user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-08 23:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
8/8 Elemental Magic
8/8 MP
5/5 INT
8/8 Enfeebling Magic

Those should be your priorities outside of general BLM merits, ranked from top to bottom.

Out of the potency catagories, it really depends on what type of mage you wish to be.

95% of the endgame BLM is going to be 5/5 thunder and ice and 5/5 Freeze/Burst.

But that doesn't mean you can't be 5/5 Fire potency, or 5/5 Wind potency.

It really is your choice, I'm not going to tell you what you should deside on yourself.

I would put enfeebling above INT and MP but thats just me.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-08 23:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious why MP is above INT. Mind, I run 4 HP 4 MP 5 STR these days and I don't really recall how much of a difference each made for me. Would also be partially race-dependent I guess.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-08 23:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably cause its cheaper and is useful for more jobs. Also really 1 int doesn't do that much
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-09 00:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go with elemental > mp > enfeebling > INT as Aaroca said purely for how damn long it takes to merit INT. Yes 5/5 INT is a good thing, but you'll cap 8/8 enfeebling faster and it'll help you land your sleep/bind/grav more than 5 INT will, which will save your life more often.

But, it also depends on your other jobs of course, and don't forget that you can always stick just one merit into an AMII, then work on others later. In fact I'd probably stick a few (or 5) potency merits into either ice or thunder in between elemental magic and mp, but that's just me.

Basically what you want to get first is what will give you the biggest reward for the lowest cost.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 01:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I did freeze/burst2 then potency then finished elemental since I already had 4 from blm that I got for helping my blm in CoP missions then enfeebling then int. That provided the fastest way for me to solo up my merits. Doing 5/5 int is crazy though. But getting like 1 is useful till your ready to devote your life to it
 Unicorn.Motokosun
Server: Unicorn
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-10-09 01:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Agilo said:
Prinnysmash said:
EDIT: I also think you should get rdm37 before you spend 3 merits on a new spell.

idk about rdm to 37... i have a hatred for rdm lol. i am, however, planning to get sch to 37 for a sub. and thx everyone else for your advice

Absolutely foolish to not get 37 rdm, Suck it up and get it done.
[+]
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-10-09 01:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Probably cause its cheaper and is useful for more jobs. Also really 1 int doesn't do that much

So true, however 8 int DOES!
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 01:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Motokosun said:
Dasva said:

Too bad you can't get 8 int... actually I take it back if someone actually went to get the 720k xp that'd take just for that they might kill themselves
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-10-09 02:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Motokosun said:
Dasva said:

Too bad you can't get 8 int... actually I take it back if someone actually went to get the 720k xp that'd take just for that they might kill themselves

Well you can get +8.. not from merits tho lol. my b

BUT ok to be correct +5 from merits still does help.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 02:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Motokosun said:
Dasva said:
Motokosun said:
Dasva said:

Well you can get +8.. not from merits tho lol. my b

BUT ok to be correct +5 from merits still does help.

Well yeah it helps. Every bit helps its more a matter of help vs time lol. You will get more bang for your buck on just about anything else besides mp after the first one. Well that and putting more then 1 point into AM2 lol.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-09 05:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:

Well I'd do it actually :< Not like grinding is hard on FF. Even merited Club skill and I never use club, been @150 for years.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-09 13:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to merits, what would you people merit if you were levelling both RDM and BLM, but only had 8 merits to spend? (No job will ever be as well geared as my blu, so it doesn't make sense to un-merit blu magic skill even if I didn't still love the job)
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 13:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
In regards to merits, what would you people merit if you were levelling both RDM and BLM, but only had 8 merits to spend? (No job will ever be as well geared as my blu, so it doesn't make sense to un-merit blu magic skill even if I didn't still love the job)

