PC Users: Keyboard/Mouse Or Controller?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » PC Users: Keyboard/Mouse or Controller?
PC Users: Keyboard/Mouse or Controller?
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-18 22:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr lolmouse
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-05-18 22:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably just let her use the keyboard instead of trying to teach the controller- don't really need the touchpad(mouse) for anything anyway.

I've always played games in the past were WASD were the movement controls so thankfully FF let me change to 'compact' style.. I probably would have not played if not lol.. I do use the mouse for somethings but nothing major.. more force-of-habit things really.
 Valefor.Neokenesis
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Neokenesis 2009-05-18 22:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Been playing FFXI on PC for 3yrs+. At first i started off with keyboard + mouse but i wanted to sit bk and play comfortably so i bought the offical FFXI logitec USB controller. I used that for quite sometime til the wires got destroyed ; ; so i decided to spend abit more on a wireless controller, and have been using it ever since.
Idk with xbox and PS2 but PC controller config. is 100% customizable.

Also my wife plays FFXI (JP pol) on a Laptop she also uses a controller. I think that typing jp/english on JP pol ( alot of extra enter keys to validate words.. orz) and movement/action can be abit tricky.
Server: Hades
user: Silas1222
By Hades.Boondocksaints 2009-05-18 22:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

First off idk my mule is my name >.< so lemme correct this

By Hades. Silas

Ive always used PC- and YES THE MOUSE IS USEFUL! especially if ure use to the compact keys and are set of default, the center button brings up the menu so u can change it back ^^

so in my book Keyboard 1, Controller 1, Mouse lol...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-05-18 22:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Summed up: If you have the USB spaces for it, and can afford it, use a controller and a keyboard. I do the same with my 360, and did with my PC for a very short stint.

Controller is A LOT better for macros, doing things like manual searches by menu (well...ANYTHING with a menu tbh), movement, camera turning.

Keyboard is better for targetting things (controllers lack an F8), and by way far typing. Also, you cannot zoom in or out with a contreoller. Trust me, it might overwhelm her at first, but I highly suggest both. She'd likely be more comfy moving with a controller to begin with, anyway.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-18 23:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Keyboard only/ unless I want to turn the camera while I'm dead, then have to use mouse.

Ya, pretty much the only time I use the mouse, too. I'm much more efficient with the regular keyboard controls for everything else.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-18 23:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a controller man. Use a PC, but also use a controller, since I find that to be the easiest.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-18 23:14:37
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
I'm a controller man. Use a PC, but also use a controller, since I find that to be the easiest.

same goes for me xD the controller is just a perfect fit for me
 Seraph.Zeosix
Server: Seraph
user: zonka
By Seraph.Zeosix 2009-05-18 23:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I use the keyboard on compact mode only when on PC. When on 360, I use controller and keyboard on compact.

I tried using the 360 keypad... and it is too hard to reply, since i like using the Ctrl+R reply.

I ditched it and used an USB wireless keyboard.

I never played with the mouse.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-05-18 23:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Keyboard only/ unless I want to turn the camera while I'm dead, then have to use mouse.

Hold down Shift while using the arrow keys.
 Asura.Kyoroku
By Asura.Kyoroku 2009-05-19 00:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard for when I want to be fast on reacting to stuff (cures, status removal etc, thanks Spellcast aliases!), controller for general purposes - I generally use controller for when I'm on stun duty on RDM/DRK, mainly because I can't get used to scrolling through the spell menu on keyboard.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-05-19 00:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Controller is far better. I've experiances in both. Used both for a long period of time. Used to be 100% keyboard user at first. Didn't care for the controller, right until the moment I got one for christmas sometime ago for another game I had played a little bit on PC/online. Need for speed: Most Wanted, Black edition. Great game lol. Tried it out on FFXI just for kicks. Stuck with it. Muuuch more relaxing and the macros work soo much better and much quicker.
Main thing is macros <3 Allows me to solo much more efficiantly and become a much better and quicker reacting player.
 Midgardsormr.Crisco
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Crisco
By Midgardsormr.Crisco 2009-05-19 07:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard+Controller hybrid; I couldn't do it any other way. For 99% of all my macros I use keyboard, and for movement and player-selection for spells I use controller. (example: alt+7 for cure3 stpc macro, up/down+x on controller to cast cure3 on said person)
 Kujata.Houshisama
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-19 07:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Dycro said:
I've used both, Keyboard (fck mouse!) provides better targeting except for alliances. easier macros too.

camera/movement is much better on controller though. as is menu selection

ive heard a lot of people say they cant target an alliance with keyboard..... but you can. control or alt + F keys lets you target 1-6 of that alliance party just as your own party. not too difficult.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-05-19 07:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard for 99% of the time.

Mouse for those omfgwhywontyoutabtotherightnpc moments!
 Ramuh.Tipiro
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Tipiro 2009-05-19 07:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Oh i use mouse for one thing I cant do with keyboard... rotating camera while dead lol

This.

