Jack Of All Trades: A Guide To Red Mage

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 38 39 40
 Shiva.Cziella
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rumors
Posts: 132
By Shiva.Cziella 2018-10-12 18:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I did crocea mors path C,it's only +280% enspell dmg atm, and the highest I saw was like 620sh dmg after the RUN did Rayke/Gambit for the enspell element I had on, had ayanmo hands on too. this was on Wave3 Megaboss, it had frazzle/langour on, and malaise for cor's leaden(doesn't help with enspell dmg, but I was also spamming Sanguine to not kill melee SCs)

At the end of the fight, I did 6% dmg on Megaboss, as RDM/BLM, with just enspell+Sanguine, and my own rdm buffs, no cor rolls/songs, just haste II/temperII, while fully supporting an alliance, (7 haste cycle, 4 refreshes) and it was fun "being so busy, while contributing some dmg"

Does Crocea Mors Path B competes with Almace rank 15 for pure DD? I went path C b/c I have Almace rank15 for melee, do I need to get another Mors for path B?!
 Fenrir.Kazeki
Offline
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Kazeki
Posts: 9
By Fenrir.Kazeki 2018-10-12 22:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I started a path B Crocea on my alt but I haven't even able to put any gil/time into it to see how it does. :(
 Asura.Mcdonalds
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 45
By Asura.Mcdonalds 2018-10-16 06:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Shiva.Cziella said: »
I did crocea mors path C,it's only +280% enspell dmg atm, and the highest I saw was like 620sh dmg after the RUN did Rayke/Gambit for the enspell element I had on, had ayanmo hands on too. this was on Wave3 Megaboss, it had frazzle/langour on, and malaise for cor's leaden(doesn't help with enspell dmg, but I was also spamming Sanguine to not kill melee SCs)

At the end of the fight, I did 6% dmg on Megaboss, as RDM/BLM, with just enspell+Sanguine, and my own rdm buffs, no cor rolls/songs, just haste II/temperII, while fully supporting an alliance, (7 haste cycle, 4 refreshes) and it was fun "being so busy, while contributing some dmg"

Does Crocea Mors Path B competes with Almace rank 15 for pure DD? I went path C b/c I have Almace rank15 for melee, do I need to get another Mors for path B?!

What about something like apex? My rdm en-spells are hitting for 100+. I tried ambu on very easy with frazzle 3 and endpells were hitting for 180 a hit. Any way you could share numbers on content not wave 3? :)
Offline
Posts: 823
By Boshi 2018-10-16 21:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Frazzle wont make enspell jump 80 dmg. It just raises chance of it doing it's max dmg unresisted. The extra dmg can be from specific mob weakness (orpheus and day and weather affect it too)

I don't have in in front of me iirc the max base enspell dmg is 103 without x2 skill+ weapons midcast and 106 with x2 /nin ? i might be off by 1 or 2
 Shiva.Cziella
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rumors
Posts: 132
By Shiva.Cziella 2018-10-17 00:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Was at work all day, RDM/BLM, 614 skill enspell, only ayanmo+2 for enspell gear besides sword, no other debuffs on mob, you can see the day procs, sword is actually rank 17 now (+340% enspell) unloaded battle mod so ppl don't see absurd additional effect dmg added up.



I also wanna "humble brag" that was allowed to come rdm/nin to dynamis as a DD (only had to haste 2 ppl, and refresh 2, and do debuffs on bosses/NMs) our alliance was probably not meta, our DDs were WAR, CORx3, RDM, BRD, BLU, BLMx2, rest were support/mules, I came 1st for overall damage, and 3rd for wave3 boss, by a margin of 3% between 1st and 2nd, 1st was a cor, 2nd was war. All of these are exceptional players, and to say "get better war/cors" would be a huge injustice, we cleared boss w/ like 21mins left. There were lag factors, and things like WAR having to sub tank, b/c we only had 1 pld main tank, and pld isn't great to hold hate on wave3 boss. Overall I thought it was cool that we were able to go on jobs we need RP and/or have fun on, and still were able to clear content relatively fast.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Online
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-17 01:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
That's incredibly interesting. 100% useless, but still very interesting.

