Caladabolg Build.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Caladabolg Build.
Caladabolg Build.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 15 16 17
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-26 14:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

was screwing around this morning on my pld leveling it from 85 to 90.
was pld/war using stout arm, alpha/omega and mounted champion.
when i hit 90 was using this gear ~ don't have enough seals to upgrade creed to +1~

I was doing about 1500~2100 damage torcleavers with/without berserk and stalwarts drink. As for just regular melee hits was doing about 100~250 and crits of 250~350 without aftermath. So iono, I had fun, going to get some +1 and make it +2 and see what I can do.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-26 14:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bibiki seashell goes where?
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-26 14:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bibiki Seashell goes where?
lol don't have it, too lazy to quest
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-26 14:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

I think, not counting lolwaiting, it took 11minutes of actual input. Just do it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-26 14:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

I think, not counting lolwaiting, it took 11minutes of actual input. Just do it.
lol fine~ i'll do it after i come back from doing a survey for +10 points to my final grade for public policy o-o
 Bismarck.Pimpjuice
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pimpjuice 2011-04-26 14:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

lol fine~ i'll do it after i come back from doing a survey for +10 points to my final grade for public policy o-o
off the subject but your avatar is sexy lol.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-26 15:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Pimpjuice said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

I'll be honest, it's the only reason I even stay in this thread or keep a conversation going. Just hopin' to see another instance of that avatar.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-26 22:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Pimpjuice said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

<_<

I second that...
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-27 10:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyways can someone explain why using koenig/kaiser gear for torcleaver is a bad idea. I know it has -str but with cruor buffs would it really matter?
I know there is some gear that has both str and vit like ares/twilight creed gauntlets+2.

anywho don't flame me for saying this -i know i'm going to regret it cuz lack of enough data for this- but

Entered abyssea-misreaux and fought some apkallu and the spiders as
PLD/SAM using Stout Arm, A&O, Mounted Champion using this gear:

I was doing torcleavers usually around the 2.1k range and I tried the same thing in besieged against the mamool ja invasion. Was doing anywhere between 1k~2.1k damage. so its like a WTF am I just seeing high numbers or should Drk be doing more damage. Cuz from what I've mainly seen/heard is that the avg torcleaver is like 2.2k ish.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-27 10:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The Creed Gauntlets +2 are better than Koenig.

It's not just that Koenig has -STR, it's that it has a lot of it, and there's superior options. Torcleaver does not receive any kind of pDIF bonus, in fact, it sometimes feels as though it is penalized. So a lot of -STR can really add up to a lot of -attack on a two handed weapon.

The actual weapon skill's damage cap itself, is theoretically the same on Dark Knight, as it would be for Paladin. They have remarkably similar base attributes and gear selections. Dark Knight can just make more VIT compromises because of their huge attack bonus job traits.

Your Torcleavers were actually, kind of on the low-end for having Mounted Champion up. I manage around 2.4k without it or Griffon's Claw, though I do have the TP Bonus+25 earring.
 Ragnarok.Returner
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-04-27 10:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If your cratio is capped due to having good attack buffs, then there really isn't a difference between using Torcleaver as a Pld or as a Drk. Pld has some better options for the WS such as AF3+2 hands and some Koenig stuff if the -STR doesn't hurt you much in abyssea. There is no surprise that it does that well when you have proper attack. It is similar to how back then lvl 75 pld/sam was having success in merit party spamming spinning slash. Thanks to the 50% ratio bonus of spinning slash, plds were able to do the same type of damage as a drk minus LR, SE, and the native attack trait during tp phase. It was parsed to be better than Joy/justice /nin even at bird with the piercing bonus. So this really doesn't come as a surprise.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-27 11:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
The Creed Gauntlets +2 are better than Koenig.

It's not just that Koenig has -STR, it's that it has a lot of it, and there's superior options. Torcleaver does not receive any kind of pDIF bonus, in fact, it sometimes feels as though it is penalized. So a lot of -STR can really add up to a lot of -attack on a two handed weapon.

The actual weapon skill's damage cap itself, is theoretically the same on Dark Knight, as it would be for Paladin. They have remarkably similar base attributes and gear selections. Dark Knight can just make more VIT compromises because of their huge attack bonus job traits.

