PC Users: Keyboard/Mouse Or Controller?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » PC Users: Keyboard/Mouse or Controller?
PC Users: Keyboard/Mouse or Controller?
First Page 2 3
 Fenrir.Dramanue
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2009-05-18 18:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing FFXI for the past 4 years using a PS2 controller attached through a USB peripheral (KiKy-joy if you must know). It's the one and only way I've learned to play since I started off playing on the PS2 then moved on to the PC. My girlfriend who normally plays Korean/JP online mmo's on her laptop is interested in playing ffxi with me, and so I'd like to know other people's general opinions on how to play the game most comfortably.

Should I get her a controller or will she be able to easily control the game using her keyboard and touchpad? Keep in mind, she is rather well versed in using her touchpad so much so that she can Photoshop with it with little difficulty (I was surprised she was able to mask rather proficiently with it). So yeah.. the question stands.. will she be able to play with keyboard/pad or should I just get her a controller?
 Cerberus.Maryanne
Server: Cerberus
user: Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-18 18:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I play with my keyboard and swear by it. I never use the mouse, though.
My boyfriend uses a controller and swears by it.
It's really up to her preference. Either one is based on personal style and comfort levels. Neither are hard to learn with. ^^
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-05-18 18:16:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I play FFXI on my PC for the most part even though I have it for my 360 as well. The simplicity of actions on the controller are nice but it takes some getting used to on my part. For simple tasks like crafting or farming it's great to use a controller for overall ease of use and forgoing correct posture (wireless ftw!).

However, I pretty much only use my keyboard and never touch my mouse. Having one of those macro G-15 or whatever keyboards would be nifty for various commands but alas I can't afford one.
 Hades.Hatekhaos
Server: Hades
user: hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-05-18 18:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I also have been using a PS2 controller with a usb adapter i got from Radio Shack. I still use the keyboard but it is so easier with the controller. I cant see playing on just the keyboard.
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-05-18 18:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing for a long time and only been on the keyboard/num pad and I have had no problems with it. I find getting to macros and features in game are so much easier than a control. Kind of like playing a PC game vs the console version. The short keys are so much more limited on a controller. So if she's already good on a keyboard, let her play on the keyboard. I couldn't imagine myself hitting macros without my Ctrl or Alt. <3

Edit: I even used a keyboard when I use the Xbox 360 version or the one time I was on a PS2.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-05-18 18:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I also prefer the keyboard much more over a controller. Been playing on a PC for 4 years and everytime I tried using a controller I found I was much slower/worse. Using the shortcuts and not having to open the menu for almost anything is nice, and I also like being able to just hit Ctrl/Alt and the number for whatever I need to use without needing to look down...don't really like scrolling to macros on the palette. I also get easily annoyed when a lot of people are typing to me or if I do need to type and I have to constantly put the controller down to use the keyboard. Keyboard rules!!!

Edit: Same thing as what Zekky just added.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-18 19:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
I play with my keyboard and swear by it. I never use the mouse, though.

Yay target stuff so much easier keyboard... what were the benefits of the mouse again?
 Sylph.Jax
Server: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-05-18 19:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I use both keyboard and mouse. Easy to get used to. I think it's that way with any controls; like I can't see myself using a controller.. And I can't get used to windower. /cry
But with mouse and controller you can target easily as Dasva said. :)
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-18 19:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard only, don't even use the mouse. ^^
 Bahamut.Citag
user:
By Bahamut.Citag 2009-05-18 19:27:59

I play on my laptop as well. I think the only reason I like it is because mine has the standard keyboard with the number pad built in. Ive been interested in trying out a controller, but I dont think that would be something I could ever get used to.
 Kujata.Houshisama
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-18 19:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jax said:
I use both keyboard and mouse. Easy to get used to. I think it's that way with any controls; like I can't see myself using a controller.. And I can't get used to windower. /cry

ive always used keyboard, much better than controller.
and ive never had troubles targeting,...
 Fairy.Dycro
Server: Fairy
user: Dycro
By Fairy.Dycro 2009-05-18 19:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used both, Keyboard (fck mouse!) provides better targeting except for alliances. easier macros too.

