Looking To See What Role Is A RDM Now?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Caitsith.Zabimaru
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Zabimaru
By Caitsith.Zabimaru 2013-01-09 09:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vladislav said: »
Well RDM is ok to do old stuff missions/etc solo especially i was found RDM is really great in WotG

This. I soloed most of the WotG bcnm fights on RDM/BLU. With good pdt set (including Genbu shield) + pro/shell 5 + stoneskin + phalanx + cocoon + some def food + barspells. I was pretty much untouchable even against like 5 mobs. And stuff like Temper and enspells help with damage, plus I still had a lot of haste gear on and Almace didn't hurt either.
 Sylph.Wardeniii
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2013-01-09 09:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
Chainspell stun for ADL maybe?

Nope.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-09 09:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zabimaru said: »
Bahamut.Vladislav said: »
Well RDM is ok to do old stuff missions/etc solo especially i was found RDM is really great in WotG

This. I soloed most of the WotG bcnm fights on RDM/BLU. With good pdt set (including Genbu shield) + pro/shell 5 + stoneskin + phalanx + cocoon + some def food + barspells. I was pretty much untouchable even against like 5 mobs. And stuff like Temper and enspells help with damage, plus I still had a lot of haste gear on and Almace didn't hurt either.

I actually did the opposite, favoring blu for zerg potential, and only using rdm for survival battles.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-01-09 11:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

My alt is a dedicated RDM. Her two event LSs let her come along on most everything.

Cross party healing and Dia III. If the mobs live long enough Paralyze II and Slow II.

I think she did chainstun once in the last three months.

/SCH is the most all around useful sub. But for most events she is /BLM for stun, sleepga, and D2. For Limbus they always want her /WHM to tele.

Seeing as how RDM melee is mostly a solo activity you don't need an almace at all. I tend to use the Chimeric Fleuret, the Mageblade, and an Aluh Jambiya. A Genesis Shield completes the kit.

(Never did claim to be uber at RDM melee, mostly its for fun and the occasional WS proc.)
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-01-09 11:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ryuotas said: »
This is good, because RDM has never needed Cure V, and the less SE tries to make RDM like other Jobs
I think its was inevitable with the introduction of SCH. The job classes have many similarities. At this point in the game I don't think they can make RDM "original" without hindering SCH and vice-versa, unless they get more debuffs? But that would require implementing debuffs into EG strategy.

Quetzacoatl said: »
I also thought the crying for cure 5 would have ended by now.
The RDMs and SCHs of the world want it ALL!!!
[+]
 Sylph.Mystaria
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Mystaria 2013-01-09 11:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so basically what I seen is this:
RDM - Nice in between or extra proc support for VW. Example with its Fast Cast, it COULD cover T2-4 BLM, Darkness. May even do this faster then BLMs could. Allowing BLMS to focus on Gas, Jas, and AM.

in Aby - Refresh support could be useful on some NMs. Ive seen WHMs and BLMs still drain MP. (Still a situational thing tho...)

Other then that, seems RDM would only be my choice to use for say solo story missions, quests, or [S] area fun. (Then again, that too would depend as I could use DNC too, but least as RDM, Id have spells to buff me up)

Kinda lame when you think about it tho what SE did here.. God.. I miss the days when RDM was least something ideal to a party. Good to know it helps for Salvage tho.
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
Server: Ragnarok
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2013-01-09 12:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, something had to be done with the cure spells back in the day, Cure V was just the known and easiest solution imo, the cure revamp was good enough as an alternative, in my opinion a better solution, but people thinks in the easier stuff first.
I, for one, was in favour of cure V for RDM back then, and still think it wouldn't break the game, Regen V is more overpowered than cure V & VI imo. Currently, unless you need curagas, SCH beats WHM to main heal, RDMs having cure V wouldn't change this at all.

The current problem is that on anything that a rdm can solo heal now probably even a brd/whm can do it also while "converting their allies into demigods" <.<, what we need is to have more useful buffs that can be casted on party members.

That said, to me, the job still has the roles that previously had, it just lacks efficiency. (Well, all but the tank role i guess, that just doesn't exist on the game anymore?)
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-01-09 12:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Why would you expect him to be cocky? Sorry, but that is not a huge deal that someone can have an ego over something small like that lol. I'm also guessing you're the one that told him so he could send his lengthy PM. It's my opinion bro.

Lol, post on a public forum, surprised when people see it....

