Forum » FFXI » General » May 2016 Version Update
May 2016 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-05-12 01:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm with you. I prefer my trusts to do what I summoned them for: buff and tank. Landing a ws in the middle of my skillchain is really annoying. Though the other buffs are useful.

I wonder if this means I can reliably solo Dawn on Diff now. Might still have to ride DT sets, but may have a fighting chance once campaign rolls around.
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-05-12 03:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Just tested trusts doing leviathan D and they are back to failing, august was taking around 300-500 from grand fall pre-maint and this time it got 1-shot lol, oh well it was good while it lasted i guess.
 Bahamut.Sukoshi
Server: Bahamut
user: Vishnuff
By Bahamut.Sukoshi 2016-05-12 04:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Phuoc said: »
Just tested trusts doing leviathan D and they are back to failing, august was taking around 300-500 from grand fall pre-maint and this time it got 1-shot lol, oh well it was good while it lasted i guess.

Yeap, they back to normal :/
 Quetzalcoatl.Gencay
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gencay
By Quetzalcoatl.Gencay 2016-05-12 04:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont know about normal it feels like there a bit weaker then they normally are? cause b4 bug hit that buffed them friends shantotto II was still doing decent now it feels like they over gimped some of em?
 Ragnarok.Figster
user: polorat12
By Ragnarok.Figster 2016-05-12 04:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So trusts accidentally got buffed so people could do events and battlefields without requiring a group but not overpoweredly so and it got nerfed because....SE doesn't want you to be able to solo things in an empty game? I am so confused.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-12 04:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Game isn't empty at all?
Some servers might be empty and I have no trouble believing that, but allowing people to solo because server is empty clearly isn't the right solution. They should just merge those servers.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-05-12 04:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Figster said: »
So trusts accidentally got buffed so people could do events and battlefields without requiring a group but not overpoweredly so and it got nerfed because....SE doesn't want you to be able to solo things in an empty game? I am so confused.

Why are you still around in an empty game? You were never supposed to solo anything you normally couldn't without a bug to give your trusts a steroid cocktail.
By Zeak 2016-05-12 05:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust are indeed back to normal, albeit Shantotto is still buggy. In addition to the lack of MB during Scission/Reverberation that was in the update bug list, it seems she has completely forgotten how to SC. She's made a new habit of closing Level 1 SCs when should could close Level 2. For example, she keeps closing Blade: Kamu with Emphyrical Research, which makes Transfixion, instead of Lesson in Pain, which would make Distortion (And thus set-up a double Hi closer). Other than that, we're back to the usual, so Qultada is usable again, and only August will ruin your solo-SC at the worst time. Hurray!

That said, I'd much rather see some AI adjustments before we EVER see 100% accuracy/high stats glitch again. Those things are nice to brute force things down, but not exactly necessary since they shouldn't have to exceed players in sheer stats to be reliable. Things like Qultada busting every 2 minutes, Kupipi blowing all her MP on Cure VI every time someone gets a scratch, or Sylvie/Ulmia having a panic attack every time someone dips in Accuracy/MP would be better things to "fix". At least, I think it would be better in the long run than giving them capped accuracy, absurdly high unresistable damage, or enough evasion to make NMs start sweating themselves.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Figster
user: polorat12
By Ragnarok.Figster 2016-05-12 06:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Why are you still around in an empty game? You were never supposed to solo anything you normally couldn't without a bug to give your trusts a steroid cocktail.

I just got back, and it seems super empty. LS is slow, shouts are non-existent, I rarely see anyone doing NM's. It's slow. And ya, I do want a bit of a steroid for trusts. I was at the point where trusts were a dps possibility, tanks could keep hate and contribute to killing something, and skillchains weren't ***. I don't need them to be overpowered, I'd just like them to be worth it.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-05-12 08:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I just got back, and it seems super empty. LS is slow, shouts are non-existent, I rarely see anyone doing NM's. It's slow. And ya, I do want a bit of a steroid for trusts. I was at the point where trusts were a dps possibility, tanks could keep hate and contribute to killing something, and skillchains weren't ***. I don't need them to be overpowered, I'd just like them to be worth it.

