First Page 2 3 4 5
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-08 10:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Nah, they're just really anal. (I wonder if anal is filtered). They aren't allowed to use my blm anymore.

I can semi-understand their point, as it's all about the MP consumption and minimising the amount of time you need to rest. Since the majority of BLMs won't one-shot a statue, there will always be a second nuke needed from another one. It shouldn't take more than two Tier 4's to kill one, which makes AM2 on statues a waste of MP, as they can be killed with two Tier 4's.

However, I expect they didn't take the time to get that point across and just chose to shout at you and tell you not to do it instead. :)

That's a good call. I haven't played BLM in months now and it's pretty good. No danger of losing its buffer again at the very least.

By the way Aaroca, was only winding you up, lol.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-10-08 10:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It really depends on type of BLM you are and events you do constantly.

If you do an event that the nm is weak to fire and it's an event that you always do as blm, then get flare 2.

If it's an event that nm is weak to earth, then quake 2.

And so on.

I have seen blm's with all of the AM 2 and later say why did I if I spend merits on spells I never use.

I use burst and freeze alot in events and merit pt's. So I only have those 2.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-08 10:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I never did see the animation for Quake II, Flare II, or Tornado II. Only Burst and Freeze II.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-08 10:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The standards moves up when the career BLMs get their shiny gear.

2 the OP, just stick with Freeze and Burst II. Leave the group open for adjustments so you don't have to dump merits and put more time into gaining more.
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-08 11:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I have burst and freeze 2 but I only really use if a teir 4 isn't up. I only have 1 merit in them so I dont like to use them much.

And yes the blms in my dyna shell fail, so they use stuff like Flood 2 and flare 2 for no apparent reason. I'd yell at them but I just can't be arsed.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-08 11:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I can solo 2 statues with my MP pool!
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-08 11:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well maybe I've misunderstood half the thread, but all AMII do the same damage, so aside from freeze II thanks to Aquillo's, the only difference between any of them is going to be day, weather and potency merits. Dynamis is always dark weather, nothing is resistant to anything as far as I'm aware of and... I forgot my next point <_<

But obi + relic legs using AMII matching the day will do more damage than a full potency merited freeze/burst II.

So from what I can see it makes much more sense to unlock all of them. Obviously it allows you to actually use them should that occasion arise where you can ONLY do one type of damage, and the only thing you're losing out on by doing that rather than full 5 merits into each freeze and burst is your MB damage. So again, it comes down to what you do most, if you do a lot of MB's, then perhaps freeze/burst onry will work better for you, however if you do a lot of different things on blm and like to diversify, then I'd reccommend at least unlocking all 6. You then still have the option of either going 3/5 and 2/5 in freeze/burst or doing full 5/5 in just one.

I'm reasonably certain from this thread that I'll be doing 5/5 Freeze and unlocking the rest (also 'cause they're so damn purdy), but as a matter of interest, what IS the difference between a Freeze II MB with 1 merit compared to 5 merits?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-08 11:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh oh oh, I forgot some replies.

@Has, I saw flood II and flare II for the first time in the fay weapon fight in Rolanberry fields (easier than grauberg with one good kiter), and they're so pretty I had to let the mob I was kiting keep hitting my shadows with flare II :D

@Wooooooooooo, I think you missed the bit where he said MP statue :p Doesn't matter if 7 blm's all use AMII and get resisted as they'll all have full MP when it dies :p
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 12:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

There will always be fights where you pretty much have to use certain elements. Like say temenos elementals.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-08 12:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Even though this is going against what I just said I'd do about unlocking all 6, even with temenos (or apollyon) elementals you can get away with just thunder and ice. Thunder is fine on everything bar thunder and water, and ice is fine on everything bar fire and ice. The only thing I can really think of is armed gears, but only way I've fought that is with pld on it alone and every other person out of AOE range, so you'd be using TIV rather than AMII anyway...

/condradicts
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-08 12:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

get burst ii and freeze ii capped

tier 4 has best dmg/mp, but on magicbursts or time nukes or just plain spike dmg is nice to have.

the rest you really don't need.

they all have the same V value but freeze ii will do more cos of the int on staff, most mobs are weak to ice or thunder also

in any long time fight, you will do more DoT by spamming t4 than spamming AM2 (not counting magicbursts obviously)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 13:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Even though this is going against what I just said I'd do about unlocking all 6, even with temenos (or apollyon) elementals you can get away with just thunder and ice. Thunder is fine on everything bar thunder and water, and ice is fine on everything bar fire and ice. The only thing I can really think of is armed gears, but only way I've fought that is with pld on it alone and every other person out of AOE range, so you'd be using TIV rather than AMII anyway...

/condradicts

Really? I've ES the elementals in temenos and still got crap dmg if not nuking the opposite element. Similar with suzzy and water or seiryu and ice.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-08 13:08:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
There will always be fights where you pretty much have to use certain elements. Like say temenos elementals.

Well I do solo that area (and I went up to floor 5 solo, Temenos East) and you just play it with one single element per floor, which is just fine. You just use neutral element.

Floor 1 : Lightning
Floor 2 : Lightning
Floor 3 : Ice (lightning if cooldown on blizz iv)
Floor 4 : Ice
Floor 5 : Ice

Enter on lightning day since the chance to get on floor 3+ are lower (the higher the floor, the lower the chance you get there).

