So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 18 19 20
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-28 18:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Augment Manuvers..... or "transfers Masters Buffs to auto" something unique would be cool
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-28 19:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

darthmaull said: »
Ok I've been looking over attachments because I'm not at 1200 jp yet and I'm wondering if the attachments Steam Jacket and Equalizer can be helpful. Do either one of these attachments reduce damage as though it were -DT? right now with SS/Harl I can put Mana Jammer 4 and 1 and Steam Jacket. Armor Plate 4 and Equalizer.

No and no.

For Equalizer, you have to use earth maneuvers to get effect from it. That's one strike against it as we ideally will not use any earth maneuvers when tanking. The second thing is that it is only PDT, which is easy enough to cap with 100jp anyway. The THIRD reason it isn't useful is that it's less effective the more HP your Automaton has. It's only useful application is preventing your Puppet from being one-shotted by a target that deals NO magical damage.

Steam Jacket is useless because it resets DT every time it takes damage from another source. I.E. You get hit by slashing damage for 500. You take another hit for 500. The third hit will only deal 375. Sounds great! Unless he gets hit by anything else between that time. Then he takes just as much damage. It would be very useful to mitigate magical damage, but chances are damn good that it is going to get hit by an auto attack and reset itself before it takes another 2 hits from magic.

Leviathan.Krysten said: »
Augment Manuvers..... or "transfers Masters Buffs to auto" something unique would be cool

I'd prefer to transfer attachment effects to master. You wanna talk about OP....
By darthmaull 2015-10-28 19:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I didn't know if Equalizer was -dt or -pdt but from your last statement on it, it also prevents being one shotted like Schurzen?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-28 19:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

darthmaull said: »
Ok I didn't know if Equalizer was -dt or -pdt but from your last statement on it, it also prevents being one shotted like Schurzen?

If you have enough earth maneuvers it would. But only from physical damage, and there is literally nothing in the game at the moment that does that much physical damage. So, not really. Since your Automaton HP is so high, it's essentially worthless. It's easier to cap PDT with armor plates
 Phoenix.Faloun
Server: Phoenix
user: Chroph
By Phoenix.Faloun 2015-10-29 15:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
What was your total automaton and gear loadout? Head and frame, and every attachment you were using. Also, post a gear set, or just list it. I can tell you pretty much what happened and why.

#1 not 1200

#2 pet attchements looked like

atunner
strobe 1 and 2
Attk III
Armor plate IV and III
Mana jammer IV
Auto repair kit IV
Target marker
Acc IV
optical fiber and EVa IV

armor went Midnights
Awing salade
Teaom hands ()dont have T aug unfortunly)
HQ DT earring
Domestcators Earring
Naga pants
Punchilllos
Tioji belt
Relic cape
Relic body +1
Magneto (darn divinators never want to drop)
h2h neck (dont have any pet necks as of yet)

what's tioji belt ?
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-10-29 16:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Think she means Tojil belt. Hurch'lan Sash
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-29 16:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »

I assume anyone with a female avatar is male.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-10-29 16:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lol "she" is on my server, so giving the benefit of the doubt since "her" name is Krysten. But, you're probably right.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-10-29 18:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Steam Jacket is useless because it resets DT every time it takes damage from another source. I.E. You get hit by slashing damage for 500. You take another hit for 500. The third hit will only deal 375. Sounds great! Unless he gets hit by anything else between that time. Then he takes just as much damage. It would be very useful to mitigate magical damage, but chances are damn good that it is going to get hit by an auto attack and reset itself before it takes another 2 hits from magic.

This is accurate, and like Tru said it does make Steam Jacket fairly weak for tanking (with the exception of mobs that do only one type of damage).

HOWEVER... it's worth remembering that if you're NOT tanking, it can be really really good. For instance, Sharpshot DD setup where you don't intend the puppet to be holding hate but it might get hit with repeated use of an AoE of the same type.

Situational, but worth keeping in mind.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-29 19:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »

I assume anyone with a female avatar is male.

1.) Are you on the Internet? The person you're talking to is male.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-30 07:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So, what exactly do Mana Booster and Tactical Processor do? I think I sae you meantion the recast on cure goes down with mana booster from 12 to 9 seconds?

Are they worth setting much?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-30 08:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Automaton's have a global cooldown before they can cast a spell of ANY type, along with a cooldown for each specific type of magic. Mana Booster reduces the global cooldown, I THINK. I haven't tested it in already low delay situations(healer, triple ice), so I'm not 100% on how it works with the global cooldown. It does for sure reduce the timers on Elemental magic a good deal when you have triple ice up. But to be honest, that's more of a pain in the *** than a boon unless you have REALLY fast skillchains. Or for some reason you are trying to nuke without them(Don't do this. You'll just make yourself sad.)

