You Spoony Guide! - A Troubadour's Libretto
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 61 62 63
 Bismarck.Stani
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Stani 2013-03-22 10:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Calipso said: »
Is the 3~7% haste an acceptable loss to stick up a Minuet instead, or is it better to ride out 2 normal marches and be capped magic haste, and Marcato a Minuet?

Due to the compounding nature of delay reduction, the latter may indeed be preferable when Marches +5 and Haste spell cap magic haste. Marches +4 fall about 10/1024 short of capping magic haste, and trading haste for other melee stats is slippery can of worms... but probably worth it if melee can use the attack.

Marches +3, and there's an entire 4% or so of Magic Haste to be gained from using Marcato on a March. This is a bigger deal than it may seem, on THF for example, adding the last 4% to cap delay reduction is actually a 9% boost to attack speed.

Creecreelo said: »
Edit: Please don't quote in a way that twists my words. :/

lol...
By Creecreelo 2013-04-01 15:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So I was bored and decided to play around with ranges on String Horde Lullabies with String Skill builds.

-String Horde Lullaby has a max AoE range of 7.9.

-String Horde Lullaby II's range we can still buff at 99 through String skill gear.

At 99 base skill of 373, we have a range of 3.9 on String Horde II.

Then I'm 99% positive that I've pinpointed that 405 String skill is required to bump this range up to 4.9.

Now I tried to go higher than this, but wasn't able to reach another tier even at 430 String Skill. However, I am much further than the possible max cap to String Skill, which I believe to be 461, including merits (which I don't have anymore since I stuck in Enhancing a while back >.< Unsure if I should change back now even after Embrava nerf...).

ItemSet 294899

So if anyone does have this stuff/merits and wants to try to reach the next tier which should hit 5.9~ then be my guest!! :D

In the end, it probably wouldn't be worth the inventory space but would be nice to know for reference.
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2013-04-01 16:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I put all my merits back into string when I finished doing NNI on my main. What methodology did you use in your test to obtain the range?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-04-01 16:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Philemon said: »
I put all my merits back into string when I finished doing NNI on my main. What methodology did you use in your test to obtain the range?
Abyssea would be easy as you can take one single mob and a chest. Cast on the chest and slowly drag the mob farther away and see when it no longer hits it. Then stand on the mob and target the chest for a distance reading.
By Creecreelo 2013-04-01 16:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I tested it on bees in Rolanberry lol

I had 2 Bees rather close together (perhaps a little less than 1 yalm or so) and then had a third bee that I would place in line with the other two. I would then stand on top of the third bee and cast Horde on it to figure out the ranges.

Bee - Bee ---------- Bee

It seemed to work out surprisingly well and was not very difficult to set up. The 2 Bees together were nice because I could then easily tell what AoE range the Horde Lullaby was at and to see if I was breaking a tier (which would mean the Horde hitting all three Bees, instead of just two).

It may be easier if it was tested on worms, but I didn't want to have to deal with stumbling on them to be in the right positions from the onset.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-17 01:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that a serious question?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Lokimaru
Server: Asura
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2013-04-17 01:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot sarcasm quotes, nub!
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-17 01:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Is that a serious question?
No, I'm here wasting my time trolling.

That's good then! I'll sleep better knowing no one would ask that question seriously
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-17 01:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You do realize the question you're asking is akin to asking "Which will affect my Accuracy more -- STR or INT?

Aside from the ridiculous idea of meriting CHR in the first place, INT and MND have absolutely no bearing on songs whatsoever.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-17 01:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

When they told you there were no stupid questions they were lying - but at least you know better now - but to tell you the truth it's such a bad question that I actually thought you were trolling!
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-04-17 01:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You should be meriting DEX to improve your handiness with the instruments.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-17 01:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
someone like you thinking everyone else has that knowledge.

