So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 18 19 20
By darthmaull 2015-10-24 07:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I redid my auto tanking gear and I'm now at the PDT cap. My questions are, even once you've hit PDT cap if you add more -DT will it still raise your -MDT and for the third aug on Taeon would trying to max magic evasion help?

Also with Ohrmazd, does anyone have -DT on this or is this a myth? I used 5 stacks of Leaforb +1 on them and never saw -DT. However I did see -PDT a few times. Is this augment real? Is it on leaf orbs?
By FaeQueenCory 2015-10-24 08:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, if you're capped on either PDT, BDT, or MDT and you add more DT gear, it will just increase the other two.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-24 08:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

darthmaull said: »
Ok I redid my auto tanking gear and I'm now at the PDT cap. My questions are, even once you've hit PDT cap if you add more -DT will it still raise your -MDT and for the third aug on Taeon would trying to max magic evasion help?

Also with Ohrmazd, does anyone have -DT on this or is this a myth? I used 5 stacks of Leaforb +1 on them and never saw -DT. However I did see -PDT a few times. Is this augment real? Is it on leaf orbs?

Cory already answered the question about why stacking regular DT is so good, so I'll just get to Ohrmazd.

That augment is extremely uncommon. I have never seen anything higher than DT4% from ANYONE in my linkshell, and my linkshell has 40+ memebers who all play pet jobs. This is why I am such a fan of Oberon's Sainti.

With Oberon's Sainti, I did nine tries across two weapons and got DT5%. I got DT 3-4 almost every time otherwise, so the augment is very common. It would need at least 4% to be better than Midnights, however.
By darthmaull 2015-10-24 08:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok thank you for the info. I'll try the Oberons
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-26 01:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

how excited are you to get potentially 2000+ jps? making us even better tanks/DDers lol
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-26 02:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

i wish theyd make Strobe III so we can have power of 1 and 2 into one attachment lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-26 08:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Krysten said: »
how excited are you to get potentially 2000+ jps? making us even better tanks/DDers lol

Depends on the gifts. Our job point categories are absolute ***. The only one that is ACTUALLY good is Overdrive, and Automaton HP/MP is nice. Repair is situationally useful. Cooldowns's recast is so high it's pretty much worthless, only useful if you have to resummon an Automaton midfight, but then you have Activate so you don't really even need it. If your puppet is dying faster than Dues Ex is back up, then you aren't doing anything anyway. Heady Artiface is mostly worthless. I use Mighty Strikes when Overdriving, but my acc is already capped so the JP does nothing. I never use the Valor Edge heady for tanking anymore, so Invincible is worthless, and it's the only other good one. Martial Arts is bad unless you have absolutely no way to get haste, and even then it *** with your x-hit. Deactivate saves you maybe a few seconds waiting on your Auto's HP to refill.

The job points seem mostly geared towards the idea that we were going to be CONSTANTLY swapping pets. But without AutoControl, it's such a cumbersome task that it's rarely worthwhile. And even then, how often are you ACTUALLY changing frames in a fight?

/rant

I hope the gifts are good. If not I might not really even bother getting to 2100 in the first week.

i wish theyd make Strobe III so we can have power of 1 and 2 into one attachment lol

They've essentially said we aren't getting ***, but they are giving us higher potency on strobes, and flashbulb will now generate the same enmity as the spell flash. That will help for tanking ***under level 130, I think.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-26 15:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

this is true but the Gifts themself are nice and well def get more Auto stats up so there that silver lining

i disagree with MA being bad esp when you have a high delay Weaps
Also we might get an additional catagory

i dont want spend 2 slots on Voke is my point so i hope they do increase it

Wouldn't mind Galv II as well as it stand the one alone doesnt do it enough or maybe just some aug stuff with counter on

speaking of that wouldnt be surpized if we get JSE Armor this update seeing as we got Weapons last one
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-26 21:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

actully i think thad be great Gift "increases potency of Attachments"
 Shiva.Rickis
Server: Shiva
user: Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-27 00:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it is not that realistic but I would like to have more frames to use when certain JP is reached.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-27 04:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

2100 jsut annunced is the new max

andthey announced that well get a Job master title lol...

im over here thinking...... that had better not be the only 2100 gift lol. ill be so upset if a title is all we get XD
By Mookies 2015-10-27 05:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The way it's worded it sounds like there is more than one gift each job. Unless they only added 1 gift and the job title is just a bonus gimme gift at the same tier.

I'm wondering what the attachment adjustments are going to be.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-27 05:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

well tru mentioned Stronger voke but im guessing theyl be something else too or else woudl just said voke..
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-27 09:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Flashbulb and strobe are being adjusted. That's all they have specifically mentioned.

