First Page 2 3 4 5
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-06 20:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Since everyone loves to argue against me, and I don't feel like showing you many times over why its much faster to Kirin Burn, and much safer (considering that you die 2+ times per kite vs less than 1 per burn), I won't bother with this.

Nobody has yet contradicted you on that point, though.

Flood II is also useful on Fire elementals. I find Quake II to be quite useful on Thunder elementals, as well. Each spells has its uses, which is why I advocate getting them all; though as said before, it depends what you use Black Mage for. Somebody who only brings it out to Fafnir is unlikely to want or find any use for Flare II.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-10-06 20:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Tornado II is also good for Jailer of Faith fights also, but people don't realize that, or want to say it.

As for Kirin kites, people still do that I guess. Since everyone loves to argue against me, and I don't feel like showing you many times over why its much faster to Kirin Burn, and much safer (considering that you die 2+ times per kite vs less than 1 per burn), I won't bother with this.

I can understand why it's faster, but why are you dying at least two times every kited fight?
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-06 20:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarowyn said:
Korpg said:
Tornado II is also good for Jailer of Faith fights also, but people don't realize that, or want to say it.

As for Kirin kites, people still do that I guess. Since everyone loves to argue against me, and I don't feel like showing you many times over why its much faster to Kirin Burn, and much safer (considering that you die 2+ times per kite vs less than 1 per burn), I won't bother with this.

I can understand why it's faster, but why are you dying at least two times every kited fight?

Cause tanks like to run towards a group during a -ga spell, and cause of the clusterfuck, they can't punch their way thru it.

Plus, Astral Flow hurts.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-06 20:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Cause tanks like to run towards a group during a -ga spell, and cause of the clusterfuck, they can't punch their way thru it.

Plus, Astral Flow hurts.

I've always found that Stonega IV goes off because of BLMs not knowing how to kite myself, more than the tanks. Which is very irritating as they always seem drawn to their fellow BLMs like magnets.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-10-06 20:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I tend to live through astral flow at least half the time, though I don't really do kirin that often. As for GA, I dunno, if my tanks are stupid that way then I wouldn't trust them to melee burn either.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-10-06 20:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well maybe teach your tanks to kite properly then? It's not hard at all.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-06 20:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Rumaha said:

More like DDs to not be in the way of the kite path.

My LS tanks are great, they can hold hate off of me even if I put down 3 Magic Burst for 2.4k+ damage on dragons, in a row.
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-10-06 21:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Rumaha said:

My LS tanks are great, they can hold hate off of me even if I put down 3 Magic Burst for 2.4k+ damage on dragons, in a row.

I dunno if you can put that all on the tanks though, if you're magic bursting, chances are at least one of the ws'es is being tricked onto a tank. And what classifies as dragons? Can't think of what's a dragon that would take that much dmg and not be dead.

And are you the only blm or something or can all the other blm's not MB, lol. So hard to always be the first person to hit MB to guarantee full dmg.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-06 21:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarowyn said:
Korpg said:
Rumaha said:

I dunno if you can put that all on the tanks though, if you're magic bursting, chances are at least one of the ws'es is being tricked onto a tank. And what classifies as dragons? Can't think of what's a dragon that would take that much dmg and not be dead.

And are you the only blm or something or can all the other blm's not MB, lol. So hard to always be the first person to hit MB to guarantee full dmg.

Well, we are doing KS99 Wyrm atm, so I'm comparing the magicburst damage by that.

SAM/WAR and MNK/WAR are SC, 4 BLMs Magic Bursting it to the ground.

2k-2.4k Magic Bursts (we only do 3 SCs) and I still live. So, the tanks do their jobs right.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-10-06 21:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
BIG yes/no on this.

Without wind potency powered up, you're already nuking for less comparative to ice and thunder based spells whose potencies 90% of blm's out there max out.

My sea ls manaburns this guy and really unless a BLM using obi/relic legs has windweather from sch and is nuking on windsday... they're going to see meh- middling results on their nuke casts.

The use you describe is valid but it takes a special set of circumstances to be as good as claimed.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-06 21:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Korpg said:
BIG yes/no on this.

Without wind potency powered up, you're already nuking for less comparative to ice and thunder based spells whose potencies 90% of blm's out there max out.

My sea ls manaburns this guy and really unless a BLM using obi/relic legs has windweather from sch and is nuking on windsday... they're going to see meh- middling results on their nuke casts.

The use you describe is valid but it takes a special set of circumstances to be as good as claimed.

You nuke with thunder on an earth mob?

I'm pretty sure that your damage will be at 1/8 at best with JoF >.>

Then again, I don't use Thunder on JoF, I use ice only.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-10-06 22:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Learn to read better...
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 03:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Krapg said:
Since everyone loves to argue against me, and I don't feel like showing you many times over why...

