Looking To See What Role Is A RDM Now?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-25 22:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Odin.Zelphes said: »
Lye said: »
I did roughly half of my runs nin/thf + whm.
That explains it. Spending half a run on floor 1 must certainly put some strain on upper floors if you going for all NMs for plans+ NQ/HQ using NIN & WHM only.
We've done this run with 2 heavy DD's and the first floor is still a solid 30 minutes. Bringing a RDM allows us to have WS on BOTH DD's, drastically speeding up the floor and leaving time to farm alex. There are sacrifices people make in order to bring the jobs they THINK are best, but different strategies warrant different setups. And as both me an sawtelle have stated, RDM flat out does naked/no sub/no JA better than any of the other mages, and that makes it useful for some things.
WTF are you smoking? I've already laid out the distribution of initial unlocks. You get one guaranteed JA at the start and that should be going to a DD. Mage gets sub maybe (RDM is useless with it's sub without JA so it doesn't even get sub). We knock out the first floor in 20m or less. Your feeling stressed because your doing it wrong. WAR/SAM THF/WAR WHM/??? (depends who is our healer that day) Our WHM brings along two hi-elixers just-in-case. Ritualistic plans are sh!t easy to farm, marduke on the other hand are much harder as you gotta deal with the annoying wamura. In both cause's the dahak is easy if you keep it silenced, which either a WHM or a SCH can do. You actually do better with a WHM in this zone cause you start out with stona and erase which are both incredibly helpful on the first floor. The second floor is where you'll see JA / SJ / Magic being handed out.

Excuse me, having a subjob is not productive for a WAR DRK SAM MNK, much better to use that unlock on a SCH mule so they can function in the same role that the RDM would do without. Expand your mind beyond your blatant hatered of the job.
[+]
By Solrain 2013-02-25 22:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sort of in Saevel's camp on the subject. Since we're bringing WHM into this, I'd say that heavy DD + WHM/THF (TH sash makes it even nicer) is the way to go for strictly farming Usu plans, in the interest of time (although Lye's NIN seems to be better geared than most, so would give a pass here). Really anything is fine if it's just plan farming.

Saevel said:
Next you'll be telling us how you beat Havana with a RDM healer.

I have ~20 times, a friend and I dual-boxing for my Mala (no clusters), it's not that bad.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-02-25 22:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH/BLM is far superior to RDM at CS stun. Kinda lame they destroyed the one saving grace of RDM.

RDM is still useful in dynamis though. I love RDM/DNC + BLU/DNC combo. It's not bad in salvage either. I'd definitely use RDM over WHM, but probably not over SCH. Embrava is too delicious, even nerfed.
 Odin.Zelphes
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-25 22:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

HAHA! There's a post by the door. Hitch your high horse there.

This thread isn't about "the superior way to farm salvage." This thread is about what RDM is used for. This is one use.

Think about it. Limiting your way of farming Salvage by skipping bosses, because you can't clear all NMs+bosses with your RDM (mule 2-boxing?) is pretty relevant to what's been going on the last two pages.
[+]
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-25 23:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

More like you can't clear all NMs + bosses with a just a NIN for DD. Don't see what's up with all the RDM hate in here. Can fully clear all NMs and bosses with RDM, WHM or SCH as healer.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-25 23:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

HAHA! There's a post by the door. Hitch your high horse there. This thread isn't about "the superior way to farm salvage." This thread is about what RDM is used for. This is one use.
Think about it. Limiting your way of farming Salvage by skipping bosses, because you can't clear all NMs+bosses with your RDM (mule 2-boxing?) is pretty relevant to what's been going on the last two pages.

Never had to skip any bosses, in fact the superior speed RDM give on lower floors allowed us to farm alex as well and still clear both bosses. As long as you're not using the 2012 zergfest method on everything in sight, RDM heals just fine.
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-25 23:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
More like you can't clear all NMs + bosses with a just a NIN for DD. Don't see what's up with all the RDM hate in here. Can fully clear all NMs and bosses with RDM, WHM or SCH as healer.

This is true. I don't deny this. I don't deny that as a nin I'm unable to kill either cerb. That doesn't have anything to do with rdm or what people do with it. Sch wouldn't change that. Whm wouldn't change that.

What does have to do with rdm is that in the aforementioned scenario, it provides a faster route to all usu plan dropping nms. Therefore, it is a use for rdm.

