user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-22 12:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

08-22-2011 12:25 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Alrighty then...I did some snooping and this is what I found:

When using Bully, it's not a one time intimidate type thing. While under the effect of the ability you have the chance of intimidating for a set period of time.

Effect duration wise, since this is still in-development it has not been solidified just yet, but it will most likely be about the same duration as Conspirator.

Bully will work on NMs, but it will be a bit more difficult to intimidate them (to be fair they are huge scary monsters so...).

*Please note that this ability is still in-development and the specifics are subject to change.

09-02-2011 02:20 PM
[source]
Bayohne
Community Rep

The recast time for Bully has been reduced from 5 minutes to 3 minutes, and while active, the effects of Treasure Hunter are more likely to increase. (However, the probability of the opponent being intimidated is lowered in correlation to the number of players involved in the battle.)

The updated data is now reflected on the Test Server, so please give it a shot.

09-06-2011 12:57 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Morning! Sorry to make you all wait at the edges of your seats for what has been posted about Bully. Hope you all had a good labor day weekend.

Last week we added an effect to Bully that would make it easier to increase the effect of Treasure Hunter.

Based on feedback we received about this, we decided to go a different route and add an effect we felt would make you all a bit happier.

The changes to the effects are described below:

• Bully (THF lvl.93 Recast time: 3 minutes Effect Duration: 30 seconds)
    Intimidates target
    While under its effect: Possible to use Sneak Attack when not behind an enemy.

Bismarck.Danz
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2011-08-22 12:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

still in development? why do i have a feeling this update is going to be uber late -.-;

Edit* it is! by a whole month. /shocker. oh well it was expected. time to grind away for another month
[+]
 Asura.Kaisuko
Server: Asura
user: Kaisuko
By Asura.Kaisuko 2011-08-22 12:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So it's like an unspecified x-circle effect? Making the original x-circle effects less relevant than they are now? lol
 Sylph.Seriin
Server: Sylph
user: Seriin
By Sylph.Seriin 2011-08-22 13:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The circle moves still have their place (lol) in that they are used specifically against certain mob types and get other bonuses beyond the intimidate.

It certainly isn't going to hurt to use it.. and most of the time you have a thief around anyway for TH.. That being said it does seem a little bit of an odd ability.
By Kalima 2011-08-22 14:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

At least they admitted it will work on Nms which is much more than I expected. I also expect that the THF will probably need the mob to face him and that it wont interrupt anything major like spells or tp moves.

Guess we will have to wait and see...
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-08-22 14:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If the duration is indeed as short as conspirator, this ability sounds even more useless than I had originally thought. Hopefully the ability that compliments SATA will at least be useful, whatever is is...
By Artemicion 2011-08-22 14:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I never understood why Thief got Bully, since the primary function and emphasis of the ability is to intimidate.
I don't see a class that thrives in feint or stealth like attacks to fool monsters and divert enmity while dishing out stabby goodness, has any sort of front line intimidation capacity.
I understand Thief would be a "bully" in the sense of being relentless with their swift knife attacks, but frankly I don't see this as a sort of war face intimidation sort of thing belonging to thief.
If anything, it belongs to (based strictly on being conducive to a particular class) Warrior.

A cool idea is to make Bully a job trait that applies when using Warcry.
That seems to make a lot more sense in the logical aspect.
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-08-22 15:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do I get the feeling that the developers have a list of ideas on a large dart board. They choose two darts at random each with a random job on them. Then they throw the darts at the board and voila; job adjustments.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-22 15:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

THF needs more group utility in the form of enhancing drops/items and gil. They need to be able to steal more things, I never used THF in past FF's unless I wanted additional treasure.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-08-22 15:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
I never understood why Thief got Bully, since the primary function and emphasis of the ability is to intimidate.
I don't see a class that thrives in feint or stealth like attacks to fool monsters and divert enmity while dishing out stabby goodness, has any sort of front line intimidation capacity.
I understand Thief would be a "bully" in the sense of being relentless with their swift knife attacks, but frankly I don't see this as a sort of war face intimidation sort of thing belonging to thief.
If anything, it belongs to (based strictly on being conducive to a particular class) Warrior.
Mug?
By Artemicion 2011-08-22 15:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Mug?

I see what you're getting at, but Mug was used in the context of taking currency rather than "stealing" one's valuables, despite the definition of mug being to assault viciously, often with the intention of taking one's money.
Bully still doesn't quite seem conducive to the deceptive nature of Thief. If anything, Flee solidifies the stance that they're swift, agile, money hungry go getters and keen on trickery and backstabbing more so than being up front, personal and intimidating.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-08-22 15:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
I never understood why Thief got Bully, since the primary function and emphasis of the ability is to intimidate. I don't see a class that thrives in feint or stealth like attacks to fool monsters and divert enmity while dishing out stabby goodness, has any sort of front line intimidation capacity. I understand Thief would be a "bully" in the sense of being relentless with their swift knife attacks, but frankly I don't see this as a sort of war face intimidation sort of thing belonging to thief. If anything, it belongs to (based strictly on being conducive to a particular class) Warrior.
Mug?
I see what you're getting at, but Mug was used in the context of taking currency rather than "stealing" one's valuables, despite the definition of mug being to assault viciously, often with the intention of taking one's money. Bully still doesn't quite seem conducive to the deceptive nature of Thief. If anything, Flee solidifies the stance that they're swift, agile, money hungry go getters and keen on trickery and backstabbing more so than being up front, personal and intimidating.
Well for what's it worth, an old definition of the word bully is, "Someone hired to commit violent acts."
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-08-22 15:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bully is clearly a BST ability. This JA makes absolutely no sense, just like Bounty Shot makes absolutely no sense for RNG. That said, I'm not complaining about either ability, they just don't make sense for their associated jobs.
[+]
By Kalima 2011-08-22 15:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually thought the same thing, this JA doesn't really seem THF like...you would think mobs would be more scared of the dude with the big effin G axe instead of the guy with two tiny daggers. On the other hand...this is SE logic we're talking about...