Krapg's attitude on everything in a nutshell. If you'd open your *** eyes you'd realise that it's not the rest of the world that loves arguing with you, it's you that like to argue with the rest of the world. I'm not talking about this thread since no-one aside from Malekith has argued with you, but even when 20 people are all telling you you're wrong, you just keep arguing.

You're really quite knowledgeable in certain areas, I'm not gonna deny you that, but in other areas you act like you know everything when you don't know ***. You need to learn to swallow your pride when someone calls you out on something, not only will you actually learn more about the game, but you'll look like less of a douche.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-10-07 05:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg O king of out of context reading, I never said anything about using thunder on Faith.

My only point was Tornado II is ok, but it takes a lot to build up to make it worth using over merited ice. Me mentioning thunder was a throwaway point, to bring up the fact that a majority of folks out there merit ice and thunder potency only.

No one even touches wind... So ya sure while wind would pwn an earth-based mob without the potency merits and/or the sch weather, furin obi, day, relic pants to back it up everyone is just better off nuking ice. Talking about how much win Tornado II without mentioning what I have is deceiving.
[+]
 Asura.Kiowa
user: Kiowa
By Asura.Kiowa 2009-10-07 07:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

lol who gives a ***burn that *** up anyway you can doh pathos lol
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-07 10:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Korpg O king of out of context reading, I never said anything about using thunder on Faith.
Malekith said:
Korpg said:
BIG yes/no on this.

I used an example (Jailer of Faith). You used the same example (Jailer of Faith).

It is common knowledge that Jailer of Faith is an earth mob. Therefor, Jailer of Faith would be very resistant to Thunder damage. I did not take anything out of context, you used the wrong example.

I mean sure, Ice damage will do more damage than Wind damage on Faith if you have full resist gear (meaning your resist factor is at 5%, which is the best you can get) but, if you don't have resist gear for ice, then your wind spells will do more damage over the long run (i.e. less resists) because Jailer of Faith will resist a lot less. Also, if you use Tornado II then Freeze II, your Freeze II will have a little better accuracy rate thanks to Tornado II's added effect. In case you forgot.

Quote:

My only point was Tornado II is ok, but it takes a lot to build up to make it worth using over merited ice. Me mentioning thunder was a throwaway point, to bring up the fact that a majority of folks out there merit ice and thunder potency only.

No one even touches wind... So ya sure while wind would pwn an earth-based mob without the potency merits and/or the sch weather, furin obi, day, relic pants to back it up everyone is just better off nuking ice. Talking about how much win Tornado II without mentioning what I have is deceiving.

Like I said before, it depends on what you want to become as a BLM. If you want 6/6 AMIIs, it would be in your best interest to have 6/6 obis. That way, you can do max damage on all mobs. But, if you want to specialize in 2 spells (thanks to potency merits) then most BLMs go Thunder and Ice (for both higher damage T4s, and the ability to MB both on Darkness and Light).

Like I said before, and now, and will probably again, it all depends on the player. There is no right or wrong way to play a job.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 10:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news, I watched a couple of rdm's duo'ing faith the other day, I was well impressed.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-07 10:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
In other news, I watched a couple of rdm's duo'ing faith the other day, I was well impressed.

Thats very simple, its called DoT kite.

You probably watched them do it for about an hour or so though, and they "may" have died about 3+ times each, thanks to Breakga, but still.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 10:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
There is no right or wrong way to play a job.

I agree with the sentiment behind this, but there are definitely many wrong ways to play any job in this game <_<
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-07 10:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Korpg said:
There is no right or wrong way to play a job.

I agree with the sentiment behind this, but there are definitely many wrong ways to play any job in this game <_<

I mean sure, you can't expect a SAM/WAR to main heal your party, but if you do your general job (aka either a DD class, Tanking class, or Healing/Buffing class) then you are doing your job the way it was intended to do.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 10:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Blazza said:

Thats very simple, its called DoT kite.

You probably watched them do it for about an hour or so though, and they "may" have died about 3+ times each, thanks to Breakga, but still.

Well if it's so simple, you go do it. Did you forget that faith becomes highly resistant, and probably immune to gravity over time/multiple uses, and has enhanced movement speed (can't kite with www.legs).

And actually I watched them for about 5 minutes, I'm well aware it would have taken them forever and only watched long enough to see how they did it. Regardless of what you may think, I'm no stranger to mage soloing tactics, and I was impressed with these guys for a reason, it's NOT a simple DoT kite.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-07 10:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

Well if it's so simple, you go do it. Did you forget that faith becomes highly resistant, and probably immune to gravity over time/multiple uses, and has enhanced movement speed (can't kite with www.legs).

