New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - Discussion
Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 433 434 435
By clearlyamule 2018-02-28 12:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
For a mage, you don't consider adding ~30 MACC + 5 INT/MND, ~5% potency on a job's primary purpose, or +20 to any stat to be large? That's just at +2, as well. If not, I suppose we do have different definitions.

RUN's upgrade from the hat is smaller, but still what I'd call a notable upgrade given when options it opens up, and not a "hundredths of a percent" type upgrade like you were talking about. Most of them are either worthless or very small upgrades, but there's more than ~5% that aren't.
That's only 3 pieces though... but let's talk about it since you said rdm before and based on the stats you list gunna assume that's hat, feet, hands +2 as you mentioned.

Head- 27 macc 24 enfeebling skill 24 int/37 mnd.

Carmine is a pretty good option but let's go with Chironic. Just getting only the 40 macc and nothing else gets us 55 macc 29 int/mnd. So 4 more macc 5 more int 8 less mnd

hands- A big it depends really. Potentially huge in giving a good 15 macc and possibly some potency... also potentially zero on both. But generally considered worth it.

Feet- While the other stats are worse Uk'uxkaj Boots gives a bigger boost already. But regardless lets see what that 5% does. Most use would be frazzle/distract III and would be 6-7 eva/meva. Decent and helps the alliance for sure but not huge.

Run hat- The extra phalanx while nice is only really going to effect dmg taken by a small amount. Not sure what you mean by options it opens up. The pdt is easy to get really the meva is nice though af is more with more hp too. Sure kind of nice to get both together but overall changes to the set how big is that really? Sure I'd get to it eventually but at the cost of rema's it's pretty low on the priority list. Hell given the investment and improvement I'd probably go back to Farming for Ashera harness first

Regardless all of this is hemming and hawing over if it's 5 or 10% of the pieces are worth it. At the end of the day who cares? It's still a small minority of the pieces isolated to 3-4 jobs and you really have to stretch how much value some are and not count the DM augments anyone who cares that much about their job is likely to have. I mean I'm not even on Run much but I still got some DM phalanx +5s and 4 DT Herc pieces
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2018-02-28 12:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So still the same things then.

I want my gear RIGHT NOW! And I want to make a bazillion gil off it.

Be glad you don't need to kill the other Dyna pre-raid boss's to get the entry unlock prior to starting the raid itself. The raid is where you collect tokens that can be turned in to purchase pieces of class specific upgrade items, or very rarely get a piece of the item directly.

Go figure, people in an MMO complaining about how much they hate raiding in an MMO.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-02-28 12:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Carmine is a pretty good option but let's go with Chironic. Just getting only the 40 macc and nothing else gets us 55 macc 29 int/mnd. So 4 more macc 5 more int 8 less mnd

The relic hat's raw skill matters.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-02-28 12:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The reward has to match the effort.

For the shitty gear the event offers, the effort must be equal.
By Boshi 2018-02-28 12:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Quote:

this.

the +1 relic hat was still bis for frazzle3/distract3/poison2
By clearlyamule 2018-02-28 12:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Editted: Oh yeah I forgot it effects potency of frazzle. Bah too much work right now
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-02-28 12:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Quote:

I hope you realize I was counting skill in with macc there right? Because if I was just comparing macc stat Chironic would completely smash

lol
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-02-28 12:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The hat is not a MACC piece; it's an enfeebling skill + potency piece; for pure MACC, you'd want the +2/3 AF hat. The original best Enfeebling skill for that slot was the +1 relic hat. In comparison, the +2 hat gives 27 more MACC, 2 more skill, and 5 more INT/MND.

The hands gives 20 more INT, MND, or DEX, depending on what your current main purpose is. That's pretty big for enfeebles and nukes, and I guess is nice for melee if you're going that way.

Ux books have zero enfeebling skill, MACC, and inferior INT/MND, and were generally not used even in pure potency builds because the enfeebling skill on say, Skaoi boots roughly matched it on Distract/Frazzle while being far superior in MACC. The +2 Relic feet are basically Skaoi boots, except with 5 potency tacked on top of that; it's BiS for basically all enfeebles and enfeeble builds, other than the +3.

