Luck of the Draw: A Corsair's Guide *NEW*
First Page 2 3 ... 102 103 104 ... 121 122 123
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-05-10 05:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind that WS attack modifiers are in the same term as other percentage attack buffs and debuffs other than food.
[+]
By Agrestic 2022-05-12 11:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying the lua in the OP floods me with errors I don't fully understand. changing jobs or issuing commands generates this:
Code
GearSwap: Lua runtime error: GearSwap/flow.lua:354:
GearSwap has detected an error in the user function self_command:
COR.lua:1666: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
GearSwap: Lua runtime error: GearSwap/flow.lua:354:
GearSwap has detected an error in the user function self_command:
COR.lua:1290: attempt to call global 'handle_equipping_gear' (a nil value)

The line 1290 error scrolls by multiple times. It's hard to tell what's causing this. I've made no modifications to the lua, gearinfo or gearswap.
By fillerbunny9 2022-05-12 11:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

you probably need to download GearInfo - Arislan's lua use it to determine haste values for Dual Wield
By Agrestic 2022-05-12 11:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the latest version of gearinfo installed.
By Mozer 2022-05-19 11:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi guys, as a returning player what should i try to get asap? Is first page guide still good? I've got ambu weaspons (sword and dagger), TP Cape and some AF/AF2 at initial stages. Thank you in advance.

p.s. any lua that i can see for reference?
By Seraphpdh 2022-05-19 14:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Mozer said: »
Hi guys, as a returning player what should i try to get asap? Is first page guide still good? I've got ambu weaspons (sword and dagger), TP Cape and some AF/AF2 at initial stages. Thank you in advance.

A huge bonus to spamming Savage blade with ambu sword is the TP Bonus+1000 Anarchy+2/Ataktos.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Trial_of_the_Magians_Marksmanship#Physical_Trials

Also, this is a nice starting shooting gun if your group does Aeonic tier content and can take down WoC:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Molybdosis

You will also want to get a Moonshade Earring from the WotG missions with TP Bonus +250 for WSs:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Moonshade_Earring

Besides that, when I started COR I focused on Savage Blade gear and Roll Potency/Duration (Relic Hat, Empy Hands) gear. If you can get your hands on a Regal Necklace from Ou in Omen, that takes your roll potency to just under max as well (+7/8). Otherwise, make sure to get a Barataria Ring for rolls (+5/8) instead. Potency gear doesn't stack, so highest value wins. Duration gear DOES stack though.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Regal_Necklace
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Barataria_Ring

Once you are sure you like the job, you can make a Path C Rostam to get +8 roll potency, and +60s duration, but that will cost you tens of millions of gil, and some [D] Dynamis grinding as well.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Rostam

Also, get a Luzaf's Ring to double your roll radius (to hit all party members when rolling).

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Luzaf%27s_Ring

It's just a start, but hope this helps.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Veika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Veikuri
By Lakshmi.Veika 2022-05-20 16:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraphpdh said: »
Mozer said: »

A huge bonus to spamming Savage blade with ambu sword is the TP Bonus+1000 Anarchy+2/Ataktos.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Trial_of_the_Magians_Marksmanship#Physical_Trials

Also, this is a nice starting shooting gun if your group does Aeonic tier content and can take down WoC:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Molybdosis

You will also want to get a Moonshade Earring from the WotG missions with TP Bonus +250 for WSs:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Moonshade_Earring

Besides that, when I started COR I focused on Savage Blade gear and Roll Potency/Duration (Relic Hat, Empy Hands) gear. If you can get your hands on a Regal Necklace from Ou in Omen, that takes your roll potency to just under max as well (+7/8). Otherwise, make sure to get a Barataria Ring for rolls (+5/8) instead. Potency gear doesn't stack, so highest value wins. Duration gear DOES stack though.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Regal_Necklace
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Barataria_Ring

Once you are sure you like the job, you can make a Path C Rostam to get +8 roll potency, and +60s duration, but that will cost you tens of millions of gil, and some [D] Dynamis grinding as well.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Rostam

Also, get a Luzaf's Ring to double your roll radius (to hit all party members when rolling).

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Luzaf%27s_Ring

It's just a start, but hope this helps.

