How Do You Rate Your TH Level? By Base Or Proc?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » How do you rate your TH level? By Base or Proc?
How do you rate your TH level? By Base or Proc?
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-14 11:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, if you kill the numbers you picked and you yield the results you picked, the result is nearly indistinguishable.

But again, I'm saying that you can see the difference TH makes in 100 piece drops. That was my entire point. The whole comment about TPing in TH gear was in regard to someone saying that you can put your initial TH on it, and switch, largely without loss. I just wanted people to be informed that this is now one of the things about TH we no longer have to eyeball or wonder about the moon's influence on.

SE has said, TH gear increases your likelihood to upgrade.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-14 12:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
But again, I'm saying that you can see the difference TH makes in 100 piece drops.
Standard mobs dont drop 100's though :x
I presume you're referring to NM's?
By volkom 2013-01-14 12:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I find myself getting more TH procs wearing TH gear even after that initial proc and less if I switch out to my haste gear after
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-14 12:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Onllwyn said: »
yea i would say i have 8 because gear gives you 7 like purpleeyes said and more than likely it will proc at least once

sooo wrooong
you are th7 thief and everything else is a possible bonus
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-14 12:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
I find myself getting more TH procs wearing TH gear even after that initial proc and less if I switch out to my haste gear after
Yes, I did that test, the numbers are on BG. http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/113366-TH-procs

The further away your characters TH is from the active TH on the mob, the less likely you are to get a proc from standard melee swings. SA/TA numbers are untested, as it would surpass my patience lol.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-14 12:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Maxiel said: »
This is kind of a random question but a good place to post it but... A lot of people are still under the impression that if the thief dies or warps out after tagging TH. TH is lost.

This whole time I thought TH was some sort of status effect placed on the mob and doesn't wear off unless it goes idle. Who's in the wrong here?

you are right.
TH is written into the "hateliste" like weakens procs.
once mob has no enemies with more than 0 hate it goes idle and resets the list and procs/th is reset

one test we made was:
thief getting th proc on nm. then he died. he got raised and start to hit it again.
next th upgrade proc was one higher than his last.
Death is not equal th lost

also from a programming point of view since multiple thief's can upgrade the same thf level it is clearly written an a central place and not dedicated to the thief.
By volkom 2013-01-14 12:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So me meleeing with only theif knife and full TH gear and SA/TA every time its up is good or bad?
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-01-14 12:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Good if you want to raise TH; bad if you want to do damage.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-14 12:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
So me meleeing with only theif knife and full TH gear and SA/TA every time its up is good or bad?

its Situational

To define if its good or bad you need to look at what you re sacrificing

if its like building chloris popset and then kill her. The time lost on killing chlooris slower is a little sacrifice due to the big time invested in farming her, so you better get maximum drop out of her.

however in farming dynamis the reverse could be true. you only have 2 hours. so killing mobs faster with a lower drop rate might give you more coins in the same time.

its basically speed * droprate = performance.
You just need to figure out how much of one factor you sacrifice for the other

even your alternative dd gear might change it.
the better DD gear you have. the more speed you are sacrificing for going in full th mode so its less beneficial for your performance to go in full th

-- edit ---
to clarify with some numbers (picked out of my #ss)

you solo popset for chloirs and use lets say 30mins
your killing time of chloirs is 5 mins in th gear and 3 mins in DD gear you droprate increase byt 20% in full th mode

for a complete cycle of cloris you use either 33mins (full dd) or 35 min (max TH) so going full

in full dd mode you get 35/33 a 1.06 kill speed factor. so going in full kill mode nest you 6% more performance (drops/time unite).
However going to in full th mode gave you are 20% more drops
20% more drops is better than 6% faster killing so yes go full DD

now you go to dynamis and lets use the same kill speed to keep it fair.
You kill a mob in 5 mins in th mode and 3mins in full dd mode
going full th nest you 20% more drops

you can very fast see that killing faster will give you 5/3 a 1.66 kill speed factors. ths 66% better performance form killing faster
66% faster killing is better than just 20% more droprate so here go for full kill speed

if you want a universal "best of both worlds"
hit mob once with full th gear and the kill it in full DD gear.
its speculated (proven?) that the lowest tier of th is the most useful anyway. so you get the most of th and the most of killspeed this way
By volkom 2013-01-14 14:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I only go thief for salvage.
does what I currently do, good for that considering that I don't want to murder certain nms
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-14 14:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

woh and also the more ppl you go the less is the time sacrifice since other ppl will do more of the killing. so that demininshes the sacrifice on killspeed for going in full th
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Server: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2013-01-14 14:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said: »
Either they're talking about Abyssea, which has a TH+1 atma, or they're talking about Conquest areas during Treasure Hound being active & sanction.

edit: Its almost gaurantee'd (almost being key word) to TH to 8 with SA feint, but after that its rediculous sometimes.