(he added more) Just to be clear, I always advocate that a RDM melee, if it's not a detriment.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 320
By SimonSes 2018-10-17 06:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Does Ele. weapon skill damage +100% on Crocea actually boost elemental weapon skills damage with listed %, or is it another bad translation and it does something else, like for example adds fTP to all weapon skills (like Mekira-oto which has similar wording on it).
 Asura.Mcdonalds
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 45
By Asura.Mcdonalds 2018-10-17 10:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Shiva.Cziella said: »
Was at work all day, RDM/BLM, 614 skill enspell, only ayanmo+2 for enspell gear besides sword, no other debuffs on mob, you can see the day procs, sword is actually rank 17 now (+340% enspell) unloaded battle mod so ppl don't see absurd additional effect dmg added up.



I also wanna "humble brag" that was allowed to come rdm/nin to dynamis as a DD (only had to haste 2 ppl, and refresh 2, and do debuffs on bosses/NMs) our alliance was probably not meta, our DDs were WAR, CORx3, RDM, BRD, BLU, BLMx2, rest were support/mules, I came 1st for overall damage, and 3rd for wave3 boss, by a margin of 3% between 1st and 2nd, 1st was a cor, 2nd was war. All of these are exceptional players, and to say "get better war/cors" would be a huge injustice, we cleared boss w/ like 21mins left. There were lag factors, and things like WAR having to sub tank, b/c we only had 1 pld main tank, and pld isn't great to hold hate on wave3 boss. Overall I thought it was cool that we were able to go on jobs we need RP and/or have fun on, and still were able to clear content relatively fast.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. I only use rdm for cp farming. This looks to be extremely worth it to me.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Offline
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
Posts: 3190
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2018-10-18 08:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Anyone stun-gun Zerde? I thought I had a pretty decent macc set, but after the ES-Stun at the start, I would resist pretty frequently. Does it hit a stun wall from spamming (i.e. do you just watch for Just Desserts) or is it just a lack in macc?

Also, is avatar stun more accurate than player based stun due to level and gear availability? Would it be easier to stun spam with Ramuh instead?
Offline
Posts: 823
By Boshi 2018-10-18 09:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Been stunning it since it was new never really had a problem, buttttt I'm sure I have geo buffs/debuffs

you could always pop chainspell and go full macc during that for a small difference
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Offline
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
Posts: 3190
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2018-10-18 09:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Boshi said: »
Been stunning it since it was new never really had a problem, buttttt I'm sure I have geo buffs/debuffs

you could always pop chainspell and go full macc during that for a small difference

Chainspell and full macc is what I did. :/ I may have had Languor but definitely not Focus.

Grio +18macc aug / Enki / / Regal Gem
Carmine +1 / Duelist Torque NQ / Dignitary / Regal Earring
Atrophy +2 / Jhakri +2 / Stikini NQ / Weatherspoon
Sucellos's / Eschan Stone / Chironic Hose +33macc aug / Jhakri +2

Are there many glaring improvements? I did use Crepe +1 instead of Marine Stewpot which could push me another 40 macc.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
Posts: 461
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-10-18 09:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Since you're already using one piece of atrophy and the regal earring. Atrophy Head +2 would provide you with slightly more acc I think than Carmine +1.