Would you say Rostam is a high priority item for COR? Not sure how fast I can farm 70 mil gil after just coming back and being in the same boat as the poster above minus having the amubuscade weapons.
By Nariont 2022-05-20 17:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Would consider path A a higher priority for the stp+25 when shooting, though you can run a su4 for almost the same effect (20 stp vs 25) personally but depends what your main cor use is i suppose, wouldnt put it high priority though unless your only planned party use is rolling. Definately worth the investment though
 Lakshmi.Veika
By Lakshmi.Veika 2022-05-20 17:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

How long does it generally take to get a Naegling for a returning player?
By Nariont 2022-05-20 17:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on how long it takes you to get a pulse weapon really, least i think they fixed points that you can get a max weapon in 1 ambu month, so its just pulse weapon rng from there
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2022-05-20 17:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Veika said: »
How long does it generally take to get a Naegling for a returning player?

• Trove: Hit or miss.

• Deeds: Pulse Kupon 5 months.

• VW: It might drop sometime? Maybe collect pulses? Requires VW Questline.

• Nyzul Campaign: Free login + This right now. It's not terrible. Get them from the ??? items.

• T3 Escha: Grab a few people, spam T3. Drop rate is miserable, but you should be able to get one in < 24hr period. Had 3 drop in a row a few weeks ago.

Lakshmi.Veika
By Lakshmi.Veika 2022-05-20 17:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. Do I just keep killing Aello until the pulse weapon drops or can I just trade 5 of any pulse cells and get the weapon?
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2022-05-20 18:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. Do I just keep killing Aello until the pulse weapon drops or can I just trade 5 of any pulse cells and get the weapon?

You can trade the 5 pulses, but if you are still on Lakshmi chances are you won't see them on the AH. Farming them from VW has always been the slowest method of getting a pulse for me; completely based on my own opinion though. I have no statistical evidence to support that though. The trading requires you to have started part of the VW questline in Norg I think?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-05-20 19:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
Depends on how long it takes you to get a pulse weapon really, least i think they fixed points that you can get a max weapon in 1 ambu month, so its just pulse weapon rng from there
You could get two per month before. If you have malignance, the behemoth is pretty easy to spam for really any DD. Don't lose as much money either with the vulcanites being sellable
 Carbuncle.Arakon
Server: Carbuncle
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2022-05-20 21:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing to note is that you can trade ANY pulse weapon with Kaja Sword to upgrade to Naegling, not just Ephemeron.

One option to get a pulse weapon is to get the Emporox's Gift https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Emporox and start accumulating potpourri since you are going to work on job points/master level anyway. You can get a pulse weapon with 25000 potpourri points. You will need to trade 297 crystal petrifact to access Voidwatcher Goodness 2.
By Afania 2022-05-21 03:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If someone tell you you need a naegling for endgame, or Rostam for endgame, they're wrong. Don't listen to any of these crap please >.>

I cleared all of the endgame before Odyssey without a Rostam. That includes escha/aeonic, omen, ambu VD, dyna w3. The reason is simple: Rostam is introduced during dyna w3 so I have to do content before without it.

I also did all of the endgame listed above with a fettering blade then hep sapara +1 because at that time kaja sword didn't even exist.

If you can't afford a pulse weapon, use a kaja sword. It's good enough unless you are in a content that really needs attack aka Odyssey. Build a good leaden set for pulse weapon farming, cuz leaden rapes ALL zitah T3 NM so you can kill all 3 before running back for KI, that greatly increases your farming speed.

You don't need Rostam path A for shooting. kustawi or STP Atoyac is a great choice.

Then as you get "good enough" gears you'll have an easier time to do harder content and make money faster, THEN you can start saving money for Rostams or elite gears. If you farm 70m as a returning player for a Rostam that will probably make you quit lol.

None of the older gears that you use pre-rostam are completely replaced anyways. I still keep a fettering blade for Arma WF/crit build. I still keep hep.sapara for swift blade, I still keep a kustawi for Max racc swap and STP Atoyac for offhand shooting. So there is really no reason to farm the best and most expensive gear at start.
[+]
By Afania 2022-06-03 08:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Afania said: »
What subhand, target and buffs (specifically what how much stp on samurai roll)?

I'm asking, because assuming attack is capped, I'm getting way higher Savage Blade damage.

That's probably because of PDL+1 from SJ. I didn't add PDL to the WS avg at all. In reality if you /DNC or /NIN at high ML your SB should be higher at attack cap.

