Mandau Twashtar Etc.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Mandau Twashtar etc.
Mandau Twashtar etc.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 09:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it is, it means I have to go less time without songs up. On average.
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
Server: Bahamut
user: Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-07-03 09:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Rapidus sax is really pretty.

Fine let's go with that

Bahamut.Meaikidou said: »
all i'm trying to say is that you cannot rely on one average taken at one time to define what is best. the next time you take the average, it could be diff.

You evidently have absolutely no idea what an average is. Please stop posting now and go google it, it's too early for my brain to want to explode and save itself the torture of this sort of thing.

there is an average for each period of time that you take the average. your average amount of bs today could be more than your average amount of bs tomorrow. i have observed that the average amount of damage with any dagger combo today WILL be different than the average taken with the same combo tomorrow... i don't know how to say it more clearly... stop trying to be superior at math and try to understand that until all melee hits equal the same fixed number, we can never have the ultimate choice, which is probably the reason why each hit isn't a fixed number... some people just have to learn to be open minded and not believe that they have the answer to everything.. geez
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-03 09:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Reinventing the meaning of average.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 09:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***what did I just read

Seriously

Seriously

Seriously

Seriously

What the *** did I just read?

av·er·age [av-er-ij, av-rij] noun, adjective, verb, av·er·aged, av·er·ag·ing.
noun
1. a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean: Her golf average is in the 90s. My average in science has gone from B to C this semester.
2. a typical amount, rate, degree, etc.; norm.
3. Statistics. arithmetic mean.
4. Mathematics. a quantity intermediate to a set of quantities.

adjective
6. of or pertaining to an average; estimated by average; forming an average: The average rainfall there is 180 inches.
7. typical; common; ordinary: The average secretary couldn't handle such a workload. His grades were nothing special, only average.

It doesn't change. Damage isn't affected by day unless you're using Athos Gloves on an active day for WSs, or for some dumbfucking reason change gear sets every day of the week. An average is an average.

Mathematics are absolute. Your whimsey and beliefs hold no water in the real world, stop trying to offer advice based off of them.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-03 09:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

all i'm trying to say is that you cannot rely on one average taken at one time to define what is best. the next time you take the average, it could be diff.
Yeah, that's why we don't "take" averages. The average is predictable because these things are based on mathematical formulae, and it's extremely trivial to plug numbers into formulae and figure out what the average damage will be.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 09:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Also hate to break it to you, but the factor that makes damage "random"? On same mobs etc.? That affects all weapons exactly the same. Most you'll get is a Ratio change which leads directly to a cRatio change which would result in a different pDIF when going from one attack value to another.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-03 09:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Calculating the average value of a random variable is hard.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 09:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely. Makes my brain melt just thinking about it. I sent the complex formula to NASA and their computer exploded.

How does a 1.0 ~ 1.05 range make a life?

P.S. How dem ephemeron sims comin
 Siren.Mcclane
Server: Siren
user: mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-07-03 09:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My head. It hurts.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-03 09:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to recode my ephemeron simulation because it doesn't "waste" tp properly if the normal attacks from the current round would result in reaching 100TP without an ephemeron proc, and the way I coded it doesn't allow me to account for that.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-03 10:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

To the anti-avarage guy:

If you take an avarage every day, and you add up the avarage of all the avarages, that's your proper avarage.
That's the one you should aim to increase.
Honestly the best way to explain it I think >_>
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

if averages changed based on the day
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-07-03 10:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

i guess i'm the only one that doesn't want to base my decision on an average of numbers taken at one point in time from a set of values that is random. i'm ok with that really, no need to hurt your head lol. i was jut trying to contribute to the OP by stating my choices. the way that i understand math has gotten me to a good place in life i hope you are in the same or better.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-07-03 10:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

There just isn't any way that rudra beats mercy if you are talking about the LV 99 version. Mercy gets a FOTY PERCENT boost at LV 99. That's fing huge. And it works on ALL hits. The offhand, triple attacks etc. Twash has a 4.25 ftp with tp bonus. Even with moonshade it has 4.5. The offhand gives it a grand total of 5.5 and +1 for each multi hit proc. Mercy is 3.0+1 but gamers the 40% boost so it is the equivalent of 4.2+1.4=5.6 and an additional 1.4 per multi hit tacked on. Both are a 60% mod. Mercy just starts out with a base multiplier of 5.6. Rudra with both moonshade and tp dagger is 5.5. Then each multi hit fir mercy adds 1.4. Rudra only 1.