The RUN hat has enough PDT on it that it opens up some other builds, such as still capping PDT with Erilaz body, Turms hands, and Turms feet for all their unique abilities. It's not amazing, but can useful.
By Boshi 2018-02-28 12:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

in the same line, that's a big part of why the feet are so nice because they have both "potency+" and skill+
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-02-28 12:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are too fast for me at work lol.

So a little bit more potency. No one's saying it's not good or BiS or worth using. And back in day 75 era yeah everyone would've been clamoring over that just like they'd spend 200 mil on +2 acc and such.

But today with all the other things you can do and how easy it is to get stuff and the constant unease of will this be outdated it's pretty hard to convince the average person to consider doing this. Now if was similar effort as AF yeah tons would. Or if the other 18 jobs wanted in on stuff or if they just made some new BiS AC gear :p
By Nyarlko 2018-02-28 13:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
You guys are too fast for me at work lol.

So a little bit more potency. No one's saying it's not good or BiS or worth using. And back in day 75 era yeah everyone would've been clamoring over that just like they'd spend 200 mil on +2 acc and such.

But today with all the other things you can do and how easy it is to get stuff and the constant unease of will this be outdated it's pretty hard to convince the average person to consider doing this. Now if was similar effort as AF yeah tons would. Or if the other 18 jobs wanted in on stuff or if they just made some new BiS AC gear :p

...Or if they would stop with their attitude that bumping up the existing stats by a few points is worth the massive effort/investment involved. Some pieces' upgrades literally do absolutely nothing. (BST is so far over Reward cap that it's absurd.. Cap is 50% but we can break 100% rather easily. :/ But they keep bumping up the value every time anyway and calling it a day..)
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2018-02-28 13:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you imagine if instead of upping Reward Potency they increased distance from the pet you could be? Make it more like the pre-nerf, but at least make the pieces relevant to BST again
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-02-28 13:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Another way of looking at it all is, "Hooray, small upgrades to grind to make myself better at beating all the things I've beaten already without these small upgrades." Since this gear is completely unnecessary to conquer new heights, wouldn't it be nice if the grind was more interesting?

They say it isn't about the destination, it is about the journey. Well, in this content, even the journey is getting skipped.
[+]
By Afania 2018-02-28 13:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
The reward has to match the effort.

For the shitty gear the event offers, the effort must be equal.

But they can't do that, realistically. They can't just increase player power too much via relic +3 otherwise harder content would obsolete even faster. Therefore small upgrades from dynamis.

Ever since omen gear released playerbase has been destorying content, including hardcore stuff like master trials/PW2 which supposed to be hard.

If they make relic +3 gears even better than AF+3 we would just trio master trials and PW2 probably.

FFXI has been side grades and small gear increase since 75 era. I always feel omen gears/ambuscade backs are too OP for the pace of FFXI. They should have ton it down a bit.

Until they finally release stuff harder than master trials/PW2 at least.

They also can't make relic +3 less of grind than it currently is, otherwise people would 5/5 everything and quit.
 Cerberus.Boogs
Server: Cerberus
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-02-28 13:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Once Dynamis D San D'Oria was out, I had a strong suspicion that the gear would not be that great, and that the rest of the relic upgrades would be "meh" at best. The problem is that AF RF+3 is already so powerful, having Relic+3 be even more powerful than AF RF+3 on the whole would be completely game breaking. On that note, I do not expect Empyrean RF+1 to be all that big, either. It will probably be like Relic RF+3 in that some pieces are marginally better than what is already out there. If Relic RF+3 scaled up by the same degree that AF RF+3 did from AF, it would be beyond broken. And the only way to offset that would be to create content that scaled equally -- and I do not see that happening (Dynamis D is not that hard; most of the difficulty is due to it being new).