Tactical Processor reduces how often your Automaton reads it's current situation. Have you ever noticed that sometimes your Automaton will cast Addle or some other BS it can't land RIGHT after something big goes off and you need the POS to cure you? Or sometimes he takes forever to WS even though he could AND should? It's because the POS only reads his situation about once every three seconds. Count to three. It's long as hell, isn't it? That's why he's casting Addle while you are in red hp. Tactical processor reduces that by about 0.70-0.80% of a second per ice maneuver you have up. With three ice maneuvers, the delay is reduced down to 1.15 seconds.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-01 20:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've mentioned this before, but I figured I'd take a screenshot rather than just take a long *** boring video.

Basically, with a super tanking setup, you can hold 25 mobs at a time. This picture shows Tsukushi with 25 Skirmish mobs attacking him. A tome showed up and I was able to get a screenshot right before he did a WS and killed everything.

The method is essentially to set up for super tanking, triple light, drop Automaton on Stronghold. Let your team farm up points and raze the Stronghold. Easy clears. Pretty hard to lose, no matter what happens.
[+]
 Asura.Ghanni
Server: Asura
user: Ghanni
By Asura.Ghanni 2015-11-02 08:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

What were the setups for your Apex CP burn parties? Was the rest of the party apprehensive about having a puppet tank? Was it able to hold hate fine?

Do you wear full pet DT gear, master tp gear or a mix of both? I've yet to see a Pup in an Apex party set up so I've been at a loss to where I'd fit in.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-11-02 12:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Plenty of people use Trusts to tank their manaburns, so if they have issues with a puppet tanking then lol@them.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-02 18:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ghanni said: »
What were the setups for your Apex CP burn parties? Was the rest of the party apprehensive about having a puppet tank? Was it able to hold hate fine?

Do you wear full pet DT gear, master tp gear or a mix of both? I've yet to see a Pup in an Apex party set up so I've been at a loss to where I'd fit in.

The parties I do aren't really for CP. Mostly just testing ***since Apex mobs make pretty good targets.

However.

Since Automatons get so much accuracy, they make pretty good skillchainers for mage parties without any more support. The drawback is that you have to have two PUPs, and they need good gear. Apex mobs don't hit hard at all, you can get away with just regular *** DD setups. If you can round up enough PUPs with good gear for the roles, 4x PUP and a combo of Cor/Geo/Rdm can do okay with Apex mobs. You can get rid of two of those PUPs for Sch/Blm assuming they have their gear together. I dunno, it's like any other party.

In regards to people being apprehensive about me tanking things on PUP: They'd be more shocked if I found something I COULDN'T handle on PUP. So far it's just AV2 due to mechanics.
 Asura.Ghanni
user: Ghanni
By Asura.Ghanni 2015-11-03 09:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ghanni said: »

The parties I do aren't really for CP. Mostly just testing ***since Apex mobs make pretty good targets.

However.

Since Automatons get so much accuracy, they make pretty good skillchainers for mage parties without any more support. The drawback is that you have to have two PUPs, and they need good gear. Apex mobs don't hit hard at all, you can get away with just regular *** DD setups. If you can round up enough PUPs with good gear for the roles, 4x PUP and a combo of Cor/Geo/Rdm can do okay with Apex mobs. You can get rid of two of those PUPs for Sch/Blm assuming they have their gear together. I dunno, it's like any other party.

In regards to people being apprehensive about me tanking things on PUP: They'd be more shocked if I found something I COULDN'T handle on PUP. So far it's just AV2 due to mechanics.

Ah the question was for Enochroot since he mentioned Apex parties but I guess the reply button didn't work. Going to try and mess around on them more to see how well my puppet holds hate and tanks Apex with the attachments he mentioned.

On another note this happened this morning before work. I don't think I've ever freaked out as much from an item drop 1/48.

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-09 06:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

If you end up tanking Suzaku, put the Puppetmaster in their own party. They don't need buffs of any sort, so the rest of the party can avoid meteor and just focus on DDing.

At this point, the only thing that is actually scary to tank is Seiryu. Dispelling Wind makes Soulsoother/Harlequin basically not worth it. Gettings hit in the face over and over by breath attacks during Hundred Fists with no Shell is....stressful. I wouldn't even attempt to tank Seiryu without 1200JP.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krysten
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-11-09 13:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

would attempt any gods without 1200

as i did and got Smoked lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-09 13:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

would attempt any gods without 1200

as i did and got Smoked lol.