Nah pdl is barely 3% increase. I'm getting 50k+ SB and 9000+ DPS with 5/5 Malignance.

COR sheet has very simplified cRatio btw. Just attack/def basically which is kinda ok at attack cap I guess but missing whole spread when attack is uncapped. Shouldn't matter for our scenario, just pointing this out. Also it's missing randomizer at the end which would boost SB damage in my sheet by additional 2.5%

What subhand, target and buffs (specifically what how much stp on samurai roll)?

I'm asking, because assuming attack is capped, I'm getting way higher Savage Blade damage.

That's probably because of PDL+1 from SJ. I didn't add PDL to the WS avg at all. In reality if you /DNC or /NIN at high ML your SB should be higher at attack cap.

Nah pdl is barely 3% increase. I'm getting 50k+ SB and 9000+ DPS with 5/5 Malignance.

COR sheet has very simplified cRatio btw. Just attack/def basically which is kinda ok at attack cap I guess but missing whole spread when attack is uncapped. Shouldn't matter for our scenario, just pointing this out. Also it's missing randomizer at the end which would boost SB damage in my sheet by additional 2.5%

I know it's super late reply, but just posting an update in public for anyone who's wondering: I think it's ML/PDL+ making the difference in your sheet.

Turning off ML and not using any PDL gears gives me exactly 7.2k DPS with malig hybrid set, which is the same as older version without PDL+.

PDL+ makes more than 3% dmg difference I think. Changing body to Ikenga and ring to trove ring from the set above gives me 7.9k DPS. That's more like 9% difference with PDL lol.

I'm not getting 9k+ DPS with malig no matter what, and it's constant 10% behind glass Cannon set. The highest DPS I've observed is about 9.3k with glass Cannon set and capped pdl/ML.

@Capped pdif with PDL+ gears swapped in this job is honestly *** strong for a support job. It's dangerously close to other "real DD" jobs argh. No wonder SE wants to nerf GEO hardcore. Can't let attack capped 9k+ DPS cor running around winning parses I guess!

Edit: Actually I'm getting 10.3k DPS with /DRG and 10% haste samba. /DRG gives COR access to shell crusher too. Best SJ ever. If next new battle content doesn't lock SJ I'm gonna make friends with DNC and pt with them everywhere so I can /DRG all day everyday. :D
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-06-03 08:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably recommend someone just make a path a, commodore/lanun knife before I recommend an atoyac honestly. But I agree with your general point. Lanun knife costs ~1M gil on asura, it's not bad, and you can RP it yourself. That's 20 STP, and 40 racc (50 in dyna D).

Edit: I did all of my odyssey wins with a path C lanun knife that I bought for 500k and RP'd slowly myself in dyna. No one ever complained about not having +8 rolls.

I did recently get a path C rostam, because a friend sold it to me for 40M, and I had already bought one for path A for 80M earlier (DOH!).
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-06-03 12:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Rostram A path is fairly insane, but it's definitely not required. It's nice that you can spend the money to get that much of an extra upgrade if you really like the job and find yourself on it often.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-06-03 13:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Rostam is really, as Afania said, for when you want the best of the best. Commodore/Lanun knife are both very affordable and provide literally 60/80% of the bonus of Rostam A.
[+]
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2022-06-03 14:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of Rostam I wonder how others feel, I use Path B way more these days then Path A.
[+]
By Afania 2022-06-03 14:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »
Speaking of Rostam I wonder how others feel, I use Path B way more these days then Path A.

Not even a "these days" thing lol. I've been using B way more than A since it's out.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-06-03 15:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »

Not even a "these days" thing lol. I've been using B way more than A since it's out.

Rostam A before Malignance was as good as path B for melee/rangedWS (because of higher TP return on WS) while being obviously WAY better for shooting. COR was also shooting much more in the past on for example HELMs and in DynamisD when people were doing it with mages and when COR was mainly taking care of statues. Path A was used way more then. Malignance is what made path B much better, but still I would rather have Path A by far, because COR is mainly Naegling (Sheol Gaol, most Sheol C) or shooting (Sheol C, Ongo, Arebati, Ambuscades). Melee and Aeolian/WF/Leaden is mainly Dynamis, sometimes Sheol C and ML. First is almost outdated, sheol C is small part of it (tho maybe with that new plugin it might be better then shooting with triple shot idk.) and ML is not something you need to be that efficient since it has no time limit and difference between Path A and C is marginal for it, also ML has a cap, so after you are done with it, you are done with it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-06-03 17:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I would rather have Path A by far, because COR is mainly Naegling (Sheol Gaol, most Sheol C) or shooting (Sheol C, Ongo, Arebati, Ambuscades).