We're going to get all the usual gifts in higher teirs, but for special ones, we're probably going to get two. One will be something like another MA+5, the 2100 will be both the title and a special gift. It's either going to suck, or be incredible. There is zero chance of middle of the road. If they aren't releasing new attachments, there is no reason to give a higher tier of elemental capacity, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to be lazy and just do it anyway.
[+]
 Shiva.Rickis
Server: Shiva
user: Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-27 10:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
Flashbulb and strobe are being adjusted. That's all they have specifically mentioned.

We're going to get all the usual gifts in higher teirs, but for special ones, we're probably going to get two. One will be something like another MA+5, the 2100 will be both the title and a special gift. It's either going to suck, or be incredible. There is zero chance of middle of the road. If they aren't releasing new attachments, there is no reason to give a higher tier of elemental capacity, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to be lazy and just do it anyway.

maybe we can use 1 more manuver? just like brd can sing 1 more song
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-27 15:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

be able call 2nd automaton lol

seriously tho i hope its epic every job deserves one last epic something.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-10-27 17:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i disagree with MA being bad esp when you have a high delay Weaps

Yeah, if you aren't using Kenkonken with its massive MA-50, the MA JP is amazingly good. For instance, using Denouements (delay +96), with capped magical haste you'd need about MA+48 from gear + JPs.

Even for KKK, if you're not capped on magical haste you'll need more MA than KKK+JP/gifts will give. It's a minor annoyance for KKK users with capped magical haste or Haste Sambas, but overall the MA can still be really useful.

That being said, otherwise I'm pretty much on board with Tru's assessment that PUP in general has pretty minimal bonuses from the JPs themselves.

darthmaull said: »

I have DT-3%, and I've seen PDT-3~5% on occasion. DT- is indeed pretty rare though.

Personally I'm quite pleased with my DT-3% (leaf), pet: STR/DEX/VIT+15 (dusk), and pet: acc/racc+20something (snow) augs. Though they could get a couple more DT-, I'd still use mine for pet tanking over any of the other choices.

Midnights D are very nearly the same though, and overload reduction isn't irrelevant for tanking when you're using a lot of same-element fire/light spam, sometimes in quick succession. Personally I have KKK so I'll use those if I'm meleeing something for whatever reason (or for AM3 on master+puppet), or macro them in for maneuvers if I don't need my TP and I'm just backline... but for non-Mythic PUP, it's certainly a benefit.
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-10-27 18:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I put a lot of leaforb into a Ohrmazd, never saw DT-. A lot of PDT-. But, did get -5% dt on the Oberon. So, good to go lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-28 04:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

New Weapons friends...... wonder what pups will be like.....
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-28 08:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppets better get some goddamn new weapon skills to be included into that AM. Otherwise... Nah, I'm stoked either way. I can sense it, these weapons are going to be very good.
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Flyingsquirrel 2015-10-28 09:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppets better get some goddamn new weapon skills to be included into that AM. Otherwise... Nah, I'm stoked either way. I can sense it, these weapons are going to be very good.

I think they specifically said no new ws for auto, but either way we should be able to solo the new skillchains with our auto. I don't think it's going to be a 2 ws skillchain that would do it, so I just hope its something that works well with inhibitor like shijin - bone - smite.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-28 09:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Flyingsquirrel said: »

I think they specifically said no new ws for auto, but either way we should be able to solo the new skillchains with our auto. I don't think it's going to be a 2 ws skillchain that would do it, so I just hope its something that works well with inhibitor like shijin - bone - smite.

I recall them saying that as well, but who knows. The master SHOULD get a new WS, and I REALLY hope one of it's properties is dark so that I can do double darks to go along with my double lights. Secondary of Distortion would be dope too >.>
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-28 14:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i hope Autos get new WS too regardless of what they said lol
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-10-28 15:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Particularly as we're in the PUP tanking thread...

I'm hoping PUP (or H2H if they're multi-job) Aeonic weapon has really good automaton buffs. A master only weapon would be kinda... eh. If I just want a great melee job, (a) I'm probably using something that isn't PUP, and (b) Kenkonken is already pretty damn good, and even non-mythic has great options now like Denouements.

PUP has finally found a true niche with automaton tanking (it only took until the final year of updates!). Low need for additional support, fixes incoming to the one glaring flaw (enmity generation)... enhancing this style of play further would actually be a really awesome way to improve the job with Aeonic weapon.