Choosing spells out of your spell list so that spellcast can change all your gear for you on a 75 nm is a far cry from vanilla macro's on stuff that's designed for huge buffs and 3k hp.

lol you must be joking.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-01-09 12:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Arcalimo said: »
(Well, all but the tank role i guess, that just doesn't exist on the game anymore?)
hi2u Rune Fencer!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-09 12:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Why would you expect him to be cocky? Sorry, but that is not a huge deal that someone can have an ego over something small like that lol. I'm also guessing you're the one that told him so he could send his lengthy PM. It's my opinion bro.

Lol, post on a public forum, surprised when people see it....

Choosing spells out of your spell list so that spellcast can change all your gear for you on a 75 nm is a far cry from vanilla macro's on stuff that's designed for huge buffs and 3k hp.

lol you must be joking.

Why would i be joking? Its pretty clear I'm not. Go solo azdaja without widower, spellcast, atma, or cruor buffs, then come back here and criticize someone for their right to be perceived as pompus.
[+]
 Asura.Werdxi
Server: Asura
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2013-01-09 13:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

They do have extremely impressive fast cast at this point if you put the work in to getting all the gear. But idk if i call a job useful for casting spells other jobs have but a little faster, since they have nothing unique about them ever since whm took addle. and dont bother mentioning temper. what a joke
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2013-01-09 13:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I really enjoy my DD rdm with Excalibur. I geared it up more of a lulz thing, but ended up really enjoying it. I can do very constant 2.5k Requiscat on dynamis mobs and rdm/war with temper gets tons of DA, so TP comes pretty quick. As far as using DD Rdm in anything endgame related... I wouldn't plan on it, but I still find the job very fun.
By Mysticales 2013-01-10 02:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Temper + Joytoy I have fun with when soloing around for quests heh... Add a good Enspell the mob is weak to and its fun.

I mean I wish it were that debuff spells would STICK now on all these end game mobs and actually last to be of use.. but just doesnt seem needed or work much anymore.

Tho if I could think of one thing off the top of my head... If RDM had a Elm Seal of some sort... I could see RDM being a viable option for aby and vw again... Imagine a RDM/BRD for example with elm seal. Get the Mid range nukes, bard procs with seal, and cures. Now that would be fun.

And Derp... forgot to post using char name lol.
 Phoenix.Meowzer
Server: Phoenix
user: Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-12 15:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Last time I checked, they planned on giving Red Mage a version of Elemental Seal for Enfeebling Magic.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-01-13 02:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Meowzer said: »
Last time I checked, they planned on giving Red Mage a version of Elemental Seal for Enfeebling Magic.

On a 60m timer, OMG that would be soooo overpowering <.<

The creation of SCH pretty much ended anything RDM could possibly do. SCH/RDM can do everything a RDM/SCH could do, and does it better. SCH/BLM can stun lock orders of magnitude better then RDM/BLM could due to RDM's E dark magic skill. SCH/anything can heal better then RDM could ever hope to. SCH/RDM can nuke better then RDM/SCH can dream about. And the final nail is that BLU can easily out melee RDM.

This leaves soloing NMs as the only viable niche left for RDM to even be remotely useful at.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-13 02:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
On a 60m timer, OMG that would be soooo overpowering <.< The creation of SCH pretty much ended anything RDM could possibly do. SCH/RDM can do everything a RDM/SCH could do, and does it better. SCH/BLM can stun lock orders of magnitude better then RDM/BLM could due to RDM's E dark magic skill. SCH/anything can heal better then RDM could ever hope to. SCH/RDM can nuke better then RDM/SCH can dream about. And the final nail is that BLU can easily out melee RDM. This leaves soloing NMs as the only viable niche left for RDM to even be remotely useful at.

Saying RDM is not remotely useful at any of those roles is blind idiocy. You said it both ways in your post, so I'll highlight the correct part...

Its not that RDM isn't useful, its that any role it fills, another job fills better. NONE of those other jobs fill all the roles RDM does or can shift as quickly between them without sacrifice. RDM is far from useless.

The playerbase is the main thing keeping RDM out of endgame, not RDM or the content. The job needs help, content and game balance needs work, but its the mindset.
[+]
 Asura.Myrrh
user: Myrrhic
By Asura.Myrrh 2013-01-13 04:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

People's minds cannot be changed unless the bandwagon changes.

Le sigh.
 Phoenix.Meowzer
Server: Phoenix
user: Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-13 04:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

On a 60m timer, OMG that would be soooo overpowering <.<

The creation of SCH pretty much ended anything RDM could possibly do. SCH/RDM can do everything a RDM/SCH could do, and does it better. SCH/BLM can stun lock orders of magnitude better then RDM/BLM could due to RDM's E dark magic skill. SCH/anything can heal better then RDM could ever hope to. SCH/RDM can nuke better then RDM/SCH can dream about. And the final nail is that BLU can easily out melee RDM.