Quote:
Really? I've ES the elementals in temenos and still got crap dmg if not nuking the opposite element. Similar with suzzy and water or seiryu and ice.

Definitely not true... Anything neutral works. Base damage are just lower than most of other limbus monster however. Meaning if you take Air Elemental for example, using Lightning (neutral) or Ice (weakness) will yield approximately same damage (usual gap between Thunder IV / Blizzard IV). Overall, damage are ~40% lower than on "normal" mobs. Like Thunder IV/Blizzard IV will do around 950 damage if you're correctly geared. 750~800 for an average BLM.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 13:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol ok just saying it happened
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-08 13:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I played around with blueMAGE on temenos elemental run last night, using primarily regurgitation until the the thunder/water floors and was fairly sure I did the exact same (shitty) damage all the way up. I wasn't paying super close attention to my damage, but I certainly wasn't getting resisted or doing "crap" damage. I dunno though, fire eles are the first floor so it's totally possible that I was doing better damage and didn't notice the drop the rest of the way, all I know is that I'll be doing breath spells next time I do that run as it was pretty meh.

edit: Antipika beat me to it, yet again :p

At least that tells me that my meh damage was just a quirk with those particular mobs though rather than just being ***damage in general.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-08 13:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I've nuked elementals using more than just the opposite elemental spells. Just stay away from the element they're strong to. One thing to remember is if you're nuking with the strongest elemental it'll save you a couple extra nukes.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 13:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What about the T2 elemental zone?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-08 13:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno, I usually just melee that one (although I usually melee the one I just talked about too). Will do it sometime in the next three runs, but a: I'm assuming it'll be the same story and b: I'll go with breath builds next time. (Flying Hip Press is only a tiny bit behind Frost Breath in damage terms, which gives me another option for water and fire eles)
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-10-08 14:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Tornado II is also good for Jailer of Faith fights also, but people don't realize that, or want to say it.

As for Kirin kites, people still do that I guess. Since everyone loves to argue against me, and I don't feel like showing you many times over why its much faster to Kirin Burn, and much safer (considering that you die 2+ times per kite vs less than 1 per burn), I won't bother with this.

Yah, because if your LS wipes you lose a full kirin pop set in <2 mins vs. a longer fight with much less chance of a full wipe. Safer is a poor word choice.

Inexperienced ls's can barely ever even pull off a tp burn.

Even experienced ls's have a drastically higher chance to wipe at it in a tp-burn, it only takes 1 *** up to make it turn into a bloodbath and a wasted pop.

Can't believe no one else caught this obvious horrible choice of wording.

Faster yes, safer... hell no. Saying that this is hands down the way to do it is simply HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and completely elitist because not every shell can even pull it off.

Everytime i read a Korpg post i lose 20 brain cells.
 Hades.Agilo
Server: Hades
user: Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2009-10-08 17:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

ok so... i like the suggestion way back when on page 1 or 2 about going 3/5 in burst 2 and freeze 2 and unlocking the rest, altho it will be quite a while before that happens. so what about other merits? im thinking...

8/8 Enfeebling
8/8 Elemental
4/4 Spell interruption rate down
Some in MP+ (4/8?)
Maybe 1 or 2 INT
and of course 5/5 Thunder and Ice potency

This will of course take... forever lol. but does this look good?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 17:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Agilo said:
ok so... i like the suggestion way back when on page 1 or 2 about going 3/5 in burst 2 and freeze 2 and unlocking the rest, altho it will be quite a while before that happens. so what about other merits? im thinking...

8/8 Enfeebling
8/8 Elemental
4/4 Spell interruption rate down
Some in MP+ (4/8?)
Maybe 1 or 2 INT
and of course 5/5 Thunder and Ice potency

This will of course take... forever lol. but does this look good?

Takes less time then you think. Especially as the more you get especially in potency and skill the faster you'll kill solo. Also I don't think I'd worry about spell interrupt rate really. It's nifty but in low amounts doesn't do much and is no substitute for just not taking dmg well unless you have 100% and that works like its sounds like it should. If you are a full time offensive mage I'd get full int though that will be onerous. Also if you have another mage that needs a different skill maybe not enfeebling. Depends on what you want to do. Mp is never bad lol
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-08 17:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I would go 8/8 Enfeebling even for BLM.

That is if you solo alot. 300+ Enfeebling skill is never a bad thing.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 17:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

I did too but I also have rdm and only other mage is blu. Always fun landing debuffs without ES that the rdms with you can't lol. However lets say I really liked and used idk smn or brd blu or something and didn't have rdm I might not. That being said Elemental on blm is a must. Really if you don't have that you wont even make mediocre blm
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-08 17:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

Sure, but it's less valuable to BLM than a given skill may be for another job. Depends on your job priorities.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-08 17:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

8/8 Elemental Magic
8/8 MP
5/5 INT
8/8 Enfeebling Magic

Those should be your priorities outside of general BLM merits, ranked from top to bottom.

Out of the potency catagories, it really depends on what type of mage you wish to be.

95% of the endgame BLM is going to be 5/5 thunder and ice and 5/5 Freeze/Burst.

But that doesn't mean you can't be 5/5 Fire potency, or 5/5 Wind potency.

It really is your choice, I'm not going to tell you what you should deside on yourself.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 18:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

It really is your choice, I'm not going to tell you what you should decide on yourself.

... who are you and what have you done with Korpg?
[+]