Possible minor improvements would be:
luminary sash +3 macc
rubicundity + Ammurapi shield should be really good for stun. Probably BIS.
Rubicundity can get additional macc in the form of augments of +10 macc and +10 dark skill.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: toralin
Posts: 721
By Asura.Toralin 2018-10-18 09:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Generally the first stun if well geared doesnt need ES, but after that without focus/languor and even somewhat max'd sets ive seen resists

on SMN burn we would use GEO/BLM(geo-malaise,indi-haste,entrust languor on tank) and the SCH/BLM would ES stun at start, then geo would pop es wait for desserts, after it stunned, pop super revit-> es, wait for another one, by that time it should be dead
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
Posts: 81
By Asura.Sirris 2018-10-18 10:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Anyone stun-gun Zerde? I thought I had a pretty decent macc set, but after the ES-Stun at the start, I would resist pretty frequently. Does it hit a stun wall from spamming (i.e. do you just watch for Just Desserts) or is it just a lack in macc?

Also, is avatar stun more accurate than player based stun due to level and gear availability? Would it be easier to stun spam with Ramuh instead?

Speaking of this, I actually stunned a Zerde last night to help my lsmate get his final HELM. Zero resists. Not sure if Languor was up. I had stewpot + Assasin's Drink + Warlock's Roll but not perfect gear. Still very good good with high augments, focused on MACC and then INT. I'd switch to max Rubi + Amm shield for next time for sure.

For SMNburn it's best to pop Chainspell prepop right after ES. CS will last longer than the fight, if it's a win. That's where I messed up, even with Haste2 my Stun recast was long enough that he got something off before I hit my 2nd Stun, but it wasn't Just Desserts so we still won.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Offline
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
Posts: 3190
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2018-10-18 11:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Since you're already using one piece of atrophy and the regal earring. Atrophy Head +2 would provide you with slightly more acc I think than Carmine +1.

Possible minor improvements would be:
luminary sash +3 macc
rubicundity + Ammurapi shield should be really good for stun. Probably BIS.
Rubicundity can get additional macc in the form of augments of +10 macc and +10 dark skill.

Thanks, I do have a max aug Rubicundity and that sash, but no Ammurapi shield yet so will need to do a comparison between what next best shield and current setup does for me. Should have enough cards to +2 my RDM head.

Asura.Sirris said: »
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Anyone stun-gun Zerde? I thought I had a pretty decent macc set, but after the ES-Stun at the start, I would resist pretty frequently. Does it hit a stun wall from spamming (i.e. do you just watch for Just Desserts) or is it just a lack in macc?

Also, is avatar stun more accurate than player based stun due to level and gear availability? Would it be easier to stun spam with Ramuh instead?

Speaking of this, I actually stunned a Zerde last night to help my lsmate get his final HELM. Zero resists. Not sure if Languor was up. I had stewpot + Assasin's Drink + Warlock's Roll but not perfect gear. Still very good good with high augments, focused on MACC and then INT. I'd switch to max Rubi + Amm shield for next time for sure.

For SMNburn it's best to pop Chainspell prepop right after ES. CS will last longer than the fight, if it's a win. That's where I messed up, even with Haste2 my Stun recast was long enough that he got something off before I hit my 2nd Stun, but it wasn't Just Desserts so we still won.

I think I forgot about Assassin's drink too. As far as the fight itself, do you 1.) ignore log and spam stun as much as possible, 2.) watch log for stun to wear and spam stun, 3.) watch for tp move animation and stun, 4.) watch log for Just Desserts and stun?

I had been doing #1, but most every other fight that I stun as BLU I'll do #3.

One of the thoughts I had was to have someone else get the first ES Stun to give me enough time to get ES+Sab Frazzle III on it which would help both stun accuracy by ~100 macc and the SMN damage.
Offline
Posts: 95
By Quendi210 2018-10-18 11:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
One of the thoughts I had was to have someone else get the first ES Stun to give me enough time to get ES+Sab Frazzle III on it which would help both stun accuracy by ~100 macc and the SMN damage.

When I was doing this role we always had a BLM do 1st Stun which gave me time for ES/Stymie + Saboteur Frazzle III.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Offline
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
Posts: 254
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2018-10-18 13:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Zerde generally requires me to ES+stun at start... followed by chainspell debuffs.. then sit just stun desserts. If you try to stun lock him generally its worse off because your chances of a resist and spell/animation lock is when he will get you :P
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
Posts: 461
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-10-18 13:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Since you're already using one piece of atrophy and the regal earring. Atrophy Head +2 would provide you with slightly more acc I think than Carmine +1.

