users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » _____ is greater than Morrigan's
_____ is greater than Morrigan's
 Shiva.Akajoyroth
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Akajoyroth 2009-08-13 19:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So should I try for a Igqira Weskit Augment +3~5 INT or spend the monies for a HQ version?
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-13 20:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Augment it, you'll never need to spend as much as a Genie would cost you in order to get a superior augment.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-08-13 20:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you could augment a Genie, lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-13 20:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghlin said:
ACP Body Royale Redingote with MAB+5 and Macc+5 is (based on the rough figure that 4 INT = 1 MAB and 2 Macc) slightly ahead of Igqira Weskit and on par with Genie.

Converting the int and skill into MAB and Macc:
6 MAB 5 Macc from Igqira
6.25 MAB 7.5 Macc from Redingote
7 MAB 6 Macc from Genie

While this is a rough figure, and it's not *that* much better, it's food for thought.

However your first assumption is wrong the augment would only be 4 not 5 macc/mab. Also 1 int can be as high as 1macc. And 1MAB tends to be around 2-3 int. THen only way youd get 4int~1MAB is if you were like a taru in super int build. For me as a taru 2MAB tends to be about as much as 4-5int.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-08-13 21:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

My mistake. Thought they were both 5 for some reason.

Reworking it as 5 INT is 2 MAB, it works out the same. Reworking it to 1 INT = 1 macc, it catapults ahead. We could even talk about how 1 skill = .9 acc, but I didn't include that. And there again, this was just a rough figure. I've been using it as a rule of thumb to compare gear for a long time. My original idea still applies, in that it's slightly better than Igqira and about tied for Genie.

Edit: typo.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-13 21:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the testing for skill vs macc was inclusive other than they are close. 1 int however is =1skill if your dint is lower than 10 but above that 2int=skill. So what it comes down to is job race and your gear. As far as blm goes the better your gear gets the less int and the more MAB it has on alot of slots lol which tends to make ACP better... however as a decently gear taru Ive already easily hit the 10dint so macc is about the same and MAB about the same as NQ... other races however sure it should be about in between... and for lolelvaan int wearing hardly any int gear... yeah it might even be bettter than HQ
 Carbuncle.Deadlymidget
Server: Carbuncle
user:
By Carbuncle.Deadlymidget 2009-08-13 21:49:08
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Everything is less than the time put into Morrigan's :)
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-08-13 23:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You can save 12 mil if BLM is your only job and just augment a NQ wesket. You don't get refresh but you can swap out Black cloak or af2 body when not nuking.

However, if you have rdm and blu, get Morrigan's.

You can get most of it pretty easy. 5 friends to warp you into AR. i.e. They warp as you enter so you go in solo. Then you solo the 2 QQ for it. When you get the 35, get help with the boss.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-14 07:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

>easy
>5 friends to warp you into AR

That's everything but easy. If I have 5 friends willing to do that daily, I'd rather have them form a Salvage group with me.

And lol @ get help with the boss, that's prolly the most annoying one, since weather can *** up the gear pull, and boss battle can turn into a shitstorm then. while most of others boss can be taken down easily with no pre-requisite.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-08-14 07:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

OK just to clear a few things up.

5/5 morrigan's (no matter what else you are wearing in other slots) is the best max damage set in the game when you don't have weather/day bonuses.

5/5 morrigan's is beaten (in pure damage) when you have weather/day bonuses by a mix-and-match set (Any good nuking head, morrigan's robe, zenith mitts, relic legs, yigit feet)

5/5 morrigan's can be MATCHED without weather/day bonuses by a mix-and-match set (New exansions hat with 4INT and 2MAB, Morrigan's robe, zenith mitts +1, morrigan's slops, yigit feet)

So a few things to note...
* Morrigan's Robe is in all 3 sets above, it is the best nuking body ever
* Morrigan's Slops are in all sets apart from the when day/weather bonuses are in effect.

So if you do salvage, the body and the legs should be the main items you go for. Which are also arguably the hardest to get.

As for the debait over how useful morrigan's is

Personally I don't do HNMs and don't do much sky any more, I have capped elemental merit and soon to be capped INT merits, so my resist rate is very low. Probably 95+% of the time I wear my full damage set (Solo, Dynamis, Einherjar non-boss-mobs, where ever I end up on BLM).

I do carry a 'mid-resist' build which is made out of the items I carry for other purposes like goliard clogs (resting/enfeebling) and Balrahn's ring (dark magic/enfeebling); which I some time use when I am fighting something a bit tougher.

Even for highly resistant targets you would probabily still wear the body and legs (with Relic hat, AF hands and Goliard feet).
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-14 08:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:

5/5 morrigan's (no matter what else you are wearing in other slots) is the best max damage set in the game when you don't have weather/day bonuses.

K try again. With augmented gear, this is over.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-14 08:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Argettio said:

K try again. With augmented gear, this is over.

