BRD WHM, no scherzo, just hmarch vmarch minne minuet.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Zart
user: zart
By Asura.Zart 2018-10-12 12:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

ffxiclopedia and bgwiki says that velk are generally weak to lightning
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
Server: Ragnarok
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2018-10-12 12:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Observations (some were already noted before):
-Mega boss uses hate reset every 5% if it has TP, but doesn't store it as a charge. The hate reset timing is animation based. When hate reset occurs, the adds will use their respective SP, and the mobs don't hate reset if they have their SP on.
-When adds are killed, every other remaining mob levels up.
-When BLM is killed, if you do 50k damage to mega boss in a single attack, it levels up.
-Secondary note to BLM being killed, it results in mega boss taking zero damage from skillchain (and magic?), but the damage is still calculated towards the 50k damage. For example, 49k WS -> 49k WS = 0 damage SC will make the mob level up, since the resulting skillchain likely brought total damage to 50k.
-Casts protect and shell, so use dispels/finale.
-All adds resist Drain III, but the mega boss does not.

My group found it easier to just have everyone group up after killing the BLM add and rely on GEO bubbles for defense, keeping stoneskin/blink up on the mages.

Yagrush WHM helps a lot, but is not a requirement. Afflatus Misery + Esuna and remedies will work fine, but everyone needs a decent level of magic evasion gear on D or higher. Jungle Hoodoo can be an issue due to the extreme potency of its paralyze effect.

We also favored PLD over RUN due to RUN relying more on applied buffs... but I think the difference is marginal if the player on RUN is well geared and skilled. Beginner RUNs will struggle a lot, whereas beginner PLDs can relax.

Adds should be left up as they will level up the mega boss making it much more evasive, however the BLM can cast death so it is advisable to either kill, silence, or sleep it. Additionally, if everyone stands close after the BLM is dead, it can be easy for a PLD/BLU to keep hate on the adds even after hate reset.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2018-10-12 15:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fruitcup said: »

I could not land dreamflower on VD with a fairly maxed out macc set
By sharazisspecial 2018-10-12 15:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Beat it on D with 5 pups 1 cor. Killed adds first, everyone subbed ninja. It went quite smoothly.
Tried VD but timed out with boss at 5% hp.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-10-12 22:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

sharazisspecial said: »
Beat it on D with 5 pups 1 cor. Killed adds first, everyone subbed ninja. It went quite smoothly.
Tried VD but timed out with boss at 5% hp.
Everyone overdrive?

Is this the fight that nm kills everyone if you out get bubble on it?

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-12 22:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've timed out multiple times on just D with asuran pups. This isn't like last month. You need much better than asuran quality to pull this one off.

Dramatically higher HP than lamae.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-12 23:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It can level up via too much damage, in addition to 1 forced level up after each add is killed.
By sharazisspecial 2018-10-12 23:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I've timed out multiple times on just D with asuran pups. This isn't like last month. You need much better than asuran quality to pull this one off.

Dramatically higher HP than lamae.

Yes there's alot of under-geared pups on Asura. Some didn't even have attuner before joining my Ambuscade party. Its a good idea to /check and ask if they have the right attachments.
Pup is one the easiest jobs to gear to be able to do respectable damage with imo.

5 decently geared pup and a cor who has a spell damage quickdraw set can beat D with plenty of time to spare.

Also did this with 4 pup 1 geo and cor but really needed overdrive to complete it. However the cor and 2 of the pups were under-geared.
For that strategy we pulled the two melee adds to the left top corner. The geo slept then and we focus fired each target adds>boss.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-12 23:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just attuner isnt going to make or break anything.

A solid chunk of pups damage comes from inhibitor/speedloader and the boss takes 0 damage from the majority of skillchains.

You need to change your entire setup to fit that

Also, killing adds first (pup setup basically has to do this) makes the boss even harder. All around a bad idea.
By sharazisspecial 2018-10-12 23:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The under-geared pups were doing as low as 2k arcuballista and well geared pups doing around 13k arcuballista on the same target.

Quote:
Also, killing adds first (pup setup basically has to do this) makes the boss even harder. All around a bad idea.

Well i'm sure like for everything there is an optimal cookie cutter job setup for this.
I've beaten it multiple times with pup burn on d difficulty and i will continue to do so on Asura.

Killing adds first to avoid annoying hate reset worked well for me.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-12 23:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Galumph is -25% attack that pups can't resist any not overdriving pup is going to feel that attack down

Attuner isnt a 9k damage attachment. 13k is an Su5 career pup with overdrive on
By sharazisspecial 2018-10-12 23:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
13k is an Su5 career pup with overdrive on

no...
I've done up to 17k daze to ambuscade d-difficulty level boss with overdrive and cor roll.
Haven't seen a fully augmented Su5 yet.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-12 23:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

CAM posted his pics from last time doing 8500 so.

Pup hasnt't seen any major gear attachment changes in the last year, except for relic+3 (and su5)
By sharazisspecial 2018-10-13 00:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

D- difficulty
Overdrive daze, no cor roll, no debuff or dispel
I do have rank 20 su4 though.