This is the main reason why I personally don't care for any of the Dynamis D at the moment. The return of investment is nowhere close to AF RF+3. Sure, in the future where I have completed my AF RF+3, Empyrean RF+1, and Relic RF+1 for the jobs that I want, I will probably get into Dynamis D a bit more.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-02-28 13:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

2/5 of any set item will be useful, the rest situational or show pieces. Some jobs got their powerful items in Sandy and Bastok, others just got a powerful item in Windy and now we have 2/5 of the items remaining to be seen. So far most jobs got at least one extremely useful item, which is to be expected when we're already seeing 3/5th of the items released.

It will be THE EXACT SAME with Empyrian gear, so everyone just get their pitchfork rioting and threats of suicide out of the way ahead of time. And no you won't be able to obtain it RIGHT NOW or make a bazillion gilz off it either, even those of you running bot armies manufacturing gil.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-02-28 14:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

For me and many i associate with, the frustration isn't as much with the gear but with the poor adaptation of the content. After the presentation of omen and all of the uniqueness with that content (timed objectives, unique mechanics associated with the midbosses and bosses, quality accessories, personal pool drops) that dynamis was thrown together with little regard for anything other than a vehicle to release the gear.

I don't think anyone familiar with old dynamis expected players to use 5/5 from every set... it wasn't that way at 75 cap, +1 version, or iLvl with that gear. Many pieces have always been just for activating a ja or the like. Thankfully some of those pieces have gotten marginal boosts to make staples of gearing that much better. And it appears that every job will get a second JSE weaponskill damage piece.

Again, I'm much more upset at the copypasta job SE did with the content over the rewards.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-02-28 14:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Again, I'm much more upset at the copypasta job SE did with the content over the rewards.

I think the Copy Pasta is what those who like it want, specifically it really does feel like old school Dyna back at 75. Can go either way and is more of a personal preference thing. I just respond to all the people screeching that they aren't upgrading five jobs to full +3 relic within a few months of release, or that they can't merc or farm a hundred million gil per day. Those are actually things people in this very thread, some within the past few pages have said.

"Most of the gear is trash" = JSE has always been 2/5th useful gear and the rest situational, 3/5 is "most" of the gear so no change from previous content.

"Drop rates too low" = Longer time to complete aka "I want to gear all my jobs immediately".

"Long lockout periods" = Different version of "Drop rates too low" or "I want to gear all my jobs immediately".

"I can afk bot farm gilz faster to just buy the medals" = The worst offenders, basically they have boiled down game play to how much gil per hour they can make. It's now "Final fantasy Tycoon" where the goal is to maximize profit in an MMO economy, instead of actually playing a video game. Also those items need to exist in the games economy to begin with so someone has to acquire them and their value is market based.

Not liking the mechanics or actual engagement of the content is completely understandable or the complete randomness of loot distribution. The shard drop rate is perfectly fine, it's the drop distribution that has issues because for many groups everyone wants the exact same items.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-02-28 15:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

At this stage in the game's life, there is no acceptable excuse for SE wasting any of the little time, resources and effort devoted to this game on items that have no reason to exist.
If only 2/5 pieces are going to be worth it, then don't update and implement all 5 pieces.
I wouldn't complain if I thought there was some larger vision to the gear, like, some of these might have hidden niches for us to discover later. But, like the examples of the BST gear, this stuff is just lazy and stupid and clearly made by a team that has no idea how the game even works today.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-02-28 15:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If they wanted to revive old school 75 Dynamis, they should have created a RoE quest of forming an alliance of 18 under Level sync 75 and complete each zone. Can repeat on each job for materials. This honestly would have offered far more nostalgic value than DynaDont.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-02-28 15:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
For me and many i associate with, the frustration isn't as much with the gear but with the poor adaptation of the content. After the presentation of omen and all of the uniqueness with that content (timed objectives, unique mechanics associated with the midbosses and bosses, quality accessories, personal pool drops) that dynamis was thrown together with little regard for anything other than a vehicle to release the gear.

