How Do You Rate Your TH Level? By Base Or Proc?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » How do you rate your TH level? By Base or Proc?
How do you rate your TH level? By Base or Proc?
By Aeyela 2013-01-13 19:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
the difference between TH2 and TH8 is very very miniscule

If you said this in the first place, nobody would be disagreeing with you.
By Aeyela 2013-01-13 19:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Why would Square Enix give the chance to upgrade TH effectiveness if it didn't add any extra chances to get drops? That would make Thiefs completely pointless and people should stop playing the job.

And just to chime in with this post, I understand and agree wholeheartedly with Kylos. I don't understand why Eikechi made the comparison because they're totally different things. We're talking about comparing the addition of some kind to a mathematical formula to the inherent uselessness of a job because players choose not to use it. Comparing the maths behind TH to a job nobody plays because it has no niche to fill... I'm just not seeing how they're related.

We're talking about a job being useless because nobody plays it as it has no niche to fill and an addition to a mathematical formula. It might be so marginal we probably should not care a rat's arse but adding TH does something. The job is useless because the players have chosen to make it useless. We have no say over (or even understanding of) the exact formula for calculating treasure hunter and drop rates... They're two totally different things. I think Eikechi was mistaken for making this comparison. It threw Kylos's point way out of context.
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-13 20:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
You're basically saying TH2 = TH7 and that is not true.
That's not at all what I've said and I've even clarified it further.
Also, parsing drop rates doesn't prove an awful lot. If parsing drops is such a reliable way of determining how TH works, explain how somebody can go 0/500 on an NM drop and somebody else goes 1/1?
Now I'm not sure if troll or stupid?

I'll assume you aren't trolling. So here's how you explain that. You take 0/500 + 1/1 and you get 1/501. This gives you an effective drop rate of almost 0.2%
Now if someone else comes and goes 1/300, you just add that to both totals. You now have 2/801 giving you an effective drop rate of 0.25%

Continue collecting data like this and eventually you get an accurate drop rate.

Parsing in dynamis can give you an accurate drop rate much more quickly than NMs because your sample size gets bigger a lot faster. Each day you will get a couple hundred kills so after just a week or two you will have an accurate drop rate because your sample size will be large enough.
By Aeyela 2013-01-13 20:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually you did say that. Twice. If you hadn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation. As for your example, it doesn't prove at all that TH2 = TH7. Which is what I was asking you to prove.

Instead, cue your usual patronising and needlessly pompous response.

Kimble2013 said: »
Wow, you seem like a ***.

I think Kimble's on to something. You have a knack for wording things that makes you come across as such a tool, even when you're making a very good point (though that is not the case on this occasion.)
 Phoenix.Kaparu
Server: Phoenix
user: Tsuko
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-13 20:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Homeboy has never had an intelligent contribution to this forum; addressing his unsurprisingly idiotic blanket statement is not in your best interests.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-13 21:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

lol. Like I said, keep full timing your TH gear and level up that TH if it gives you the warm and fuzzies. From my personal experience and observations of others, I find it to be wasted time.

Actually you did say that. Twice. If you hadn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I said I was getting the same drop rate. I didn't say TH2=TH7. False accusation does nothing but make YOU look like a tool.

This is a quote from myself:
"I'm not saying it doesn't increase drop rate at all. I'm saying that the difference is so miniscule that it is EFFECTIVELY pointless."

Read that post back in page 1 to get the context of that statement before you argue it as a blanket statement.
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-13 21:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
TH2: 2.75
TH3/4: 2.85
TH6: 2.95
TH7 fulltime: 3.05
100 mobs killed at TH2: 275 coins
100 mobs killed at TH6: 295 coins

An extra 124k/day if your currency is 6.2k average and you can kill 100 mobs. Rather than debating over fuzzy qualifiers, people can decide for themselves if that amount of gil is worth it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-13 21:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The national lottery has just as much to do with this as RDM. You obviously missed his point. He was making an example of how SE does things that are pointless. They do it all the time, in almost every single update.

According to the testing that HAS been done on BG, the difference between TH2 and TH8 is very very miniscule. Comparing lottery tickets to levels of TH is no where near an accurate representation. I do understand your point though. Drops are random. It's a matter of luck for every drop. I'm just a firm believer that doing more damage is more valuable than taking TH past level 2

Once again, in the grand scheme of things, your TH2 drop rate is not equal to a TH7 drop rate, which is what you were claiming. Kill yourself.