It's a Catch 22. If Trusts remained that strong, you'd be able to solo some stuff, but if you're just coming back you'd pretty much have to write off the possibility of ever getting a group for anything on any job other than GEO or COR (since Trusts don't have access to player gear) because a person making a group could just summon a Trust that was dramatically stronger than you, no matter what role you sought to fill.

I'm not exaggerating when I say the tanks were operating on Burtgang PLD level and while Shantotto II wasn't beating me, magic bursts were, uh, putting her on the board, which really shouldn't happen.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-05-12 09:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeak said: »
Trust are indeed back to normal, albeit Shantotto is still buggy. In addition to the lack of MB during Scission/Reverberation that was in the update bug list, it seems she has completely forgotten how to SC. She's made a new habit of closing Level 1 SCs when should could close Level 2. For example, she keeps closing Blade: Kamu with Emphyrical Research, which makes Transfixion, instead of Lesson in Pain, which would make Distortion (And thus set-up a double Hi closer). Other than that, we're back to the usual, so Qultada is usable again, and only August will ruin your solo-SC at the worst time. Hurray!

That said, I'd much rather see some AI adjustments before we EVER see 100% accuracy/high stats glitch again. Those things are nice to brute force things down, but not exactly necessary since they shouldn't have to exceed players in sheer stats to be reliable. Things like Qultada busting every 2 minutes, Kupipi blowing all her MP on Cure VI every time someone gets a scratch, or Sylvie/Ulmia having a panic attack every time someone dips in Accuracy/MP would be better things to "fix". At least, I think it would be better in the long run than giving them capped accuracy, absurdly high unresistable damage, or enough evasion to make NMs start sweating themselves.

This comment is pure gold.

Sadly, Shantotto II was probably the best DD trust you could use when trying to maximize your dmg in small solo party, and I find it convenient they mananaged to f*ck that up. With that being said, all of the issues you mentioned in the second paragraph are serious concerns. We could also throw in the fact that Apururu would spend half the fight running around looking for a good spot to cure, though they seem to have fixed a portion of that bug.

It seems like with SE, its either Buff or Bust. They have no idea how to balance these trusts reliably without there being a hiccup. You either superbuff them to where Joachim is chucking stones and parsing a .06% record high, or August, the best tank in the game, gets killed in 2 hits to Promathia diff. Amchuchu survives 3 hits because of Foil/Battuta.

What a sad day. And I didn't even get to solo any tough battlefields in the midst of this bug. cryface.
[+]
By Inudesu 2016-05-12 10:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Quote:

It's a Catch 22. If Trusts remained that strong, you'd be able to solo some stuff, but if you're just coming back you'd pretty much have to write off the possibility of ever getting a group for anything on any job other than GEO or COR (since Trusts don't have access to player gear) because a person making a group could just summon a Trust that was dramatically stronger than you, no matter what role you sought to fill.

I'm not exaggerating when I say the tanks were operating on Burtgang PLD level and while Shantotto II wasn't beating me, magic bursts were, uh, putting her on the board, which really shouldn't happen.

These guys were so broken that I was soloing Apex Crabs and never losing my chain. I hit something like 35 cap chain before I caught aggro accidentally and called it quits. It would have ruined the game

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-05-12 11:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

darkwaffle said: »
Well Gessho tanked Taelmoth like a boss for a short while at least - was able to finally get some Herc Gloves at the eleventh hour lol. Something like that might make a nice campaign boost at some point but making it permanent would just be silly.

Grats on your gloves! An occasional short event would be fun, but the HP/MP event buff is really the only thing they "need"; that doesn't really make anything any easier, it just gives you more wiggle room.

Anyway, I hope everybody who needed it had a chance to take care of some lingering stuff they needed while this bug was active.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-05-12 11:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be in favor of a stat vomit campaign for trusts that came around as infrequently as the HP/MP buff.
By fillerbunny9 2016-05-12 11:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

if you're just coming back, those are STILL the only jobs you would be allowed to play. no one is going to bring a Delve or even Alluvion BLM or DD.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-05-12 11:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the central problem is less about Trusts > gimps than it is the HP scaling mechanic. Even if a player is stronger than a trust, they are likely not strong enough to counterbalance the extra max HP they're giving the target simply by being there. It's stupid.