I agree with this. Rostam B is a nice melee weapon, but it's a lot less appealing in the current game when Naegling/Anarchy exists. Only so many situations where you really want to melee for TP but you need Leaden/WF over SB.

A for shooting is unmatched, and it's still competitive if you want to melee with it. And ahead of B, I love my C path Rostam too. Every little bit of extra potency/duration helps on stuff like getting the best possible buffs up for a Gaol NM or other tough foe, or in those situations where you're there more for buffs than anything else (SMN zergs, PUP overdrive strats, etc.). Ability to maintain an easy fulltime Crooked Cards roll (with no need for JA reset shenanigans) is nice too.
[+]
By Afania 2022-06-04 02:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The value of B to me is more than just "melee that's marginally better than A". But I'm mainly a solo/lowman player, so I understand why some people prefer A if they play FFXI differently from me.

COR was also shooting much more in the past on for example HELMs and in DynamisD when people were doing it with mages and when COR was mainly taking care of statues. Path A was used way more then.

I used B way more than A even before malig, because we actually had different DT- sets before malig existed :p, it's not like COR didn't have a DT set back in 2018-2019 before malig lol.

And A falls quite far behind B in most DT sets back then. It's only really close in a glass Cannon set with tons of multi attacks.

A high mdef/meva set build with Oshosi+1 pieces very much benefits from FUA because you aren't going to get multi attacks with haste in accessory slots. In dyna D I was able to take 300-400 dmg when NIN blow up even without defensive bubble nor scherzo. I prefer B so I can switch to such set more often with less DPS loss whenever I engage NIN.

In Omen, when I farmed my R15 upgrade I cleave with a DT- HP boost set as I pulled mobs on the entire floor as COR/RDM. I'm not going to get that much multi attack as I stay in a HP boost DT- set.

Another value in B is connecting 4 steps SC with faster melee speed. It can be somewhat difficult if you are tanking mobs. But B helps.

One of the biggest value of B IMO is Subtle blow2. COR/NIN can cap Subtle blow easily, and SB2 adds more SB on top of that. Against most NM, my general strategy is 4 step with Rostam B so I feed less TP for ***moves and still TP fast enough to connect my 4 steps. It's something that B path is very good at.

And no, naeg can never replace the value of B unless it can 4 step with capped subtle blow as effectively lol.

On the other hand, I pretty much do helm NM once or twice a year. I don't need that many aeonics. The value of A and shooting is a lot lower than B to me, because B allowed me to do my daily things more effectively.

Of course, if you only bring cor to specific things like helm NM and job change for lowman/omen cleaving/NM solo then yeah, B would be useless to you. But that doesn't apply to everybody. I legit find B more useful than A, personally.

Melee and Aeolian/WF/Leaden is mainly Dynamis, sometimes Sheol C and ML. First is almost outdated, sheol C is small part of it (tho maybe with that new plugin it might be better then shooting with triple shot idk.) and ML is not something you need to be that efficient since it has no time limit and difference between Path A and C is marginal for it,

You absolutely want to be efficient at ML if you want to hit 400k EP/hour LOL. Why wouldn't you want more EP in ML party! Once you told me 400k EP/hr is hard to hit, and I'm telling you, besides fast pulls and empty camps the only key here is have a COR or 2 with good AE gears which includes path B rostam spamming 30-40k AE really fast ;p
[+]
By Afania 2022-06-04 13:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
current game when Naegling/Anarchy exists. Only so many situations where you really want to melee for TP but you need Leaden/WF over SB.

Hmmm maybe I played different version of ffxi lol. Naeg is nice, but frequently it's FAR from the most effective way to get the job done.

Ever since I came back from a long break 2.5 months ago so far I've been using not-naeg melee on:

ML - solo 4 step: Even on knight crawler in CN_S(highest evasion mob in that zone) I've hit 31 master chain with only non-cornelia trust buffs solo. The entire reason why I can chain this high on high evasion mob solo with shitty trust buffs is because Rostam B + 4 step is just awesome.

