[Dev] RDM & Hastega (lol...)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » [Dev] RDM & Hastega (lol...)
[Dev] RDM & Hastega (lol...)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Sylph.Annex
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Annex
By Sylph.Annex 2011-12-01 11:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I also know a qutie a few BLUs (everyone in my ls levels BLU for some reason, even me but still at 70) and they do often give haste AoE with Diffusion which is better than haste itself or so I am told. So now you have SMN, and BLU being able to hastega. Giving rdm hastega would not be broken imo.

Edit: and BRD
 Asura.Mekaider
Server: Asura
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-12-01 11:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
At risk of posting something HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, I'm going to summarize what I feel are the problems with RDM at the moment and how to fix them:

What I would propose is this:

Stop making RDM a jack of all trades.
Two stances. For lack of better terms, Melee Support and Mage Support. Melee Support can increase the effectiveness of buffs applied in tandem with damage and other effects. Mage Support can increase the effectiveness of debuffs applied, in tandem with damage and other effects.

This is the best idea I've seen suggested for RDM in ... forever. Kudos, Raen.

So sick and tired of the standard RDM rally-cry of "give us Cure V!!". That ain't happening. Get over it.

But Raen's suggestion here is solid. S-E already implemented similar features with Hasso/Seigan, Afflatus Solace/Afflatus Misery, Light Arts/Dark Arts ... and in some ways, choosing a DRG subjob or an automaton type on PUP.

Here's another idea for "Attack Mode":
RDM gets a boost to STR/Attack/MAB and increased Fast Cast and/or Potency of Enfeebling and Elemental Magic. Penalties: Slow and Addle effect when casting Healing/Enhancing Magic, unable to use Convert.

For "Mage Mode":
RDM gets a major boost to Fast Cast and/or Potency of Healing/Enhancing Magic, and gains access to a JA that enables the next cast to be a party-wide buff (Refresh, Haste, Gain, Temper, etc.) and give it a 5:00(?) cool-down timer.
Penalties: Slow and Addle effect when casting Elemental/Enfeebling Magic, unable to WeaponSkill.

THIS^ Omg this so much.
By Quiznor 2011-12-01 11:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Annex said: »
I also know a qutie a few BLUs (everyone in my ls levels BLU for some reason, even me but still at 70) and they do often give haste AoE with Diffusion which is better than haste itself or so I am told. So now you have SMN, and BLU being able to hastega. Giving rdm hastega would not be broken imo.

Thing about Diffusion/Animating Wail is yes,its 15% like normal haste and lasts longer than normal haste (lasts 5 mins) but you need to use merits to unlock Diffusion,and even with 5/5 capped merits you're looking at a 10 minute cooldown timer on it so it cant be fulltimed
 Bahamut.Zangada
Server: Bahamut
user: zangada
By Bahamut.Zangada 2011-12-01 11:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
It's known the ninja always tries last so that he doesn't have to waste tools for nothing(but time can be wasted).

Once i capped my skills i did that, if all im gonna do is sit back and proc im gonna waste as little gil as possible. And rdm hasent gotten anything lately to make them stand out so untill we do ill keep complaining about cure 5.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-12-01 11:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Diffusion is a waste of merits.
[+]
 Asura.Mekaider
Server: Asura
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-12-01 11:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Upbeat said: »
Fenrir.Kendraian said: »
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Oh, you mean grand ideas like this one?

Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said: »
Rdm doesn't need ***like that, it needs entirely job specific spells that make it a *** master of what it was supposed to do, Enhance and Enfeeble.

SE really might as well delete RDM at this point. I have 5/5 AF3+2 and a good quantity of AF2+1, AF1+1, etc. for it. Back in the day I gave a ***about it and did almost everything on RDM. It was my first 75, etc. Now they could delete it and I wouldn't care at all. I have used it twice since the 95 cap and four times since the 80 cap. Three of those times were to XP it another five levels, and the last time was when I butchered my tier 2 merits so I could proc things in Voidwatch.

They need to change it to make it useful in some context. I have proposed an easy way that they can make it useful in some context, and you have proposed the above.