Treasure hound doesn't give a thief +1 th unless se changed something. It originally gave th 1 to non-thieves.

Has there been a change?
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-14 16:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Valefor.Omnys said: »
But again, I'm saying that you can see the difference TH makes in 100 piece drops.
Standard mobs dont drop 100's though :x
I presume you're referring to NM's?

I am. I'm just saying that if all you bring is TH2, you'll see a difference between th2 and th8 on NMs. Cuz obviously your thf (wheover it is) should be switching to th gear for those fights.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-14 16:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chasuro said: »
Either they're talking about Abyssea, which has a TH+1 atma, or they're talking about Conquest areas during Treasure Hound being active & sanction.

edit: Its almost gaurantee'd (almost being key word) to TH to 8 with SA feint, but after that its rediculous sometimes.

Treasure hound doesn't give a thief +1 th unless se changed something. It originally gave th 1 to non-thieves.

Has there been a change?

i believe they changed it last year.
im not 100% sure though
 Sylph.Shandok
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shandok 2013-01-14 17:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This is kind of a random question but a good place to post it but... A lot of people are still under the impression that if the thief dies or warps out after tagging TH. TH is lost.

This whole time I thought TH was some sort of status effect placed on the mob and doesn't wear off unless it goes idle. Who's in the wrong here?

Odin.Eikechi said: »
no, that's actually exactly how it works. TH is a "debuff" that stays on the mob until you wipe or it goes passive.

Got some info on this from personal exp today. Dying does NOT clear the TH! I had done a TH6, Feint, SA, Got TH7 procced. Then died, Reraised up, waited for Feint. Redid Feint and SA, it went straight to TH8.

So what did I personally learn today? TH doesnt go away when the THF dies. Only if the mob goes unclaimed would TH be lost. (Should someone say "post proof" I did take screenshots from my log just incase) Needless to say, I am happily surprised.
 Sylph.Shandok
By Sylph.Shandok 2013-01-14 17:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
i believe they changed it last year.
im not 100% sure though

THF does indeed get a +1 to TH rate. Seen it many times, long as you have signet and are in a conquest area. So this wont help in Aby, Toau, or Wotg.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-14 17:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
It's when you make claims which are, bluntly, ludicrous and then your only form of justification is "from my personal experience" - you claim to parse your runs yet you've offered none of these parses that prove your claim.

Your experience may be well and good but as humans our judgement and analysis of situations like this isn't exactly great. "The fish was THIS big" comes to mind - whilst you may be right based on your judgement, it's not physical proof. And going on the way you're so determined to be right and the way you've spoken down to anyone criticising you, I don't honestly trust your judgement very much!
I don't have the parses saved anymore. Call that "convenient" if you wish. I'd re-parse but ever since the December update, I haven't been able to get Kparser to work for me.

I'm not trying to back down from what I said, or trying to say that I didn't mean it. What I'm saying is that I didn't mean it exactly the way you read it. If I was trying to say that TH2=TH7 then I would have said "I roll with TH2 from /thf and get the exact same drop rate." However, when I was writing that post, I meant it as "I roll with TH2 from /thf and get about the same drop rate."

This is why, in my later posts, as people started to get all touchy about it, that I used words like "similar" and "discernible difference" to better clarify my meaning.

Higher levels of TH will give people better chance at drops, for one particular fight. However, when you are farming, you don't tend to just fight one thing and then call it. You typically are there for a while, grinding and grinding. This being the case, taking the time to level up TH to 8, 9, 10, etc... this is really just a waste of time.

Obviously this doesn't apply if you have the numbers to where extra damage isn't going to make much of a difference. But for things like dynamis, or pop item farming in abyssea... these are the types of events I'm referring to.
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-01-16 08:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
I've never heard anyone call themselves a TH8 THF, buuut, that aside, feint + sneak attack is almost a guaranteed TH8 proc, if you're wearing all TH gear. I've only seen it not proc a handful of times.
Is that from using SA on the attack round that applies Feint? Or any SA whilst the Feint debuff is on the target in your experience?
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-01-16 08:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
stuff
So just admit you worded it badly at the start and have since changed your stance from "It's the same" to "It's almost the same".

Goddamn people on the internet and their goddamn pride. Learn to hold your hands up and say "Whoops, I was wrong". It doesn't make you any less of a man. In fact it probably proves you more mature than the majority of people.

Seriously, had you said "Ok, I meant almost the same instead of the same, my bad" instead of trying to defend yourself, you probably would have avoided 2-3 pages of this bollocks and looked like less of a pillock whilst doing it.
[+]
 Odin.Naytan
Server: Odin
user: Naytan
By Odin.Naytan 2013-01-18 14:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shandok said: »

Odin.Eikechi said: »
no, that's actually exactly how it works. TH is a "debuff" that stays on the mob until you wipe or it goes passive.