Actually, if you have enough Enfeebling Magic, you can keep Gravity on for half the duration (i.e. Gravity for half the spell recast timer) at all times. I very rarely get resisted on Gravity on my RDM/BLM when I'm asked to enfeeble it. But then again, my Enfeebling magic skill is 334 with INT121 on my RDM.
Quote:
it's NOT a simple DoT kite.

Were they meleeing it? Didn't think so. I doubt they were chainspell casting Aero III on it, that would only bring it down to 90% before they died.

It had to be a DoT kite. Gravity + Bio II (or III) + the fact that it has to stop to cast spells on you = DoT kite. If you are /BLM with enough Elemental skill, you can put Burn + Choke on it for more DoT damage.
 Fairy.Ninelives
Server: Fairy
user: Ninelives
By Fairy.Ninelives 2009-10-07 10:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes I wish AMII had never been introduced. Every time I see a Black Mage running around Dynamis, Limbus, etc. casting Flare II and Flood II I want to reach through the computer and strangle them.

Blazza said:

The guy on the first page that mentioned forgoing working on his Red Mage sub in order to focus on getting his Scholar sub ready for Black Mage backs this up. :p
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-07 10:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninelives said:
Sometimes I wish AMII had never been introduced. Every time I see a Black Mage running around Dynamis, Limbus, etc. casting Flare II and Flood II I want to reach through the computer and strangle them.

Nothing wrong with oneshoting stones.....
Quote:

Blazza said:

The guy on the first page that mentioned forgoing working on his Red Mage sub in order to focus on getting his Scholar sub ready for Black Mage backs this up. :p

BLM/SCH rocks >.>
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 10:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't bring up the rdm's duoing faith to start another ridiculous argument, go duo it, see how long you last with your uber enfeebling, then come back and comment.
 Fairy.Ninelives
Server: Fairy
user: Ninelives
By Fairy.Ninelives 2009-10-07 10:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I was referring more to the Black Mages that cast AMIIs whenever they can because they're shiny and look nice. Quake II may look very pretty, but you don't use it over merited Ice spells just because it's Earthday. I also see WAY too many BLMs that use it all the time because of the "it does the most damage, therefore I must always use it!" mentalitly... which has them dropping a AMII on a mob in an event that's at 3% health.

Blm/Sch can be useful, very situationally, but most of the players I see use it can't keep themselves alive long enough to take advantage of the MP conservation it offers. While I'm slightly happy PlayerA got off a quick Burst II to one-shot that stat, PlayerA also spent 50% of the run dead or weakened because he couldn't SS/Blink away the damage he took in the run. Dead players are not useful players.

I'll amend my statement:

Sometimes I wish AMII had never been introduced. Every time I see a stupid Black Mage running around Dynamis, Limbus, etc. casting Flare II and Flood II I want to reach through the computer and strangle them.
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
Server: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-10-07 11:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Really getting tiered of reading threads that end up in you all pissing on each other.
No need for me to put names, as its obvious who the pissers are.

STFU if its not about the OP.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-07 22:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninelives said:
I was referring more to the Black Mages that cast AMIIs whenever they can because they're shiny and look nice. Quake II may look very pretty, but you don't use it over merited Ice spells just because it's Earthday. I also see WAY too many BLMs that use it all the time because of the "it does the most damage, therefore I must always use it!" mentalitly... which has them dropping a AMII on a mob in an event that's at 3% health.

Blm/Sch can be useful, very situationally, but most of the players I see use it can't keep themselves alive long enough to take advantage of the MP conservation it offers. While I'm slightly happy PlayerA got off a quick Burst II to one-shot that stat, PlayerA also spent 50% of the run dead or weakened because he couldn't SS/Blink away the damage he took in the run. Dead players are not useful players.

I'll amend my statement:

Sometimes I wish AMII had never been introduced. Every time I see a stupid Black Mage running around Dynamis, Limbus, etc. casting Flare II and Flood II I want to reach through the computer and strangle them.

Ummm I'm pretty sure you read my mind.
That is all.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-07 22:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninelives said:

If your BLM is 6/6 AMIIs/Obis/Relic panties, then casting Quake II on a mob during Earthday will do more damage than casting Freeze II with 5/5 ice potency merits.
Quote:

Thats the player's problem. Not yours. Dead players = less buffer = deleveled player = no use = kick from the shell.

Quote:
I'll amend my statement:

Again, if you have obi/relic pants, and you cast on the day in question, you can oneshot most any stone (you need HQ staffs also).
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-07 23:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Does it really sound like these players know how to use relic pants and obis? honestly?

Speaking hypothetically is great and all, but reiterating things most people already know here is pretty counter-productive.