That has alot to do with what your using your rdm and blm for. For some HNMs good luck not getting resisted without merits for either. Depending on what your soloing enfeebling or elemental might be better. It'd be a hard choice cause A blm really needs elemental merits or a ***ton of skill/macc gear to not get resisted on higher lvl stuff... but then you lose all the int/MAB stuff...
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2009-10-09 13:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If you only have 8 magic skill merits to use between BLM and RDM I think what matters most is which job you use the most and for endgame activities. I can't think of too many times I've been asked to enfeeble at all as a BLM outside of sleepga II'ing everything in dynamis. I only have 2 enfeebling merits right now and I suppose average gear for an endgame BLM and don't get resists there really (besides every other BLM will be doing the same thing at the same time). So for a BLM in a group elemental is much better. I don't play RDM endgame, but I'd imagine every enfeebling merit you can get is very important on tougher targets. You could maybe split them down the middle if you're unsure, bias them based on which is higher from gear that you have, or bias them based on what job you use most.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 13:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Also kinda depends on what gear you got available to you... if you got like really pimp rdm gear you could get away with no enfeebling on all but the hardest stuff unless you have to cast on it over and over like in soloing
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-09 16:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

A resisted nuke in any given situation is usually no big deal. Makes your damage/MP ratio shitty, makes you waste 1 minute at best but that's it. Either solo, either fighting HNM. You waste MP sure, but who cares, if the situation is critical, /satchel, hi-elixir, and you're good to go.

A resisted gravity on a fast moving and non sleepable mob = you're dead , period. Same goes for a resisted bind when gravity wears off and is still on cooldown. Same for Sleep when monster could inflict you Petrify upon striking your armor, AGA III you, double hit you very hard etc.

Enfeebling magic is most of the time 1 or 0 (can be 0.5 too). Not the case for nuke, being resisted usually means halved, which is -just- a waste of MP, no cooldown issue.

I'm playing BLM 24/7, I've yet to -fail- at something because of a resisted nuke, while I've died several time because my crowd control spell were resisted.

If you don't solo a lot, then w/e, it really doesn't matter, even no merits works with a whole alliance.
 Pandemonium.Natasdrol
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Natasdrol 2009-10-09 17:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Learn to read better...

^^
 Pandemonium.Natasdrol
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Natasdrol 2009-10-09 17:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Tornado II is also good for Jailer of Faith fights also, but people don't realize that, or want to say it.

As for Kirin kites, people still do that I guess. Since everyone loves to argue against me, and I don't feel like showing you many times over why its much faster to Kirin Burn, and much safer (considering that you die 2+ times per kite vs less than 1 per burn), I won't bother with this.

korpg knows to much about this game! its ovious he works for SE!
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-10 00:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, I kinda figured the answer would be something along those lines. I think I'll have to prioritise enfeebling over elemental and just suffer being a shitty blm.

I guess worst case scenario I'll just have to swap in a little more elemental gear where other blm's might not need to.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-10 03:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Damn, I kinda figured the answer would be something along those lines. I think I'll have to prioritise enfeebling over elemental and just suffer being a shitty blm.

I guess worst case scenario I'll just have to swap in a little more elemental gear where other blm's might not need to.

Won't be shitty really, I mean dealing 1000dmg instead of 1200 because you prioritized skill/macc over MaB is no big deal. And that lack of ele skill merits will only be noticeable versus resistant NM and when you're not SC'ing. Won't prevent you also to solo NMs/xNM/Limbus. You'll still be able to fulfill your role as BLM nuking wise, not to mention that your Sleepga II will be perfect and good blms need to take care of enfeebling in event like dynamis since it require way more skill than throwing random nuke here and there... (anyone who never played FF XI could play BLM and nuke stats + /assist nuke in dynamis).

It's really annoying when blm with shitty enfeebling skill use Sleepga II, they think they didn't get any resist, while like 50% of mobs got halved sleep duration, meaning they'll wake up after 45sec; while others will be asleep => all sleep timers will then become unsync, and after couple of rounds, mobs will start waking up randomly at different time... Makes sleeping duty a real pain. With a solid sleepga II you can control 6-10 monsters alone for over 7-8 minutes and without dying. (providing they're not building resistance very quickly like Tauri or leeches in tav)

And since you have RDM, that +enfeebling is always welcome.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-10 11:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

That was pretty much my exact thought process too :D Glad you agree with me, especially since I'm going to be asking you if I can pinch your spellcast file once I get my blm to 75 <_<
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-11 14:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Blazza said:
Even though this is going against what I just said I'd do about unlocking all 6, even with temenos (or apollyon) elementals you can get away with just thunder and ice. Thunder is fine on everything bar thunder and water, and ice is fine on everything bar fire and ice. The only thing I can really think of is armed gears, but only way I've fought that is with pld on it alone and every other person out of AOE range, so you'd be using TIV rather than AMII anyway...