I use a keyboard with the compact setting in config menu. As for a controller, I'm not sure what it can do that a keyboard can't also do just as easily.
 Ragnarok.Jammie
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jammie
By Ragnarok.Jammie 2009-05-19 08:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I use keyboard on compact + controller.
For any activity longer than a few minutes, I like to sit back and use a controller to get about.
I like targeting with the digital pad tho, using <stpc> and <stnpc>, I haven't been able to find a similar quick way on keyboard.
 Asura.Kyoroku
By Asura.Kyoroku 2009-05-19 08:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Jammie said:
I use keyboard on compact + controller.
For any activity longer than a few minutes, I like to sit back and use a controller to get about.
I like targeting with the digital pad tho, using <stpc> and <stnpc>, I haven't been able to find a similar quick way on keyboard.

You could always give Spellcast a try if you're playing on Windower. The way I have my aliases set up I can type shortcut commands to cast spells on people. For example, let's say I wanted to cast a Paralyna on Bobadabob:

//pa Bob

is all I need to type for Spellcast to cast Paralyna on Bobadabob - it's smart enough to autofill in the rest of the name. I used to Cure / Buff / Status removal much like the way you do now and still do when I'm lazy and use the controller (albeit with <stal> and <stpt> instead now) and the alias route is just so much faster if you're a fast typist.

Obviously this doesn't work as well when you need to sleep / debuff / attack stuff that comes in as a zerg (aka Dynamis), but it's amazing as a WHM for cures / status removals or when you're just dealing with minor amounts of NPCs.
[+]
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-19 08:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

[offtopic]
Kyoroku said:

You could always give Spellcast a try if you're playing on Windower. The way I have my aliases set up I can type shortcut commands to cast spells on people. For example, let's say I wanted to cast a Paralyna on Bobadabob:

//pa Bob

is all I need to type for Spellcast to cast Paralyna on Bobadabob - it's smart enough to autofill in the rest of the name. I used to Cure / Buff / Status removal much like the way you do now and still do when I'm lazy and use the controller (albeit with <stal> and <stpt> instead now) and the alias route is just so much faster if you're a fast typist.

Didn't know you could do that with Spellcast. Do I m have to ake a .txt for Paralyna for that to work?
[/offtopic]

Controller all the way. Started out on PS2, moved to 360 then to PC. So I am way faster with a control then with a keyboard. The only issue I have with my controller on PC is, since I use xpadder there is a delay pulling up the macros with the trigger buttons, and I have to hold them down for it to work.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Server: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-05-19 08:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard onry

I haven't yet tried to hook my 360 controller up to my pc, I know I have the USB slots for it, just need to find the bugger.
 Asura.Kyoroku
By Asura.Kyoroku 2009-05-19 08:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
[offtopic]
Kyoroku said:

//pa Bob

Didn't know you could do that with Spellcast. Do I m have to ake a .txt for Paralyna for that to work?
[/offtopic]

Controller all the way. Started out on PS2, moved to 360 then to PC. So I am way faster with a control then with a keyboard. The only issue I have with my controller on PC is, since I use xpadder there is a delay pulling up the macros with the trigger buttons, and I have to hold them down for it to work.

Nope, you just need to stick in a line such as:

.alias shortcut /ma(ja if job ability) "spell"

So if you wanted to shortcut the spell "Raise III" to "r3" you would do this:

.alias r3 /ma "Raise III"

Put this in your ini.txt file which is located in your Windower\Scripts directory.

But yeah, it is offtopic, sorry for the derail.
[+]
 Hades.Dizzmal
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-05-19 08:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Logitec G15> all.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-19 08:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Dizzmal said:
Logitec G15> all.

That looks way too complicated for me.
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
Server: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-05-19 08:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much Keyboard only.
 Hades.Dizzmal
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-05-19 08:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
Dizzmal said:
Logitec G15> all.

That looks way too complicated for me.

na it's so easy to just hit 1 key to do everything. I couldn't go back to a normal keyboard.
 Quetzalcoatl.Darsha
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: StanDarsh
By Quetzalcoatl.Darsha 2009-05-22 14:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

By any chance - those of you who use a 360 controller on the PC version of FF - do you still remember how you got yours working? I just picked one up today and I'm having a difficult time getting it to work. Any help would be appreciated.
 Leviathan.Hitoma
Server: Leviathan
user: hitoma
By Leviathan.Hitoma 2009-05-22 14:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyoroku said:
Put this in your ini.txt file which is located in your Windower\Scripts directory.

the init.txt file is a bad place for aliases and keybinds. too many have been known to cause problems when starting the game. best practice is to make a seperate .txt file and add to the end of init.txt

exec myfile.txt

where myfile.txt is the file you made for aliases and keybinds.

on another note if you arent already using aliases i'd hold off on it for a bit. V4 preview builds are available and the scripting for such things has changed quite a bit. no sense getting started learning the old way when its getting replaced quite possibly soon.
 Alexander.Zhul
Server: Alexander
user: Zhul
By Alexander.Zhul 2009-05-22 14:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on both pc and 360. FFXI being the only game that I play on pc, I like to use a wired xbox 360 controller.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-05-22 14:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard is ftw for WHM