I sub thf and put up TH2 and get the same drop rate.
In what archaic broken english is this not saying "/thf = thf/"?
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-13 21:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You've always had a way with words, Nynja
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-13 22:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I never claimed to be a nice person :D
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-13 22:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate the subtly of your subtly
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-13 22:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

But idiots who post ***like "I made an emp all with /thf and got plenty of double drops" deserve to be treated like idiots.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-13 22:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
But idiots who post ***like "I made an emp all with /thf and got plenty of double drops" deserve to be treated like idiots.

Actually saying that is entirely different from what Peldin said in general. He did say he farmed up empies, but getting a lot of doubles is pretty much luck based.

Also I FRIGGIN HATE, when people attribute any and every drop to your level of TH. "Oh you got that super rare item. That was totally my TH1". Like gtfo it. It was a lucky roll on the RNG lol.
By Kimble2013 2013-01-13 22:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

We all know the only thing that makes things drops is koki.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-01-13 22:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

We all know the only thing that makes things drops is koki.
I prefer the Holy II and <call4> method, but whatever floats your boat.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-13 23:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

In what archaic broken english is this not saying "/thf = thf/"?
Are you dense? As I've already said, I clarified it a couple posts later because apparently you and a couple others here take phrases literally. Which is fine. I thought it was obvious that I was conveying it as partially facetious but apparently you guys get super serious when it comes to TH.

Not at all what I said. Maybe you should go back and read. If english isn't your first language, then I can understand your confusion.

I do think that nin/thf is better for farming in abyssea for my character. My nin and thf have equivalent gear but my nin has a better weapon and much faster kill speed. This may not be the case for everyone, but generally it will be better for most people to use nin/thf rather than main spec thf for a lot of situations because the TH difference is too small to value over the kill speed.
By Kimble2013 2013-01-13 23:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It would make it a lot easier if you didn't play the whole macho *** man and just admit that you phrased what you meant wrong the first time instead of trying to tell people they can't read.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-13 23:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you dense? As I've already said, I clarified it a couple posts later because apparently you and a couple others here take phrases literally. Which is fine. I thought it was obvious that I was conveying it as partially facetious but apparently you guys get super serious when it comes to TH.

I do think that nin/thf is better for farming in abyssea for my character. My nin and thf have equivalent gear but my nin has a better weapon and much faster kill speed. This may not be the case for everyone, but generally it will be better for most people to use nin/thf rather than main spec thf for a lot of situations because the TH difference is too small to value over the kill speed.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/114/safeface2ap4.jpg
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-14 01:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding troll to your list of fine qualities? good job.

It would make it a lot easier if you didn't play the whole macho *** man and just admit that you phrased what you meant wrong the first time instead of trying to tell people they can't read.
Fair enough. Although the only thing I would change would be to say "similar" instead of "same."
By Aeyela 2013-01-14 05:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

lol. Like I said, keep full timing your TH gear and level up that TH if it gives you the warm and fuzzies. From my personal experience and observations of others, I find it to be wasted time.

You're not understanding people's objection with what you're saying. It's all well and good to make claims and we appreciate the chance to discuss things with you. It's when you make claims which are, bluntly, ludicrous and then your only form of justification is "from my personal experience" - you claim to parse your runs yet you've offered none of these parses that prove your claim.

Your experience may be well and good but as humans our judgement and analysis of situations like this isn't exactly great. "The fish was THIS big" comes to mind - whilst you may be right based on your judgement, it's not physical proof. And going on the way you're so determined to be right and the way you've spoken down to anyone criticising you, I don't honestly trust your judgement very much!

Imagine it from our position. If somebody told you 2+2 = 5 and then spent an entire thread arguing about it, claiming the whole time they had evidence but didn't show you... How would you perceive this? Were you neutral to this thread and reading your posts made by somebody else I'm fairly sure (going on the way you love to talk down to people) you'd be joining in against yourself right now.

I said I was getting the same drop rate. I didn't say TH2=TH7. False accusation does nothing but make YOU look like a tool.

Again, these are not false accusations.

I sub thf and put up TH2 and get the same drop rate.

I've played THF with TH7 and I've played /THF with TH2. There isn't a discernible difference in drop rate.

