Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 793 794 795 ... 836 837 838
By zithro 2023-06-04 05:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Question about using skeleton keys as thf: Do you have to be level 99 to use them in Odyssey? I went in on my mule, level 88, and nothing happened when I used one. Thanks for your help!
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-04 09:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep trading, its not 100% success rate.
 Asura.Ramsy
Server: Asura
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2023-06-04 11:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Just started playing again. What are the best ways to get master levels including jobs like blm? Is it like a basic pt setup from cp pts?
By Dodik 2023-06-04 12:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic burst setups work well on Apex mobs, see the Apex mob section on bg-wiki.

Grab Kupofried for XP/CP bonus.
 Bismarck.Radec
Server: Bismarck
user: Radec
By Bismarck.Radec 2023-06-06 10:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Radec said: »
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
No... I'm sure books would work, but I don't actually need more enhancing magic on WHM and I prefer to see if there's some other way to solve the problem.

I'm having the same issue with RDM enhancing - recently hit ML46, and haven't recieved a skillup through all of 45. Base skill is 448, menu shows 500 after gifts/merits. I should be able to reach 502 at 46.

Haven't tried any skillup+ gear, just normal casting on self/others as normally would cap in a day or two up until now.

Edit, skillup books did work, now 449.2/501.2. I'll check back if it goes up naturally at all in the next few days.

4 months later - still no native enhancing skillups. I made a point at ML49 to go into Gaol w/ 2 characters and spam buffs on MM45 trusts, no dice. Looks like it's only books for enhancing at ML45+
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-06-06 11:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
No... I'm sure books would work, but I don't actually need more enhancing magic on WHM and I prefer to see if there's some other way to solve the problem.

I'm having the same issue with RDM enhancing - recently hit ML46, and haven't recieved a skillup through all of 45. Base skill is 448, menu shows 500 after gifts/merits. I should be able to reach 502 at 46.

Haven't tried any skillup+ gear, just normal casting on self/others as normally would cap in a day or two up until now.

Edit, skillup books did work, now 449.2/501.2. I'll check back if it goes up naturally at all in the next few days.

4 months later - still no native enhancing skillups. I made a point at ML49 to go into Gaol w/ 2 characters and spam buffs on MM45 trusts, no dice. Looks like it's only books for enhancing at ML45+
Hmmm, has anyone submitted a bug report on this?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-06-06 13:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

With TVR rings now existing...

Assuming a player took what seems to be the most popular choice, (Cornelia's Ring, WSD+10), and has access to the other typical WS ring options (particularly Epaminondas's and Sroda), what use cases remain for Regal Ring?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-06-06 13:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Multihit and/or with trusts and/or dex mods

Asuran fists Shijin Stringing pummel Ku Shun (Kamu?) Exenterator PK (Prime Mercy Stroke, Onslaught, Metsu, whatever their new names are)
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-06-06 13:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
With TVR rings now existing...

Assuming a player took what seems to be the most popular choice, (Cornelia's Ring, WSD+10), and has access to the other typical WS ring options (particularly Epaminondas's and Sroda), what use cases remain for Regal Ring?
Str and dex mod WS seem a clear weak point for Sroda. The 20 atk+ on regal is also relevant at uncapped atk or if you aren't getting the trust bonus on Sroda.

Epaminondas is also not going to be a good option on multi-hit ws that aren't front heavy fTP wise. So you'd go into regal vs Sroda again there.

I can't comment in great detail on Epaminondas's, cause I dismissed it as excessively expensive way back when so I rarely factored it into my WS considerations.

Overall I think there's still plenty of potential uses for Regal ring.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-06-06 15:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Epaminondas is also not going to be a good option on multi-hit ws that aren't front heavy fTP wise. So you'd go into regal vs Sroda again there.

A lot of the jobs that use those WS have other better options like Gere and Niqmaddu though. Or if you really focused on jobs that made use of a lot of those WS where Regal was good pre-TVR rewards, you might be more inclined to pick Ephramd's Ring as a Regal upgrade. To tackle some of the ones Eiryl mentioned, even before TVR Regal wasn't the recommended choice for some of these WS:
- Gere/Niqmaddu for Shijin
- Gere/Sroda for Kamu, Stringing Pummel, Mercy Stroke

Regal is a maybe for some other WS. For example, going by Izanami's posted all jobs damage simulator results, Regal is listed for some lower buff sets but replaced with Sroda if getting "high buffs".
- Stringing Pummel or WAR Decimation: Niq/Regal for lower buffs, Niq/Sroda for high buffs.
- Blade: Ku and Exenterator: Gere/Regal for lower buffs, Gere/Sroda for high buffs

Some other WS may have used Regal pre-TVR, but would replace that with Cornelia's now that it exists. For example, Blade: Hi, Onslaught, Quietus.

Regal does still look best for a small handful of WS that have practical use, like Blade: Shun or Pyrrhic Kleos. Then for some others like Asuran or Shark Bite, Regal may still be in a BiS set, but that's somewhat irrelevant since those WS are not really used much.