The real draw of a MASTER melee-focused Aeonic PUP H2H would be that Martial Arts JP/gifts/gear would suddenly matter a lot more, as without KKK you're going to need that MA to hit delay cap even with capped magical haste. One to potentially look out for... a delay+96 weapon would be almost perfectly at delay cap with 0 MA gear, capped magical haste, and 20/20 MA JP w/ MA+5 gift (550 JP). It's actually just sllliiiiiggghhhhtly over cap by like .7 delay.
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-10-28 15:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Or the weaponskill be worthwhile. Since h2h is severely lacking in that department compared to other jobs
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-10-28 15:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Or the weaponskill be worthwhile. Since h2h is severely lacking in that department compared to other jobs

Eh, IDK that I'd say H2H WS are "severely lacking". Smite and Pummel are both quite good.

Smite has gotten a lot stronger lately with its super heavy STR mod and so much good STR gear lately (many Rao pieces are awesome, Ryuo feet, etc.), and it's easy to chain with other stuff for Light. Pummel gives a Gravitation option (pair with Distortion for Darkness), and while Smite may have pulled ahead for non-mythic, KKK WS dmg boost keeps it pretty powerful. And both are crit WS.

They aren't CDC level strong right now, but not a lot is. Really, the difference between having a stronger WS or not is going to have very minimal effect on PUP. Lack of WS damage is just not PUP's issue at the moment (lack of melee friendly content in general is a MUCH bigger deal from the punching stuff perspective).

Now, buffs to the puppet... or ability to use a whole new "level 4" SC... that's sort of a different story.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-28 15:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Particularly as we're in the PUP tanking thread...

I'm hoping PUP (or H2H if they're multi-job) Aeonic weapon has really good automaton buffs. A master only weapon would be kinda... eh. If I just want a great melee job, (a) I'm probably using something that isn't PUP, and (b) Kenkonken is already pretty damn good, and even non-mythic has great options now like Denouements.

PUP has finally found a true niche with automaton tanking (it only took until the final year of updates!). Low need for additional support, fixes incoming to the one glaring flaw (enmity generation)... enhancing this style of play further would actually be a really awesome way to improve the job with Aeonic weapon.

The real draw of a MASTER melee-focused Aeonic PUP H2H would be that Martial Arts JP/gifts/gear would suddenly matter a lot more, as without KKK you're going to need that MA to hit delay cap even with capped magical haste. One to potentially look out for... a delay+96 weapon would be almost perfectly at delay cap with 0 MA gear, capped magical haste, and 20/20 MA JP w/ MA+5 gift (550 JP). It's actually just sllliiiiiggghhhhtly over cap by like .7 delay.

Ideally the weapon has a good mixture of stats/abilities for both the master and the Puppet. Otherwise they end up just another situational weapon I have to carry around. I'm up to 8 different H2H for PUP at the moment, I'd like to condense those.

Leviathan.Stamos said: »

Eh, I dunno. Stringing Pummel/Victory Smite aren't bad at all. They aren't as insane as CDC, but they're good for what they are. PUPs main thing they have going for them is the ability to self chain very often and very consistently without even needing much support. Shinjin Spiral isn't totally horrible either, presuming you're using it to triple step light. On it's own it's terrible. Plague? Seriously?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-10-28 16:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideally the weapon has a good mixture of stats/abilities for both the master and the Puppet. Otherwise they end up just another situational weapon I have to carry around. I'm up to 8 different H2H for PUP at the moment, I'd like to condense those.

Well, yeah. Master AND puppet is best. But I'd be pretty OK with KKK still ending up the better master DD weapon and Aeonic being the choice for all things pet.

Gonna need to be pretty incredible to beat KKK AM3 from a master & DD puppet perspective, but I guess it's possible! Relegating KKK to a low buff weapon for situations where you can benefit from the MA+50 (and not really freeing up an inventory slot, as I have a hard time EVER seeing KKK not at least retain best-in-slot status for that purpose).

From a PET perspective, you could really cut down on juggling all those H2H though if Aeonic has pet: all skills, DT-, and idk... some unique thing (enhance manuever, whatever). Seems that most of the menagerie of additional weapons are various different puppet pieces, I want this one to be one H2H to rule all things automaton.
[+]
By darthmaull 2015-10-28 16:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I've been looking over attachments because I'm not at 1200 jp yet and I'm wondering if the attachments Steam Jacket and Equalizer can be helpful. Do either one of these attachments reduce damage as though it were -DT? right now with SS/Harl I can put Mana Jammer 4 and 1 and Steam Jacket. Armor Plate 4 and Equalizer.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 18 19 20