camera/movement is much better on controller though. as is menu selection

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-18 19:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jax said:

actually I misstyped lol I meant keyboard I cant stand trying to target with mouse and it failing all the time. especially when theres lots of stuff. f keys all the way baby
 Gilgamesh.Elphame
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Elphame
By Gilgamesh.Elphame 2009-05-18 19:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on PC with my Keyboard I also use my mouse for various things, mostly for running and camera angle I dont target with it if Im in multi mob fights of course I use /assist etc for those things or I F8 and search thru mobs easy enough, never had a problem with it, just couldnt get used to the keypad for movement :/, I also have 360 but havent had ffxi on it long still need to work out how to /heal with the buttons lol. Preferance is keyboard and mouse.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-18 19:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh i use mouse for one thing I cant do with keyboard... rotating camera while dead lol
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-18 19:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Oh i use mouse for one thing I cant do with keyboard... rotating camera while dead lol

Shift + Direction button ftw!
 Asura.Ktjrn
user:
By Asura.Ktjrn 2009-05-18 20:01:51

i use the mouse.. it's a litle bit more easier for me to use. i dont think you can rotate good on a controller.. with the mouse it's a little bit more free, less rugged feeling
 Diabolos.Cassi
Server: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Cassi 2009-05-18 20:07:00

I use keyboard. Run with numpad, although I use mouse to pan the screen around.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-18 20:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
Dasva said:

Shift + Direction button ftw!

bah to complicated for this one thing mouse is easier
 Diabolos.Chibixzero
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Chibixzero 2009-05-18 20:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

use PS2 Controller since I started playing super easy and you can customize your buttons
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-05-18 21:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard onry all teh way.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-05-18 21:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesnt this thread exist already? I use controller myself, i came straight from a console player. Xbox controller is windows compatible. ^^
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-05-18 21:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't stand the way a keyboard is, mainly because I have minuscule hands, and hurts to have my hands spread out so much. I used a PS2 controller via USB connection up until a little bit ago when it malfunctioned. I find controllers so much easier for macros, simply because I don't hit alt-# or ctrl-#, I scroll through. Controllers seem to respond faster to scrolling than using arrow keys to select macros. Scroll and <stnpc> or <stpc> = <3 You can also run and type at the same time~
Currently, though, I am using keyboard. Numpad only, though! I haven't been able to understand how people can move with letters, just seems too messy for me. Mouse is too stiff for me to even bother with.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-05-18 21:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
hurts to have my hands spread out so much.

That's what she said.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-05-18 21:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Celene said:

That's what she said.

That's why you use your mouth.
[+]
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-05-18 21:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Xbox controller ftw. i dont play with it often (currently lent out) but i much prefer it to keyboard.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-18 21:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
Enternius said:
Celene said:

That's what she said.

That's why you use your mouth.

OH SNAP!!! But really my hands are small and its not that bad though I tend to only use certain things cause of it. like only the left alt and only the right ctrl. and usually instead of hitting numbers for maccros I just scroll thru and hit enter(another reason I dont like windower maccros) plus lets me use multiple sets at same time easier.
 Ragnarok.Azura
Server: Ragnarok
user: azura84
By Ragnarok.Azura 2009-05-18 22:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ok shouldnt this be a poll instead of a discussion? ok here goes! i use...... ....... ....... ....... ....... keyboard, bet you never saw that coming <_<. I grew up playing console, Duck Hunt >> Super Mario >> Mario Cart (SNES) >> Legends of Zelda: Ocarina of Time >> Goldeneye (JamesBond) >> FFVII >> FFX but after that I fell in love with strategy games. Starcraft and Age of Empires were my sin of PC games, i've only grown more and more attracted with the customizations in PCs.

This made me a terrible console gamer though. I can still pickup Goldeneye and play like it's nobodyz buziness but mine, but i just can't do dual-joysticks anymore. I am the ultmate free-frag of Halo. So with that in mind, perhaps she would be better off with keyboard+mouse. Though you will definately want to get her a 9key pad. Playing in compact mode is a sin..... dont allow her to or she will hate you and your mother.

Celene said:
I have minuscule hands, and hurts to have my hands spread out so much.

This is a very good point, if she has smaller hands she may not want to do the CTRL+7 stretch, and perhaps a controler+keyboard combo would be a good idea.
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-05-18 22:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i prefer keyboard...been a computer user for years. With a well trained hand, actions on a keyboard can be done lightning fast.
First Page 2 3