If I use naeg there is no way that I can kill the highest level apex crawlers in 4-5 WS solo with trusts.

ML - AE cleave pt: enough said best way to gain ML so far and getting 200k-400k per hr in a good party when everything goes right(good setup, low level sync, no leeches, fast pulls and empty camps, coordinate GEO SP+WC/cutting card reset) is very doable.

ML - solo outer rakaznar bats: all the bats in outer rakaznar dies in exactly 4 WF without geo buffs unless someone break your SCs. If you have low ML or have low level sync, it's a nice camp with multiple cors soloing their own bats. A pt like tank(keep hate with aoe spells) cor cor cor cor BRD/whm(heal) can engage and solo kill 4 bats at once for nice EP gain.

Odyssey Sheol B and C solo: Leaden 4 steps works well on number of Sheol B NM if your goal is to kill them for MM. If you intend to solo trash mobs for segs, leaden/WF is pretty much the most ideal choice due to the lack of attack buffs and faster TP speed with trusts. You just have to avoid mobs that flat out resists every magical WS.

I wouldn't use naeg to kill most trash mobs in C if I'm soloing. My attack is too low with trusts. I'd only target weak to leaden mobs.

Odyssey Sheol C party
Even in a party with attack buffs, leaden WF is still frequently stronger on some mobs.

- leaden is almost always the best choice on crab/pugil because of slashing resist.

- WF is almost always the best choice on all undeads. You can kill them with exactly 2 WF unless retard DDs break your SC.

- Leaden is generally better than SB on marid, rabbit, puk.

- WF is arguably better on bats than SB unless there are retard DDs breaking your SC. Despite both WS can kill bats with exactly 2 WS, WF TP faster, and sometimes bats attack down move will push SB to 3 WS kill category.

- on higher floors, if you use a lower attack setup, such as Nyame/gleti not capped, BRD songs not capped, you died and lose SV songs, super bad luck with chaos roll, not using higher attack food like riverfin/oceanfin, then SB will suck more due to the lack of pdif.

So leaden also frequently beats SB on ziz, leopard, ram, raptor, vulture...and that's only comparing pure WS dmg, before counting extra leaden benefit like DPS from free DT and Rostam B, or triple shot during pull.

If your pdif is very low, like on floor 4, leaden can win even on penguin, karakul, colibri etc.

- Rostam B + fomal last stand is arguably better on Lamiae on lower floors too. Although I don't find it being amazing on higher floor due to the lack of pdif. It's probably worth it if you can push pdif high.

- Leaden is also pretty good on Lotanu.

So that's like half the mob in C that favors melee with a Rostam already! You can argue that those aren't a "need" but more seg is more seg.

Odyssey Sheol gaol
Rostam B + fomal last stand is the best on Xevioso I believe, again due to faster TP speed in a DT set which everybody full timed, and faster WS speed. You can use tauret evis during aura, otherwise Rostam should do more dmg. One good thing about Rostam B is that with free DT from rolls, you have extra slots for other offensive and defensive stats if you build more DT sets.

You certainly don't want to use naeg on bee.

I'm pretty sure I missed many other melee ranged WS applications in current content, cuz I'm still trying to catch up with everything. My point is screw the naeg bandwagon! :D This job is not naeg all things even outside of dyna D. It's a lot more flexible with what it can do with a rostam mainhand.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Afania 2022-06-04 15:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Stayfresh said: »
Every job is Naegling all the things lol. It’s the only thing people tell new or returning players to get. “Just get a Naegling and you can go DD”. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen that.

Even brds with a DD set has a naeg but not dagger these days, then they couldn't DD on bee D;

That being said, I think naeg works okay on most mobs in C pt except slashing resist mobs. Swapping out Naeg for leaden/wf based on pdif values is entering the territory of min maxing. It's for those who wants to win daddy's love parses.

For solo with trusts/ML, magical ws is often overwhelmingly better because pdif is so much harder to cap. So I guess the different perspective came from playing cor in buffed pt only or solo more too. /Shrug
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-06-05 13:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What's your set for melee in Sheol C Afania (when you Leaden or WF)?
[+]
 Asura.Aburaage
By Asura.Aburaage 2022-06-05 13:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

For bats/bat hot shot will do wonder.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 102 103 104 ... 121 122 123