Your Torcleavers were actually, kind of on the low-end for having Mounted Champion up. I manage around 2.4k without it or Griffon's Claw, though I do have the TP Bonus+25 earring.
I see you're point there. But without having the TP bonus+25 earring and griffon's claw yeah I would assume it would be lower compared to yours obviously. But the damage is still good for not having those 2 things. I was thinking of possibly trying to get the koenig legs later on because -5 str isn't a big deal in or out of abyssea using hasso or high str&vit pieces. but still kinda cool to see that kind of damage from pld in and out of abyssea.
btw Getting my bibiki seashell in like 5min :D

but comparing torcleaver vs almace's ws which is better for in&out of abyssea? I'm assuming its the almace for in, but torcleaver for out?
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-04-27 11:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

yep, almace outside is very hard for pld to gear for due to the lack of critical hit and dex options. Under low critical hit rate, that WS is no where near as good as torcleaver. However, you do get to keep your shield on so unless you are going full out DD, sword/shield option is overall better for the purpose of pld, if there still is one.
 Ifrit.Creaucent
Server: Ifrit
user: Creaucent
By Ifrit.Creaucent 2011-04-27 19:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said:
yep, almace outside is very hard for pld to gear for due to the lack of critical hit and dex options. Under low critical hit rate, that WS is no where near as good as torcleaver. However, you do get to keep your shield on so unless you are going full out DD, sword/shield option is overall better for the purpose of pld, if there still is one.

lulwut? ive got dex+58 that includes the 10 off almace and thats with out Twilight Mail/Helm with those id get dex+69 as well as str+40-50
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-04-27 22:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

And how much attack you gonna lose from stacking all that?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-04-27 23:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hecatomb legs and Twilight Helm are +45 attack- and that's just 2 slots.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-27 23:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Now I'm curious, is this the best stuff a PLD can put up for Almace? XD

Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-04-27 23:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That was what I was thinking of when I replied (well, was thinking of Heca mittens actually, but Creed+2 is probably better unless you need the dDEX).
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-04-28 09:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually they do have more dex options than I thought, that's a nice set. Tho even with all that dex, you are probably not capping critical hit rate on anything meaningful, and potentially missing the best portion of the dDEX tiers where 2 or 1 DEX is 1% critical hit rate. But now a day with spellcast you can have a few sets depending on mobs so that's not a problem. Kudos to you on that observation.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-28 09:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

lithe boots Offer more DEX than Hct+1 Leggings.

PLD isn't exactly lacking in the STR department, I think they could get away with it.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-28 15:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeh, I made that set rq out of pure curiosity.

For the dDEX issue, the set could always be improved with Twilight mail, Hecatomb mittens ad Lithe boots, therefore gaining an additional 11-12(hq heca) DEX.

Between Lithe and Heca feet (HQ) though, I'd probably choose heca for the 7 STR rather than Lithe for the extra 2 DEX
 Ifrit.Creaucent
By Ifrit.Creaucent 2011-04-28 17:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said:
Actually they do have more dex options than I thought, that's a nice set. Tho even with all that dex, you are probably not capping critical hit rate on anything meaningful, and potentially missing the best portion of the dDEX tiers where 2 or 1 DEX is 1% critical hit rate. But now a day with spellcast you can have a few sets depending on mobs so that's not a problem. Kudos to you on that observation.

Dunno my drg was capping dDex fine, at 75, on most stuff so wont be that hard for pld and +58-69 dex.

Mainly for outside Abyssea, could probably switch in Atheling Mantel and a Centaurus earring.

For inside Abyssea where crit is gunna ba capped
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-04-29 00:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not sure what makes you think +58-69 dex will cap your dDex on anything higher than merit bird back then at 75, it is one of the hardest thing to parse or observe and calculate without knowing mob stats. Now a day if you are talking about outside abyssea then it is easy to do cuz the mob level stays the same as it was in 75. But with them planning for harder stuff outside abyssea, I am not sure that much dex is going to cap you even with lvl 90 base stats.

I tried to cap dDex on my drg back then and decided that it was not worth it cuz I could barely cap it on merit bird and the sacrifice was way more than the gain. I did not have hecatomb legs, and that would help alot, but aside from that, I have all the dex options a drg had. Perhaps you are a mithra or you are under estimating mob's AGI and how much it takes to cap dDex? It was doable but never "easy" unless you are excluding the sacrifice you make.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-29 02:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said:
I am not sure what makes you think +58-69 dex will cap your dDex on anything higher than merit bird back then at 75, it is one of the hardest thing to parse or observe and calculate without knowing mob stats. Now a day if you are talking about outside abyssea then it is easy to do cuz the mob level stays the same as it was in 75. But with them planning for harder stuff outside abyssea, I am not sure that much dex is going to cap you even with lvl 90 base stats.