I don't think anyone familiar with old dynamis expected players to use 5/5 from every set... it wasn't that way at 75 cap, +1 version, or iLvl with that gear. Many pieces have always been just for activating a ja or the like. Thankfully some of those pieces have gotten marginal boosts to make staples of gearing that much better. And it appears that every job will get a second JSE weaponskill damage piece.

SE brainstorm session..

Picture this Dyanmis...I like...but with mobs with more HP...brilliant absolutely brilliant !
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-02-28 15:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Side grades only have value if a player base is exploring different pieces of content simultaneously. Like, I can't Dynamis for some reason, so I Omen. Or, I can't Omen either, so I will Ambuscade. If this were the current environment, side grades would make perfect sense. It would allow players to explore content that meets their needs (the most obvious being party size) but still come together with comparable gear for community events (linkshell or whatever).

But since content comes out separated by months or years, the player base is largely finished with one event before the next emerges.
Some will want to blame impatient players or an expectation of instant gratification, but no one forced SE to take the game in this direction. ilvl was SE's idea, and making different tiers of ilvl was SE's doubling down on this terrible idea. But I digress.

The point I want to really lead into is, as others have said or hinted at, we're nearing the edge of acceptable power creep as far as stats go on ilvl 119 gear. Beyond where we are, and, honestly, I think it happened awhile ago, additional power creep won't be fun. The thrill of really sticking it to content is washing out into boredom.
I think someone at SE still has two brain cells to rub together, as some pieces of Relic gear augment current job abilities with new tricks. This is what every piece should be doing to breathe life into stagnant jobs and content. Doing so doesn't require adjustments to targets (ilvl 140 mobs of 2018 must be 10% more evasive and 5% more deadly than ilvl 140 mobs of 2017 due to new 2018 ilvl 119 gear...) or buffs (songs and rolls all require bumps up, as no one is using them since individual pieces of gear eclipse their benefits). It also allows jobs to find roles in newly created niches and methods for players to confront new gimmicks.
For example, what if a piece of DRK relic augmented the spell Stone to increase a target's damage taken by critical hits and blunt damage? DRKs currently have no reason to use Stone, so it wouldn't hurt anything.
BRD relic could augment any number of completely ignored BRD spells. In this way, SE could make them relevant without erasing them or changing how they are obtained, something the current team would be ill-suited to pursue.
DRG relic could add new features to Jumps, as just an idea. Not to push one job's woes onto another, but we've seen what SE turned Boost into... What if they added a relic piece that did the same to Jump, but during the delay the DRG was off screen and impervious to all damage? Wouldn't it be cool to use DRGs against Tumult Curator, Jumping to avoid Astral Flow?
Weapon Bashes could be turned into 100% horn breaks/aura breaks to ease frustration of gimmicks in Ambuscade. Rampart could be given resistance to Death, to really cement PLDs place as a holy knight and be used against Odin rather than sucking down another Reraise item and bolster a party of DDs as they beat down that one Ambuscade Qutrub.
These are just the augments I thought up as I wrote this. Obviously, ideas like these would need to be, forgive the term, balanced. But no gimmick should be sacred, as, I really think gimmicks are adding to the staleness of today's endgame.
This old game could be taught new tricks.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-02-28 15:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Picture this Dyanmis...I like...but with mobs with more HP...brilliant absolutely brilliant !

Pretty sure that's kinda how it went. Players, many on this very thread, have been complaining about content that was "too easy" with the "difficulty" being how long it took them to acquire new shiny item. Those same players were also praising how much better life was at 75 and how Abysea ruined everything by making powerful gear easily available to the masses.

So SE took one of the most iconic and memorable 75-era events, Dynamis, and gave it an iLevel update complete with new JSE. Gear now takes weeks if not months to acquire, though they game a buy to trade someone else's progress for gil. And those exact same people, complain it's not easy enough.