They aren't difficult so long as you gear/setup properly for them. 1200 makes everything so easy I can just afk after I set up. With less than that, you can still handle it so long as you know what you are doing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Beaztmaster
By Quetzalcoatl.Beaztmaster 2015-11-09 13:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That thumbnail perfectly sums up Bzerozerotypirates. I approve.
[+]
 Asura.Womwom
user: Eilan
By Asura.Womwom 2015-11-09 15:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

May I ask what that belt is in the video?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-11-09 15:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you going to use Flashbulb more with the hate changes? Or are Auto-Regen things just too useful?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-09 15:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Womwom said: »
May I ask what that belt is in the video?

Isa Belt, hands down the best belt for any kind of pet tanking.

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Are you going to use Flashbulb more with the hate changes? Or are Auto-Regen things just too useful?

Depends on the mob, I imagine. I never really had a problem with dying to most mobs before, so I imagine on things weak enough I'll use Flashbulb. For sure on anything under Ilvl 135, and probably a few of the 135+ mobs also.

I can say that I will probably just retire /blu tanking. /pld works just fine for hate resets, and that's pretty much what /blu is most useful for. I don't feel it's even worthwhile to tank things weaker than Plouton at this point, so the enmity from /blu isn't needed. SPECIFICALLY FOR ME THOUGH. It might still be useful for another pup, and it's a good exercise in how enmity works, so I'm going to keep that section in the full guide.
 Asura.Womwom
user: Eilan
By Asura.Womwom 2015-11-09 16:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks. Already have Isa in my taking setup, but the video on my phone made the belt look different. I'm just about to start testing /BLU for setting up enmity. My ls has a tendency to go all out right away so I have hate issues sometimes. Just curious how your merits are set up. If you 5/5 Ventril then where are your other merits established?
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-11-09 17:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Can the make a new JP category similar to some vorseals, like "Occ. bypass damage, Occ absorbes damage" or would that not be worth it?
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2015-11-09 19:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

can you post your augments on your gear and the attachments you use for that fight
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-09 20:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Womwom said: »
Thanks. Already have Isa in my taking setup, but the video on my phone made the belt look different. I'm just about to start testing /BLU for setting up enmity. My ls has a tendency to go all out right away so I have hate issues sometimes. Just curious how your merits are set up. If you 5/5 Ventril then where are your other merits established?

I actually change my merits based on what I am doing. It's a lot of work to do so, and I don't suggest it unless you want to SERIOUSLY min/max your character.

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
Can the make a new JP category similar to some vorseals, like "Occ. bypass damage, Occ absorbes damage" or would that not be worth it?

While it would be useful, it would be overpowered as hell. As it stands now, you don't need it. And also categories won't be expanded, SE has claimed. What we have is what we get. Sadly.

Cerberus.Demonsgate said: »
can you post your augments on your gear and the attachments you use for that fight

Only three pieces have augments in that video. Oberon's Sainti = DT-5, Taeon Tabard = Pet DT-4(other two augments are some other bs), Anwig Salade= DT-10, Haste+5. Rao is all Pet: HP+100, acc+15, dt-3.

Attachments are: Armor plate IV, Armor Plate III, Auto Repair Kit IV, Auto Repair Kit III, Optic Fiber, Galvanizer, Mana Jammer IV, Mana Jammer III, Strobe, Strobe II, Heatsink and Mana Tank IV.
 Shiva.Dawezy
Server: Shiva
user: Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2015-11-09 23:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So.. new enmity numbers on Strobe I / II.

I - 10 25 40 60
II - 20 40 65 100

Might be a bit harder to pull hate off Autos now apparently lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-09 23:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dawezy said: »
So.. new enmity numbers on Strobe I / II.

I - 10 25 40 60
II - 20 40 65 100

Might be a bit harder to pull hate off Autos now apparently lol

It's a pretty stout boost to enmity. Double fire light(what I usually use for tanking) is now going to be giving 126 enmity, 136-141 with gear. At all times. This is a shitload. Also...

Quote:
The issue with the attachment Flashbulb wherein activation would not generate enmity.

It's always *** been like this! Don't you act like it was a bug all this time, you POS SE. Also also...

Quote:
The issue wherein the effects of the attachment Ice Maker would also apply to skillchain damage.

:D Finally that *** is gone. It didn't increase damage, it just consumed maneuvers.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 18 19 20