99 Mercy wipes the floor with rudra unless you DONT 2x or 3x proc AND you use 300 tp. And, you dont have to offhand a weaker dot dagger like tp bonus to get that damage. You can 99mandau/99twash like me! /Flex!

phone posting so deal with the spelling/autocorrect crap :P

Edit. Twash is still hit ***in abbyssea because crut related atmas and dex atmas line up while str atmas and crit atmas do not so you biff evis and rudra with same atmas but choose mercy or evis atmas for mandau. But you need both a stck and unstacked ws so mandaus out
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You're saying that... you don't want to... use averages to find an average... which...

wtf does it even mean
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-07-03 10:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
To the anti-avarage guy:

If you take an avarage every day, and you add up the avarage of all the avarages, that's your proper avarage.
That's the one you should aim to increase.
Honestly the best way to explain it I think >_>

i like this answer... you really would have to do this to come to a good conclusion, not one average at one point in time. i'm not anti-averages.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-03 10:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I too don't believe in math. I think God decides which dagger is better.

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
FOTY PERCENT
*giggles*
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-03 10:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i guess i'm the only one that doesn't want to base my decision on an average of numbers taken at one point in time from a set of values that is random. i'm ok with that really, no need to hurt your head lol. i was jut trying to contribute to the OP by stating my choices. the way that i understand math has gotten me to a good place in life i hope you are in the same or better.

No one is basing things on averages based at one point in time, this is what you seem to not understand.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

b390wegfv304re

THE RANDOMIZE IS ALREADY AVERAGED TO FIND THE AVERAGE.

Range of 1.0 ~ 1.05 = 1.025 average. 1.025 is used in the calculation to find the damage average. There are no other averages to average the final average with to find another average. This average is calculated for all items being compared and the two averages are then put side by side. The one that's bigger usually wins! This is basic math that they teach in 5th~6th grade.

Balls. I said I wouldn't yell.
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-07-03 10:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Prothescar seems to be arguing the the average will not change, so 1 average is good enough... if he is adding his averages up to come to him true average, then i'm misunderstanding him, but it seems pretty clear that he believes that 1 average is enough because it will not vary.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Look, it's unbelievably clear that you have no idea what you're on about. You have absolutely 0 grasp on how the mathematics behind FFXI work, and you don't know what we're saying. The average is the average. It is the average. It is the literal definition of itself, you cannot break it down further. It is the average.

There is no further randomization.

There is the average.

t
h
e

a
v
e
r
a
g
e
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-03 10:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

he's not averaging anything, he's calculating the expected average as number of replicates tends to infinity based on the formula for damage.
[+]
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-07-03 10:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

you're so hooked on definitions, do you take the average from set of data and base your decision on that single pool or do you take multiple averages at different times (whenever you play the combo) and add that to the average?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This just in, 2 is indeed a higher number than 1.

you're so hooked on definitions, do you take the average from set of data and base your decision on that single pool or do you take multiple averages at different times (whenever you play the combo) and add that to the average?

I calculate my averages based on mathematical formulas. The same thing that's been said about 7 times in this thread so far.

There are no multiple averages. There is one. What is difficult to grasp about this concept. It is not hard. I taught my cat how to math FFXI.
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-07-03 10:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
he's not averaging anything, he's calculating the expected average as number of replicates tends to infinity based on the formula for damage.

though this seems clever, i think that i have made my position clear that i don't believe that you can really use math to distinguish between very close choices in gear because of the randomness that occurs in dmg. i think it's great that the community has found ways to try to solve the problems and i believe that they are close, but not so close as to eliminate comparable items from the game due to it being "mathematically" inferior to the other.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

But you can... because the randomziers are averaged... and put into the formula...

Do you seriously think that damage is completely random all the time moon phase day of the week direction you're facing and if you're fighting 3 mobs at a time sort of ***? It isn't.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-03 10:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

There are no multiple averages. There is one. What is difficult to grasp about this concept. It is not hard. I taught my cat how to math FFXI.
You're so full of it! Stop saying BS!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine, I taught the tree outside of my window to math FFXI
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-07-03 10:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

But you can... because the randomziers are averaged... and put into the formula...

Do you seriously think that damage is completely random all the time moon phase day of the week direction you're facing and if you're fighting 3 mobs at a time sort of ***? It isn't.

is there one thread or link where i can find all of these formulas? i am open to trying them out for myself. but yes right now, i do think that melee dmg is random, because it is not a fixed number everytime i hit the mob.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-03 10:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I just explained to you why that's the case at least twice.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/30626/the-beast-within-a-guide-to-blue-mage/

Scroll to the math section. Don't hurt yourself. I'm going to mow the lawn in 100 degree weather.