Got some info on this from personal exp today. Dying does NOT clear the TH! I had done a TH6, Feint, SA, Got TH7 procced. Then died, Reraised up, waited for Feint. Redid Feint and SA, it went straight to TH8.

So what did I personally learn today? TH doesnt go away when the THF dies. Only if the mob goes unclaimed would TH be lost. (Should someone say "post proof" I did take screenshots from my log just incase) Needless to say, I am happily surprised.
Dying doesn't remove TH. People found that out when it was found out that TH was treated as a debuff on the mob. They also at that same time assumed you could warp out change jobs or w/e and TH would stay, but I thought SE had said something about THF needing to remain in alliance and within exp range when the mob dies for it to stay in effect. I'm not completely sure because I forget where I had read/head that.
 Carbuncle.Pandonius
user: Pandonius
By Carbuncle.Pandonius 2013-01-18 20:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So... sad people still don't understand TH >.o
I love these TH threads, they make me laugh so hard. Thank you everyone ^_^)/
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
Server: Ragnarok
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2013-01-20 11:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kurriko said: »
Bismarck.Helel said: »
I've never heard anyone call themselves a TH8 THF, buuut, that aside, feint + sneak attack is almost a guaranteed TH8 proc, if you're wearing all TH gear. I've only seen it not proc a handful of times.
Is that from using SA on the attack round that applies Feint? Or any SA whilst the Feint debuff is on the target in your experience?

In my experience is when i SA on the round that applies Feint, after every charm on SSR boss, i always Feint+SA followed by TA while the debuff is active and it's pretty rare to see TA upgrading TH.

Also, yesterday he managed to charm my mule before i could apply dot and he did regen from 45% to 77%, the next Feint+SA upgraded to TH10, so he didn't lost TH when he went in iddle which i found extrange
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-20 11:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Arcalimo said: »
Also, yesterday he managed to charm my mule before i could apply dot and he did regen from 45% to 77%, the next Feint+SA upgraded to TH10, so he didn't lost TH when he went in iddle which i found extrange
yup, simply going idle isn't enough to remove TH. I've seen it on this chariot as well. I assume it will wear off after some amount of idle time but I haven't tested how long (if it ever wears off at all).
By Smurfite 2013-01-20 11:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Ragnarok.Arcalimo said: »
yup, simply going idle isn't enough to remove TH. I've seen it on this chariot as well. I assume it will wear off after some amount of idle time but I haven't tested how long (if it ever wears off at all).

Regen to 100% will lose the treasure hunter.
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-20 14:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfite said: »
Regen to 100% will lose the treasure hunter.
I just confirmed this via testing on Dune Cockatrice.

If it's idle but HP < 100%, it retains the previous TH level.

If it's idle but HP reaches 100%, TH is reset.

[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-21 04:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kurriko said: »
stuff
So just admit you worded it badly at the start and have since changed your stance from "It's the same" to "It's almost the same".

Goddamn people on the internet and their goddamn pride. Learn to hold your hands up and say "Whoops, I was wrong". It doesn't make you any less of a man. In fact it probably proves you more mature than the majority of people.

Seriously, had you said "Ok, I meant almost the same instead of the same, my bad" instead of trying to defend yourself, you probably would have avoided 2-3 pages of this bollocks and looked like less of a pillock whilst doing it.
You're so pigheaded. Yes, I could have worded it perfectly. But yes, you could have interpreted it perfectly too. I didn't change my stance. I helped you to understand it. If you had actually read my previous post, you would have understood that instead of trying to chastise me and rant about stereotypical internet people
By Aeyela 2013-01-21 04:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You're so pigheaded. Yes, I could have worded it perfectly. But yes, you could have interpreted it perfectly too. I didn't change my stance. I helped you to understand it. If you had actually read my previous post, you would have understood that instead of trying to chastise me and rant about stereotypical internet people

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is the definition of somebody who needs to have the last word.
 Shiva.Damonz
Server: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2013-01-21 05:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are people still arguing about this?

Your TH lvl on thf is 3 + your TH gear.
TH2 and TH12 are close enough for drop rates on most everything.
TH is stored on mob.

/thread
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-21 09:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is the definition of somebody who needs to have the last word.
Yeah ok. Apparently responding to a post directed at me is equivalent to needing to have the last word. Get real

Shiva.Damonz said: »
Why are people still arguing about this?

Your TH lvl on thf is 3 + your TH gear.
TH2 and TH12 are close enough for drop rates on most everything.
TH is stored on mob.

/thread
QFT
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-21 11:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah ok. Apparently responding to a post directed at me is equivalent to needing to have the last word. Get real
I'm pretty sure his point is that you still haven't demonstrated the humility that, as Kurriko keenly pointed out, would have prevented all the puke that has landed in this thread, and your most recent post is just more evidence of that.

People word stuff poorly all the time. You can just say "oops," you don't have to rage about it.
[+]