I do not think that in 2013 expecting FFXI players to have a basic knowledge of what the seven basic attributes do is unreasonable
[+]
By Creecreelo 2013-04-17 01:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fugging.
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2013-04-17 02:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe in another thread. But in the sticky guide thread I think its a reasonable expectation to A) Be able to ask questions not addressed in the OP no matter how basic and B) Not crap up the thread with sarcastic +1's that add nothing at all. There are 9999999 other threads to do that in.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-17 02:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm also the only one that bothered to answer the stupid question so get over it
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-17 02:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

/sigh
 Ragnarok.Flippant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-04-17 02:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevermind the idea of someone being a high enough level to merit without knowing what each attribute does for their job--it's also a reasonable expectation that a question like that can be quickly answered by looking up "MND" and "INT" on any of the wiki websites. These threads are generally for questions that aren't easily answered by other resources.

If someone doesn't want to spend the ten seconds it takes to answer their own question, they should expect others to make some sort of amusement out of the situation in exchange for asking us to waste our time.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-04-17 03:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Make sure you aren't blinded when singing on BRD either. It may screw up your song when you meant to equip your best melee ring with this:

And instead you did this and put everyone around you to sleep:

Bahamut.Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-17 03:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Edited: On a serious note though, for debuffs the priority is Skill = MAcc > CHR (against very high level targets MAcc and CHR become roughly equal). BRD debuffs are not modified by INT or MND. I didn't realize I hadn't stated that explicitly in the guide, I will make a point to add it in the next update.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2013-04-17 18:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
On a serious note though, for debuffs the priority is Skill > MAcc > CHR (against very high level targets MAcc and CHR become roughly equal). BRD debuffs are not modified by INT or MND. I didn't realize I hadn't stated that explicitly in the guide, I will make a point to add it in the next update.
I would like confirmation on this. It was my understanding that at best one skill equaled one magic accuracy. Is there testing that shows one skill gives more than one macc?

Edit. Took out speculation
 Bahamut.Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-17 19:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Alkalurops for all debuffs.

Edit: Regarding Skill/MAcc/CHR I may have had it worded strangely in that post. Original wording from the guide:

The precise mechanics of magic accuracy for songs are currently unknown, but what we do know is that skill and macc are rough equivalents, and that the dSTAT ratio for CHR favors Bard frequently enough that CHR should be treated as .5 MAcc for all but the highest-level monsters.

I would have to look up where I got the info (mental note: A Bard's Bibliography, new section) but Skill = MAcc, CHR = .5 MAcc unless against very high-level targets.
 Bismarck.Stani
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Stani 2013-04-19 13:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

On a serious note though, for debuffs the priority is Skill > MAcc > CHR (against very high level targets MAcc and CHR become roughly equal). BRD debuffs are not modified by INT or MND. I didn't realize I hadn't stated that explicitly in the guide, I will make a point to add it in the next update.

Original response was inspired by a misread, but while I'm posting, may want to fix this post for posterity.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-04-19 13:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we sure that 1skill=1macc for brd? Could it be some sort combined singing+wind/string formula? Otherwise you would have a lot higher macc than other jobs. HQ staves/chatoyant>alka, magian being optimal obviously.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-19 21:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
Are we sure that 1skill=1macc for brd? Could it be some sort combined singing+wind/string formula? Otherwise you would have a lot higher macc than other jobs. HQ staves/chatoyant>alka, magian being optimal obviously.

I didn't do the testing personally, which has been a regret of mine for quite some time...I need to do some better sourcing on the tests and such before I can draw any conclusions beyond the (mostly unsourced) information that is readily available.

For right now, as far as I understand how dSTAT, MACC, and Singing/Instrument skill work for bard debuffs, Skill = MAcc = (CHR / 2 *or* CHR depending on the target's CHR).

If anyone can help me devise an efficient way to test this, I would love to do more testing on:

Skill/MAcc/CHR
Stringed skill effect on casting radius (by song)
any other stuff

Reply in thread or feel free to PM me here or Guildwork.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 61 62 63