Basically, the reason I originally appeared ambivalent about RDM as a lolmelee mage is because this forum's RDM melee discussions are generally similar to Alla's. They are full of poorly written posts by people who do not understand how the game works. I just wanted to avoid a stupid debate filled with half-notions, but you caught me anyway. Congrats.

Soo sad back in the day RDM was one of the top classes :'(
It still is pretty top tier, in terms of soloing it's still the top class in the game imo.Just no one is posting RDM solo videos on youtube anymore. They're all on nicovideo.jp

The lack of HD is killing me.
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-12-01 11:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said: »
I agree with that decision.Any RDM before abyssea could keep a haste + refresh cycle WHILE enfeebling and support curing/-nas.I personally did it countless times and it's what I liked about RDM, always busy, never getting bored.

I personally don't understand that urge for people to have everything AoE, the new abyssea RDMs deffinitly need some 2005 training.

The funny thing about bandwagons, there's virtually always a counter-bandwagon bandwagon.

Your opinion on the matter, and moreover, your memories of the past are dramatically skewed by the picture the anti-Abyssea bandwagon has painted. Whether you realize it or not (and if you do, shame on you), you're attempting to re-mobilize the refutable, fallacious assertion that speedy progress hinders personal development in this game. The people who can not maintain spell cycles right now would not have been able to maintain them back then. You don't learn attentiveness and responsibility for personal duties sitting in Labyrinth of Onzozo (regardless of how many will tell you that real mages had to experience Torama to know what's what). Attentiveness and responsibility are learned before playing this game, at which point they either carry into your gameplay or they don't.
[+]
 Sylph.Annex
user: Annex
By Sylph.Annex 2011-12-01 12:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Is that why every BLU I see on my my server has it? Hmmm....
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-12-01 12:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SE don't care about the player's experience. It is about following their design relentlessly.

Buffing should never be a significant component of the playtime of a job, else it becomes extremely tedious.

Pretty much this. I'd like to hear a logical argument against Hastega (or Accession -> Haste), if one exists.

And I'm interested in this too, if anyone would care to chime in.

Though to be fair, I don't agree with Raen's reasoning. Spending most of your time buffing others is not a hindrance on a job. If you attribute that kind of play to tedium, you shouldn't be playing it. The problem is when the majority of what you're doing isn't a specialization. Most of what a bard does is buff people (even if the career ones enjoy making a pseudo-case about how its important that they overlap healers' cures, and aid in status removal that isn't typically necessary), and that's just dandy, because bard is good at buffing people. This isn't the case with red mage. Everything they have to offer can be found elsewhere, at which point their primary duty becomes an irrelevancy. If, as a RDM, you had to spend every waking second reapplying powerful, debilitating enfeebles on your targets that had extraordinary effects on HNM dynamics, nobody would care. You'd still be experiencing tedium, but you'd actually have a purpose.
 Phoenix.Cathaldus
Server: Phoenix
user: DanielH
By Phoenix.Cathaldus 2011-12-01 12:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Azagthothe said: »
I still suspect that when they do the merit overhaul that they might make the existing Group 2 meritable spells available merit free and replace them with new meritable spells like Addle II, Dia IV, etc. Who knows really at this point.

A straight potency boost would make more sense. Would save then ever changing the merits again if they changed spell levels, or even the level cap.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-12-01 12:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Annex said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Is that why every BLU I see on my my server has it? Hmmm....

Every BLU on your server is gimp as ***. Tell them to suck less.

If they're that hard up for a JA that they can only use every 10 minutes instead of something that will benefit you three times or more in the same expanse of time, they should be meriting Convergence since that's actually somewhat useful.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kendraian
user: Boondo15
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-12-01 14:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
SE don't care about the player's experience. It is about following their design relentlessly.

Buffing should never be a significant component of the playtime of a job, else it becomes extremely tedious.

Pretty much this. I'd like to hear a logical argument against Hastega (or Accession -> Haste), if one exists.

And I'm interested in this too, if anyone would care to chime in.