This leaves soloing NMs as the only viable niche left for RDM to even be remotely useful at.
This thread's title was about what Red Mage can do, not can't. Keep responses relevant, positive, and in good taste. Otherwise you shouldn't contribute to the topic. (And before you make a snipe back, remember, it's just a video game.)

Anyway, back on discussion:
Mystaria, if you happen to have some really close friends or a group that's willing to static on the test server (or sacrifice time/effort on the retail server), experiment with your options. Some people may think it's a useless time sink, but those who care more about having fun than playing Final Fantasy XI like a job may be willing to try out different tactics involving you as a Red Mage in current end-game endeavors. Just go have fun with it!
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-13 04:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread's title was about what Red Mage can do, not can't. Keep responses relevant, positive, and in good taste. Otherwise you shouldn't contribute to the topic. (And before you make a snipe back, remember, it's just a video game)

Nothing that will make people take it over other jobs for current endgame.
By Mookies 2013-01-13 05:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Their position is Left Out.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-13 10:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
This thread's title was about what Red Mage can do, not can't. Keep responses relevant, positive, and in good taste. Otherwise you shouldn't contribute to the topic. (And before you make a snipe back, remember, it's just a video game)
Nothing that will make people take it over other jobs for current endgame.

I'll take a good RDM over a bad SCH anyday.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-01-13 11:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If we assume equal skill, RDM is like not a job you'd use for majority of content.

Phalanx 2 MAYBE but typically WHM or SCH only. RDM is more for solo stuff these days, not a party support job that provides anything another job can't do better.

Not saying its all together useless, but it doesn't have strong enough cures to be a healer, their nukes are only t4 and lack of macc/mab/skill makes it an inadequet nuker compared to BLU SCH BLM, Enhancing spells, well SCH embrava and haste cycles is more than enough, so RDM doesn't have much to add their.

Enfeebles seem to be the only thing a RDM has over other jobs, but most mobs are immune/resistant to enfeebs and unless content is adjusted to make these more useful, RDM has no real role anymore.
Just a Helper if your short.. but never a first choice, or 2nd, or 3rd, or even 4th
 Leviathan.Egonn
Server: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2013-01-13 11:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lillica said: »
RDM is used for soloing Urteils.

This. Lol
 Odin.Nineball
user: Nineball
By Odin.Nineball 2013-02-09 14:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

On Odin, there is a certain JP group I know that uses CS stun after ADL split.

My LS uses CS Stun to lock Legion Sandworm in physical move just because it's a nuisance.

I also like CS Stun on Prov Watcher post 50% aura chenge. Just to guarantee no nuisance fetters.

So really... just CS Stun.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-24 07:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

This explains RDM's "role" perfectly...
[+]
 Bismarck.Siggymund
Premium
Server: Bismarck
user: Sigmund
By Bismarck.Siggymund 2013-02-24 08:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Saevel, Well played :)
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2013-02-24 09:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It can hold adds in VW with a good PDT setup. Useful for lowmanning the Salvege II Dvergr as well.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-02-24 09:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Nineball said: »
CS Stun
SCH/BLM does it better to be honest. Three Second recast with Embrava, Haste, Alacrity, AF2+2 Feet, and a Haste/fastcast set. 3.5 minutes of Tabula Rasa to spam alacrity with too.

Asura.Vyre said: »
lowmanning the Salvege II
This is very true. I dualbox RDM + SAM or RDM +DRK. Could probably do it with a SCH but those Tier2 debuffs on the bosses are nice with saboteur.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-02-24 10:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Phalanx 2 MAYBE but typically WHM or SCH only.

I de meritted Phalanx 2 on my RDM alt. /SHC Embrava Phalanx is stronger if one needs an AoE Phalanx.

Quote:
Not saying its all together useless, but it doesn't have strong enough cures to be a healer.

Oh that's a LOL claim. Did you see all the "good for low maning ..." notes above? Just who do you think heals in those low man groups?

Quote:
Enfeebles seem to be the only thing a RDM has over other jobs.

Only the T2 Enfeebles and Dia III. Every other enfeeble is covered by any number of jobs.

In short, showing off your lack of knowledge and misconceptions is the bulk of your post. I think you could have a quite lucrative career working for Karl Rove.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-02-24 10:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
[
Quote:
Enfeebles seem to be the only thing a RDM has over other jobs.

Only the T2 Enfeebles and Dia III. Every other enfeeble is covered by any number of jobs.

RDM does get a JA to boost the effects of said enfeebs aswell as AF3+2 body which gives a solid potency-boost.
So, if you want proper enfeebs, you'd still bring a RDM.
The thing is just, it's not needed.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11