Possible minor improvements would be:
Luminary Sash +3 macc
Rubicundity + Ammurapi Shield should be really good for stun. Probably BIS.
Rubicundity can get additional macc in the form of augments of +10 macc and +10 dark skill.

Thanks, I do have a max aug Rubicundity and that sash, but no Ammurapi shield yet so will need to do a comparison between what next best shield and current setup does for me. Should have enough cards to +2 my RDM head.

That would probably be a thuellaic ecu +1 which I think are purchasable on the AH.

Should slightly edge out a Grio with just +19 macc + Enki for accuracy if my brain math checks out.

Grio/Enki: 29 INT, 43 macc, ~7 macc from magic accuracy skill
Rub/Thuelliac: 21 INT, 40 macc, 25 dark skill
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Offline
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
Posts: 3190
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2018-10-20 13:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. With Frazzle III at start, Entrust Indi-Focus, and switching to Stewpot instead of crepe, and the few gear changes had zero resists with stun.
 Bahamut.Agerine
Online
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Agerine
Posts: 225
By Bahamut.Agerine 2018-11-04 00:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Hey y’all, I have 2 Vitiation Swords comin my way next few days and was wondering what would be community input on PathA//PathB choices. One sword will be dedicated to PathC utility build but not sure if STP20 would be better than Follow up Attack. From what I understand PathB augments Da/TA to mke it a step up and does NOT come into conflict with Temper2... Leaning towards Path B ATM..If anyone has insight I would appreciate some words on the subject:) RDM is Bestmage~
Offline
Posts: 823
By Boshi 2018-11-04 09:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Follow up attack is gonna be better meeleeing but almace/sequence probably still win.


Honestly, best part about it I would put it in your default precast/midcast anything as priority=1 (unless weapon locked for /nin) just cause of huge mp hp
[+]
Offline
Posts: 823
By Boshi 2018-11-04 09:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quendi210 said: »
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
One of the thoughts I had was to have someone else get the first ES Stun to give me enough time to get ES+Sab Frazzle III on it which would help both stun accuracy by ~100 macc and the SMN damage.

When I was doing this role we always had a BLM do 1st Stun which gave me time for ES/Stymie + Saboteur Frazzle III.

This, we have a blm pop es rigth before tank pops it, i pop my es sab.

while blm does initial stun i cast frazzle 3, then CS and hop into stun mode
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Online
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 6014
By Asura.Saevel 2018-11-04 12:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
ES Sab Frazzle III with a good set absolutely destroys MEVD.
 Asura.Netero
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Bodille
Posts: 24
By Asura.Netero 2018-11-11 16:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
How much wsd/status needed to be on Chironic Slippers to be worthy for SB or DB?
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 4997
By Asura.Sechs 2018-11-11 17:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Netero said: »
How much wsd/status needed to be on Chironic Slippers to be worthy for SB or DB?
Yeah good question.
Main two contenders would be Jhakri+2 (att uncapped) and Ayanmo+2 with Set bonus (att capped).
Talking about Savage Blade only.
I wonder how much WSD would you need on Chironic Slippers for them to beat those two options? Any other better options I missed to mention?