Mix and match +25 int +15MAB +2Macc
Full morrigan +25int +15MAB +10 Macc

So without a bit of luck on genie weskit or mahat legs...
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-14 08:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't listen to Dasva and you're pretty much set, while the above is true, augment throws it out the water.
 Midgardsormr.Darkfire
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Darkfire
By Midgardsormr.Darkfire 2009-08-14 08:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay this is interesting to me since currently i am 14/15 morrigans and missing the 25 head. I have been turning it over in my head whether completing the head will be very beneficial to me, or if i should use my resources elsewhere (for the sake of the discussion i wont say what so nobody's opinion is swayed).

I do not have blm, i use the set on rdm, and my current nuking setup (visible gear, since morr is in question) is AF+1 hat, for the INT and elem skill, morr body morr hands morr legs and AF2 feet, which have MAB+4.

Now i have not finished completing my elem magic merits, so i know that factors in, but hear me out. The set bonus gives +5 mab, correct? Well if i were to change my nuking setup to 5/5 morrigan when its complete, the following changes:

Head: I lose +5 INT and Elem skill+10, and gain INT+4 and ma acc+5, from coronal.

Feet: Lose MAB+4, and gain INT+3

Obviously im excluding stats irrelevant to my point, please correct me if i have overlooked something though. My problem is as a rdm w/ morr body and legs, INT is quite abundant, whereas elem skill and MAB are not. My resist rate isnt quite where i'd like it, and although a few more merits will help, is all im trading really going to improve my nuking overall?

From a general point of view, it doesnt seem like it to me, although i plan on completing regardless and trying it out firsthand before i make any decisions. I guess my question is, What should i expect?
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-08-14 08:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

damnit i am never leveling blm now.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-14 08:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Don't listen to Dasva and you're pretty much set, while the above is true, augment throws it out the water.

Can... but really http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=14562 Still beats http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=14420 unless you get +6int or more on it... and how many of those have you seen?
Your not gonna get better off anything that isnt ra and/or ex on the hands... feet well there is nothing for blm that even has decent starting stats Youd be hard pressed even super augments to beat selenian cap. As far as legs if you augment http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=14301 and get at least 2MAB... which is the highest Ive seen on that slot youll barely beat morrigan legs.

So unless you get some really ***hot augments and somehow manage to pull Zenith mitts+1... youll be about the same except no refresh less mp and less macc
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-14 08:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkfire said:
Okay this is interesting to me since currently i am 14/15 morrigans and missing the 25 head. I have been turning it over in my head whether completing the head will be very beneficial to me, or if i should use my resources elsewhere (for the sake of the discussion i wont say what so nobody's opinion is swayed).

I do not have blm, i use the set on rdm, and my current nuking setup (visible gear, since morr is in question) is AF+1 hat, for the INT and elem skill, morr body morr hands morr legs and AF2 feet, which have MAB+4.

Now i have not finished completing my elem magic merits, so i know that factors in, but hear me out. The set bonus gives +5 mab, correct? Well if i were to change my nuking setup to 5/5 morrigan when its complete, the following changes:

Head: I lose +5 INT and Elem skill+10, and gain INT+4 and ma acc+5, from coronal.

Feet: Lose MAB+4, and gain INT+3

Obviously im excluding stats irrelevant to my point, please correct me if i have overlooked something though. My problem is as a rdm w/ morr body and legs, INT is quite abundant, whereas elem skill and MAB are not. My resist rate isnt quite where i'd like it, and although a few more merits will help, is all im trading really going to improve my nuking overall?

From a general point of view, it doesnt seem like it to me, although i plan on completing regardless and trying it out firsthand before i make any decisions. I guess my question is, What should i expect?

Well ok lets look at what you switched out in terms of total stats full morrigan compare to mix and match will have +2int +1 MAB and assuming 1macc=1skill about -5skill. But compensate for the fact that that 2int is about 1 more macc and your looking at more like 4less skill. So in the end your macc is very close while you get a smallish jump in dmg...and some mp. Also depends on subs. With all my int/macc gear in my nuking set since rdm doesnt have as much MAB slots as /sch I can nuke alot of the medium resistant HNM as good as alot of blms... and definitely better then ones that dont put much effort into gear/merits
 Midgardsormr.Darkfire
By Midgardsormr.Darkfire 2009-08-14 08:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So theoritically i should get a little more dmg output but at the cost of slightly higher resist rate? Thats kind of what i figured, guess it'll depend on what im nuking in the end, but that's kind of the bottom line no matter what your gear is, isn't it? :P
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-14 08:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Now consider the cost and time it takes to augment errant slops or weskit. For the price of morrigan's robe, not including the time, you have ~500 attempts to get your +5-6 INT augment. Errant Slops is a similar situation. We've already seen when Selenian cap came out that full morrigan's can be equaled (but not bettered) without ever setting food in salvage. Yes this was including zenith +1 gloves, mahatma slops and Genie Weskit but ***, you can still augment 10 Genie Weskits for about the same price as a morrigan's robe (and again, no where near as much time spent).

And your argument about refresh is kinda dumb, nuking gear != standing gear.
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-14 08:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkfire said:
So theoritically i should get a little more dmg output but at the cost of slightly higher resist rate?

Barely.