So much of this game is puggable by anybody with one or two people who know what they're doing, but it never comes together because those one or two people gain nothing by cooperating with the undergeared even if the undergeared perform as well as the pros, as limited by their gear.

HP scaling needs to be abolished or (more likely) reduced to the point where bringing another warm body capable of filling their assigned role and not dying is never a detriment.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-05-12 11:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the central problem is less about Trusts > gimps than it is the HP scaling mechanic. Even if a player is stronger than a trust, they are likely not strong enough to counterbalance the extra max HP they're giving the target simply by being there. It's stupid.

So much of this game is puggable by anybody with one or two people who know what they're doing, but it never comes together because those one or two people gain nothing by cooperating with the undergeared even if the undergeared perform as well as the pros, as limited by their gear.

HP scaling needs to be abolished or (more likely) reduced to the point where bringing another warm body capable of filling their assigned role and not dying is never a detriment.

It is an interesting situation, isn't it? If you remove the HP scaling, it wouldn't be difficult enough for the hardcore end game people. IF you bring it up to the level for the hardcore crowd, returning players have little hope.

I tell you what I really want. A way to kill ***without relying on magic bursts. Making something mechanically impossible to beat isn't fun. It really disheartens me in a game where there is so much potential, you can't beat certain NMs at all without mages. Zerde is *** impossible without mages, but it's a flan and that is sorta okay to me. One mob like that, which honestly makes sense considering it's family... that's okay. . But Warder of Courage, Schah, Albumen, Kirin(You're still magic bursting, even it is SMNs) and Vinipata are all on that list also. So of the 9 true end game mobs, you have 6 that are not going to die without magic bursts.

I understand making it difficult to win using something other than the optimal strategy, but making it mechanically impossible? No thanks.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-05-12 12:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

It is an interesting situation, isn't it? If you remove the HP scaling, it wouldn't be difficult enough for the hardcore end game people. IF you bring it up to the level for the hardcore crowd, returning players have little hope.

I tell you what I really want. A way to kill ***without relying on magic bursts. Making something mechanically impossible to beat isn't fun. It really disheartens me in a game where there is so much potential, you can't beat certain NMs at all without mages. Zerde is *** impossible without mages, but it's a flan and that is sorta okay to me. One mob like that, which honestly makes sense considering it's family... that's okay. . But Warder of Courage, Schah, Albumen, Kirin(You're still magic bursting, even it is SMNs) and Vinipata are all on that list also. So of the 9 true end game mobs, you have 6 that are not going to die without magic bursts.

I understand making it difficult to win using something other than the optimal strategy, but making it mechanically impossible? No thanks.

Ideally a group that didn't know what it was doing would get wiped out by mechanics anyway, so it wouldn't necessarily matter if something had 1 million HP or 600,000.

Ultimately, if you can do something with 6, you shouldn't be penalized for doing it with 12.
By baroma 2016-05-12 14:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shantotto II is still MBing like crazy with me, at old merit bird camp kicking ***. (75-78)
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-05-12 15:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I can understand HP scaling, but I think they could have found more creative ways to make some enemies more challenging. At the very least, however, most of the highest level fights do change behavior based on HP: Kirin transforms; WoC puts on bracelets (and you never know with Benediction; Albumen's HP down gets stronger; Vinipata Meikyo's more often and gains multiattacks or some kind of attack boost; Onychophora absorbs under more conditions.

Ultimately the extra HP is a challenge because of the time limits in these fights, though. I mean, I get that they don't want people zerging everything, but there are also a variety of ways they can also punish certain strategies.
[+]
 Asura.Sabishii
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2016-05-15 12:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Summoned august, yoran-oran, and king of hearts to fight a D ouryu with some friends. Breath killed them right away before they could even do any buffs. THey only had mighty guard and they got one shot. WTF? The trusts are supposed to be stronger than normal during the campaign, but it looks like they're weaker than before the trust bug.
By Afania 2016-05-15 13:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you absolutely sure none MB strats can't kill those? Have you tried melee strat with blus, COR leaden SC strat, or bstga on those? Since you're from pet LS and have access to mythic bsts you probably have tried bstga on those. But what about 3 super buffed decked out blu zerg (with honor march and 2 AG weapons)or something like 3 DPIII Cor scing with SCH?