Adding two more questions myself:

1) Do you guys use Vitiation+3 body or Lethargy+1 in the buff-others-composure set? From my calculation both should provide 15% duration, but according to the order this gets applied, one could be better than the other

2) How exactely do options like Umuthi Hat and Ayanmo+2 hands work for Enspell tier1? If I recall they need to be worn and not used on midcast, correct?
 Asura.Cicion
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: cicion
Posts: 136
By Asura.Cicion 2018-11-11 19:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Need to worn while meleeing sechs pretty sure for Umuthi Hat and Ayanmo+2 hands effect for enspell. Would been great if it was like phalanx + gear and just needed to be worn on midcast.
[+]
 Asura.Netero
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Bodille
Posts: 24
By Asura.Netero 2018-11-12 01:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Sechs said: »
Asura.Netero said: »
How much wsd/status needed to be on Chironic Slippers to be worthy for SB or DB?
Yeah good question.
Main two contenders would be Jhakri+2 (att uncapped) and Ayanmo+2 with Set bonus (att capped).
Talking about Savage Blade only.
I wonder how much WSD would you need on Chironic Slippers for them to beat those two options? Any other better options I missed to mention?


Adding two more questions myself:

1) Do you guys use Vitiation+3 body or Lethargy+1 in the buff-others-composure set? From my calculation both should provide 15% duration, but according to the order this gets applied, one could be better than the other

2) How exactely do options like Umuthi Hat and Ayanmo+2 hands work for Enspell tier1? If I recall they need to be worn and not used on midcast, correct?

i do not use Viti body +3 when composure is up, viti has almost 18 sec less or so~
one may ignore that difference trying to save inventory but lethargy body is needed for enfeebling stuff xD
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 4997
By Asura.Sechs 2018-11-12 04:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply
 
And Lethargy body is getting +3 version soon anyway.
But in THEORY they should give 15% each. The fact that Lethargy is giving you ~18 more seconds means there must be a difference in the multiplicative/additive order those two "15% bonus" get applied to the formula.

I'm too dumb with math to explain it better but I'm sure it's something about that.
I currently use Vitiation+3 for self buff though, except for Regen.

One thing Vitiation+3 has over Lethargy is the additional enha skill, but when it comes to buffs you can give others that never matters anyway.
Only thing I can think of is Haste.
In theory skill worn midcast makes so Haste doesn't get overwrote by Slow, but I don't think anybody ever delved into this mechanism to see exactely how it works. I bet it's in tiers and the enha skill level when Haste is cast gets compared to... the enha skill level of the monster that tries to cast slow on your hasted target? And if your enhaskill is higher then no overwrite? Or something like that?
Probably.
Would be cool if someone was so bored to actually do a small research on that.


Speaking of which: off topic but it's a shame that in these days enha skill is hardly relevant for 99% of enha spells.
Back in the lv75 era it was (slightly?) more relevant, I think that was nice. These days it feels sort of like an useless skill to have, aside from a couple of exeptions like Temper, Phalanx etc.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
Posts: 461
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-11-12 05:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Lethargy is only 10% per piece, but since composure is a completely different term it ends up being significant.

Actually, I'm doing the math again. I know I did it a few months ago with different results so I could be doing it wrong so for composure on others I'm getting Relic +3 with a 10 second lead over Lethargy +1 in a BiS set.

Here's my crappy excel math
Base Duration Armor duration duration (aug) Composure Total Duration Minutes Seconds
200 AF+3 Hands, Relic +3 Body, Emp+1 Feet, JSE(WKR) Cape+20, Telchinex2+10, Colada+4, Ammurapi Shield, NeckR25 75 69 0 591 9 51
200 (Changes) Emp+1 Head/Body/Legs 60 49 35 642 10 42
200 (Changes) Emp+1 Head/Body or Body/Legs 60 59 20 609 10 09
200 (Changes) Emp+1 Body 60 69 10 594 9 54
200 (Changes) Emp+1 Head or Legs 75 59 10 611 10 11
200 (Changes) Emp+1 Head/Legs 75 49 20 677 10 25
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 4997
By Asura.Sechs 2018-11-12 06:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Your math might be wrong because, if we are to trust BG-Wiki, the Lethargy set bonus is not 10% per piece.
See more details HERE

Try again applying 15% and see if your math changes and makes Lethargy win over Vitiation+3, as Netero reported.



Edit:
Once you're done could you please check if Neck on/off change anything? Thanks!
First Page 2 3 ... 38 39 40
Log in to post.