On two occasions you have said what I am 'falsely' accusing you of. Now you're acting like they were off the cuff remarks which they may well have been - but your insistence to argue about it and belittle people over them suggests otherwise.

And yes, you are right. Treasure Hunter is a touchy subject for a lot of people. But that's because people like you come into threads where people are asking TH questions and spout nonsense like "TH2 is the same as TH7".
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-14 08:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding troll to your list of fine qualities? good job.
You're accusing me of trolling when you're the one who on multiple occasions pretty much said "TH2 = TH7" in different words, and are now backing down on it and calling everyone a whiny baby who takes ***too literally and needs to lighten up. But you say I'm trolling, ok.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-01-14 09:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If I understand it right, the difference between TH2 and TH7 or 8 is tiny on small size samples, but it's huge on a bigger scale.
If you earn up to 120k each run with TH8, 100 runs later you earn 12M. That's a huge difference.
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-01-14 09:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
If I understand it right, the difference between TH2 and TH7 or 8 is tiny on small size samples, but it's huge on a bigger scale.
If you earn up to 120k each run with TH8, 100 runs later you earn 12M. That's a huge difference.

well the % increase(difference) in money/run stays the same.. just with 100 Runs the number looks more impressive^^
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-01-14 09:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
Cerberus.Detzu said: »

well the % increase(difference) in money/run stays the same.. just with 100 Runs the number looks more impressive^^

That's what i'm trying to say, sorry if i can't word it correctly.
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-01-14 10:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
How do you rate your TH level? By Base or Proc?

Always measure from the base. ;D
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-14 11:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

TH8 gives "better" drops than TH2, unfortunately the drops might not be what you want. Once only needs to farm 100 pieces in non-dreamlands to see a marked difference in how many drop between the two. Dynamis is a good example though, singles are all about the procs. TH9 (common to obtain on a mob) won't do much to help a 1 drop, but TH9 and stagger a mob, and seeing a 4 drop is not uncommon.

Also, *** if I can remember where, but SE has officially said that TPing in TH+ gear increases the chance for your hits to upgrade TH. A giant middle finger to thieves, ain't it?

But yeah, your first white hit, whether or not it procs, sets your innate TH on it. If you're in full TH gear, it puts TH7 on it, with chances to proc throughout the fight. Switching to naked thf, your first proc will still say TH8, but it will be harder to get than all that TH+7 gear.

A lot of thieves don't want to TP in TH gear, but simultaneously, if you're on thf, it's because you want a drop. Noone cares if you're using Evisceration or Mercy stroke. They hate you if something doesn't drop, and joke about their natural good luck if it does. Just as we same thieves do when we're on other jobs.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-14 11:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Also, *** if I can remember where, but SE has officially said that TPing in TH+ gear increases the chance for your hits to upgrade TH. A giant middle finger to thieves, ain't it?
Not really. Like you said, its not really noticeable on dynamis, and in a place like that, you'd be better off going for kill speed instead of chancing a TH+ proc, since guaranteeing the extra currency via procs and more kills is better than hoping for extra currency via TH+.

But if you're going for a rare drop, and you're not bound by time, you might as well make an attempt as raising that TH (NQ kings for HQ pop, salvage I bosses/Salvage II NQ bosses for Linen, etc etc). And before someone chimes in saying "you're always bound by time since you can make more gil elsewhere when you're not trying to raise TH", I'd like to point out that while you're sticking your penis in your girlfriends vagina (presuming you have one), you're not making gil either, and I hope thats not what you're focusing on when you're getting laid.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-14 11:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Not really. Like you said, its not really noticeable on dynamis, and in a place like that, you'd be better off going for kill speed instead of chancing a TH+ proc.

But if you're going for a rare drop, and you're not bound by time, you might as well make an attempt as raising that TH (NQ kings for HQ pop, salvage I bosses/Salvage II NQ bosses for Linen, etc etc). And before someone chimes in saying "you're always bound by time since you can make more gil elsewhere when you're not trying to raise TH", I'd like to point out that while you're sticking your penis in your girlfriends vagina (presuming you have one), you're not making gil either.

Actually, I made the case that dynamis is where it is noticeable.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-14 11:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Then I'd have to disagree with you there. If you kill 100 mobs with TH7 at an average of 2.5 currency per kill, you get 250 currency. If you kill 90 mobs at an average of 2.7 currency per kill fulltiming TH gear, you get 243 currency.