I like how this turned into the "superior way to do salvage" though. Keep it up!
 Odin.Registry
user: R3G1STRY
By Odin.Registry 2013-02-25 23:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

HAHA! There's a post by the door. Hitch your high horse there. This thread isn't about "the superior way to farm salvage." This thread is about what RDM is used for. This is one use.

Never had to skip any bosses, in fact the superior speed RDM give on lower floors allowed us to farm alex as well and still clear both bosses. As long as you're not using the 2012 zergfest method on everything in sight, RDM heals just fine.

Since when do you do Salvage? >:
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-25 23:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

That was in response to Zelphes implying it's the RDM's fault that you can't duo the bosses with your setup.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-25 23:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That was in response to Zelphes implying it's the RDM's fault that you can't duo the bosses with your setup.

I'm sorry. I misread. I'm also sad I missed your shout for ein today.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-25 23:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Your avatar is creepy, by the way. What the hell is that?
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-25 23:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Your avatar is creepy, by the way. What the hell is that?

Great Teacher Onizuka waking up. Everyone thinks it's a crying kid;;;
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-25 23:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Registry said: »

Since you got your piece >.>
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-26 00:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna let you two hash it out, but the "superior way" of farming Salvage is to kill all nms+bosses. Adjust your setup accordingly.

Even if you're only dual-boxing.

More like you can't clear all NMs + bosses with a just a NIN for DD.

It's no surprise the reason he can't kill the bosses is because he's NIN - this was already covered last page.

Restricting your salvage farm (skipping bosses), and then saying RDM is the "superior" mage in your niche-farming (farming plans only) doesn't pass off as a good argument.

I clear all nms+bosses+almost a full wing for alex in that zone as MNK+SCH with ease.

And I can tell you this:

for plan-farming only, RDM and SCH are pretty much identical, with some benefits towards SCH once JA/SUB is unlocked since you can just leave perp'd phal/Regen 5 up and not care about HP (merit+aug storm buffs+regain is nice too) giving more room for offensive spells.

In this zone, RDM doesn't have any noticeable advantages as starter mage - going in with two.

If you need to top off mp, you aspir the puddings.

For bosses, SCH blows RDM out of the way - even with nerfed Embrava.

So in no way is RDM "superior" for even plan-farming/the scenario you're suggesting. Can RDM do it well? sure it's just friggin plan NMs.

Just take into consideration that the discussion between Lye and me involves 2 characters farming only.

If you use a 3rd player, I'd agree to the above.

Uh since it was out.
[+]
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-26 00:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure that was aimed at me, or it wouldn't made any sense :x
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-26 00:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Was a jab at a friend, its not all about you zel :p
[+]
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-26 00:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Was a jab at a friend, its not all about you zel :p

Damn, that was mad confusing then haha. Did I overdo it?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-26 00:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, that was mad confusing then haha. Did I overdo it?

A little
 Odin.Registry
user: R3G1STRY
By Odin.Registry 2013-02-26 00:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, that was aimed at Jass, not you. :s
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-26 00:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Limiting your way of farming Salvage by skipping bosses, because you can't clear all NMs+bosses with your RDM (mule 2-boxing?) is pretty relevant to what's been going on the last two pages.
My post was directed towards this.

So in no way is RDM "superior" for even plan-farming/the scenario you're suggesting.
Didn't say it was.

I'm not arguing that RDM is a better healer in Salvage overall. I'm saying a group can completely clear all NMs, all gears (possibly excluding some SSR), and both bosses with either RDM, SCH or WHM, so I'm not sure why people (mainly Saevel) are trying to completely write off RDM altogether. I personally don't care what my mage chooses to go as. It's all the same to me.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-26 00:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Limiting your way of farming Salvage by skipping bosses, because you can't clear all NMs+bosses with your RDM (mule 2-boxing?) is pretty relevant to what's been going on the last two pages.
My post was directed towards this.

So in no way is RDM "superior" for even plan-farming/the scenario you're suggesting.
Didn't say it was.

I'm not arguing that RDM is a better healer in Salvage overall. I'm saying a group can completely clear all NMs, all gears (possibly excluding some SSR), and both bosses with either RDM, SCH or WHM, so I'm not sure why people (mainly Saevel) are trying to completely write off RDM altogether. I personally don't care what my mage chooses to go as. It's all the same to me.