I would even say switch THFs new JA with DNC while changing both. Give THF a new triple attack JA that crits all hits on a 2-3 min timer and stacks with WSs while giving DNC an intimdate move that works with sambas.
 Sylph.Kiaru
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 15:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to figure out why exactly THF need an ability like this to help them out........

yeah, not seeing it, can SE stop adding RANDOM *** abilities that don't actually help the jobs become better? WTF?

They seriously need to start adding abilities that help jobs out instead of picking them out of a hat :/
Quote:
THF needs more group utility in the form of enhancing drops/items and gil. They need to be able to steal more things, I never used THF in past FF's unless I wanted additional treasure.

Yeah, they need more hate control and more ways to make mobs drop crap or to steal crap or to take gil etc. You know, things that would actually help the job...................

Another reason this ability makes no sense is because if you're using a THF TANK he/she can't proc TH very well due to not being able to SA and TA :/ Not to mention the fact THF gets TA which is a way to PLACE HATE ONTO OTHER PEOPLE WTF WTF WTF?

Unless I'm wrong and it's castable on other players, then that's cool :x Still random and dumb though.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 15:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

I always wanted steal to enhance the TH level.

Or an ability called "Dislodge" or something on a five minute timer, that enhances the TH level by one.
By Alaik 2011-08-22 15:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4 5% activation rate on NMs, 5 minute recast and 30 second duration.
By Artemicion 2011-08-22 16:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd start by reducing the recast of Accomplice. It's very effective, but 5 minutes is heafty for having Collaborator on a one minute recast and being 50% as effective.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 16:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd start by reducing the recast of Accomplice. It's very effective, but 5 minutes is heafty for having Collaborator on a one minute recast and being 50% as effective.
That'd be nice, I never use accomplice because of its long recast and the fact it shares a recast with collab :(
By Artemicion 2011-08-22 16:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It just seems strange to have this projected image or "vision" as they put it, of thief being a support damage dealer that redirects enmity constructively to help keep damage dealers on an even foundation then keep the only tools in that aspect limited, and instead give them intimidation but no boost for dishing out damage or tools to redirect enmity? At least they're not the 1% TH pokers like they used to be.
 Shiva.Khimaira
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-08-22 16:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said: »

I always wanted steal to enhance the TH level.

Or an ability called "Dislodge" or something on a five minute timer, that enhances the TH level by one.

Horribad name, but not a bad idea. SE would make it with like a 90% chance of failure, but meh, it's better than nothing.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 16:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

They should really make new steal abilities. A steal move that takes a random move from the mob for 30 seconds (So they can't use it, not so you can use it). on a 2 minute timer or something.

Being able to steal STR, DEX, AGI, etc wouldn't be too bad either if it was potent enough.
By Artemicion 2011-08-22 16:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Well for what's it worth, an old definition of the word bully is, "Someone hired to commit violent acts."

That's true, but I suppose the definition has waned over the past 6 decades or so to something a little more like this, which I still can't see thief living up to.

[+]
By Artemicion 2011-08-22 16:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

They should really make new steal abilities. A steal move that takes a random move from the mob for 30 seconds (So they can't use it, not so you can use it). on a 2 minute timer or something.

Being able to steal STR, DEX, AGI, etc wouldn't be too bad either if it was potent enough.

Would be nice if they simply divorced Aura Steal from the Steal ability in of itself. It bugged me when I tried to nab an item and I got a buff from the mob instead D:
Though I like your idea of how thief can hinder the mob without having a confrontational aspect to it. They are meant to be vicious backstabbers after all.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-08-22 16:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on the activation rate of the intimidation effect, this could have it's uses against TP spam NMs, but I'm not expecting much.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 16:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Aura steal should be seperate on a MUCH lower CD imo. I only use steal to steal buffs now cause taking items has a 99.99% chance of not working...so useless ._.
By Artemicion 2011-08-22 16:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, Thief is pretty effective in marksmanship skill.
It would be neat if they introduced some more status ailment bolts and gave thief something to enhance their potency and/or duration.

Just a thought. Brainstorming right now.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-22 16:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that would be good, I think it would be cool also if thief could steal special items that can be used vs the NM. Like being able to steal an item that locks a ws like you said or you can use to mix with ingredients and make a grenade or something lol, like rikku in FFX.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 16:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that would be good, I think it would be cool also if thief could steal special items that can be used vs the NM. Like being able to steal an item that locks a ws like you said or you can use to mix with ingredients and make a grenade or something lol, like rikku in FFX.

Yeah that would be pretty awesome

It wouldn't actually be too hard to code either, just make each mob family have a special item that you get as a temp until the mob is dead, and using that item Enfeebles them in a way beneficial and unattainable by other jobs

The whole mix thing would be cool, or just make items more effective on thf and make it so they have like 3 temps get refunded into their items every 2 mins or something. (I've given up on the chance of there being a chemist job after all D:)
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-08-22 16:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They should really make new steal abilities. A steal move that takes a random move from the mob for 30 seconds (So they can't use it, not so you can use it). on a 2 minute timer or something. Being able to steal STR, DEX, AGI, etc wouldn't be too bad either if it was potent enough.

NO.
[+]
First Page 2 3