Lesson here is you can't make people happy no matter how much you try to. It's impossible for SE to make anything that these people wouldn't hate or wasn't unbalanced, which would cause them to eventually hate it and complain about "too easy". They want their pink unicorn and dammit they better get said unicorn and it better be pink otherwise it's all ***.
[+]
By Taint 2018-02-28 16:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Dynamis would be a success if they reduced the event to 45 minutes. Upped the drop rate of medals. Reduced mob HP by 20% and reduced zone CD to 45 hours.

2hrs of decade+ old content isn’t fun. Small doses with better reward would be more fun.

Good groups would be able to clear more mobs, bad groups could still have success.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-02-28 16:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
At this stage in the game's life, there is no acceptable excuse for SE wasting any of the little time, resources and effort devoted to this game on items that have no reason to exist.
If only 2/5 pieces are going to be worth it, then don't update and implement all 5 pieces.
I wouldn't complain if I thought there was some larger vision to the gear, like, some of these might have hidden niches for us to discover later. But, like the examples of the BST gear, this stuff is just lazy and stupid and clearly made by a team that has no idea how the game even works today.

This is most of the take away here, and the larger problem with the game as a whole now.

Wasted time. Not our time. Precious DEV time. Doing dumb ***that isn't worth. (looking at you mounts.)

Look if you're going to make something *** amazing like the 5/5 Jovian set that's pretty damn amazing for 10 jobs.... you can't go back to ***tier garbage JSE.

Inventory and time is to precious to *** around with sidegradey single job gear.

AF is -passable- at best. The effort mostly matches the reward. ACC can be important.

Large amounts of attack are completely worthless.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-02-28 16:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everyone runs around with a pet Idris Geo and Honor March Brd to cap attack in all situations :X

Even then, some more defensive mobs will still be uncapped when you aren't Bolstering, like Kin.
 Sylph.Wardeniv
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniv 2018-02-28 16:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Dynamis would be a success if they reduced the event to 45 minutes. Upped the drop rate of medals. Reduced mob HP by 20% and reduced zone CD to 45 hours.

2hrs of decade+ old content isn’t fun. Small doses with better reward would be more fun.

Good groups would be able to clear more mobs, bad groups could still have success.

Who is doing this content for two hours? No one has found the f*cking second time extension and we're about to get the final installment, lol.

How hilarious would it be if one of the rewards for clearing the megaboss in all four zones is a KI where if your ally leader enters with it you get an extra 30 minutes in zone? We've already been joking about how even if the second TE exists, we don't have much desire to find it.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-02-28 16:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Wardeniv said: »
Who is doing this content for two hours? No one has found the f*cking second time extension and we're about to get the final installment, lol.

How hilarious would it be if one of the rewards for clearing the megaboss in all four zones is a KI where if your ally leader enters with it you get an extra 30 minutes in zone? We've already been joking about how even if the second TE exists, we don't have much desire to find it.

Here's my serious question;

If you can't be bothered enough to care to look for 30 more minutes, why do you bother at all. *spoiler, I know why you do it, but do you*

It's clear you don't enjoy the event, but you do it anyway. This is the exact reason the event exists, because no matter how *** fail it is, you still do it. They have ZERO incentive to make it good.

Would you eat a bowl of literal ***if it had a shiney prize as a reward? How much would you eat before you realize "im actually eating ***, what the *** am I doing with my life". That's what I'm getting out of the people that currently do dienamis.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2018-02-28 17:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That depends on the consistency of said ***. Like can I use a straw and turn it into a fecal smoothie, or is it like current Dyna where 1/5 bowel movement buffets is actually delicious ice cream?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-02-28 17:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

This would result in less reward overall.

Did it dawn on anything who's complaining that a majority of the population doesn't play more then a two or three days a week. Having to invest near 100% of their playtime to Dynamis, so that those with nothing else to do will complain about something else, is pretty bad game design.

Treat his like any MMO raid. Those are normally behind a 5+ day lockout timer with a bunch of pre-raids that need to be done to get the unlock. In order to get the rewards guilds are required to consistently farm them. This game used to be all about that style of content, in fact many people in this very thread complained that SE needed to bring that back.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 433 434 435