I'm just wondering because I think other PT setup isn't fully explored yet. The first group find blm MB being the easiest, and probably less gear requirement too,so every other group just copy and paste the same setup. Since it's beatable with currently known strat there's no point to try harder PT setups for the same result anymore.

Not a lot of people bother to spend millions of Gil to gear none blm SCH jobs for T4 as well, even if someone wants to try new setup it'd be hard to make an ally for it, with right jobs and gears. So that makes it harder to explore other possible setups.

That being said, I think it's still a little too early to assume those NM are impossible to beat without magic burst. Although we'll probably never see a group bother to try other PT setup anyways. Too much work.
 Cerberus.Stereo
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Stereo 2016-05-15 14:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not like TP zerg didn't exist for a long enough time to make the game just a zerg fest. But I share the sentiment that making everything that is meant to be challenging melee unfriendly is lame.

SCH being able to SC was the dumbest, most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE mistake SE ever made. Making 1 handed weapons so powerful was the second dumbest.

Its like there were zero handover notes when this new dev team came into play.

We're reliving the exact same mistakes of the past.

- 1 handed weapons good, 2 handed bad- Check (FFXI 2002-2007)
- Mages good, melee bad - check (FFXI 2002-2007)

What's next? A staff that grants -80% DMG taken and goes beyond - damage% cap?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-05-15 14:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Stereo said: »
hi2u manawall
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2016-05-15 14:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Terra staff tanking hype.
[+]
 Cerberus.Stereo
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Stereo 2016-05-15 14:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Soon: Divine Might XXXIV - looking for BLM kiters, PLD healers.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-17 04:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bomb Mount confirmed.
Screenshots here:

Shown in the May Version update livestream.
By FaeQueenCory 2016-05-17 06:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not like TP zerg didn't exist for a long enough time to make the game just a zerg fest. But I share the sentiment that making everything that is meant to be challenging melee unfriendly is lame.

SCH being able to SC was the dumbest, most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE mistake SE ever made. Making 1 handed weapons so powerful was the second dumbest.

Its like there were zero handover notes when this new dev team came into play.

We're reliving the exact same mistakes of the past.

- 1 handed weapons good, 2 handed bad- Check (FFXI 2002-2007)
- Mages good, melee bad - check (FFXI 2002-2007)

But that's what everyone wanted, right?? To go back to the 75era again, right!?!?
9_9

;p
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-17 07:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

But I share the sentiment that making everything that is meant to be challenging melee unfriendly is lame.
I share the sentiment completely, I just disagree with the part that this situation is nothing new?
Wasn't it exactely the same identical situation, just with different actors, for the years before?
Didn't we abuse the same Melees (rotating them according to the "job of the month" vibe) to zerge or melee down pretty much everything with some variations here and there and a lot of ptswapping for BRDs and CORs?

When is the last time that mages have mattered for something, aside from very lonely exceptions?
And no, Abyssea and Voidwatch were a trick, they mattered not for what the job brought but for the necessity of having procs.
Which is a compromise I guess, but a pretty artificial one and after years of it we all got very bored of playing the job only to proc something then going back afk until stuff is dead.

Yes, this is what I don't understand, people complaining like this is something new and not something that has been going on in FFXI for EONS.
If anything I'd criticize that for the majority of time SE has failed into providing content that
1) was aimed at very different PT setups
2) was something that mattered
3) was a choice large enough (i.e. not one single NM out of 30 different events)
4) last long enough (i.e. not 2 months and then back to the "one-setup-only" stygma)

Because yes, change the actors, put SAMs or WARs or DRKs or MNKs or whatever else in place of BLMs and SCHs, but it's the same identical formula mostly all these past years, not something "new" that started lately with the SC+MB setup and SE sucks because they're so mean and they hate melees.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10