I tried to cap dDex on my drg back then and decided that it was not worth it cuz I could barely cap it on merit bird and the sacrifice was way more than the gain. I did not have hecatomb legs, and that would help alot, but aside from that, I have all the dex options a drg had. Perhaps you are a mithra or you are under estimating mob's AGI and how much it takes to cap dDex? It was doable but never "easy" unless you are excluding the sacrifice you make.
you can test this maybe with combinations of atma/cruor buffs or lack of, but it will vary from monster to monster. But I think a good combination of str/dex/attack would fair better than just stacking straight dex
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-04-29 10:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what I meant by "not easy" back then at 75. Now a day it is easy to do without sacrifice inside abyssea with cruor buff and outside abyssea with mob lvl staying the same. I was just surprised that he had such an easy time capping dDex on anything meaningful on DRG back in lvl75 without sacrificing a huge amount of other stats. I know I had a very hard time doing that even on birds. Other jobs got it slightly easier like warriors and ninja with byakko pants.

I mean, as an elvaan, you got 63 base dex at 75, greater colibri got 67 agi. You will need 119 to safely cap it, meaning you will need +56 dex as an elvaan to cap it. With the setup of the following as lvl 75:

Hecatomb Cap (5)/Love Torque (5)/Dex Earring (2)/Black Tathlum (1)
Zahak's (10)/Heca Mitts (4)/Rajas (5)/Thunder (5)
Cuchulain (4)/Warwolf (5)/Heca Legs (8)/Heca Feet (3)

You have a total of 57, barely capped at bird, and if you do heca +1, then you can add like 4 extra dex. You are still sacrificing a ring, a ear, back, neck, and ammo slot (I would go with astrolube back then). With anything harder, you are looking at missing out on the best portion of dDex. That's why I don't get how it was easy.

If they bring abyssea mobs outside, which seems to have AGI 90, then you will need 142 DEX to cap. With 73 dex as pld/nin at lvl 90 as elvaan, you are going to need +69 dex to barely cap, it is not as easy as you think really.
 Ifrit.Creaucent
By Ifrit.Creaucent 2011-04-29 12:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You are missing a huge point, I never once said it was easy, i said it was do-able.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-29 12:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said:
That's what I meant by "not easy" back then at 75. Now a day it is easy to do without sacrifice inside abyssea with cruor buff and outside abyssea with mob lvl staying the same. I was just surprised that he had such an easy time capping dDex on anything meaningful on DRG back in lvl75 without sacrificing a huge amount of other stats. I know I had a very hard time doing that even on birds. Other jobs got it slightly easier like warriors and ninja with byakko pants.

I mean, as an elvaan, you got 63 base dex at 75, greater colibri got 67 agi. You will need 119 to safely cap it, meaning you will need +56 dex as an elvaan to cap it. With the setup of the following as lvl 75:

You have a total of 57, barely capped at bird, and if you do heca +1, then you can add like 4 extra dex. You are still sacrificing a ring, a ear, back, neck, and ammo slot (I would go with astrolube back then). With anything harder, you are looking at missing out on the best portion of dDex. That's why I don't get how it was easy.

If they bring abyssea mobs outside, which seems to have AGI 90, then you will need 142 DEX to cap. With 73 dex as pld/nin at lvl 90 as elvaan, you are going to need +69 dex to barely cap, it is not as easy as you think really.
back at 75 on drg, my friend used this I believe

nearly 1 shotted if not did 1 shot the birds there
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-29 13:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Threw Bomblet at 75? Your friend was a badass! Get him to hack me the next gear that's coming out plox.

Seriously, this thread needs moar Caladbolg D:
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-29 15:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said:

back at 75 on drg, my friend used this I believe

nearly 1 shotted if not did 1 shot the birds there

I wouldn't consider DRG a good example if the mobs used as reference are colibri simply because they're weak to piercing and Drakesbane broke DRG/SAM in merit pties.

Still, the gear is out there for most DDs. It's just a matter of realizing how to use it efficiently in inside and outside Abyssea.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-29 17:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Threw Bomblet at 75? Your friend was a badass! Get him to hack me the next gear that's coming out plox.

Seriously, this thread needs moar Caladbolg D:

lol wrong ammo xD I meant to put angons
First Page 2 3 4 ... 15 16 17