User submitted image

(Posted this on a VB board so i could have colors, easier to read).

Delta :

-4INT
+2MaB
-8MaCC / +5 Ele skill ~= -2 skill

Worthless difference when you're going for full damage. And notice that I used a NQ weskit. Talking about Genie INT+6 would be pure ***, each genie is 3M, chance to get +6INT are way below 1/10, enjoy your 30M+++ augmented genie... While others piece can be augmented for a reasonable price.

Advantage of that set ? 0 salvage armor. All it require is money (z.mitts+1 are expensive, as augmenting hq errant legs can become a bit expensive too), still it'll cost you as much as a full salvage set.

Also that set can be upgraded, if SE release a better piece of armor, let's say for feets, legs or hands (in the next add on for example), you'll be able to replace the outdated piece with a better one, while full Morrigan's cannot be changed or you'd automatically lose the +5MaB, and it would be too hard to compensate that with a new piece of armor (talking in non weather/day situation).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-14 08:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkfire said:
So theoritically i should get a little more dmg output but at the cost of slightly higher resist rate? Thats kind of what i figured, guess it'll depend on what im nuking in the end, but that's kind of the bottom line no matter what your gear is, isn't it? :P

Lol true... this is what I use http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=102394 Which on ice spells counting 1 macc=1skill on rdm/sch I would have a total of 302skill and 133int... now theres definitely some room for imporvement on my set but really thats pretty decent even on HNMs... though a bit less on non ice spells. But if I ever got an auerole or a 2int earring... something better then errant body lol um something better then mahat legs my selenians hat... sea torque or maybe elemental... yeah can easily get equivalent to the 320/120 build and still have some decent MAB
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-08-14 08:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkfire said:

It is a little different for RDM, as we are more limited in what what we can wear.

And yes it's all about what you are nuking, but I have heard that full morrigan's (with capped merits) is fine against most sky trigger NMs and a lot of the other things a RDM would nuke.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-14 08:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Full Morrigan's is more than fine for anything in sky lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-14 08:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Now consider the cost and time it takes to augment errant slops or weskit. For the price of morrigan's robe, not including the time, you have ~500 attempts to get your +5-6 INT augment. Errant Slops is a similar situation. We've already seen when Selenian cap came out that full morrigan's can be equaled (but not bettered) without ever setting food in salvage. Yes this was including zenith +1 gloves, mahatma slops and Genie Weskit but ***, you can still augment 10 Genie Weskits for about the same price as a morrigan's robe (and again, no where near as much time spent).

And your argument about refresh is kinda dumb, nuking gear != standing gear.

Not having to switch will get your more mp and not having to switch is awesome. Gl finding zenith+1 mitts havent sold since like 2004. And you never know it might take more time... I mean you gotta get the points cause not everyone generally does FOV... get people together try alot... and come on out of all the SS ive only seen 1 weskit with +6 and like only a couple with 5. Ive seen much much more with -int. So your time money spent idea is kinda trash. It could be or it could be much much more. Oh and I think Ive only seen 1 mahat legs with any MAB.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-14 08:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah btw, read the name of the thread again, it's not "what's better than morrigan's that's really easy to get?"
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-08-14 08:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Full Morrigan's is more than fine for anything in sky lol.

Not true, even on a BLM you are likely to get resisted on the even the demi gods with full morrigans.

And I was talking about RDM.
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2009-08-14 09:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Yeah btw, read the name of the thread again, it's not "what's better than morrigan's that's really easy to get?"

OK but if i was going to go trough the pain of spending 20 mil for 5 weskits and z mitts +1 id just go for morrigan. Ive seen 1 pair of z. mitts +1 on ramuh for between 10-20m lol that piece is not worth that money at all.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-14 09:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

Theres a difference between easy and rediculous... and really all I stated was what the comparative stats were. Which are slightly in favor of morrigan without lots of effort and luck and money on getting good augments and zenith mitts+1. Which I beleive I stated in that comparison though not in so many words. Not to mention even if you do pull it off you still lose macc...
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-14 09:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Not having to switch => Spellcast :d As for Z.mitts, havent sold since 2004 lolwut ? You expect them to be put on AH lol ? That kind of armor is sold in rolanmart and I'm sure that some sold since 2004...

For FOV if you're BLM you can pretty much solo your tabs easily, as for the NM fight, you'd need at worse 1 buddy to do it (I'm usually shouting and get a random person, works fine). As for -INT that's as rare as +INT.

Who cares about -INT anyway, when you're going for a +5~6INT weskit, you just sell them back to NPC every time your attempt fail, -9001 INT or +2 Ice resistance is the same ***, you just sell it back in the end. What sux is getting -INT on a genie.
 Midgardsormr.Darkfire
By Midgardsormr.Darkfire 2009-08-14 09:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Well imo i have bad enough luck with every other aspect in game, augmenting gear for an end game gear set is way more than i want to gamble. Not to say im a fan of salvage in any way, i personally despise it, but see it as a necessary evil in a way. Idk to me id much rather work toward a known and guaranteed goal then a chance at something i may never get bc of the odds.