/condradicts

Really? I've ES the elementals in temenos and still got crap dmg if not nuking the opposite element. Similar with suzzy and water or seiryu and ice.

if you get crap dmg on that zone as blm something is seriously wrong...

blm can solo that zone without any trouble aslong as they don't *** up the pull on first floor

there is only 1 mob in all of limbus which has a significant resistance to magic and thats omega, hell i pissed about nuking a couple of those elementals on drk a while back when we had loads of time left and still got no resists with no + int or elemental magic unless you count merits
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 15:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:
Dasva said:
Blazza said:
Even though this is going against what I just said I'd do about unlocking all 6, even with temenos (or apollyon) elementals you can get away with just thunder and ice. Thunder is fine on everything bar thunder and water, and ice is fine on everything bar fire and ice. The only thing I can really think of is armed gears, but only way I've fought that is with pld on it alone and every other person out of AOE range, so you'd be using TIV rather than AMII anyway...

/condradicts

Really? I've ES the elementals in temenos and still got crap dmg if not nuking the opposite element. Similar with suzzy and water or seiryu and ice.

if you get crap dmg on that zone as blm something is seriously wrong...

blm can solo that zone without any trouble aslong as they don't *** up the pull on first floor

there is only 1 mob in all of limbus which has a significant resistance to magic and thats omega, hell i pissed about nuking a couple of those elementals on drk a while back when we had loads of time left and still got no resists with no + int or elemental magic unless you count merits

Sorry I meant the temenos avatars. Its been awhile and I don't do temenos that much anyways. And read it better I still specified temenos... has a blm solo any of temenos past a couple of floors? Lol resist on omega wtf? The mobs in T2 temenos floors have more resistance then him
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-11 15:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

temenos mobs won't resist either

omega will resist an average blm nuke lol, not too often but it will

no other mob in limbus should resist ever

blm is ***on temenos elemental zone anyways, DD do much more dmg

elementals in that zone have -50% magic dmg taken which is why u might think they are resisting

the avatars don't have this however
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 15:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:
temenos mobs won't resist either

omega will resist an average blm nuke lol, not too often but it will

no other mob in limbus should resist ever

blm is ***on temenos elemental zone anyways, DD do much more dmg

elementals in that zone have -50% magic dmg taken which is why u might think they are resisting

the avatars don't have this however

Except that you can't get lower then 5% resist rate... and really I never had real problems with omega. In my normal nuking gear he barely resist more then puddings. And I know the avatars don't have it... could swear I hit ifrit one with ES thunder for like nothing then bam water for alot. And um the T2 mobs that get stronger after stuff is killed... yeah they start resisting alot more.
[+]
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-11 16:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

most blm don't have any problems with omega, but it still resists more than lolavatars

it depends how quickly you get it to 20% b4 farming chips

if you are low on people it will build resistance from blms spamming

if you go in with normal sized group then yeh it wont resist

even if blms couldn't nuke the temenos avatars for good dmg with just thunder and ice it wouldn't matter since blm shouldn't even be going on that zone in the first place, if you split zones they should go to another one where they are actually half useful

+ the guy is asking what am2 to merit, obviously no one would merit am2 for such insignificant mobs.

most people would understand "should resist ever" to mean hitting the 95% magic hit rate cap lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 16:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Well my group never really had more then 11 people at once... Hell really if your low on people your spamming nukes on omega less cause you got less people to nuke lol. Not like it was ever a problem even when we'd get it to 20% in 1 phase of nuking when we started bringing like 10+ people to the fight. And if you got the extra merits and don't MB why not?
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-11 16:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

being a problem and being more resistant than a different mob are two completely different things..

kirin is more resistant than a lot of mobs, and its as weak as it gets lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 16:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what I mean! And kirin just has high int and resistance to most elements