Though to be fair, I don't agree with Raen's reasoning. Spending most of your time buffing others is not a hindrance on a job. If you attribute that kind of play to tedium, you shouldn't be playing it. The problem is when the majority of what you're doing isn't a specialization. Most of what a bard does is buff people (even if the career ones enjoy making a pseudo-case about how its important that they overlap healers' cures, and aid in status removal that isn't typically necessary), and that's just dandy, because bard is good at buffing people. This isn't the case with red mage. Everything they have to offer can be found elsewhere, at which point their primary duty becomes an irrelevancy. If, as a RDM, you had to spend every waking second reapplying powerful, debilitating enfeebles on your targets that had extraordinary effects on HNM dynamics, nobody would care. You'd still be experiencing tedium, but you'd actually have a purpose.

To be honest FFXI is created as players play. RDM role is given by the community to be refresh/haste *** just like COR and BRD. RDM is facing a tough time because of its versatility. With versatility come less mastery that being said RDM has been categorized incorrectly for years. RDM by name is a mage but by design is a Magical Fighter(Magic Swordsman u give it your name) similar to PLD and DRK. Damage dealers are not affiliated with magic and Mages are not affiliated with weapons (this explains why WHM has a lower rating that PLD in club but has its Job Specific Hexastrike.) This may be a hard concept to grasp but RDM if placed among BLM SCH and WHM as mages would defeat BLM SCH and WHM in a Physical Fight.

Honestly Hastega is an OP ability and if anything would never be given to RDM closest to getting it would be SCH but seeing as they dnt learn it that rules out any hope for Hastega(Time mage can i have it?) Now SE screwed up by giving monsters the ability to Hastega but really its only appropriate for Garuda to have. Simple solution to all the bickering among Hastega is accepting the fact that we already have it with SMN and BLU.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2011-12-01 14:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with that decision.Any RDM before abyssea could keep a haste + refresh cycle WHILE enfeebling and support curing/-nas.I personally did it countless times and it's what I liked about RDM, always busy, never getting bored.

I personally don't understand that urge for people to have everything AoE, the new abyssea RDMs deffinitly need some 2005 training.

The funny thing about bandwagons, there's virtually always a counter-bandwagon bandwagon.

Your opinion on the matter, and moreover, your memories of the past are dramatically skewed by the picture the anti-Abyssea bandwagon has painted. Whether you realize it or not (and if you do, shame on you), you're attempting to re-mobilize the refutable, fallacious assertion that speedy progress hinders personal development in this game. The people who can not maintain spell cycles right now would not have been able to maintain them back then. You don't learn attentiveness and responsibility for personal duties sitting in Labyrinth of Onzozo (regardless of how many will tell you that real mages had to experience Torama to know what's what). Attentiveness and responsibility are learned before playing this game, at which point they either carry into your gameplay or they don't.

*** OSE! Wait... not your actual point there but I had to throw that one out.
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-12-01 14:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry my english isn't exacly perfect.I meant that some of the RDM complaining about Cycles today, would haved learn alot from the dynamis back then.I personally never exp'd in Onzozo and I don't carry that mentality.

Sorry if my post looked more offensive then it really meant, I do have problems with being understood.
 Phoenix.Cathaldus
Server: Phoenix
user: DanielH
By Phoenix.Cathaldus 2011-12-01 14:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry my english isn't exacly perfect.I meant that some of the RDM complaining about Cycles today, would haved learn alot from the dynamis back then.I personally never exp'd in Onzozo and I don't carry that mentality.

Sorry if my post looked more offensive then it really meant, I do have problems with being understood.

Doing Haste/Refresh Cycles doesn't mean you like them. I did them at ~75... I didn't like them, and still don't.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-12-01 14:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Cathaldus said: »

Doing Haste/Refresh Cycles doesn't mean you like them. I did them at ~75... I didn't like them, and still don't.
If you were only casting haste and refresh, then I understand why you didn't liked it.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-12-01 15:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally always saw RDMs as the main key in a event.A fail RDM would usually end as a fail run.

Keeping everyone hasted or refreshed.Helping the WHM with some Cure and -nas.

And then you would be the one paralyzing/slow.Silencing the pet (wich could get a clusterfuck fast if it wasn't done), Binding/gravity the mnks while you or the blm tried to trigger 2hr.Helping with sleeps.