The line under your quote was directed @you only.

Though, using 2 characters only, and your support being RDM can make HQ cerb painful and a long fight since Embrava+Regen 5 and buffed Kaustra goes a long way in that fight.

But certainly doable with skilled/decked out characters.
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-26 00:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude.

I think we'll end here. It's a nice summary.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-26 01:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Because there is absolutely nothing RDM brings to the table that SCH or WHM doesn't do better. Never said it wasn't functional only that there were far superior options available. You mind as well start arguing on bringing DNC and PUP to salvage.

Quote:
If you use a 3rd player, I'd agree to the above.

Except he's horribly wrong. There is no speed increase from RDM, none zilch zero nada. If anything there would be a decrease as you have to wait for status ailments to wear off. The guys pushing RDM are doing so because they have no other options not because it's better then SCH or WHM.

This isn't me hating, RDM is actually my favorite job. I'm being real with folks, SE has refused to give RDM anything really game changing while giving WHM, SCH, BLU and soon RUN tons of nifty tools and abilities. This has resulted in other jobs having everything that RDM does while also having their own specialized abilities and tools. I'm only using salvage as it's an event I've done a metric f*ck ton of by leading a group. The same logic that applies here will apple to everything else, meebles, voidwatch, abyssea, legion, NNI, even new stuff from SOA. There isn't a situation with a RDM in it that can't be made better by replacing them with a SCH, BLU, WHM or PLD (depending on situation). So really RDM becomes a bandaid job, something you use because nobody in your group has SCH, WHM, BLU, ect.. leveled / geared. It's the donut spare tire you keep in your trunk.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-26 01:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Except it doesn't. The scenario did not falsify the claim that SCH > RDM in salvage. You can't claim "I win because I declare myself correct".
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-26 01:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You sure are making a lot of false assumptions.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-26 01:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude

What exactly makes RDM superior for plan-only runs going as NIN/THF+RDM?

You have not once explained to why RDM suppose to be "superior" for this kinda farming.

In contrast to you, I actually gave an explanation about how both jobs perform for your kind of farming.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-26 01:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You sure are making a lot of false assumptions.

Name them.

Quote:
What exactly makes RDM superior for plan-only runs going as NIN/THF+RDM?

You have not once explained to why RDM suppose to be "superior" for this kinda farming.

In contrast to you, I actually gave an explanation about how both jobs perform for your kind of farming.

Their operating under the faulty premise that RDM makes it "faster" on the first floor. In actual use it's no more faster then SCH and potentially slower then WHM. Throughout the entire run it's overall the worst choice of healer between the three. Provides nothing the other two can't do better. Their also trying to pretend Phalanx II on a naked RDM actually means something which nearly made be shoot coffee out my nose.

The "fastest" healer on 1st floor is WHM/RDM, only needs 1 SJ and 1 Magic unlock which allows the guaranteed JA and possible second JA to go to one of the two DDs. If you get two subs then the 2nd sub will go the DD that get JA unlocked. You now have Haste, Refresh, Dia II, Paralyze, Slow, Protect V, Shell V, -na's and erase, everything required to breeze through the initial unlock phase. It lags behind WHM/SCH and SCH/RDM later in the run once those two combos get JA and some gear options.

There is no such thing as a "two man" salvage run, minimum entry requirements are three. Most dual boxers will make it a BRD or a THF though, which is why going /THF on one of the DD's isn't just stupid, it's beyond HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-26 01:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mystaria said: »
Would love to learn what roles a rdm can do in the endgame world
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Never said it wasn't functional only that there were far superior options available.
This thread is about what RDM is used for. This is one use.
And for the record, I'm not debating whether RDM can fulfill it's role in salvage or not because it can function fine there.
I'm not arguing that RDM is a better healer in Salvage overall. I'm saying a group can completely clear all NMs, all gears, and both bosses with either RDM, SCH or WHM
Odin.Sawtelle said: »
Because all 3 function, it is ridiculous to say that salvage healer isn't a roll rdm can play.

I don't get how this is still going on.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-26 01:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Solrain said: »
I have ~20 times, a friend and I dual-boxing for my Mala (no clusters), it's not that bad.

I was saying that because Havana is such a joke now that successfully main healing it on RDM isn't exactly an accomplishment.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-26 01:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been shouting for a 3rd to enter my characters for a fee, then they warp out.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11