IDK, just feels to me like Regal has become a lot more niche now, between TVR rings + Epam's price continually dropping (certainly helped any time there's a Trove campaign, still seeing 20-30M prices now on several servers). There are certainly still some use cases for BiS sets, but not too many.

Maybe some of the prime WS will take advantage of Regal though, fair point there (but again, potentially worth considering Ephramad's too).
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-06-06 20:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Can Sagasinger be used for Ambu weapons?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-06-06 20:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yes though I probably wouldn't
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2023-06-06 20:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
yes though I probably wouldn't
Why not? :o
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-06-06 20:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

it's one of the most pain in the *** ones to replace if you ever wanted it for lockstyle. some very niche application for it too i'd argue, has a really high terror resist rate

do what you want though, if you dont care about ever using it for anything it's the same as using any other pulse
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2023-06-06 21:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

it's one of the most pain in the *** ones to replace if you ever wanted it for lockstyle. some very niche application for it too i'd argue, has a really high terror resist rate

do what you want though, if you dont care about ever using it for anything it's the same as using any other pulse

Aight, if I don't get a Delphinus in 143 voidstones, then I'll steal Vyre's Aytanri or something.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-06-06 23:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

it's one of the most pain in the *** ones to replace if you ever wanted it for lockstyle.

One of the very best lockstyle weapons in the game, too. Yeah I kept Sagasinger on both of my characters rather than turn it into an Ambu weapon. Eventually got all the Ambu weapons anyway, and was glad I didn't give up the cool looking sword.

Maybe worth noting that it is on the list of weapons you can get from the Kupon W-Pulse received from Deeds of Heroism (monthly RoE).

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Seun 2023-06-08 13:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

kuroki said: »
if you equip +enmity gear, do you generate additional enmity on a missed attack/ability?

Yes, but I think you have to at least be on the mob's enmity list if you are using an ability that doesn't normally get aggro.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-06-08 13:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

kuroki said: »
if you equip +enmity gear, do you generate additional enmity on a missed attack/ability?
Missed melee hits generate no enmity, so normally, no.

The exception however is when pulling a non-aggro'd mob. The first action taken on a non-aggroed mob gets a +200 CE pull bonus. So a missed range attack can generate that 200 enmity in this specific case. This bonus CE can be modified with enmity+. So there is a use case for swapping enmity+ on pulling actions. If you want to have hate on the puller, that is.

Non-damaging Spells and JA generate enmity whether or not the effects land. So casting flash on a mob will generate the same enmity whether the flash effect lands or not.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2023-06-09 10:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a dummy's guide to tanking in current XI? What's the 4-1-1 on holding hate well these days?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-09 10:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Let the idiot DD's who spike hate via JA's and WS spam without wearing hybrid sets when they have hate die.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-09 10:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Is there a dummy's guide to tanking in current XI? What's the 4-1-1 on holding hate well these days?

In what content?
 Cerberus.Powerful
Server: Cerberus
user: Powerful
By Cerberus.Powerful 2023-06-09 12:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, so this has been on and off my mind for years, and idk if the person who said it was right, but ever since that day I read what they said, I've been trying to do the math for it and I just want to know if this is right.

Someone said Brutal Earring has 5% chance to activate Double Attack -- so in theory, your damage is doubled by 5%.

So if I hit a punching bag for 10 mins. without Brutal Earring and did 10,000 damage, does that mean if I wore a Brutal Earring I would have done 11,000 damage?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-06-09 12:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

10,000 1 damage attacks. 5% of the time an addition 1 damage. 10,500
 Cerberus.Powerful
By Cerberus.Powerful 2023-06-09 12:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

What about 27,481 damage? Does that mean it would be 28,855?
By Foxfire 2023-06-09 12:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Your damage isn't "doubled" so much as you do a second swing, and given the nature of damage calculation it's not a precise increase in the form of 1.05x. Your first swing might be 205 but the second might be 197.

That said, establish an average, look at the 1.05x of that average and the damage should be around there, yes.
 Cerberus.Powerful
By Cerberus.Powerful 2023-06-09 12:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So all you really need to do is just multiply the total damage (without DA) by the proc rate? I think the wording of "Double you damage by X%" made me over think it. I was thinking the original value had to be doubled, then get 5% from that number. Thanks guys
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2023-06-11 09:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the Japanese have idiomatic names for things like TP sets and WS sets?
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2023-06-11 15:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I second Tikal's question about whether JPs got shorthand for gearsets.

Also asking though, what's the next best pulse ambu weapons to make after Naegling?
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-06-11 15:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
I second Tikal's question about whether JPs got shorthand for gearsets.

Also asking though, what's the next best pulse ambu weapons to make after Naegling?

The most common ones seen are Shining One (polearm that's very versatile for multiple jobs), Maxentius (club), Tauret(dagger),and Lycurgos (great axe, again best use for non-WARs to have a solid option when wanted, and strangely one of the best non-RMEA weapons for DRK)
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 793 794 795 ... 836 837 838