It was a primary Job to have in a endgame event back at 75.I used to always have something to do,Whm, blm and brd can be so boring at times now.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
Server: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2011-12-01 15:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

In the time it use to take you to level from 1 to 75 you were able to learn your job and play it well.

in the 2 days it takes ppl to level from 1 to 95 now. they cannot learn their job correctly and wont have the skill needed to keep most veterans happy.
[+]
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-12-01 15:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Phenomena said: »

In the time it use to take you to level from 1 to 75 you were able to learn your job and play it well.

in the 2 days it takes ppl to level from 1 to 95 now. they cannot learn their job correctly and wont have the skill needed to keep most veterans happy.
Minjo had it right, you can learn a how to play a job well as long as you have common sense and effort.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-01 15:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally always saw RDMs as the main key in a event.A fail RDM would usually end as a fail run.

And then you would be the one paralyzing/slow.Silencing the pet (wich could get a clusterfuck fast if it wasn't done), Binding/gravity the mnks while you or the blm tried to trigger 2hr.Helping with sleeps.

It was a primary Job to have in a endgame event back at 75.I used to always have something to do,Whm, blm and brd can be so boring at times now.
Rdm's primary role in any event was to abbreviate the battle. Geared and merited correctly, they're solo artists. However, many of today's Rdm's have a difficult time transitioning from one to the other, with most just opting for the support role, especially if Clegs are beyond their reach. Me personally, never considered myself a true Rdm until I had them.
By Drjones 2011-12-01 15:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Back then you had idiots that got to 75 with nothing but rocks in their head. Nothing has changed other than the speed with which said troglodytes can reach the level cap.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2011-12-01 15:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »

Back then you had idiots that got to 75 with nothing but rocks in their head. Nothing has changed other than the speed with which said troglodytes can reach the level cap.

i know. but there are just as many idiots if not more now.

but mainly more ppl with underskilled jobs.

im not saying that ppl who played pre-abyssea learned "faster" than ppl who came around abbysea.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-12-01 15:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »

Rdm's primary role in any event was to abbreviate the battle. Geared and merited correctly, they're solo artists. However, many of today's Rdm's have a difficult time transitioning from one to the other, with most just opting for the support role, especially if Clegs are beyond their reach. Me personally, never considered myself a true Rdm until I had them.
I pretty much stopped playing RDM when the third abyssea expension came out, but the RDM of today is nothing compared to the Job it was back then.I really hope for a powerfull come back though!It's an awesome job and it deserves to shine aggain.

Oh god, the famous Clegs xDD Maybe it's just a server thing but it was PLD > BLU > DRK > DRG and then if you're super duper lucky it was the RDM turn D: I hated it but it was like ppl doing Omega only and never doing ultima ;_;
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-12-01 15:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalilla this thread should never have been created ~.~
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-12-01 15:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
:(
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-12-01 15:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Except, no. There are a handful of jobs that I had relative mastery over within a few minutes of burning them to the current cap. That isn't because I posses some arcane knowledge that unlocks the secrets of the game for me. Its because I'm not an idiot, and my non-idiot status, as well as my desire to perform at my best no matter the task, carried over to FFXI. If you run into morons in-game, it's because they're morons out of the game, or simply don't care to understand how their poor performance burdens others. It's not because they haven't had an opportunity to learn the ins and outs of their current job. This game has a five-minute learning curve, maximum.
[+]
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2011-12-01 15:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
:(

why does ur "posts" read only 2,679? D:
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-12-01 15:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No.

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
Wlegs' movespeed is more of a convenience than a gamebreaker... and there's really not anything worth soloing on RDM these days. The content that can be solo'd with some degree of efficiency can be done better on other jobs because it's just old content or new fodder, anything else is just epeening. If that's your gig then knock yourself out, but it's not functional in the current environment and SE should focus on improving RDM within the context of modern gameplay/events.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-12-01 15:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I love Raen's ideas on fixing RDM's Crisis. I just wish SE would follow through on adjusting RDM for said purposes, or else there is no future for the job. :(

I'd love to add RDM to my current selection of main jobs again when RDM gets the last laugh!
[+]